NYJetsFan.com Forums: Why The Ny Jets Can Make The Super Bowl - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets pick up option on Wilkerson
Jetsfan115 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:33 PM) so i bet powell barely gets any touches this year and goodson gets cut
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:34 PM) Goodson is as good as gone.
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:34 PM) With all his legal issues and coming off injury he is done. Possibly even in the NFL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) Powell is average anyways.
Chaos Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) @ProFootballTalk 5m

Per source, Chris Johnson's two-year deal has a base value of $8 million, with another $1 million available in incentives based on yardage.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:40 PM) He does a lot of things well, but isn't talented enough. Johnson has breakaway ability still and Ivory is man beast running the football
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:41 PM) We will get another WR in the draft. Even in round 2 you can get a starting WR
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 04:09 PM) I am still standing by my CB in the first round and WR in the second prediction
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:19 PM) The title race is bale
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:34 PM) Sidney rice coming in for a visit
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:49 PM) I think the Jets are getting themselves ready to draft best player available
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:49 PM) Last year they stuck to their board
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) if they sign him I think that means they look to take a CB round 1
2JBallar01 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:32 PM) “@AdamSchefter: RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.”
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:51 PM) @AlbertBreer 2m
Sidney Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks on a one-year deal, per source.
Expand
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:55 PM) There is really only 2 CBs worth taking at 18
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:56 PM) I rather get a offensive playmaker
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM) LaMont Jordan was 34
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) liar
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) He wore #34 when he played for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) I should know I met him at an event in his last year with the JETS before he went to Oakland
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) GFYS 0099 you shit talker
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) http://www.nydailyne...entry-1.1758342
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) there's no reason we can't have someone off this site on that list too
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM) Rice resigned with Seattle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM) did you scare him into going to Oakland?
Chaos Icon : (16 April 2014 - 08:18 PM) unfortunately those sites are too much bigger than our
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 April 2014 - 10:51 PM) WOOOO
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM) I'm sure it's possible but this isn't a blog site as much as its a login and yell about the jets site
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (17 April 2014 - 07:39 AM) yeah...TheGangGreen didn't participate either. they're represented as a forum too on Google
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 01:11 PM) offesnive tehhhh
santana Icon : (17 April 2014 - 01:46 PM) 05 on point today
santana Icon : (17 April 2014 - 02:36 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 05:31 PM) It's 0099's favorite day of the year
ganggreen2003 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 05:32 PM) it's National High-5 day :WTF:
ganggreen2003 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 05:32 PM) who the hell high 5's people anymore
ganggreen2003 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 05:32 PM) just dap and leave it there
santana Icon : (17 April 2014 - 05:43 PM) everyone high 5s
santana Icon : (17 April 2014 - 05:44 PM) bubba watson when he won the masters last weekend went through a gauntlet of high 5s
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 06:05 PM) GG03 is the high 5 master
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 April 2014 - 06:07 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 April 2014 - 10:45 PM) People don't dap anymore either.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) Dapping is more manly than high 5ing which is really really really girly
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:05 PM) gg03 doesn't like that people left him hanging
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Why The Ny Jets Can Make The Super Bowl

#1 User is offline   extmenace Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

http://insider.espn....idates-2012-nfl

Can someone with insider post this article?

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady

17 POINTS!

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

I don't have insider, but someone posted it on another board

In most years, the Super Bowl is won by teams that made the playoffs in the prior campaign, as there have been only 11 cases in which teams went from not making the playoffs one year to hoisting the Lombardi Trophy the next.

While the chances of that happening this season aren't great, it should be noted this has happened six times in the past 13 seasons, so it is becoming more common of late.

There are a couple of teams that did not make the playoffs in 2011 that are already being touted as either divisional favorites (Philadelphia Eagles) or somewhat under-the-radar Super Bowl contenders (Chicago Bears) that would seem to be good candidates for making it seven teams in the past 14 seasons.

But let's take this one step further by looking at three teams that would truly fit the dark-horse label if they won the Super Bowl this season. Again, these aren't favorites, just teams that fit the profile.

New York Jets

Rex Ryan used to be the one to make Super Bowl predictions for his club. Now that he has imposed a filter on himself for that type of prognosticating, it is up to others to make those predictions instead.

The somewhat ironic part is that the Jets' Super Bowl case this year is stronger than it might seem at first glance.

