NYJetsFan.com Forums: Please Lift The Ban On Ej - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
santana Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) This isn't congress
santana Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) this is srszz bizness
MikeGangGree... Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) MGG FOR MOD IN 15!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (15 December 2014 - 11:42 PM) YES
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:49 PM) so do we beat the pats or just let them get the easy win
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 01:57 PM) At this point I am all about ruining their chance for home field.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:15 PM) FIRE IDZIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 02:24 PM) O we will win
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 02:24 PM) Rex will end his last game in metlife with a bang
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:44 PM) bang bang!
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:25 PM) You know Rex will dial up some crazy packages for Brady. He probably has that D-line all riled up already.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:44 PM) Riled up to get Fired up
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:19 PM) Connor Cook from MI State is projected to go in the middle of the first round.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 04:48 PM) Cook is not ready for the NFL.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) Lol cook??
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 04:54 PM) I think very highly of Connor Cook. But if he is projected to go in the first round of the 2015 draft, this is going to be a very weak draft.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:02 PM) Connor Cook is going back to school..
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) Lol school??
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:31 PM) I don't know anything about him but he was projected by two different mock drafts to go to the Texans
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:20 PM) Woody Johnson favorited a tweet about firing Idzik lol
jetfan4life12 Icon : (Today, 02:15 AM) woody better fire that ass clown if he wants fans to attend games next season. He messed the whole thing up by hiring a GM without letting him choose the coach. He likely was told no by the top 20 candidates and stuck himself with is dick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:18 AM) yup, I don't trust Idzik to make good use of our top draft pick or sign quality FAs. Or hire our next HC
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:18 AM) I want a new GM and HC
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 09:54 AM) Should I go Vincent Jackson or Jarvis Landry as my WR3?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 11:13 AM) i'd go landry
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 11:40 AM) The opposite of what Mr Jet thinks about it.
santana Icon : (Today, 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (Today, 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (Today, 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (Today, 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (Today, 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (Today, 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (Today, 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Today, 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (Today, 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (Today, 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please Lift The Ban On Ej

#21 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 11 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Stop living in 1993, Jordan is gone. Anyway he didn't start winning championships until after both Boston and Los Angeles got old and broke down.

Yea, cause Jordan didn't win anything after 1993... and the Lakers didn't start winning again until the Bulls, Rockets and Jazz got old and broke down.

#22 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostChaos, on 11 August 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm just happy the Nets are going to Brooklyn with a good team. They have a legitimate chance of getting a decent seed and making some noise in the playoffs as long as they remain healthy.

As for Dwight? He fucked up his chance for Brooklyn with the shenanigans he pulled last season at the trade deadline. Why did he sign the ETO waiver? Where was his agent through all of this?

And the Magic organization? I don't even know what they got out of this trade. In my eyes, Brooklyn's offer and Houston's offer was better than what they got. Hell a straight up Dwight-for-Bynum would have been better.

Well if things don't work out for Bynum in Philadelphia I could see him signing with the Nets next summer. I don't know what their cap situation will look like next summer but it could see him going there. It's not like he doesn't know what it's like to play in a big market. I just know Doug Collins better buy plenty of aspirin. Because his coaching style and Bynum's personality I don't see being a good mix if they get on a long losing streak.

I think if Dwight had decided to opt out to sign with Brooklyn this summer, Orlando would have made sure to trade him before the deadline. I think Orlando was so afraid they'd get nothing for Howard just like with Shaq, that they would have took any deal had Howard not opted in like he did. Plus the Nets couldn't give Orlando what they really wanted and that was draft picks since the Nets gave up multiple draft picks to get Derron Williams. Anyway if things don't work out in L.A. for Howard he still might end up in Brooklyn. I mean this year is championship or bust for the Lakers. Kobe and Nash are older than Derron Williams and Joe Johnson so the possibility of winning a championship would be better in Brooklyn long term. The only way I see Howard staying in L.A. if the Lakers don't win the title in 2013, is if they somehow get Chris Paul to sign with the Lakers next summer.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#23 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

D12 is resigning with LA. No way would the Lakers part with Bynum if they didn't feel 100% certain that he'd resign.

