NYJetsFan.com Forums: Landry: Jets' D Better Than Steelers' - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

@DWAZ73 : One other thing: Idzik now has landed arguably No. 1 QB, RB and WR in free agency this offseason despite deliberate approach. #Jets
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:24 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan115 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:32 PM) still need another WR
Jetsfan115 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:33 PM) so i bet powell barely gets any touches this year and goodson gets cut
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:34 PM) Goodson is as good as gone.
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:34 PM) With all his legal issues and coming off injury he is done. Possibly even in the NFL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) Powell is average anyways.
Chaos Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) @ProFootballTalk 5m

Per source, Chris Johnson's two-year deal has a base value of $8 million, with another $1 million available in incentives based on yardage.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:40 PM) He does a lot of things well, but isn't talented enough. Johnson has breakaway ability still and Ivory is man beast running the football
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:41 PM) We will get another WR in the draft. Even in round 2 you can get a starting WR
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 04:09 PM) I am still standing by my CB in the first round and WR in the second prediction
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:19 PM) The title race is bale
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:34 PM) Sidney rice coming in for a visit
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:49 PM) I think the Jets are getting themselves ready to draft best player available
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:49 PM) Last year they stuck to their board
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) if they sign him I think that means they look to take a CB round 1
2JBallar01 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:32 PM) “@AdamSchefter: RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.”
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:51 PM) @AlbertBreer 2m
Sidney Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks on a one-year deal, per source.
Expand
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:55 PM) There is really only 2 CBs worth taking at 18
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:56 PM) I rather get a offensive playmaker
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM) LaMont Jordan was 34
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) liar
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) He wore #34 when he played for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) I should know I met him at an event in his last year with the JETS before he went to Oakland
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) GFYS 0099 you shit talker
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) http://www.nydailyne...entry-1.1758342
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) there's no reason we can't have someone off this site on that list too
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM) Rice resigned with Seattle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM) did you scare him into going to Oakland?
Chaos Icon : (16 April 2014 - 08:18 PM) unfortunately those sites are too much bigger than our
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 April 2014 - 10:51 PM) WOOOO
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM) I'm sure it's possible but this isn't a blog site as much as its a login and yell about the jets site
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 07:39 AM) yeah...TheGangGreen didn't participate either. they're represented as a forum too on Google
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:11 PM) offesnive tehhhh
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:46 PM) 05 on point today
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:36 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:31 PM) It's 0099's favorite day of the year
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:32 PM) it's National High-5 day :WTF:
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:32 PM) who the hell high 5's people anymore
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:32 PM) just dap and leave it there
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:43 PM) everyone high 5s
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:44 PM) bubba watson when he won the masters last weekend went through a gauntlet of high 5s
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:05 PM) GG03 is the high 5 master
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:07 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) People don't dap anymore either.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Landry: Jets' D Better Than Steelers'

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Landry: Jets' D better than Steelers'

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' defensive goal is to reclaim the No. 1 ranking, which they held in 2009. On Sunday, they intend to take down the reigning defensive champs, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Safety LaRon Landry, who already has made an impact on the field with his hard-hitting style, delivered a verbal blow Wednesday, claiming the Jets have better personnel than the Steelers. He expects their superiority to show up at Heinz Field, where the home folks are accustomed to seeing fantastic defense.

"We can be as great as we want to be," Landry said. "I'm not about to turn it into a controversy, but I think we can win over them. I think we have all the pieces that they have, even better. To answer your question, I think we'll pull it off.

"If you look at the starter at each position ... I like the matchup. I choose my guys over any of their guys, especially in our defensive scheme."

It's like old times, as the Jets' bluster is starting to return. Rex Ryan, who last month proclaimed himself "the best defensive coach in the league," already is on record as saying this could be the best defense he's had in four seasons. Several players have backed him up.

"There's just a swagger and confidence on this defense," defensive tackle Mike DeVito said. "We know we can be the best."

The Jets and Steelers are among the elite defensive teams in the league. From 2009-11, the Jets ranked first, third and fifth in total defense, respectively. The Steelers finished fifth, second and first, respectively. They have what the Jets want -- the top spot.

Landry went so far as to say, even though the No. 1 focus this week is Ben Roethlisberger & Co., he also wants to outplay the Steelers' defense.

"It's going to be a tough game, going up against their offense, but also statistically, winning each category, comparing defense to defense, I'm looking forward to that challenge, too," he said. "(I want) to win every category and outbeat their defense. Seriously."

The Jets' previously dormant offense stole the headlines in the 48-28 win over the Buffalo Bills, but the defense served as the catalyst. Early interceptions by Darrelle Revis and Kyle Wilson resulted in terrific field position, setting up the first two touchdowns.

They got sloppy late in the game, allowing two fourth-quarter touchdowns when the outcome was secure, but that didn't put a dent in their confidence.

"I feel like we have no weaknesses at any position on defense," linebacker David Harris said.

That old conviction is back, and a big reason is the new look at safety -- Landry and Yeremiah Bell, easily the most physical tandem they've had under Ryan. The Jets acquired them in free agency, signing them to one-year contracts, hoping to add more pop to a unit that had become somewhat stale.

Landry and Bell are "like predators back there," DeVito said. "They're flying all over the place. They're violent. That's intimidating for the other team. I'd hate to be on the other side of the ball, with those guys flying around.

Steelers wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who played with the Jets from 2004-10, said the biggest difference in the current defense and previous versions is Landry stalking the middle of the field.

"He's a physical presence," Cotchery said. "You have to find him, and it's been awhile (since I've seen that on the Jets)."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin agreed, saying Landry "brings an awesome demeanor to their defense ... I think personalities like his, from a football standpoint, bleed over to others. I think it's an inspiring thing."

The Steelers are synonymous with defense, dating to the iconic era of the Steel Curtain in the 1970s. The current unit underwent changes in the offense, but it still has three players with multiple Pro Bowl appearances -- safety Troy Polamalu, nose tackle Casey Hamton and linebacker James Harrison, who may return this week from a lingering knee injury.

By comparison, the Jets have only one Pro Bowl player -- cornerback Revis, whose status this week is uncertain because of a concussion.

The Steelers' defense is run by the legendary Dick LeBeau, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Jets don't have any Hall of Famers in the building, but Ryan made headlines in training camp by proclaiming himself the best of the best.

"I've stolen a lot of things from (LeBeau)," Ryan said. "He borrowed from us, but he doesn't admit it."

There's one thing he'd like to steal -- LeBeau's No. 1 ranking.

http://espn.go.com/n...sburgh-steelers

#2 User is offline   Camenzind Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostChaos, on 14 September 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

They allowed 28 points, nearly 200 yards on the ground, and almost 400 total yards. And he is talking... Another stem cell researcher. Just shut up and do your job.

#3 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

The Steelers running game looked pretty pathetic in Denver. If the Jets allow Redman to sniff anywhere close to 100 yards, we're in trouble.

#4 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostCamenzind, on 14 September 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

They allowed 28 points, nearly 200 yards on the ground, and almost 400 total yards. And he is talking... Another stem cell researcher. Just shut up and do your job.

Look in the mirror and take your own advice. Yards per game don't mean sh!t. The only numbers that matter are the ones on the scoreboard the last time I checked. We allowed 28 points. Pittsburgh allowed 31. Have a case of open mouth, insert foot disease or something?
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 15 September 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Look in the mirror and take your own advice. Yards per game don't mean sh!t. The only numbers that matter are the ones on the scoreboard the last time I checked. We allowed 28 points. Pittsburgh allowed 31. Have a case of open mouth, insert foot disease or something?

Wow! Can't we all just get along? :trink39: I do agree stats don't equal much other than numbers on paper. The first half the Jets D was on. The second they played more consevative to not give up big plays. Also some of the starters did not play the whole game.
Posted Image

#6 User is online   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

landry shut up

what happen to the media blackout?
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!

#7 User is offline   A1elbow Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

A girl doesn't want to talk to their boyfriend, they stop talking to them, they don't call them up to let him know he is getting the silent treatment.

Bart Scott is a girl who wants more attention from her boyfriend.
Posted Image

Exterminate all rational thought, that is the conclusion I have come to

#8 User is offline   S-Dubb Icon

• 2008 Best Insider Award
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Interests:Hardcore Jets & Knicks fan - Gym rat - health and nutrition - family man and proud father.

Twitter: @NYJETSFANCOM

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostCamenzind, on 14 September 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Cosign!

I was just going to say the same thing. Shut up and ball!!

#9 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

I agree with letting the play on the field do the talking for the team, but I didn't see anything wrong with what Landry had to say. He didn't give any bulletin board material or anything like that. He said he likes the match-up. Big deal. If the Defense wasn't confident, then we'd have a reason to be concerned. It should be a good game with Revis out & Harrison & Polamalu being questionable. If we come out with the win, people are going to be thinking very differently about this Jets team. Including me.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users