It starts with Ryan's ability to coach defense. Last season was an admittedly less-than-stellar showing on that side of that ball, as New York allowed 24 or more points in eight games and 30 or more points in five games.

Having noted that, the Jets' D was still quite strong in a large number of categories. The Jets ranked tied for second in vertical yards per attempt allowed (9.3), were second in stretch vertical YPA (8.4), tied for fifth in defensive GBP (a stat from my draft guide that gauges defensive prowess against the run), and ranked tied for seventh in the bad decision rate (BDR) metric (3.2 percent) that measures a defense's ability to force the opposing quarterback to make mental errors that lead to turnover chances. (Note: Vertical passes are aerials thrown 11 or more yards, while stretch vertical passes are thrown 20 or more yards.)

Getting those kinds of numbers out of a subpar year goes to show just how truly adept Ryan is at defensive play-calling, so that part of the Ryan Super Bowl formula should hold up.

The Jets also could see improvements in their offense since their passing woes last year had as much to do with the poor play of Plaxico Burress than it did with any leadership deficiencies of Mark Sanchez. Of course, they aren't showing much yet, but the additions of Chaz Schilens and Stephen Hill should eventually make this team's vertical game much better than it was with Burress.

Add that to a strong rushing attack (New York ranked 10th in the league in good run-blocking rate), and it might be enough to vault Gang Green back into the postseason and onto the Super Bowl track Ryan has seen in this club's future in previous seasons.

It's really hard to overstate how little preseason performances can mean. Yes, I'm calling the Jets a dark horse, not a favorite. But it's because they're already extremely good in one area, and even competence in another could make them very good.

Carolina Panthers

Ryan Kalil promised a Super Bowl win this year and both his team's quarterback and owner backed him up on it.

There are more than a few metric elements that back him up as well.

Cam Newton is the easiest place to begin, as he set rookie records last season and was one of only eight passers with 1,000 or more stretch vertical passing yards. Like most young quarterbacks, he did struggle in the BDR category (4.2 percent, fifth highest in the league), but that number should decrease as Newton becomes more acclimated to the NFL.

Newton also benefits from having Steve Smith to throw to, as his 10.7 overall YPA ranked tied for 11th last season.

The passing attack could actually turn out to be even more dangerous this year if Brandon LaFell continues to progress. His 14.7 vertical YPA last season ranked tied for sixth among wideouts with at least 30 vertical targets. That type of ability is part of why LaFell has a strong grip on the starting job opposite of Smith and could be on the verge of a breakthrough.

In addition, Carolina boasts two running backs (DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart) who ranked in the top six of the league in the good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) category that measures a ball carrier's productivity when receiving good blocking. The Panthers also rated sixth in the league in good blocking rate and topped the NFL in offensive GBP.

They will need all of these elements to protect a defense with some coverage issues, but if that group gets better while the Panthers' offense keeps the pressure off of it, this team could start to hit its stride just in time for a late-season/postseason run.

Tennessee Titans

A historical comparison for the Titans could be the 1927 New York Yankees, as there might not be a team in the NFL with more offensive home run potential than Tennessee.

Chris Johnson would be the Babe Ruth of that analogy, as there are a multitude of reasons to think that he will return to something close to his CJ2K performance level.

Tennessee also has a potentially elite tight end in Jared Cook. Cook's 10.8 overall YPA last year was the best among tight ends, and his 534 vertical yards ranked fourth. All he needs to start competing for Pro Bowl berths is a jump in targets from the 74 he had last year to something in the 100-125 range.

Kenny Britt has a history of posting dominant vertical and stretch vertical numbers. Unfortunately, he also has a history of off-field issues that includes a DUI arrest this summer, but once he serves a one-game suspension for that incident, Britt should be back in the lineup for the foreseeable future.

In Britt's absence, Nate Washington could prove to be a more than capable replacement, as his 12.6 vertical YPA last year ranked 13th out of 43 wide receivers with at least 40 vertical targets.

New starting quarterback Jake Locker does have some weaknesses to his game, but with this much talent around him and a very favorable schedule (my draft guide has the Titans facing the second-easiest pass defense schedule in the NFL), his learning curve might be smaller than usual for someone in his spot. Having a backup quarterback of the caliber of Matt Hasselbeck also doesn't hurt.