#24 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 11 August 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Yea, cause Jordan didn't win anything after 1993... and the Lakers didn't start winning again until the Bulls, Rockets and Jazz got old and broke down.

In 1993 Jordan was in his prime he was at his best that year. The early 90s Jordan was great mix of the above the rim player he was early in his career and the great shooter he was later in the 90s. His all around game was at it's best during that first 3 peat. The 1997 Jordan was not as good as the 1993 Jordan.

And I'll rephrase it for you. Jordan didn't start winning championships until Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers were old and broken down. Anyway those Bulls, Rockets, and Jazz teams were never as good as the Lakers and Celtics teams of the 80s. Those Lakers and Celtics teams had future Hall or Famers coming off the bench. Mario Ellie (Rockets), Shannon Anderson (Jazz), and even Steve Kerr (Bulls) aren't going to the Hall of Fame.

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#25 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 11 August 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

D12 is resigning with LA. No way would the Lakers part with Bynum if they didn't feel 100% certain that he'd resign.

The Lakers still have the best "center" on the team in Pau Gasol remember. If they lost Howard they'd just move Gasol to center and try to sign somebody else with the money they'd save from resigning Howard or Bynum. They have to start planning for a post Kobe and Nash Laker team anyway. They're going to need a guard in few years. Then again Pau Gasol might be the best player at that position too.

#26 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 11 August 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

And I'll rephrase it for you. Jordan didn't start winning championships until Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers were old and broken down. Anyway those Bulls, Rockets, and Jazz teams were never as good as the Lakers and Celtics teams of the 80s. Those Lakers and Celtics teams had future Hall or Famers coming off the bench. Mario Ellie (Rockets), Shannon Anderson (Jazz), and even Steve Kerr (Bulls) aren't going to the Hall of Fame.

Bird's Celtics broke down before the Bulls came to dominate. Bird's Celtics weren't championship caliber for half a decade when Jordan won his first ring. The Bulls took the East from the Pistons and not because anyone broke down. Michael's Bulls took the East from Dumars and Isiah who were still in their prime. The only one on that Piston's team who was downhill was Laimbeer. It wasn't a passing of the torch thing, it was a move-out-of-the-way-this-is-mine-for-the-next-decade type of thing. Speaking of those same Pistons, they were the ones that did the Lakers in. In 88 they took them to 7 games, in 89, they swept them. Magic was still in his prime. So was Worthy. In 1990 Clyde's Blazers won the West and in 1991, Michael put a fork into Showtime and got his first ring. The Lakers didn't get old and the Piston's didn't get old. The Lakers got their butt whooped for 4 seasons and Riley jumped ship after 3. Yea Kareem retired in the midst of that in 88 I think, but he was 20 years in the league up until that point. He was one step abouve what Jermaine O'Neal is now. I didn't hear anyone saying that the Celtics were a healthy Jermaine O'Neal away from winning in 2012.

Who are the HOFers coming off the bench for the Celts and the Magic? Old guys who were along for the ride. The Lakers had Karl Malone on their bench when they lost... no one was saying that they got beat even though they "had HOFers on their bench" because an old dude looking for one last shot at a ring is just an old dude. It meas nothing.

#27 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 11 August 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

The Lakers still have the best "center" on the team in Pau Gasol remember. If they lost Howard they'd just move Gasol to center and try to sign somebody else with the money they'd save from resigning Howard or Bynum. They have to start planning for a post Kobe and Nash Laker team anyway. They're going to need a guard in few years. Then again Pau Gasol might be the best player at that position too.

Yea, what was I thinking calling Gasol a C. He's clearly a PF. Nevermind that he's played C every time Bynum goes out, plays C on the Olympic team and was a C when the Grizzlies drafted him. The way you guys latch onto words is insane. Even women don't split hairs like this... you're mocking me calling him a C like he's never even been to the low post.

