NYJetsFan.com Forums: What I Learned From The 1St Preseason Game: - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

2014 NYJetsFan Fantasy League sign up: http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38425
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 August 2014 - 07:14 PM) finally made a play on defense once Pryor came in
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 August 2014 - 07:15 PM) besides that INT, Geno looks better than last season IMO. seems more comfortable and is going through progressions.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 August 2014 - 07:18 PM) DeMario Davis seems like hes poised to have a breakout season at LB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 August 2014 - 07:50 PM) It was nice seeing Pryor in, he made some plays. I think hes going to be the real deal and that we will hit on a stud with him
azjetfan Icon : (16 August 2014 - 08:43 PM) The pick by Geno seemed to be more on Nelson. Nelson sat on his route. Geno threw it were he was supposed to be.
azjetfan Icon : (16 August 2014 - 08:44 PM) Who knows though
santana Icon : (16 August 2014 - 11:55 PM) http://gfycat.com/Mi...idHookersealion
santana Icon : (16 August 2014 - 11:55 PM) Gotta fix that
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:35 PM) Is anyone else as concerned as I am about the secondary?
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:36 PM) I know it's preseason and all but even with Milliner in on the first game we gave up a TD on the first drive to the Colts
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:37 PM) Patterson looked like me out there and Wilson got torched last night
Smedsthejet Icon : (17 August 2014 - 02:26 PM) Concerned about the right side of the OLine too - too many penalties and Giacomini wasn't that much better than against the Colts when he was poor
SackExchange71 Icon : (17 August 2014 - 02:31 PM) Imo i still think howard is better then giacomini..Wish they never let him walk.Giacomini had alot of flags in seattle also
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:33 AM) Howard recieved a huge contract in Oakland. Way over his actual value.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 10:08 AM) So did we make a trade for a CB yet?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:51 PM) Milliner did suffer a high ankle sprain, that sucks. could linger all year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:52 PM) I think Patterson sucked vs the Colts because he was injured, which he always is.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:49 PM) As much as people criticized Tannanbaum for spending too much. It's starting to look like Idzik is going to be too cheap.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) You get what you pay for and when you let quality players go because you don't want to pay them, this is what happens. You're left with scrub players.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 07:55 PM) I'm still on board with the Idzik plan. Even with Revis and Revis we still are not going to the SB this year. But the down time sucks. If Milliner comes back healthy by week 3 or so we should be fine.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 08:18 PM) Regardless of our SB chances this year or next year. If Idzik keeps acting like a cheapskate and continues to let quality players go, we won't have to worry about winning much of anything this decade.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) He wants to build through the draft. Not blow the bank on FA. I get what your saying but there is a balance and right now we are not one or two pieces away.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:00 PM) It's not about being one or two pieces away. It's about keeping the good pieces you have and building upon that.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:04 PM) But there is no sense in trying to build through the draft if he's only going to end up letting the good players he picks up go in FA after a few years. All because he wants to do things on the cheap.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:02 AM) FIRE IDZIK
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:33 AM) out side of Revis who left we should have kept?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 AM) The Revis deal sucks but $16 million was too much for a CB and once he was gone he was not coming back.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:00 AM) Matt Slauson
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 01:00 PM) Eh. I think with our current cap situation we will be able to retain guys like Wilkerson and whomever we want to keep. We are in a good position right now.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:49 PM) Time will tell.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:00 PM) landed revis abck. got DRC, nope we take patterson who got owned and always hurt. milner always hurt. 3rd round CB done for season. were gonna get passed on all day
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 02:44 PM) Yea the DRC bit makes me iffy
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) better then patterson
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:45 PM) No I mean the fact that he whiffed on him.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:46 PM) I'm not saying Idzik is perfect. I just like the direction we are heading. It's going to take some patience.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:27 PM) I like how our lack of secondary is the hot topic right now. The bigger issue is we still will not be able to throw the ball. We are not going to do much of anything regardless until we get a QB. Sorry for being so negative just my honest opinion.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) With that said I think our running game with CJ and Powell will be top 10 or somewhere around there
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:35 PM) i have faith that if geno messes up that vick can come in and do well. but i have 0 faith in our secondary right now which has been our strong point for the past 4 years or so
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:35 PM) I agree 115. but the one thing is Rex has done some good things in the past with shitty DBs and still had a solid D going back to his years in BAL
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:37 PM) Corey Ivy CB
36 Jim Leonhard SS/PR
43 Haruki Nakamura FS
25 Evan Oglesby CB
20 Ed Reed FS
22 Samari Rolle CB
39 Daren Stone FS
41 Frank Walker CB
31 Fabian Washington in 2008
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:39 PM) Reed is a HOF but Rolle was way past his prime
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) SNOOPY BOWL FRIDAY!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:26 PM) I assume we will pick up a guy after the cuts happen.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:14 PM) we'll see but I think we see better QB play than we have in a while.
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