If the Tennessee offense can hit enough proverbial home runs, it might be enough to vault a team that was 9-7 last year to double-digit wins and a shot at making a Super Bowl run.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   #73jetsfan Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Music Art, and Sports

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

View Postextmenace, on 03 September 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

http://insider.espn....idates-2012-nfl

Can someone with insider post this article?

Super Bowl? The way this team is put together, and all the issues they have?
Trust me when I say I want the Jets to win a SB like every fan on this site.
But to the guy who wrote this article I would say, Click your heels Dorothy!
" Using No Way as Way, Having No Limitation, as Limitation" - Bruce Lee

"You must show no mercy nor have any belief
whatsoever in how others judge you ,
For your greatness will silence them all !"
-Warrior

#4 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

View Post#73jetsfan, on 03 September 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

But to the guy who wrote this article I would say, Click your heels Dorothy!

Lol. I agree. I think this guy has been taking LSD or is mentally delusional and needs treated with medication.
As you said we all want a Superbowl bad but with all the holes on offense it would be almost a miracle. We have a defense the may be good enough but no way the offense is good enough.
This guy is in fantasy land.

Hell the majority of us think if we are 500 it will be a good year.Sucks but that's our reality unless this offense clicks and proves us all wrong.All that said ...again I say I think this team is rebuilding and I really believe that the offense will be much better next season if it doesn't click this year. The only question is .....is Sanchez our qb or not. We shall see. If he isn't hopefully Mcelroy is the answer.

#5 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

I really don't understand what "hole on offense" you guys are talking about? The OL is as good as anyone's now that we got rid of WFH. The OL will give Greene some running lanes and Sanchez some room to throw. If he has room to throw, Sanchez can sling it as good as anyone. Yes our WRs aren't household names, but this core is as good as he has ever had here... the montley crew from 09 and 10 weren't much better than this. With a few more seasons under his belt and Schotty's moronic 7 second WR patters a thing of the past, why wouldn't the offense be better?

Hell, the 9ers were 2 muffed punts away from the SB last season with Alex Smith. Alex "f*** Face" Smith. You telling me that we can't duplicate that success? Have you seen our schedule?

#6 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 03 September 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

I really don't understand what "hole on offense" you guys are talking about? The OL is as good as anyone's now that we got rid of WFH. The OL will give Greene some running lanes and Sanchez some room to throw. If he has room to throw, Sanchez can sling it as good as anyone. Yes our WRs aren't household names, but this core is as good as he has ever had here... the montley crew from 09 and 10 weren't much better than this. With a few more seasons under his belt and Schotty's moronic 7 second WR patters a thing of the past, why wouldn't the offense be better?

Hell, the 9ers were 2 muffed punts away from the SB last season with Alex Smith. Alex "f*** Face" Smith. You telling me that we can't duplicate that success? Have you seen our schedule?

I had some long reply with stats etc.... but whats the point. I did save it to notepad just in case you want it.
Basically I say "No." Unless Mark miraculously changes for the better this year.I lost most of my confidence with the hope I had the way he looked in the preseason. With these baby steps he takes you are looking at a decade before he gets good. And no according to his stats he cant sling with the best of them.
To sum it up like 70% of Marks stats are really bad with 20% being totally average and maybe 10% being good.Ignoring the bad stats doesn't make him any better. I'm sure you could find good stats about any NFL qb that failed if you wanted to no matter how bad they were. Searching for the needle in the haystack instead of looking at the hay.

Also I will put one stat.
Chad Pennington with a noodle arm averaged 7.2 yards per pass attempt.
Marks 3 year average is 6.4 yards per attempt with a career high in 2010 of 6.5 yards. That in itself is really bad.

I will give one more stat just because you mentioned the schedule this year.... The Jets only played 4 games last year against winning teams. two of them were against the Patriots.That leaves the other 12 games against .500 or below. Jets managed 8-8 and some of those wins were by the skin of their teeth.

So again "no" I dont see it.

