NYJetsFan.com Forums: Namath Rips Woody - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 07:49 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:16 AM) any news on Amaro? havent seen anything on twitter.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:56 PM) only 39 days 20 hours and 3 min to go till the JETS kick off the season on Sept 7th at 1pm against the Oakland Raiders
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:59 PM) Amaro practiced today in full pads
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:21 PM) 42 Days 39 min till Sons Of Anarchy FINAL SEASON starts
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:42 PM) Amaro has a lingering sore tendon
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:43 PM) I've read that hes been up and down so far
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) Dexter McDougle has been looking really good
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) Oday Aboushi might end up starting on the OL, hes been doing good at LG
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 PM) FIRE IDZIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:41 PM) VICK=$$$$$$
santana Icon : (Today, 09:24 AM) Everyone knows that Vick = $$
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) I do it all
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) North to south east to the west
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Namath Rips Woody

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Joe Namath rips Woody Johnson

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets legend Joe Namath, relatively quiet in recent weeks on his former team's disappointing season, unloaded Wednesday on the front office and owner Woody Johnson.

Namath accused the Jets of putting ticket sales ahead of winning. He also claimed management is lying to the fans, pointing to Tim Tebow's lack of involvement as the prime example.

"I think that the fans haven't been given a fair shake," Namath said on a SportsNet New York podcast. "I don't think they get a straight story, often enough, from the powers that be. I think it's kind of condescending talk a bunch of times, telling us how they're developing and who they're getting.

"I think he's been disrespectful. We can go right to the Tebow thing. I mean, come on. If you're bringing him in to play, where's he been? Are you bringing him in to make other people practice longer? Excuse me. Are you bringing him in, trying to get media headlines?"

Tebow, whom the Jets hyped in the preseason as a dynamic weapon, has played only 55 snaps on offense. The ballyhooed wildcat package has been a dud. Tebow hasn't complained about his role, but admitted Wednesday that "at times, it definitely hasn't been as effective as I would've liked."

Namath, a frequent critic of the Jets and Johnson, said the organization changed its approach about four years ago, when it started selling personal seat licenses for MetLife Stadium, which opened in 2010.

"I think the focus is changed, subtly," Namath said. "It's more toward grabbing headlines, and everything starts at the top. And you can go back to when the seat licenses were initiated, how we started conducting things. I don't think winning has been put at the top of the board. Winning headlines has replaced that."

Since reaching back-to-back AFC Championship games, the Jets are only 11-13, including 3-5 this season. General manager Mike Tannenbaum, who compiled the talent for playoff teams in 2006, '09 and '10, has come under fire. Namath said the Jets' talent base has eroded, an indirect shot at Tannenbaum.

"We seem to have regressed with talent, the last two years at least, the last three years," he said. "I don't know who's picking the player ... I'm disappointed in the talent we have, and I think you have to start looking at who's doing the picking and why."

Asked why the Jets can't find talent, and if there needs to be a change in the front office, Namath said: "If you use 'can't' in your vocabulary when it comes to football, you won't. I don't want to hear about can't find the talent. How do the other teams around the league, that are so consistent, continually find the talent?"

http://espn.go.com/n...t-sales-winning

#2 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Make him GM... Lol

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

He needs to shut up. he's not a jets fan. he's an attention whore. he always has been and now he's using the poor play by the jets as another way to get attention.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

The problem with Namath is that he wasn't that good to begin with. Dan Marino has every right to shit on the Dolphins, even Terry Bradshaw has enough trophies on the mantle to mouth off at the Steelers. Yea, Namath QBed our only SB... that was almost a half century ago and it wasn't a birth of a dynasty. Sanchez is a better QB than Namath was.

#5 User is offline   chocomag Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 12 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

The problem with Namath is that he wasn't that good to begin with. Dan Marino has every right to shit on the Dolphins, even Terry Bradshaw has enough trophies on the mantle to mouth off at the Steelers. Yea, Namath QBed our only SB... that was almost a half century ago and it wasn't a birth of a dynasty. Sanchez is a better QB than Namath was.

I'm going to guess you are too young to have seen Joe Namath play. But regardless, in all my years of being a Jets fan and that is considerable, your statement about Sanchez being better than Namath is the single dumbest I have heard to date. Joe Namath is one of the greatest QB's to play. Sure one could argue that he isn't as good as Marino, Elway, etc. I think he was but that argument is at least valid. But you compared him unfavorably to a QB that is not among the top 25 QB's playing today!!!!! Incredible. You and Ryan are probably the only t2o that think he is even remotely passable.