#28 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 11 August 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Bird's Celtics broke down before the Bulls came to dominate. Bird's Celtics weren't championship caliber for half a decade when Jordan won his first ring. The Bulls took the East from the Pistons and not because anyone broke down. Michael's Bulls took the East from Dumars and Isiah who were still in their prime. The only one on that Piston's team who was downhill was Laimbeer. It wasn't a passing of the torch thing, it was a move-out-of-the-way-this-is-mine-for-the-next-decade type of thing. Speaking of those same Pistons, they were the ones that did the Lakers in. In 88 they took them to 7 games, in 89, they swept them. Magic was still in his prime. So was Worthy. In 1990 Clyde's Blazers won the West and in 1991, Michael put a fork into Showtime and got his first ring. The Lakers didn't get old and the Piston's didn't get old. The Lakers got their butt whooped for 4 seasons and Riley jumped ship after 3.

First off with the Celtics, Jordan faced the Celtics in 1986 (the year Bird won the MVP). He got his butt whipped by them despite scoring 63 points in a game (Elgin Baylor scored 61 in the Finals versus Bill Russell's Celtics BTW). Bird's Celtics swept Jordan out of the 1986 playoffs. Boston again swept Jordan out of the playoffs the next year in 1987 too. So before Bird's back started to keep him side lined and he and McHale and Parrish were still at the top of their games they faced Jordan twice and "His Airness" went 0-6 in two playoff series against a Celtic team in it's prime. Bird's Celtics were slapping Jordan around before Isiah's Pistons even got their first shot at him in 1988. Like I said once Bird and the Celtics were older and in the twilight of their careers is when Jordan finally broke through. No matter how many points he scored, Jordan wasn't doing shit when Bird's Celtics were at their best. When it comes to the Celtics the best thing to happen to Michael Jordan were the deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis.

Magic turned 30 in 1989 and it was well known he had chronic knee problems by then. Plus that sweep in the 1989 Finals had a lot to do with Magic's hamstring injury in game 2 (not to mention Byron Scott's injury before game 1). The Lakers backcourt spent most of that Finals on the bench while the Pistons HOF backcourt played every game. I still think the Pistons would've won that year though. But if anybody stuck a fork into Showtime it wasn't Jordan or Isiah Thomas. It was Pat Riley and Jerry West. Riley lost favor with the players because of his hard driving coaching tactics (especially during practices) and he wanted more power in the front office (like he has now in Miami). All that caused strain between him and West and Jerry Buss. Plus in 1990 the Lakers lost their best defensive player in Michael Cooper too. The man that if he had been a few years younger would have likely been guarding Pippen in the 1991 Finals while Magic would have been on Michael. By 1991 the Lakers were not only old but had a lot more miles on their legs because of the longer seasons they had every year because they went to the Finals 8 times in 10 years. That includes the preseason and an 82 game regular season every year (and Riley's practices were so long and intense they might as well have been games). The Lakers played 114 games alone in 1988 more than any other team that year. All those late playoff runs year after year finally caught up to guys like Magic and Worthy by 1991. By the 1990-91 season Magic's averages were down from the season before. The Bulls just had a better coach and a better (younger and faster) team in 1991 than the Lakers did, simple as that. If it weren't for Scottie Pippen the Bulls might not have won that championship. It was his defense on Magic that kept Jordan from having to use up so much of his energy defending a bigger Magic Johnson that he was too tired to dominate offensively in the 4th quarter (which is what happened in game 1). But the 1991 Bulls wouldn't have beaten the 1985 or 87 Lakers.

Yea Kareem retired in the midst of that in 88 I think, but he was 20 years in the league up until that point. He was one step abouve what Jermaine O'Neal is now. I didn't hear anyone saying that the Celtics were a healthy Jermaine O'Neal away from winning in 2012.