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostROBJETS, on 04 September 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

I had some long reply with stats etc.... but whats the point. I did save it to notepad just in case you want it.
Basically I say "No." Unless Mark miraculously changes for the better this year.I lost most of my confidence with the hope I had the way he looked in the preseason. With these baby steps he takes you are looking at a decade before he gets good. And no according to his stats he cant sling with the best of them.
To sum it up like 70% of Marks stats are really bad with 20% being totally average and maybe 10% being good.Ignoring the bad stats doesn't make him any better. I'm sure you could find good stats about any NFL qb that failed if you wanted to no matter how bad they were. Searching for the needle in the haystack instead of looking at the hay.

Also I will put one stat.
Chad Pennington with a noodle arm averaged 7.2 yards per pass attempt.
Marks 3 year average is 6.4 yards per attempt with a career high in 2010 of 6.5 yards. That in itself is really bad.

I will give one more stat just because you mentioned the schedule this year.... The Jets only played 4 games last year against winning teams. two of them were against the Patriots.That leaves the other 12 games against .500 or below. Jets managed 8-8 and some of those wins were by the skin of their teeth.

So again "no" I dont see it.

Chad Pennington's YPA under Schotty was 6.91 and 6.79, he also had a much higher completion percentage which raises it.

Brett Favre YPA under Schotty was 6.65 with a 66 completion%.

So every QB under Schotty has had a 6 YPA.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   JSOTF Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 04 September 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Chad Pennington's YPA under Schotty was 6.91 and 6.79, he also had a much higher completion percentage which raises it.

Brett Favre YPA under Schotty was 6.65 with a 66 completion%.

So every QB under Schotty has had a 6 YPA.

#1. The way our Defense looked this preseason. With the rookies, and new safeties, I really believe this is going to be one of the best defensive teams this year.

#2. Shotty is gone...need I say more? LMAO.

Seriously, I think we will throw the ball downfield, which will keep teams from putting 9-10 players in the box to stop the run. Mark looked better with each pre-season game, and I do believe he will have a bounce back year. I just hope Shotty doesnt have long term effects on Sanchez. Like a friggen STD.

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostJSOTF, on 05 September 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

#1. The way our Defense looked this preseason. With the rookies, and new safeties, I really believe this is going to be one of the best defensive teams this year.

#2. Shotty is gone...need I say more? LMAO.

Seriously, I think we will throw the ball downfield, which will keep teams from putting 9-10 players in the box to stop the run. Mark looked better with each pre-season game, and I do believe he will have a bounce back year. I just hope Shotty doesnt have long term effects on Sanchez. Like a friggen STD.

our defense got stacked with the additions of bell, landry, and coples
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yea forget the superbowl.

In order for us to even have a chance. 2 things are going to have to happen. Sanchez steps up and plays lights out. Or we come up with some insane wildcat/spread option scheme that takes the NFL by storm. The defense will be so solid this year. The achillies heel will be the offense. As usual.

#11 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

As the article states, we're a dark horse. And that's fine with me. Under Rex we've always played better when expectations haven't been as high. There's going to be a chip on this team's shoulder. Our starting and backup QBs both have something to prove. Shonn Greene has to show he can handle a bigger load. Our inexperienced receiving corps have their doubters. On defence, the likes of Bart Scott, Laron Landry and Coples have question marks surrounding them, be they about health, bouncing back from last year or being capable of stepping up to the NFL-level. Our head coach has to demonstrate he can keep his team united and not let things run off the rails as they did at the end of last season.
Can we go all the way? If the chips fall in place, I think we can contend. We won't wow teams having to rely on a punishing defence to carry what will likely be an inconsistent offense. But teams have done that before. I don't see the team winning the division, but we've shown we can be dangerous if we snatch a wildcard berth. New England doesn't have a strangelhold over Rex's Jets. Sure Belichick has a winning record against us now, but we've beat them twice at home in quite convincing fashion and shocked them on the road in the playoffs. We'll need to better previous performances against the likes of Pittsburgh and Baltimore (should we make the playoffs and meet the latter), but they've both got to deal with a much improved Bengals team in the AFC North and are no longer locks for playoff spots. In the AFC South, it's the Texans division to lose and given the players they've lost, I'm confident we match them and steal a win. Although Peyton Manning's now playing out in the AFC West, I don't see any of the teams in that division going far come January.
No doubt things could do horribly wrong, but there are reasons to believe in this team, even though last year left a sour taste in the mouth and the preseason has been a bit of a mess. But the past is the past, and the preseason doesn't count. Let's go get them, starting with the Bills.

#12 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

LOL

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users