NYJetsFan.com Forums: 2013 Head Coach Options: - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 August 2014 - 07:00 PM) The JETS are worth $1.8 billion
jet-man Icon : (20 August 2014 - 10:03 PM) that's less than the clippers
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 01:07 PM) I'm very excited with the amount of preseason touchdowns the Jets have
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 03:21 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 07:22 PM) Calvin Pryor and Darrin Walls will start tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) The SIMPSONS MARATHON has been on for almost 12 hours...
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 08:57 PM) Sanchez looks so much more confident and better in Chip's offense than he did with us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2014 - 09:50 PM) EVERY SIMPSONS EVER!!!!!
2JBallar01 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 07:10 AM) Sanchez is looking good for the eagles. Crazy how a good offense and the right system can make you look so much better. When you're put into a situatuon to succeed, magic happens. Happy for Sanchez, i think he needed a change just as much as the Jets did.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 08:02 AM) Preseason doesn't matter at all
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 11:10 AM) anyone have a stream for the preseaosn agme by chance?
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Don't read to much into Mark in the preseason. He usually looked good in the preseason even in a Jets uniform.. Big difference from regular season where the 1st string defense is playing 100%.
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:09 PM) A lot of 1st stringers are just getting reps in and trying not to get injured. Its only the backups trying to keep or get a job playing hard every down. If preseason qb play meant anything then Matt Simms would be the starting qb of the Jets.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 August 2014 - 12:00 AM) In Geno we trust
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 August 2014 - 07:23 AM) preseason or not, our offense hasn't looked competent in a while like it does this year. our rushing attack should be very good. Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory could be a dynamic duo
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 10:14 AM) http://youtu.be/2X0H709cJkA
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 01:28 PM) 2-0 lead most dangerous kind of lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 02:46 PM) Sam Bradford tears ACL and out for the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Dimitri Patterson is MISSING
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 04:50 PM) BREAKING NEWS: NO FAT CHICKS!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Rams want Sanchez
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Shotty and Sanchez again
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM) Champ Bailey to be released by Denver. Considering how busted up we are and Patterson now being suspended, do we take a look?
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:05 PM) Cro rumored to be gettin released from Arizona. We should definitely bring him in since he already knows the system and he's bett erhtan our 3rd/4th stringers which is where we're at at this point.
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) *better than
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM) Cro may get released?!
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 02:07 PM) /announcement
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 04:54 PM) patterson suspended indefinatly by idzik. were fucked at CB right now
azjetfan Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Do the Rams have a CB worth trading for?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) Saunders had a seizure, that is why he got into a car crash. He returned to practice, weird/
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:00 AM) ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Jets tried trading WR Stepehen Hill this summer. No takers. Let's see if final cuts today and Saturday change that equation.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:15 AM) i hate izdik
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:32 PM) Our starting CB Walls working in rehab area
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:52 PM) any CBs that are decent on the trade block or facing salary cuts?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:00 PM) I wouldnt cut Hill watch him go to NE and turn into Randy Moss
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) I'm just glad there aren't anymore greedy bastards on the team to deal with
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) Or street thugs
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) f*** a CB problem
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:49 PM) need 1 more in the fantasy league
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:33 PM) Dimitri suspended for the rest of preseason. I'm sorry, I know we are bone dry at corner these days but they should have cut this prick on the spot . He's going to get torched regardless this year and I'd rather cut ties with any potential cancerous attitutudes before the season even starts.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 PM) Where I come from you take responsibility for your actions. Not showing up for a game is cowardly and selfish. f*** him
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:36 PM) Also he doesn't know what the acronym AWOL means so he's also an idiot. No wonder he's never been anything but a journeyman corner is this league.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 09:11 PM) So how do you really feel?
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:18 PM) I think my last three posts pretty much summarize how I feel haha. He's making 1.5 mill this year and no call no shows because his feeling are hurt. Would rather you play corner azjetfan than this guy
Resize Shouts Area

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

2013 Head Coach Options:

#1 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,488
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm a Rex Ryan fan. I think that 15 years ago, he'd be a Top 5 HC. His style and his defensive expertise are top notch. Unfortunately, he's coaching in the wrong era. The three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense that he wants to run are a relic in the NFL. If you look at the teams who won playoff games last season, you'll see every single one being coached by a guy who cut his teeth on the offensive side of the ball (with the exception of John Fox). Is this a coincidence? I doubt it. We are in the era of the QB and the spread offense. Not only is Ryan a poor fit in that sense, it's also painfully clear that he's lost this team (again). Given Woody's traditional short leash on coaches, I'd be shocked if Rex is here in 2013. He'll be fired the Monday after the last game just like Mangini was.