Jermaine O'Neal in his prime wasn't even as good as Kareem at 38 years old.

Who are the HOFers coming off the bench for the Celts and the Magic? Old guys who were along for the ride. The Lakers had Karl Malone on their bench when they lost... no one was saying that they got beat even though they "had HOFers on their bench" because an old dude looking for one last shot at a ring is just an old dude. It meas nothing.

Bill Walton won the 6th man of the year award the year he won a championship with Boston and Bob McAdoo averaged 16 points a game in the 1982 playoffs and 11 points a game in the 85 playoffs. McAdoo averaged double digits all four seasons he came off the bench for the Lakers and they went to the Finals every one of those four seasons. You may think they were just old dudes along for the ride, but the facts and the stats show otherwise. They both played major factors in L.A.'s and Boston's championship runs in 1982 and 1985 (McAdoo) and 1986 (Walton). It's still iffy if Toni Kukoc is going to the Hall of Fame.

#29 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 11 August 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Yea, what was I thinking calling Gasol a C. He's clearly a PF. Nevermind that he's played C every time Bynum goes out, plays C on the Olympic team and was a C when the Grizzlies drafted him. The way you guys latch onto words is insane. Even women don't split hairs like this... you're mocking me calling him a C like he's never even been to the low post.

No the whole thing was you were calling Gasol the best center on the Lakers when he wasn't even playing center, Bynum was at that time. Yeah you're right he played center every time when Bynum was out. The key word there being "out." When Bynum was "in," Gasol was playing PF. If Gasol were truly the best center the Lakers had at that time, Phil Jackson (a man that knows more about putting basketball players in the right positions than you or I do) would have put Gasol at center even when Bynum was healthy. Gasol may have been the best center Memphis had and the best center team Spain has, but he's not the best center the Lakers had with Bynum or now with Howard in the game.

But then you also tried to argue how Gasol was also the best player on the Lakers, which you clearly know is bullshit. You were just saying that because you're a Kobe hater. Which is okay, but come on that was just ridiculous.

#30 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 12 August 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

First off with the Celtics, Jordan faced the Celtics in 1986 (the year Bird won the MVP). He got his butt whipped by them despite scoring 63 points in a game (Elgin Baylor scored 61 in the Finals versus Bill Russell's Celtics BTW). Bird's Celtics swept Jordan out of the 1986 playoffs. Boston again swept Jordan out of the playoffs the next year in 1987 too.

In 86, MJ was a 2nd year player who missed practically the entire season because of a broken foot. In 87, he was healthy but just in his 3rd year. He was playing on a 40 win team and even though he won the scoring title, he was basically what Dwayne Wade was after Shaq left and before The Decision: a one man show that can get to the rim. He didn't approach his potential yet. Not by a long shot.

So before Bird's back started to keep him side lined and he and McHale and Parrish were still at the top of their games they faced Jordan twice and "His Airness" went 0-6 in two playoff series against a Celtic team in it's prime.

The problem with that is that they faced a baby Jordan who was all about the highlight reel. Had that team ran into a Bulls team that had any talent outside MJ and an MJ in his prime, they would've maybe won 2 games.

Bill Walton won the 6th man of the year award the year he won a championship with Boston and Bob McAdoo averaged 16 points a game in the 1982 playoffs and 11 points a game in the 85 playoffs. McAdoo averaged double digits all four seasons he came off the bench for the Lakers and they went to the Finals every one of those four seasons. You may think they were just old dudes along for the ride, but the facts and the stats show otherwise. They both played major factors in L.A.'s and Boston's championship runs in 1982 and 1985 (McAdoo) and 1986 (Walton). It's still iffy if Toni Kukoc is going to the Hall of Fame.