#6 User is offline   Canuck Jet Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I know Joe has an opinion on everything Jets, BUT, can someone please point out what is so wrong with what he said? Gotta go with Joe; this team is a farce.
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

-Matt Groening

#7 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

View Postchocomag, on 12 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I'm going to guess you are too young to have seen Joe Namath play. But regardless, in all my years of being a Jets fan and that is considerable, your statement about Sanchez being better than Namath is the single dumbest I have heard to date. Joe Namath is one of the greatest QB's to play. Sure one could argue that he isn't as good as Marino, Elway, etc. I think he was but that argument is at least valid. But you compared him unfavorably to a QB that is not among the top 25 QB's playing today!!!!! Incredible. You and Ryan are probably the only t2o that think he is even remotely passable.

SHJ is much smarter that that , he is just angry. Joe did much with leg braces on both knees . Mark Sanchez is not a good athlete and so he will take more time to mature and myabe he can be like Eli at best one day.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Can Joe Namath just STFU??? Its pathetic that hes seen as our icon, hes a overrated drunk who probably doesn't even want this team to win a SB because as soon as that happens he becomes even more irrelevant...
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Jets' legend Joe Namath gives rave review about rookie QB Mark Sanchez
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wednesday, September 09, 2009

When the Jets drafted Mark Sanchez to be their new franchise quarterback, their oldest franchise quarterback - Joe Namath - was a bit concerned.

Looking back, Namath said "the one thing that scared me" was Sanchez's lack of college experience - 16starts. He immediately recalled the ominous words of USC coach Pete Carroll, who bluntly stated Sanchez wasn't ready for the NFL.

Namath has a new opinion of Sanchez, who will start the opener Sunday in Houston: He loves the kid. The Hall of Famer was blown away by the rookie's flawless performance last week in the final preseason game. Sanchez was 5-for-5 for 67 yards and a touchdown in his only series. That it came against the Eagles' backups didn't matter to Namath.
Ads by Google

"You hear comments from Rex (Ryan) throughout training camp and you pay some credence to that, no doubt, but that first series last week showed me some stuff I hadn't seen in a while," Namath said Tuesday at a promotional appearance, addressing the media for the first time on Sanchez.

"I hadn't seen Sanchez enough, but what I saw that night in that first series, it looks like he can do everything in terms of movement and finding receivers," he continued. "He had to change where he had to go a couple of times. He used his feet well. He impressed me big-time in that series, so I'm excited about this (season) coming up."

Namath was joined by fellow Jet greats Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet and Marty Lyons at JFK Airport, where the team announced a corporate partnership with Jet Blue Airways. Much of the buzz focused on Sanchez, the first rookie quarterback in team history to start on opening day. Not even Namath managed that; it took him until the third game in 1965.

Broadway Joe doesn't foresee a smooth ride for Sanchez, saying he's "going to get his butt kicked a few times. ...I'm concerned with his (body) holding up." But Namath believes the Jets' No. 1 pick can succeed with a little luck and a lot of support from his running game and defense.

Namath, a legendary playboy in his day, doesn't expect Sanchez to be distracted by the trappings of celebrity.

"He won't be bouncing around," said Namath, noting that he played for an owner, Sonny Werblin, who was "a show-business man" obsessed with creating stars. "The ownership is different, the game is different, society is different."

Martin, who met Sanchez last week at a team function, said he was impressed with the rookie's charisma.

"When you're starting rookies, I've always been skeptical, but there is something I like about Sanchez," Martin said. "I got to meet him, shake his hand, look in his eye. He seems like an assertive, mature guy. I'm hoping he can be what they're expecting him to be."

Martin believes the Jets will be better with Sanchez; how much, he's not sure. "I think he can cause the team to take a step forward," he said. "I don't know how many steps forward, but I do believe, if I were a betting man, he'll help them take a step forward."

Chrebet said Sanchez "seems like a perfect fit" for the Jets and the city. "He throws a nice ball, it looks like he has a great presence in the huddle and he's definitely a smart kid," Chrebet said. "He says all the right things, he does all the right things. I think New York is going to love him."

Joe Namath enjoying NY Jets' ride, says current team reminds him of Super Bowl III champs
Published: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 10:00 PM Updated: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger

The most famous Jet of all is having as much fun these days as he had lying poolside in Miami the week of Super Bowl III.

‘‘I’m so damn excited about Rex Ryan and the way the team has responded to him,’’ Joe Namath told The Star-Ledger Wednesday. ‘‘It really is a wonderful feeling. It’s been a long time since the Jets and their fans have been on this stage. It’s a joy seeing so much happiness and enjoyment among Jets fans.

‘‘I just want to thank Rex and those players for making a lot of us so very happy to this point, and we’re not going to give up on them no matter what happens.’’

Namath, whose Jets shocked the world with a 16-7 victory over the seemingly indestructible Colts in their only Super Bowl appearance in franchise history 41 years ago, said the fact that the Colts once again stand in the Jets’ path isn’t wasted on him.

