NYJetsFan.com Forums: Jets May Be Better Without Holmes - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets start voluntary offseason programs today
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:47 PM) dat Chelsea tight butt hole
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) 0-0
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) whatever that means
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:59 PM) Some talk that Dennard might slide to round 2 now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby and Fuller are rising.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby absolute physical freak but really inconsistent as a player
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) loved him going into school but never grew into the player i thought he would become
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) I don't want Roby, afraid we take him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) f***ing draft should be this week, not 2 weeks from now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) I rather go get a CB like Phillip Gaines in round 3.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) 1-Odell Beckham Jr WR, 2-Jace Amaro TE, 3-Phillip Gaines CB.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:04 PM) Where is Marcus Roberson being projected
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:05 PM) round 2 I think
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:06 PM) he'll be a solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:18 PM) solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:19 PM) boston. strong.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) you're a clown
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) just for the record
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) FIRE RAUL
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) agreed
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) EJ > Raul
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) lmao
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) I wouldn't go that far
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) true
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) but its closer by the day
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:13 PM) LET'S GO RANGERS!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Boo rangers
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) boo the Knicks
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Let's go wizards!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM) SANTANA DESERVES BETTER
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:56 PM) Just landed in Reagan jumping on the wizards bandwagon taxi right out the gate
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:47 PM) Tanaka looks good so far
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:45 PM) The title race is REAL
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) Teh Raptors!!!!!!!!!!
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Let's go Habs!
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:18 AM) Pineda looks good so far
santana Icon : (Today, 07:18 AM) Pineda solid pro
santana Icon : (Today, 07:19 AM) Pineda went Boston strong on Boston
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:57 AM) He has, except he is stupid for putting the shit on his neck. He has to hide that better.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) @Bischoff_Scott: Per a source, the #Lions are having discussions about moving #Suh before the draft to move up as high as possible in the first round.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) now that would be a fairly big move
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:46 AM) If they trade Suh to get Watkins, I would laugh. That doesn't really make their team better, they already have a high yardage passing attack
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:47 AM) They have the best WR in football and they signed Tate who will be a excellent #2 to Johnson
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:53 AM) too many smokes screens. f*** the extra 2 weeks of this shit, the draft should be tonight!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:04 PM) The media is so dumb, Jon Gieger Revis' best friend tweets a pic from the Jets website and says it's revis, and all of the media goes along with it making fun of the Jets when it was really Jeremy Kerleyr.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Jets May Be Better Without Holmes

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Five weeks ago, the New York Jets beat the Miami Dolphins with a little bit of luck and a lot of Santonio Holmes, who delivered one of the team's best receiving performances in recent memory.

"Sanchez-Holmes football," Holmes crowed after the game.
Since then, the Jets have changed their Tone.

Holmes is gone, recovering from season-ending foot surgery. Without their most accomplished receiver, the Jets were supposed to be toast, but they actually could be better?

Yes, better.

It sounds like a preposterous concept, but Mark Sanchez, no longer reliant on one receiver, is seeing the field better than before, according to teammates. He's finding the open receiver more often, they said, perhaps because he longer feels a sense of obligation to throw it to the resident diva, Holmes -- open or not. He's trusting others because well, he has no choice.

It's no coincidence his completion percentage has improved from 49 percent to 53 percent over the last three games.

New England Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty told NFL.com last week that Sanchez is "a little tougher now that Holmes is gone." The Jets' passing attack is healthier and more balanced without Holmes, who, frankly, is overrated. Oh, they miss his ability in the clutch -- see the Miami win -- but you get the feeling that Sanchez isn't crying over the loss of Holmes.

"I wouldn't say one's easier or harder," said Sanchez, comparing a Holmes-led receiving corps to a Holmes-less corps. "I feel confident either way, it doesn't matter to me. I love having Tone in there. I love playing with these guys. That doesn't matter."

Sunday will be a good test for Sanchez & Co. The Dolphins will be in town for a huge game -- pass the hot sauce, please -- and now we'll see if the Jets can pull off the sweep without their $9 million-a-year receiver.

They lose nine catches for 147 yards, Holmes' production that day in Miami -- his first 100-yard game in nearly two years. But they gain diversity.

Jeremy Kerley, coming off a career game, is establishing himself as one of the rising talents in the league. Rookie Stephen Hill, his killer drop notwithstanding, is improving every week. Tight end Dustin Keller, finally healthy after a month-long hamstring battle, is back to being Sanchez's go-to guy over the middle.
"Guys don't respect them enough, to be honest," Sanchez said. "I think it's an explosive group. The reason the ball is going around is because all of them have the ability to get open. I love Tone but when someone says, 'How do you feel playing without a No. 1?' -- that's not [fair] for the guys we have."

This no-name group is playing with a chip on its shoulder. It heard the criticism, starting in training camp, when one of their own teammates -- cornerback Antonio Cromartie -- tweaked the receiving corps. When Holmes went down, the noise intensified from the outside.

Let's be honest: It was kind of a suspect group until Hill and Keller returned.

"They thought we were the worst in the world," receiver Chaz Schilens said of the critics. "It's disrespectful. Whatever people say about us, I think we're proving people wrong, week in, week out."

The passing game has become less predictable. Before he lost his No. 1 receiver, Sanchez directed 33 percent of his pass attempts to Holmes. Since the injury, the pass distribution between the No. 1 and No. 2 receiver is almost even -- 22 percent to 24 percent. He's also checking down to his backs at a much higher rate than before.

Kerley has become a tough cover for opponents. Since the Holmes injury, he ranks fourth in the AFC in receiving yards (238). He and Sanchez have developed a rapport, especially on vertical routes.

Only 5-foot-9, Kerley isn't your protypical deep threat, but he and Sanchez have connected on 77 percent of the balls that traveled at least 15 yards in the air, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- second among quarterback-receiver tandems.

Keller said he always had a good feeling about Kerley. He recalled having conversations with Sanchez at the last two "Jets West" passing camps about Kerley's potential.
"Mark and I would sit there and we'd watch him run his routes and say, 'Kerley is really good,'" Keller said.

Kerley still is learning to play on the perimeter, dramatically different than the slot. Five of his seven receptions last week came out of the slot, his natural position. His two catches on the outside were against a Cover 2, which afforded him a free release and the chance to find soft spots in the zone.

"I want to prove to others I can be a total receiver," Kerley said.

The receiving corps still is far from polished. It has two middle-of-the-field threats in Keller and Kerley, but its lacks a consistent player on the perimeter. Maybe Hill can be that guy. Clyde Gates has impressed in practice and he could get a shot this week.

Chances are, Sanchez will need another 40-pass game to beat the Dolphins, whose stifling run defense will force the Jets to the air. Except for cornerback Sean Smith, Miami's secondary is nothing special. Their other starting corner, Richard Marshall, is expected to miss his third straight game. He's probably still experiencing whiplash, the result of trying to cover Holmes.

To his credit, Holmes was a franchise receiver that day, despite extra coverage.

"They tried to key everything on Santonio," Schilens said. "The way Dustin, Jeremy and Stephen are playing, they're going to have their hands full, even more so than before. It's good for us. It's good for our team to have as many weapons as we can."

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

49 percent to 53?! OH! OH OH!!!!!!!

#3 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Considering how many passes were DROPPED by receivers, not much of that % can be attributed to Sanchez now can it? Or would you prefer the 13 - 15% completion percentage that Tebow would have?
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Sanchez has missed his fair share of receivers with bad passes.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users