What I Learned From The 1St Preseason Game:

#1 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

1. Our OL blows.

This is a unit that was intact for what? 5 years now? The only one we were missing last night was Wayne Hunter. I'm not going to get on them for letting Sanchez get hit 5 times in 1Q because it looked like Keller and Powell both missed blocks on those 2 sacks... but the running game... man. No push up front whatsoever. We're not going to be anytype of ground and pound team if we can't drive back the DL. Greene isn't the most shifty back ever, but there's not much you can do when the DL gets their hands on you in the backfield.

2. Bart Scott is going to lose his starting job.

I heard all the hype about how much weight he lost and how much faster he looks. Well last night he looked like a car with 3 wheels. Anytime he was in coverage over the middle, the Bengals picked on him. Since the NFL is quickly becoming a 70-30 league in terms of pass-run, you can't even call him a 2 down LBer anymore. TEs and RBs are going to carve us up in the middle if Scott is left in one on one coverage. Honestly, between our move to the 4-3 and everything I saw last night, the only thing keeps Scott on this team is the fact that no one will pick up his contract.

3. Chaz Schilens is not the 2nd best WR on the team.

For all the feathers that Cro seemed to ruffle, this dude was the most vocal about it. Come game time? He was out played by Patrick Turner and Hill. When you get in front of the microphones, make sure you back it up. You were in the game against 2nd and 3rd stringers and couldn't get open for shit. 0 catches, one pass thrown your way. Sit your ass down at the end of the bench.

4. I hate to say this but... Tim Tebow is going to be a problem.

Unfortunately it looks like our offense this year will not be good. I don't know why, but at this point, it seems like we can't run the ball down people's throats and we can't keep the defenses out of our backfield. We've seen this in 10 but we blamed it on Greene and McKnight, we've seen this in 11 and we blamed it on Hunter and Sanchez, but it seems like every week, the pass rush gets there before the WR is open or before Greene gets to the hole. The premium this year is going to be on moving the chains. Forget everything else. We're goinng to go with whoever gives the defense the most rest and can get us into FG position. Last night, I saw Tebow create. He broke out of arm tackles and rushed for 34 yards on4 carries. That's pretty good. Considering none of those came from under shotgun, that's even better. Mark is the better QB, but unless our OL suddenly decides to pass protect and Greene starts seeing the holes and getting to them a step faster, Sanchez is going to lose more and more snaps to Tebow because Tebow can get to the 1st down marker in 3 tries and no other personnel package can seem to do that.

5. Shonn Greene is done.

I was a big apologist for him but the guy is just not a starter. He might have a nice career on a team like the Pats, or somewhere else where they pass first, but not on a ground and pound team. Then again, he can't catch either. Greene is a big body back but unlike the big body backs that carried teams, he just doesn't have the foot speed. It takes him 3 steps to accelerate and that's just not going to cut it. The pupu platter of McKnight/Powell/Ganaway is going to produce our next starter and unfortunately, it won't be anyone that's going to keep defenses up at night.

6. Defense.

I liked what I saw from Coples. Hopefully when the whole squad is in there, we'll see a truly dominating unit.

#2 User is offline   LeonhardSkynyrd36 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Progression

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

What I learned from this post: Nothing.
ColesReturns87

#3 User is offline   518-JeTS-FaN Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:family, football, life and gaming hit me up on ps3 MTYSON

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

when bart got smoked on that one play i said damn he looks just as bad as last year. why wasnt davis in with the ones at all or maybe i missed it. I agree on your point pretty much but I just wanted to add that Coples looks like a monster

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Post518-JeTS-FaN, on 11 August 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I just wanted to add that Coples looks like a monster

I liked what I saw from Coples... but did it strike as a little odd that he was basically about to pass out from exhaustion in the 4th Q? I get it, he played the longest... but he didn't play all game. He was in on maybe 5 plays in the 1st Q. It was a night game and this is a young kid. What's going on with his stamina? If he can barely make it through 75% of a preseason game at night, I don't really feel like he's going to come up with that big sack at 3:45PM in Miami. You know? Not nitpicking, but he looked gassed beyond belief. I found that very odd.

#5 User is offline   SoReALSoJetS Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:THE JETS

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Guys its the first Pre-season game give them a break. Remember Offense will be very vanilla and you won;t see nearly as much as u will opening day. Remember Pre-season. These all won't matter in till we play game one. Pre-season for kinks and rookies.
"SO REAL SO JETS"
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostSoReALSoJetS, on 11 August 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Guys its the first Pre-season game give them a break. Remember Offense will be very vanilla and you won;t see nearly as much as u will opening day. Remember Pre-season. These all won't matter in till we play game one. Pre-season for kinks and rookies.