The franchise has moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, but they still have that horseshoe on their helmets and don those classic blue and white uniforms.

‘‘Hell yeah, it’s interesting,’’ said Namath. ‘‘It’s a whole lot of history with the Jets and Colts. (Former Jets coach) Weeb Ewbank was their coach before coming to the Jets and we beat the Colts. ‘‘Rex Ryan was down there in Baltimore with the new franchise. This is the first time the teams have met in a championship game since the Super Bowl win.’’ Namath said this Jets team reminds him of their Super Bowl team, a bunch of underdogs. And he said he loves Ryan’s bravado and attacking style. But he said ‘‘poise and execution’’ is needed to defeat Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, whom he called ‘‘the best I’ve ever seen.’’ ‘‘Hopefully, you can get your hands on him,’’ said Namath. ‘‘If our defensive line gets pressure, I don’t think the Colts offensive line has been tested like this. It’s organized chaos with that defense. ‘‘There’s no guarantee the Colts are going to play their best because the Jets defense isn’t going to let them.’’ Asked if Ryan’s boast about the Jets being the ‘‘favorites’’ to win the Super Bowl and Ryan’s infamous itinerary would supplant his famous guarantee should the Jets win it all, Namath chuckled. ‘‘The team has bought into it,’’ he said. ‘‘Whether he said it in jest or whether he was sincere, we all listen and enjoy. Some people want to see him fall flat, but the bottom line is winning and losing and right now he has those guys in the championship game.’’

You guys are funny. Where was the outrage over these comments Namath made? Why weren't you guys telling him to shut up and calling him an old drunk after these comments were published? Oh it's okay when he's displaying hope and optimism when we're winning. But when we're losing and he's being honest and saying the same things we're all saying, that's when he becomes a drunk again and needs to shut up. Basically you're saying you want him to blow sunshine up our asses when the team is losing so we can all feel better about the team. No all Joe is doing here is showing he has two working eyeballs just like most of us do. If we can call into a sports radio show and bitch about the Jets, so can Joe as an invited guest. If we can post our unhappiness after a loss on social media so can he. He has every right to say whatever he wants about this team on any forum he chooses just like we do.

It would be one thing if what he was saying wasn't true. Then you could criticize him. But you all know what he is saying is the truth, because we're all saying it too. I'd be more upset with him if he were trying to paint a rosey picture of the team right now.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#10 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I like that "he's only won one Super Bowl for us" attitude. That is a lot better than anyone else. What other ex-Jet is out there still talking about the team like they care? Joe Namath set the tone for the franchise. From being a "star" and in the public eye to everything else, he embodies the spirit of the franchise, for good or ill.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 12 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

I like that "he's only won one Super Bowl for us" attitude. That is a lot better than anyone else. What other ex-Jet is out there still talking about the team like they care? Joe Namath set the tone for the franchise. From being a "star" and in the public eye to everything else, he embodies the spirit of the franchise, for good or ill.

I guess I don't care because I wasn't alive for that SB so its meaningless to me.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 12 November 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

I guess I don't care because I wasn't alive for that SB so its meaningless to me.

As a fan of the team I appreciate their history, not just what they do for me personally. I wasn't alive for lots of things the Jets did.

#13 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 12 November 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

As a fan of the team I appreciate their history, not just what they do for me personally. I wasn't alive for lots of things the Jets did.

I didn't pick the Jets for their history and I don't really want to think about their history since its pretty pathetic. I only care about what I see and what they do in the present.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 12 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

oh, so that's what rock bottom looks like. wow!Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 12 November 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

It would be one thing if what he was saying wasn't true. Then you could criticize him. But you all know what he is saying is the truth, because we're all saying it too. I'd be more upset with him if he were trying to paint a rosey picture of the team right now.

Thats my problem with him. He's basically the 10,000th person to say the same thing (both positive quotes from 3 years ago and now). The thing that irks me is that it's supposed to carry more weight because Namath thinks he is (and is presented as by the media) the ultimate Jet legend. To me, and many others, Namath is more of a attention whore than anything else.

#16 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 12 November 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Namath is more of a attention whore than anything else.

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Namath was so good he didn't throw the ball once in the 4th quarter of super bowl 3

that's how good that schlub was.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#18 User is online   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Namath was right last year and he's right again this year. Now the locker is split. Everybody talking to the media about how awful Tebow is. There's only one thing to do after this season, blow it up and start over. Sanchez got nothing to work with. He needed a RB and WR help, he got Tebow on his back. Hill is a rookie who played on a team that ran the ball more than they throw. But as long as people are not talking about the Giants, we're good. Woody needs to stop sniffing the johnson & Johnson power and wake up. Give me the Oregon coach or Cowher next year. Really embarassing for the jets. Tanny and Rex should go next year.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users