NYJetsFan.com Forums: Mangini As Gm - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIELD GOAL
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 02:54 PM) brian shottenheimer must of lost his mind haha
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) fuckin orton
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) how does he keep doing it?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 04:53 PM) Jack Daniels
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 06:25 PM) murray horse
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:28 PM) GOD DAMN IT ANQUAN
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) what is this amateur hour!?!?!?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) come on!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:43 PM) Manning just broke the Passing TD record
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) :boredom: we could of had him a few years ago
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) but at least he didn't break it on us
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:45 PM) I don't think he wanted to be here
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I don't really care for passing records being broken. Qbs now have a lot of rules in their favor
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I mean even the catch that got them into the redzone was a PI call that wouldnt of been called when favre played
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:16 AM) is that a suggestion that Favre was a better QB than Peyton?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 AM) No it's a suggestion that passing records today are a bit skewed by the modern rules
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 AM) everyone knows Favre is the bestest ever that's not even an argument duhhhhh
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:18 PM) Cool jets throw blanket - http://www.woot.com/...ref=cnt_wp_2_22
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:21 PM) jets slippers yo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:37 PM) jets slippers the OG of cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:10 PM) so Harvin will be wearing #16
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) 10 and 6
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) WOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) 9 wins a row for the Jets!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:28 PM) streets is real
santana Icon : (Today, 12:36 PM) hey 05.. yo 05... 05!!!!
santana Icon : (Today, 12:36 PM) UEFA TIME
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:35 PM) Jets to sign Kerley to a 4 year extension
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) he's a good slot WR, i'm assuming we got him cheap, can't complain
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) we need to lock up wilk. but if harvin pans out, were set at WR for the next 4 years as decker, kerly, and harvin are all under contract.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:44 PM) Ivory is good too, we need a speed back (CJ sin't cuting it) and some o-line and mainly a QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:46 PM) Our offensive weapons aren't bad, need a qb and ol
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 02:09 PM) they were bad when decker was hurt and it was nelson and kerly starting and salas in the slot
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) That damn street thug Kerley
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:18 PM) Yeah because Nelson is terrible, Salas is no more than a #4 kind of wr
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:55 PM) Can we focus more on this street thug who is stealing $16 million from the team!?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 05:05 PM) salas shouldn't be on an NFL roster. #4 WR is a bit generous
santana Icon : (Today, 06:00 PM) extending kerley is a great move. i could see another team poaching him off the roster real fast.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:17 PM) Salas isn't that bad, hes made some plays for us this season.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:17 PM) You know who shouldn't be on a NFL roster, Salim Hakim. IDK why hes still on the Jets, he was TERRIBLE at KR and has no value as a WR. Waste of a roster spot IMO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:18 PM) Percy Harvin will be our KR now, I would imagine. Hes electric at it
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:48 PM) yeah hakim is another one i don't understand. he is even attempting to play WR and got benched at KR
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Mangini As Gm

#1 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

The topic was broached on another Jets board. I said "I heard this a few times and I have no idea why people say this. What did Mangini do on a personnel level that warrants this?".

In reply, someone linked this article..

I did a little bit of googling, and found this out:

I'm going disregard the "Nnamdi is much better than Revis and it's not even close" comment.

In 2006, Mangini was a first time coach fresh off one season as a D Coordinator. I highly doubt how much "pull" he had in the draft room that season. Considering that Rex had virtually none and came with a much more established resume, I'm guessing Mangini wasn't at the head of the table. In 2006, we took the "safe" picks. Magold was a no brainer. Brick was the first OT taken and the only one in the 1st round. In the 2nd and 3rd round, we missed completely with Clemens and Anthony Schlegal. Two terrible picks. The 4th round was a good one with Brad Smith and Leon.

In 2007, we drafted Revis and Harris. Anytime you get a Revis in the draft, that's a win.

In 2008 all that goodwill from Revis pick went down the toilet when we drafted Gholston. That was just awful. Even if Keller eventually learns how to block, that draft was a monumental fail.

Mangini's involvement in the draft is debatable. Whats not debatable is his involvement in the Jets 2009 draft where he gave us the 5th overall pick for 17th pick, the 52nd pick (used on David Veikunu, currently with the CFL), Abram Elam (on the Chiefs), Brett Ratliff (out of football) and Kenyon Coleman (Cowboys). He traded our #17 to the Bucs (who used it on Josh Freeman) for the 19th pick and a 6th rounder (used on Coye Francies currently on the Raiders). The 19th pick was then traded by Manging to the Eagles (who used it on Maclin) for the 21st overall (Alex Mack) and their 6th rounder (used on a RB who is out of football).

To recap, 4 years after Cleveland gave Mangini the reins to the 5th overall pick, he rewarded them with a C and not a single other player that's still on their roster. In the process, he passed on two franchise QBs (regardless of how you feel about Sanchez, he's better than any QB the Browns have had in the past 4 years) and Maclin. Mangini also managed to draft 2 other players in the 2nd round that year, WRs Massequai and Robiskie (waived, currently on DET).

#2 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

In year two he drafted Haden, Ward, Hardesy, McCoy, and Lauvao. That means over two drafts Mangini took two starting offensive linemen and a top tier CB and took five players still with the team. Sound familiar?

Anyway, what anyone does with the Browns doesn't matter. Horrible franchise players don't want to play for.

Also, the 2009 draft sucked. Looking through it there have been nine pro-bowlers from it. Compare that to fifteen from the 2010 draft and fourteen from the one in 2008 (or twenty-six from 2007's).

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#3 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

None of us know how much sway Mangini or Ryan do or do not have. What I do know, is that there has certainly been a philosophical shift in how this organization drafts between Mangini and Rex Ryan.

Under Mangini, the Jets went after smart, hard working, high character players. Players like Darelle Revis, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, David Harris, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, etc. These are the players that formed the backbone of the good Jets teams a few years ago. During Rex's tenure, the Jets have gone for "athletes" over football players...

Whoever was responsible for the drafts during Mangini's era...the Jets need to get back to that.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

The Mangini era delivered us Gholston, you can say that Tannenbaum's drafting was heading downhill with or without Mangini.I think the only difference is that Rex hasn't been afraid to take players with questionable characters.

I don't want Mangini back or Tannenbaum,if we start fresh I want Woody Johnson to pony up the money and get Bill Cowher, bring in any new GM hes comfortable working with.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users