NYJetsFan.com Forums: Darrelle Revis Waiting For Long Term Deal As He Hopes To Retire As A Jet - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets start voluntary offseason programs today
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:47 PM) High fives are the best
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:47 PM) dat Chelsea tight butt hole
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) 0-0
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) whatever that means
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:59 PM) Some talk that Dennard might slide to round 2 now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby and Fuller are rising.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby absolute physical freak but really inconsistent as a player
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) loved him going into school but never grew into the player i thought he would become
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) I don't want Roby, afraid we take him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) f***ing draft should be this week, not 2 weeks from now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) I rather go get a CB like Phillip Gaines in round 3.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) 1-Odell Beckham Jr WR, 2-Jace Amaro TE, 3-Phillip Gaines CB.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:04 PM) Where is Marcus Roberson being projected
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:05 PM) round 2 I think
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:06 PM) he'll be a solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:18 PM) solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:19 PM) boston. strong.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) you're a clown
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) just for the record
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) FIRE RAUL
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) agreed
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) EJ > Raul
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) lmao
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) I wouldn't go that far
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) true
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) but its closer by the day
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:13 PM) LET'S GO RANGERS!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Boo rangers
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) boo the Knicks
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Let's go wizards!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM) SANTANA DESERVES BETTER
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:56 PM) Just landed in Reagan jumping on the wizards bandwagon taxi right out the gate
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:47 PM) Tanaka looks good so far
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:45 PM) The title race is REAL
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) Teh Raptors!!!!!!!!!!
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Let's go Habs!
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:18 AM) Pineda looks good so far
santana Icon : (Today, 07:18 AM) Pineda solid pro
santana Icon : (Today, 07:19 AM) Pineda went Boston strong on Boston
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:57 AM) He has, except he is stupid for putting the shit on his neck. He has to hide that better.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) @Bischoff_Scott: Per a source, the #Lions are having discussions about moving #Suh before the draft to move up as high as possible in the first round.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) now that would be a fairly big move
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:46 AM) If they trade Suh to get Watkins, I would laugh. That doesn't really make their team better, they already have a high yardage passing attack
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:47 AM) They have the best WR in football and they signed Tate who will be a excellent #2 to Johnson
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:53 AM) too many smokes screens. f*** the extra 2 weeks of this shit, the draft should be tonight!
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Darrelle Revis Waiting For Long Term Deal As He Hopes To Retire As A Jet

#1 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Darrelle Revis’ five-year NFL career has been defined by brilliant play at the cornerback position, punctuated by a pair of contract holdouts. While the All-Pro has left the door open to the possibility of a third holdout this summer, underlying that possibility is one simple wish of his.
“I want to retire here,” Revis said in an interview Thursday. “I think Mike (Tannenbaum) knows that. I think Rex (Ryan) knows that. (The Jets) drafted me, they gave me a chance, so yeah, I want to be here and never play for another organization again. If they feel that, if Mike feels that I’m that type of person to be here, then they will compensate me. If not, then it’s the business of it.”
Revis emphasized that he has never said this offseason that he’s unhappy with the contract he signed in 2010, a seven-year deal that voids to a four-year, $46 million deal if he does not hold out. But he has refused to guarantee he will report to training camp in Cortland, N.Y., on July 26, fueling speculation.
“People think I’m mad or unhappy. I’m not mad or unhappy,” Revis said. “It’s a thing where some things were said, and I think that’s what people are really focusing on. It was a Band-Aid type of contract, and they were going to redo it or renew it, and it hasn’t happened yet.”
Revis’ current contract gave him the $16.25 million per-year average he was seeking over the first two years, including an $18 million option bonus earned last year. His compensation in 2012 and 2013 totals $13.5 million.
Revis said he “will try to honor (his contract) the best way I can,” but he’s also seeking a multi-year deal toward keeping him a Jet for life. When Revis refers to “some things” that were said, he means Tannenbaum publicly calling the deal an “intermediate step” to keeping Revis with the Jets for his career.
Revis said his representatives told him the Jets privately called the deal a “Band-Aid” as well. So Revis is waiting for the Band-Aid to be replaced, but for now at least, he seemed to put the ball in the Jets’ court.
“That was the initial talk of it,” he said, referring to the idea of getting a long-term extension done. “But it’s in a place where if Mike and them want to move on it, it’s really on them, on what they want to do. And then we’ll go from there. We’ll negotiate it out if that’s the case, and if not, then it’s not.”
The Jets have given no indications publicly that they’re open to renegotiating with two years left on Revis’ deal. Both Ryan and owner Woody Johnson deferred to Tannenbaum on the topic. Tannenbaum has said only that Revis is under contract, and the Jets look forward to accomplishing great things in 2012 with him.
Revis said he hasn’t talked in a while to his agents about his contract, instead choosing to focus on organized team activities. Earlier this offseason, he said he did not believe the Jets had contacted his agents about his contract.
Revis said he’ll sit down with his agents and “digest” scenarios to decide what’s best for his career. There is some fine print to consider. If he holds out, his deal will last three extra years at the modest price of $3 million per season, and he will lose the leverage of becoming a free agent after the 2013 season, with the team unable to franchise or transition tag him. He also has a $1 million bonus contingent upon reporting to camp in July.
Revis is not sure if these will play a part in his decision. He did say his experience in 2010, when he suffered a hamstring injury that nagged until midseason and scratched him from two games, would not be a factor.
While he admitted at the time that his 36-day holdout probably contributed to the injury, Revis said it’s impossible to gauge if or when injuries will occur. If a player is elite, he added, he knows how to be at the top of his game with or without training camp.
Revis said his focus has been doing everything he can on the field to help the Jets “redeem ourselves” after an 8-8 season. Off the field, though, there is an elephant in the room. Will the Jets make a move? Will Revis?
“I could come here every day and make a hassle, ‘I want to get paid,’ but if they don’t want to do that — if Mike doesn’t want to do that — then they don’t want to do that,” he said. “It might be that way. It might be they want to do it, but they’ve got to figure out the best situation to get it done.”
He added: “I saw a report on (TV), ‘Oh, he’s making this much this year, and he wants a new contract.’ Who doesn’t want a new contract? You can ask anybody in here, but the thing is if I really said it or not. I never came out and said, ‘I demand a new contract.’ I know what situation I’m in. I’ve got two years left on this deal, and when the time comes for Mike and Mr. Johnson and my representatives to talk and hash it out and figure out what is best for this organization or what’s best for me, then we’ll move forward.”

I'm not sure if he really would hold out, I think the reason he won't guarantee that he will be here for training camp is because he hasn't sat down and talked with his agents yet so he doesn't know what is going on with that and people assume that that means he is holding out.

But one of the things I put in bold point out how if he holds out he will lose leverage in his contract talks as he won't be a FA after 2013. That is a big factor I think, because the pressure will be on the Jets then as they can't franchise tag him as part of his contract.

So I am probably leaning towards he shows up at camp and plays this year out without a new deal, so that he has that 1 year remaining where he'll hit FA and the Jets will have a lot of pressure to try and get it done before he hits FA.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   JSOTF Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Not again! We dont need this drama all over again..... :sterb003:

#3 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hopefully they work something out soon. If the contract situation drags on into the season, then you never know if it will linger on Revis' mind or not. Further, if he doesn't holdout then there's going to be huge pressure on Tannenbaum come the end of next season. Surely then it makes sense to get something done in the coming weeks?

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

He won't retire a Jet. He's an all time great but he's got his own priorities.

#5 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 08 June 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

He won't retire a Jet. He's an all time great but he's got his own priorities.

If the Jets don't want to make him the highest paid CB, then they are stupid. Hes our biggest asset on defense.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 08 June 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

If the Jets don't want to make him the highest paid CB, then they are stupid. Hes our biggest asset on defense.

He can be gameplanned for. We're basically going to be paying $15M a year to have one WR every week not catch passes. Since teams often go 3 or 4 wide to counter that, we're better off spending that money on elite passrushers.

#7 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Trade Revis for Adrian Peterson :)

Kind of like the portis and bailey deal

#8 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 08 June 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

He can be gameplanned for. We're basically going to be paying $15M a year to have one WR every week not catch passes. Since teams often go 3 or 4 wide to counter that, we're better off spending that money on elite passrushers.

Like its that easy to get a elite pass rusher, Revis makes your secondary better because of how he can single up a top WR and allow coverage to shift to help others. Top 5 pass defense last year.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 08 June 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

Like its that easy to get a elite pass rusher, Revis makes your secondary better because of how he can single up a top WR and allow coverage to shift to help others. Top 5 pass defense last year.

I think that the amount of money it would take to retire Revis as a Jet would tie us up to the point that we won't be able to afford marquee guys at any position. QB, LT, C are all positions you can't gameplan around. If anyone of those guys stinks, your team isn't winning many games. CB, LB, WR and RB are positions where you can gamble with quantity over quality and hope to unearth some gems.

#10 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 08 June 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

I think that the amount of money it would take to retire Revis as a Jet would tie us up to the point that we won't be able to afford marquee guys at any position. QB, LT, C are all positions you can't gameplan around. If anyone of those guys stinks, your team isn't winning many games. CB, LB, WR and RB are positions where you can gamble with quantity over quality and hope to unearth some gems.

The Giants had elite pass rushers and our pass defense was way better. And if Revis makes 16 mil a season, that doesn't mean all 16 mil will count against the cap.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

the pats just locked up gronk for a long time making him the highest paid TE

revis will demand his market value which is to be paid as the best cb in the game
too bad he can't cover gronk

FACK
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!

#12 User is offline   SokeSleezy Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

i think the most important sentence was the last one...when the times comes they'll deal with it,feels like the Tebow news has run out and the media is just trying to stir shit up wit Revis..

#13 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 08 June 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

The Giants had elite pass rushers and our pass defense was way better. And if Revis makes 16 mil a season, that doesn't mean all 16 mil will count against the cap.

The Giants pass rush won them 2 Superbowls. How many playoff games has our pass defense won us?

#14 User is offline   bleedsgreen Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think its obvious at this point that Revis will be at camp and will play out his contract for this year but he wants a new contract at some point this season or he will hold out next season.
Posted Image

#15 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 09 June 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

The Giants pass rush won them 2 Superbowls. How many playoff games has our pass defense won us?

Our pass defense has been better period... SB are team achievements. Ben Roethlisberger had a awful game vs us in the AFC championship game, their run game and our offense giving up a TD on a fumble was why we weren't in the SB.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 09 June 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Our pass defense has been better period... SB are team achievements. Ben Roethlisberger had a awful game vs us in the AFC championship game, their run game and our offense giving up a TD on a fumble was why we weren't in the SB.

Pass rushers have a higher probability of affecting the opposing QB than do CB. A CB is just to easy to eliminate from the game. Yes, Revis shuts out the best WRs... but what about all the other guys? They can still play. Brady throws the ball to everyone and if you affect the way he's throwing, no one is having a good day on that offense.

#17 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well, elite pass rushers are rare. If you know one looking to get hired then that will be great, but it isn't as simple as not paying Revis=paying insert sackmaster here.

The Jets basically have to draft one, and then be put in the situation to choose between the two. Could we have vied for Mario Williams if Revis wasn't on the team? Maybe, but it isn't worth risking a guy not coming to not have an elite CB.

Nevermind your opinion in another thread that we didn't need better safties with how good of CBs we had.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#18 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostA1elbow, on 09 June 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Well, elite pass rushers are rare. If you know one looking to get hired then that will be great, but it isn't as simple as not paying Revis=paying insert sackmaster here.

The Jets basically have to draft one, and then be put in the situation to choose between the two. Could we have vied for Mario Williams if Revis wasn't on the team? Maybe, but it isn't worth risking a guy not coming to not have an elite CB.

Nevermind your opinion in another thread that we didn't need better safties with how good of CBs we had.

Exactly.

And personally, I rather have Revis than Mario Williams. I don't think hes a top 5 pass rusher. And maybe Coples will prove to be a good pass rusher and Maybin builds off of last season. Revis is the best CB in the game, he deserves to be paid like one when the time comes. I don't think hes going to holdout this summer and won't get a new deal until after the season.

View PostSecondHandJets, on 09 June 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Pass rushers have a higher probability of affecting the opposing QB than do CB. A CB is just to easy to eliminate from the game. Yes, Revis shuts out the best WRs... but what about all the other guys? They can still play. Brady throws the ball to everyone and if you affect the way he's throwing, no one is having a good day on that offense.

Revis changes things, you can match him up and then shift coverage to help others improving everyone. So it doesn't just effect 1 guy, it changes the secondary.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

don't forget revis has won us some games

i can recall 5 games or so where throwing his direction at the end of the game resulted in a turnover to give the jets the lead or the ball back in a crucial moment
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!

#20 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

You're half right. Elite pass rushers are few and far in between, however, they are out there. Guys like Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers all switched teams during their prime. Keep in mind that the new CBA keeps teams from overpaying for top draft picks, but it also makes those same top draft picks hit the FA market faster so instead of one elite passrusher hitting the market every 2-3 years, we're going to see one hit the market as frequently as every season. So yea, they do not grow on trees but they are out there and teams with cap room are going to go out and get them because they are true game changers on the D.

My opinion isn't given in a vacuum. Currently we do have tremendous CBs so we can afford to gamble at FS. We can do that because we have over $20M invested in two players back there (and our nickel back is making $3M). If Revis were gone and instead we'd get a mid tier $5-$6M/per year guy, guess what, now we can go and invest another $8M in a FS (which happens to be the number for the highest paid FS in the league right now).

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users