Walton was a great player who up until 86 missed a ton of time with surgeries. I think 86 might have been the only year he actually didn't break down and go on the DL in a decade. Of course he won the 6th Man Award. We're talking about a guy who was probably the 5th best C in the NBA that year just happened to think that he didn't have any gas left in the tank so the year before he basically called up the Lakers and the Celtics and begged them for a roster spot. The Celtics said okay, you can back up Parrish and he happened to stay healthy that one year. That's like Brandon Roy coming back next year, backing up Rose and magically avoiding injury. Of course he's going to win the 6th Man Award. You brought up the fact that the Celtics had HOFers coming off the bench, which Walton was... but consider the circumstance. He was a HUGE injury risk and they basically rolled the dice with him because there was no salary cap and they figured anything he can do will just be extra. They got one full season out of him and that was it.

McAdoo was a pure scorer and nothing else. He bounced from team to team because even in the 70's, an undersized C with an outside shot and no defense wasn't going to win you anything. Him averaging 16 points is like Kobe averaging 16 points. When all you can do is shoot, scoring 16 points a night is very mediocre.

#31 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 12 August 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

No the whole thing was you were calling Gasol the best center on the Lakers when he wasn't even playing center, Bynum was at that time. Yeah you're right he played center every time when Bynum was out. The key word there being "out." When Bynum was "in," Gasol was playing PF. If Gasol were truly the best center the Lakers had at that time, Phil Jackson (a man that knows more about putting basketball players in the right positions than you or I do) would have put Gasol at center even when Bynum was healthy. Gasol may have been the best center Memphis had and the best center team Spain has, but he's not the best center the Lakers had with Bynum or now with Howard in the game.

But then you also tried to argue how Gasol was also the best player on the Lakers, which you clearly know is bullshit. You were just saying that because you're a Kobe hater. Which is okay, but come on that was just ridiculous.

No when I said that Gasol "was the best C in the NBA", in 2010, I felt that he was having his best regular season. The fact that he only plays C when Bynum is out, isn't a reflection on him... its a reflection on Bynum. Gasol is versatile enough to play both position, but Bynum isn't. When Amar'e and Chandler are on the floor together, Melo slides to the 3 even though he's a much better 4 than Amar'e. So is Melo automatically a 3 because when Amar'e is playing with him and Chandler he takes up the 4 spot? No, because that's retarded. A guy who can play more roles is more valuable than the guy who can only play one. The fact that Gasol is better than Bynum shouldn't even be an argument now much less 2 years ago (before Bynum actually played his first full season, that fat scrub).

You can swap out Kobe on the 2010 Lakers with any one of the following 10 players: Wade, LBJ, Melo, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, Durant, Ginobli, Eric Gordon and Josh Smith and you wouldn't have that much of a drop off. Kobe is a big draw, but he's a volume scorer who gives you not much of anything else. He's not a great locker room leader, he can't move laterally anymore and he can't get to the rim. If he wasn't who he was, he wouldn't get to the line as often as he does. Do the same for Gasol... who can you put on the 2010 Lakers that would have the same impact on the team? Garnett? Nope, too old. Bosh is one. Who else? Durant? Can't play the 5 even though he's the same height. That's what I meant. Gasol was one of the two irreplaceable people on the Lakers. The other is Phil Jackson. That's how I judge who the best player on a team is, not by who scores the most.

EDIT: Funny how I get shit for calling Gasol a C but he's in the All Star game every year as a 5. :banghead:

#32 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 12 August 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

In 86, MJ was a 2nd year player who missed practically the entire season because of a broken foot. In 87, he was healthy but just in his 3rd year. He was playing on a 40 win team and even though he won the scoring title, he was basically what Dwayne Wade was after Shaq left and before The Decision: a one man show that can get to the rim. He didn't approach his potential yet. Not by a long shot.

The problem with that is that they faced a baby Jordan who was all about the highlight reel. Had that team ran into a Bulls team that had any talent outside MJ and an MJ in his prime, they would've maybe won 2 games.