I hear you, which is why none of what I said is dire... except that preseason or not, our OL can't block, especially at the edges. We got Buffalo in less than a month. Do you feel confident with our line against theirs?

#7 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

HAHAHA

#8 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

First offensive play of the game
Sanchez pa fake roll out throws to the Fb Connor for zero gain.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#9 User is offline   518-JeTS-FaN Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

looks like same vanilla conservative O

#10 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

View Post518-JeTS-FaN, on 11 August 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

when bart got smoked on that one play i said damn he looks just as bad as last year. why wasnt davis in with the ones at all or maybe i missed it. I agree on your point pretty much but I just wanted to add that Coples looks like a monster

To be fair it wasn't just Bart out of the LB corps who gave up quite big pass plays to the Bengals. But it wasn't exactly a performance from which many positives can be taken. Coples did look good, his play against the run improving as the game wore on and Demario Davis appeared to get to the ballcarrier often be it on defence or special teams.
The rest? Meh.
Saying that the Bengals offense only put 10 points as they caught a huge break with the blocked punt that was returned for a TD. A pretty standard, boring preseason game to be honest.

#11 User is offline   C l u t c H 385 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Tannehill looked decent.

Oh hey guys.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

View Postsantana, on 11 August 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

First offensive play of the game
Sanchez pa fake roll out throws to the Fb Connor for zero gain.

That's the Sanchez I know. Just check it down. He's been "schottyfied" for life.

#13 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

First thing's first.

1. 1st game under Sparano. No Holmes, the WR core is young and inexperienced. Never really expected much.

2. The OL is horrible bottom line. At the end of the day Sanchez isn't going to see 16 games. This pass pro is disgusting, the run blocking was shameful. There is a lot of work to do upfront. A LOT.

3. Sanchez needs to be more lively out there. When Tebow was in the energy level of the offense spikes. Sanchez just has a "bah-humbug" kinda look to him. Kinda pisses me off a little. He needs to get fired up. He's got to be tired of looking like a sack of sh*t all the time.

4. On Bart Scott: Jets were experimenting with sets. I'm not concerned about Bart. Bart can't, hasn't been and will never be able cover. I don't expect him to be asked to cover much. Not worried about the defense. Rex will have that unit humming by September.

5. Never was a big Shonn Greene fan. He's a #2 back. He's a guy that should be in a 2 back system. Not the lone guy to tote the rock. Jets think Shonn is some beast. The guy is nothing special.

6. Coples is going to be a superstud. He's big, he's mean and he plays the run very well and disrupts. Mo.Wilk, Maybin and Coples are going to be a damn nuisance this year.

#14 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 11 August 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

That's the Sanchez I know. Just check it down. He's been "schottyfied" for life.

He got hit 5 times in 1Q in a game where the starters are going half speed. He's got David Carr syndrome at this point.

#15 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• Icon
  • View blog

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   518-JeTS-FaN Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

lmao sdubb! Thats hilarious.

#17 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostS-Dubb, on 11 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostClemens11, on 11 August 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

I'm hoping to god that post wasn't supposed to mean that you think Teblow is better than Sanchez. If you think that, then PLEASE put down whatever the hell it is that you're smoking. I don't want a repeat of 1995. That's exactly what we'd have if he was our QB.

As for last night's game......the O-line wasn't absolutely terrible as a whole. Griffin & Campbell were the knuckleheads. Austin Howard actually looked pretty decent on the Left side. The right side is where our problem is.

Our receivers? Who knows honestly. Sanchez never had time to throw and Teblow CAN'T so we never had the chance to find out.

Defense......there's no doubt that the player of the night was big 6'6" #98. Coples is going to be something special if the boy can get his stamina right. He was involved again & again last night. Let's just hope that wasn't only because of it being against 2nd & 3rd stringers. He looked good and he looked hungry. We've been missing that for a long time. We need him to become that beast that he can be.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#19 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

I learned little from last nights game other than it was the first preseason game and they have stuff to work on still. The OL is learning a new blocking scheme and they had miss blocks. I don't see what more Sanchez could have done, its not like he played much.

Shonn Greene is mediocre, its pretty clear watching him the last 3 years that hes just not a very talented RB. Hes usually at his best during the later months as well, he'll get you 3-4 yards a carry, but hes not a guy that will make something out of nothing and isn't explosive.

And I'm not worried about our defense at all.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

http://thejetsblog.c...ngals-part-one/

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply