NYJetsFan.com Forums: Strategy In Draft May Leave Jets Short Of Depth - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Yesterday, 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (Today, 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Today, 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (Today, 07:49 PM) WOO
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Strategy In Draft May Leave Jets Short Of Depth

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Strategy in Draft May Leave Jets Short of Depth

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Behind the desk in Mike Tannenbaum’s office, a three-sided whiteboard hangs on the wall. It is loaded with magnets, one for each player on the Jets’ roster — a visual representation of the underperforming and the overachieving, the injured and the fit, and everybody in between.

In truth, that board is more than a depth chart. For Tannenbaum, it is a daily puzzle to solve and a stark reminder of the decisions he has made during his six and a half years as general manager.

Only two current Jets, Sione Po’uha and Brandon Moore, predate Tannenbaum’s tenure, which began in February 2006. Everyone else has arrived under his watch, a team created in his image, built to his, and Coach Rex Ryan’s, specifications. Not long ago, they reached two straight A.F.C. championship games. But now the Jets, after a disastrous finish to 2011, are reeling again, even at 2-2. They are struggling to score, pass, run, defend, tackle and keep their fans’ interest, which waned in the second half of a 34-0 home defeat last week to San Francisco.

Their flaws — a paucity of offensive playmakers, a meager pass rush and an erratic quarterback — are no less obvious in October than they were in August or June or April, long before season-ending injuries claimed Darrelle Revis and Santonio Holmes. At the Jets’ season-ending news conference in January, Tannenbaum vowed that he would field a better team. He was asked in an interview last week whether he had fulfilled that mission.

“Absolutely,” Tannenbaum said. “I still think we have a chance to accomplish everything we want to.”

That is, the Super Bowl. The expectations have not changed, even if by any realistic measure they should. On Monday night, the Jets will play undefeated Houston with Clyde Gates, Lex Hilliard, Konrad Reuland and Jason Hill in line to play significant roles on offense. None were with the team in training camp.

Roster-depleting injuries are inevitable, and the Jets — with Holmes, Revis, Dustin Keller and Stephen Hill — have endured a disproportionate share. But there are teams who seem better equipped to overcome them.

“I think there are some teams whose last eight or nine guys are pretty darn strong,” said Daniel Jeremiah, a former scout for three N.F.L. teams who now works for NFL Network. “I don’t think this is the case here.”

When last season ended, the Jets were like a house in disrepair. They needed to fix the boiler (right tackle), paint the walls (proven receiver) and refinish the floors (impact pass rusher). They wound up spackling holes, replacing the well-worn carpet (safety upgrades with LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell) and buying an HD television for a guest bedroom (Tim Tebow). However much the Jets adore Tebow and value his versatility, so far he has been little more than a decoy and a distraction.

“I’ll give him a grade of incomplete,” Tannenbaum said. “Let’s have that discussion in December.”

A discussion could have been held about Wayne Hunter’s poor performance last December, when the Eagles exposed him. The Jets misjudged his ability to replace Damien Woody, and it took eight months — seven, counting their failed trade for Jeff Otah — before the situation became so untenable that, after allowing two and a half sacks in a preseason game against the Giants, Hunter was shipped to St. Louis.

Realizing that he needed to infuse the offense with younger, faster players, Tannenbaum drafted Stephen Hill, longing for packages that would include Hill, Holmes, Keller, Jeremy Kerley and, at running back, Bilal Powell or Joe McKnight.

By failing to add an established No. 2 complement to Holmes, the Jets heaped responsibility on Hill, who was rarely thrown to in a triple-option offense. Hill had a strong debut, but before being sidelined by a hamstring injury, he dropped two passes in Miami, including a potential touchdown.

“The lack of explosive players at the skill positions on offense, that’s what jumps out at me,” Jeremiah said. “You’d like to have one dynamic weapon on the outside, which I don’t necessarily think they have. You’d also like to have a running back capable of hitting a home run, and they don’t have that.”

That back would be Shonn Greene, who has been disappointing this season. Tannenbaum moved up to take Greene in the third round in 2009, an aggressive strategy that helped him select Keller, Revis, Mark Sanchez and David Harris but one that contrasted sharply with the methodology that Tannenbaum lauded as a senior at the University of Massachusetts.

There, he wrote a paper — which earned an A, according to his professor, Lisa Pike Masteralexis — exploring how to construct a championship team. Analyzing the 49ers, Tannenbaum asserted that Bill Walsh’s preference for trading back to amass a high volume of selections built San Francisco’s core.

Tannenbaum favors quality over quantity, often using his picks to trade up — or to acquire players with troubled pasts: Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Holmes — while filling the back of his roster with practice-squad signings (Austin Howard) and waiver claims (Gates and Reuland). It can be a risky tactic. Of the 65 players on the Jets’ roster as of Friday, 26 were acquired through the draft, the ninth-lowest percentage in the N.F.L., according to the Elias Sports Bureau. “They have not, in my estimation, done a very good job of selecting players,” said the former Dallas executive Gil Brandt, who analyzes college players and the draft for NFL.com. Assessing their strategy, Brandt mentioned Bill Belichick of New England: “Why do you think Belichick trades and gets so many draft picks? Would you rather have two chances to win the lottery or one?”

Tannenbaum has presided over seven drafts. The first three, with Eric Mangini as coach, produced a prominent bust in Vernon Gholston but also cornerstones like Revis, Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson, and valuable pieces like Brad Smith, Eric Smith and Leon Washington.

In Ryan’s four drafts, the Jets have made 21 picks — tied with New Orleans for fewest in the N.F.L. Nineteen of the league’s 32 teams drafted a Pro Bowl player in that time, with three (Packers, Patriots, Steelers) taking multiple, but the Jets are not one of them. None of their players acquired for picks have been so honored, either.

Recent selections like Muhammad Wilkerson, Kerley and Powell have revealed promise, but it is unclear whether their most prominent pick, Sanchez, will ever perform at a level worthy of being chosen fifth over all. Vlad Ducasse has yet to validate his second-round grade, and although the first-round pick Quinton Coples has fared capably at defensive end, he has yet to register the impact of Chandler Jones of New England, selected five spots later, who was named the A.F.C.’s top defensive rookie in September.

Since Ryan’s arrival, the Jets have added several players with character issues, believing that he can reform them. It worked with Cromartie but not Holmes, whose petulance created a locker room rift. The Jets aspire to squeeze every drop of production out of a player before discarding him, though they have not always found suitable replacements for players considered replaceable: a dependable blocking tight end like Ben Hartsock; a reliable possession receiver like Jerricho Cotchery; a vertical threat like Edwards, though Hill is a raw approximation.

“The best organizations that show sustainable success are the ones that can make the hard decisions,” Tannenbaum said.

When Tannenbaum examines that whiteboard, he sees the results of those decisions. It is only going to get harder.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users