But I thought he was the greatest player of all-time. The way Jordan's nut suckers talk about him he could walk on water. Being in your second or third year is no excuse. Magic not only won the championship in his rookie season, he was the Finals MVP. He was the Finals MVP on a team that had Kareem, Jamaal Wilkes, and Norm Nixon. He then turned around and did it again in 1982. Bird won the title his 2nd year in the league. Those Lakers and Celtics teams of the 80s were more stacked with great players than the Bulls of the 90s. It doesn't matter if it was 1986 Jordan or 1993 Jordan or 1997 Jordan. When he and his team went up against Bird and his team in their primes, he lost. It wasn't until the Celtics got old that the Bulls finally broke through. Bill Cartwright wouldn't have been able to handle Parish one on one. Horace Grant wouldn't have been able to handle Kevin McHale in the post. Scottie Pippen would have had to use up a tremendous amount of energy guarding Larry Bird. And Dennis Johnson was better than B.J. Armstrong. The only match up the Bulls would win is Jordan versus Ainge.

Walton was a great player who up until 86 missed a ton of time with surgeries. I think 86 might have been the only year he actually didn't break down and go on the DL in a decade. Of course he won the 6th Man Award. We're talking about a guy who was probably the 5th best C in the NBA that year just happened to think that he didn't have any gas left in the tank so the year before he basically called up the Lakers and the Celtics and begged them for a roster spot. The Celtics said okay, you can back up Parrish and he happened to stay healthy that one year. That's like Brandon Roy coming back next year, backing up Rose and magically avoiding injury. Of course he's going to win the 6th Man Award. You brought up the fact that the Celtics had HOFers coming off the bench, which Walton was... but consider the circumstance. He was a HUGE injury risk and they basically rolled the dice with him because there was no salary cap and they figured anything he can do will just be extra. They got one full season out of him and that was it.

So Walton goes from a guy just along for the ride to "probably the 5th best center in the league that year." That's a pretty good compliment in a league that at the time had Kareem, Moses Malone, Olajuwan, Parish, Laimbeer, and rookie of the year Patrick Ewing. I said the Celtics and Lakers had HOFers coming off the bench. Then you said those guys (I assumed you meant the Hall of Famers) were "just along for the ride." Then I pointed out Walton was the sixth man of the year. Don't confuse that with comeback player of the year. The NBA said he was the best player that came off the bench in 1986. That's more than just going along for the ride. That's the whole point. He wasn't just some washed up scrub along for the ride. He was the sixth man of the year. His past injuries with the Blazers and Clippers is irrelevant to what he did in 1986 with Boston.

McAdoo was a pure scorer and nothing else. He bounced from team to team because even in the 70's, an undersized C with an outside shot and no defense wasn't going to win you anything. Him averaging 16 points is like Kobe averaging 16 points. When all you can do is shoot, scoring 16 points a night is very mediocre.

I guess those 16 points a game off the bench didn't help the Lakers win the title in 1982. Kobe is a starter right now so that comparison is just beyond ridiculous. You're just throwing Kobe's name in there to just throw his name in there. You can't compare a 30 year old 10 year vet (like McAdoo was) to a 34 year old 16 year vet with a lot more miles on his legs than McAdoo had in 1982. Again McAdoo was a sixth man who gave L.A. 16 points a game (in the playoffs). He was more than just going along for the ride. Guys like Bill Wennington and Ronnie Brown were guys who were along for the ride and neither one of the them is going into the HOF like Walton and McAdoo did. All the Lakers needed him to do was shoot and score while guys like Kareem and Wilkes got some rest. McAdoo was a contributer in all those Finals runs. McAdoo contributed more to the Lakers than Toni Kukoc did for the Bulls.

#33 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 12 August 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

No when I said that Gasol "was the best C in the NBA", in 2010, I felt that he was having his best regular season. The fact that he only plays C when Bynum is out, isn't a reflection on him... its a reflection on Bynum. Gasol is versatile enough to play both position, but Bynum isn't. When Amar'e and Chandler are on the floor together, Melo slides to the 3 even though he's a much better 4 than Amar'e. So is Melo automatically a 3 because when Amar'e is playing with him and Chandler he takes up the 4 spot? No, because that's retarded. A guy who can play more roles is more valuable than the guy who can only play one. The fact that Gasol is better than Bynum shouldn't even be an argument now much less 2 years ago (before Bynum actually played his first full season, that fat scrub).