This leads us to our coaching search:

1. Everyone's favorite non-working HC, Bill Cowher. He's going to be the first one people are going to want. I say no thanks. First of all, I strongly believe that there's a definite relationship between the HC and the offense. Cowher is a defense guy. Cowher had a long run with Pittsburgh and even won a SB, but he has been around the block. Before you all scream at me for saying that, keep in mind that the game has evolved a ton in the last 5 seasons. Cowher was the HC of the year... in 1992! He's 55 years old and I doubt he'd be one to embrace the way the game is played today.

2. Jon Gruden... everyone's OTHER favorite non-working HC. He's an offense guy and he's still fairly young, but lost in the luster of that SB win is that Gruden won with Tony Dungy's crew. Yes he did have a great team in Oakland, but they were pretty mediocre until Ganon came along. His overall record as HC is a mediocre 95-81. His playoff record is 5-4. Again, this guy took over a powerhouse from Dungy and watched them age. All that glitters isn't gold and there's a reason why he's been in the booth for 3 years.

3. The Kellys & Nicky Saban. There are a few college coaches that are always going to be in the mix for an NFL job, based on their success in the NCAA. Saban had his shot with the Fish and crapped out, ran to Alabama and I doubt he'll leave that job unless his ego gets too big for the SEC. Doubt he leaves this season.

4. Josh McDaniel. Now I don't think anyone is suggesting him, but I'm listing him here just in case Woody is actually serious about keeping Tebow and using him as a QB. McDaniels crapped out in Denver as most NE assistants do when they leave BB, however out of all of them he seems like the one to have learned from his time in Denver. Instead of reinventing the wheel, he'll keep his goals more realistic. I wouldn't jump for joy if the Jets hired him, but a young guy who already experienced the success and subsequent failure of running an NFL team is a step in the right direction.

5. This is the guy I want and is probably the darkest dark horse candidate. Sean Payton. Him of the NO Saints. Technically he's a FA coach and any one can make a run at him. Everyone assumes he's walking back to the Saints job... but what if Tom Benson decides that the Saints are just as good under Joe Vitt and decides that Payton is not worth the money? I think Woody should throw the kitchen sink at him. Get him to NY. He has a winning pedigree. He turned around the Saints who were a laughingstock for over a decade. He comes from the Giants who are Woody's team du-jor of the moment. Go get him Wood. He'll get us some back covers for the right reasons.
0

#2 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Location:New York

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

None of this matters until the Jets get an elite QB...and this years QB class is awful.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,988
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Sean Payton won't come here. The #1 guy I want is Bill Cowher, he demands respect. I don't believe in there is only one way to win a SB, we got damn close to a SB without a elite QB. The problem is that we suck at running the ball and aren't good on defense either. You don't think Cowher would adjust to a elite QB? He did adjust with Big Ben during that one playoff run and won a SB. The problem is, you have to have a elite QB to be successful throwing it all of the time. The great coaches know how to win without a great QB. I think Cowher would have won another SB or 2 if he kept on coaching, he finally had a great QB. When you have a inconsistent QB running the ball is the best way to cut down on their mistakes that kill you.

I rather not hire another rookie HC, that is all Woody Johnson has ever done.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,488
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 November 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Sean Payton won't come here.