Whether Gasol was more valuable and more versatile is irrelevant. You claimed he was the best center on the team, not that he was the more versatile. You claimed he was the best center when he wasn't even playing center at that time. I never said Bynum was better than Gasol two years ago or even right now. Gasol was and is a better PLAYER than Bynum, but when they're both healthy I'm putting Bynum as my center and Gasol as my PF. When Gasol played center he had trouble against the heavier and more athletic centers like Perkins and Howard respectively.

You can swap out Kobe on the 2010 Lakers with any one of the following 10 players: Wade, LBJ, Melo, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, Durant, Ginobli, Eric Gordon and Josh Smith and you wouldn't have that much of a drop off. Kobe is a big draw, but he's a volume scorer who gives you not much of anything else. He's not a great locker room leader, he can't move laterally anymore and he can't get to the rim. If he wasn't who he was, he wouldn't get to the line as often as he does. Do the same for Gasol... who can you put on the 2010 Lakers that would have the same impact on the team? Garnett? Nope, too old. Bosh is one. Who else? Durant? Can't play the 5 even though he's the same height. That's what I meant. Gasol was one of the two irreplaceable people on the Lakers. The other is Phil Jackson. That's how I judge who the best player on a team is, not by who scores the most.

Here we go with the Kobe hate. He's not a great locker room leader? Please. Guys like Gasol, Artest, Odom, Fisher and even Shaq and Phil Jackson have all said otherwise. I've seen some of his locker room speeches. I've heard his teammates talk about how he works with them on their games and how much they learn from him. Anybody with two eyes who doesn't instantly hate on him, has seen him coach his teammates while on the floor (especially this past season). And yeah he isn't as fast or quick as he use to be. He's 34 years old! He's played in over 1,300 games. He's a better shooter now than he was when he was younger so he doesn't need to drive to the rim and the triangle offense never really called on him to go to the rim. And don't talk to me about "if he wasn't who he was, he wouldn't get to the line as often as he does." Please Jordan got those star calls, so did Magic and Bird and Kareem and Barkley and Duncan and now Durant. They all get those calls. During Jordan's last season with the Bulls he shot 721 FTs. In 2010-11 (the last full 82 game season) Kobe shot just 583 FTs. Stars get those calls and Kobe doesn't get any more star treatment than any other great player has. I'd say many of those 721 FTs Jordan shot in 1997-98 he got because of "who he was" too.

You take Kobe off those 2009 and 2010 teams and the Lakers aren't even going to the playoffs. Kobe > Pau, the entire world except for you accepts that. Including Pau Gasol. Eric Gordon and Joe Johnson never have been and never will be as good as Kobe Bryant. If you weren't such a hater and would acknowledge that you wouldn't say ridiculous nonsense like that statement.

EDIT: Funny how I get shit for calling Gasol a C but he's in the All Star game every year as a 5. :banghead:

Yet except for he was never elected as a center. He never appeared on the ballot as a center and only played center when Yao and A'Mare were sitting on the bench resting. BTW Pau Gasol wasn't an All-Star this past season. Marc definitely had a better season this year. But the trade rumors likely effected Pau (which makes me question his mental toughness).

For the record I still remember the day Pau Gasol became a Laker and I'm extremely happy he's not going to be in Orlando or anywhere else this season. He's a great player in his own right. He's also the best second banana the Lakers have had since James Worthy and his number will be retired with the rest of the Lakers legends. But he never was and never will be better than Kobe.

#34 User is online   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image
Seems relevant
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#35 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Postsantana, on 18 August 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Posted Image
Seems relevant

Just as long as he doesn't star in Kazaam 2.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users