Why not? Technically, he does not have a job. He is looking for a new contract. NO started 0-4 and now looks unstoppable. Payton is going to want to be paid like a Top 3 coach, because he is. Tom Benson is going to look at his team, what they did with Joe Vitt, and he's going to want to offer less. What's keeping Payton in NO? What do they have that we don't? Remember, HC in the NFL are ego maniacs. You don't climb that ladder without being an absolute control freak and a megalomaniac to boot. If he feels like the Saints are acting like they don't need him, he's going to look at other options. He has a history with NY. Woody is always looking for the "next hot coach"... why not take a guy who got a lot to prove to the commissioner, the Saints (if he feels like they shafted him on the contract) and the NFL in general? What's the downside?


View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 November 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

The #1 guy I want is Bill Cowher, he demands respect. I don't believe in there is only one way to win a SB, we got damn close to a SB without a elite QB. The problem is that we suck at running the ball and aren't good on defense either. You don't think Cowher would adjust to a elite QB? He did adjust with Big Ben during that one playoff run and won a SB. The problem is, you have to have a elite QB to be successful throwing it all of the time. The great coaches know how to win without a great QB. I think Cowher would have won another SB or 2 if he kept on coaching, he finally had a great QB. When you have a inconsistent QB running the ball is the best way to cut down on their mistakes that kill you.

I rather not hire another rookie HC, that is all Woody Johnson has ever done.


Cowher won with a Rookie Big Ben. The biggest play Ben had that season, was tackling the Seahawks DB on a turnover. That team was all defense and Bettis. Remember, this was in the era that the Bears went to the SB with Rex Grossman. That's not today's NFL. You're not beating Brady and Peyton with that shit. The Steelers were perennial playoff losers except that one year. Could he have won more SBs? Possibly. There were also 3 years in a row when the Steelers didn't even go to the playoffs.
0

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,988
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 23 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Why not? Technically, he does not have a job. He is looking for a new contract. NO started 0-4 and now looks unstoppable. Payton is going to want to be paid like a Top 3 coach, because he is. Tom Benson is going to look at his team, what they did with Joe Vitt, and he's going to want to offer less. What's keeping Payton in NO? What do they have that we don't? Remember, HC in the NFL are ego maniacs. You don't climb that ladder without being an absolute control freak and a megalomaniac to boot. If he feels like the Saints are acting like they don't need him, he's going to look at other options. He has a history with NY. Woody is always looking for the "next hot coach"... why not take a guy who got a lot to prove to the commissioner, the Saints (if he feels like they shafted him on the contract) and the NFL in general? What's the downside?




Cowher won with a Rookie Big Ben. The biggest play Ben had that season, was tackling the Seahawks DB on a turnover. That team was all defense and Bettis. Remember, this was in the era that the Bears went to the SB with Rex Grossman. That's not today's NFL. You're not beating Brady and Peyton with that shit. The Steelers were perennial playoff losers except that one year. Could he have won more SBs? Possibly. There were also 3 years in a row when the Steelers didn't even go to the playoffs.



We almost got to the SB with Mark Sanchez at QB and played a tougher playoff schedule than those Bears. The Steelers beat us with running the ball and defense, Ben played awful vs us. The Steelers opened up more on their championship run, Ben played good besides the SB. And whats funny is that we did beat Brady and Peyton with that shit in 2010...

Cowher has a real good playoff record, its just really hard to win a SB and he never had a franchise QB until ben, which makes it more impressive.


And I just don't see Payton leaving the Saints for the Jets, I would love for him to be our HC but if he leaves NO it will be for Dallas. Hes not leaving Brees for Sanchez.
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,488
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

We almost got to the SB with Mark Sanchez at QB and played a tougher playoff schedule than those Bears. The Steelers beat us with running the ball and defense, Ben played awful vs us. The Steelers opened up more on their championship run, Ben played good besides the SB. And whats funny is that we did beat Brady and Peyton with that shit in 2010...


The Steelers beat us because we beat the Pats the week before and to our franchise, that was the Super Bowl. Our defense couldn't stop a thing. 2010 was a magical year. I don't think we've beaten a Pro Bowl QB since.


View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Cowher has a real good playoff record, its just really hard to win a SB and he never had a franchise QB until ben, which makes it more impressive.


He's 12-9. 12 playoff wins in 14 seasons is pretty average.

View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

And I just don't see Payton leaving the Saints for the Jets, I would love for him to be our HC but if he leaves NO it will be for Dallas. Hes not leaving Brees for Sanchez.


If Woody goes after him with all his resources, we can get him.
0

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,988
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 24 November 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

The Steelers beat us because we beat the Pats the week before and to our franchise, that was the Super Bowl. Our defense couldn't stop a thing. 2010 was a magical year. I don't think we've beaten a Pro Bowl QB since.




He's 12-9. 12 playoff wins in 14 seasons is pretty average.



If Woody goes after him with all his resources, we can get him.



That is because our talent has drained, we no longer run the ball well and play good defense. That style is effective with winning when you have a inconsistent QB, of course if you have a elite QB you throw more, build around what you have.

Find me a better coach than that outside of Belichick who had Tom Brady for all of his playoff wins. If Cowher stayed with the Steelers, he would have won another SB at least IMO.
Posted Image
0

#8 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 6,991
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Sean Payton is a good shout. He supposedly loves being in the spotlight, and obviously no better than New York. I'd throw a f*** ton of money at him. Offensive minds in this league are where it's at.

But you've got the wrong Gruden on the list. Jay Gruden should get a serious look. What he's done with the Cinci offense and Andy Dalton is great. I'd really consider him, seems like a perfect fit.
0

#9 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,488
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 24 November 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Sean Payton is a good shout. He supposedly loves being in the spotlight, and obviously no better than New York. I'd throw a f*** ton of money at him. Offensive minds in this league are where it's at.


If me and you can agree on something, then it must happen. How do we raise awareness for this?

View PostJetsman05, on 24 November 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

But you've got the wrong Gruden on the list. Jay Gruden should get a serious look. What he's done with the Cinci offense and Andy Dalton is great. I'd really consider him, seems like a perfect fit.


We're now 0-3 with "the hot assistant who should get a HC gig". I think that Gruden deserves a shot, but I doubt Woody goes to that well one more time. I only listed McDaniels there because of the Tebow tangent.
0

#10 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,004
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 23 November 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

4. Josh McDaniel. Now I don't think anyone is suggesting him, but I'm listing him here just in case Woody is actually serious about keeping Tebow and using him as a QB. McDaniels crapped out in Denver as most NE assistants do when they leave BB, however out of all of them he seems like the one to have learned from his time in Denver. Instead of reinventing the wheel, he'll keep his goals more realistic. I wouldn't jump for joy if the Jets hired him, but a young guy who already experienced the success and subsequent failure of running an NFL team is a step in the right direction.


If the Jets are to fire Rex and replace him with McDaniel, or anyone because of the Tebow potential, I'm not even paying attention to that regime. Jets need to stop trying to discover the new thing just stick with what works. They wanted to have a 2 QB system this year, we've all had front row seats to that show. Broncos got rid of Tebow the second Manning was on board. It's just not going to work with Tebow. Get rid of him (it's feasible to do so this offseason) and let the guy do his thing on another team. Send Sanchez to the bench or deal with him for one more season and get a veteran backup who isn't in line to move into the NFL nursing home. Surround him with talent and go with the Alex Smith route. Sanchez can never carry the team but he can at least manage the QB spot until the Jets get their version of Kaepernick and replace him. That's the only way to fix this ship.
0

#11 User is online   reg83ny Icon

  • TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 4,552
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beantown...I missed NY

  • MLB:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Who says it has to be a NFL coach. I'm looking at 2 college coaches. O'Brien at Penn state who did a brilliant job after the scandal. A Guy who stands up to Brady when he coach the pats offense last year. The next one is Kelly with Oregon. Offensive minded coach al who can revive this stale offense. Word on the street that gruden is coning back to coaching. I would take him also. This whole team needs to blown up and start over.
0

#12 User is offline   GreenRebel Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,258
  • Joined: 16-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 24 November 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

But you've got the wrong Gruden on the list. Jay Gruden should get a serious look. What he's done with the Cinci offense and Andy Dalton is great. I'd really consider him, seems like a perfect fit.


If we go for a rookie HC then this is the guy I want. I've been saying it all season but from things I've read he doesn't want to leave Cincy yet. Definitely bring him in for a interview.
Posted Image
0

#13 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,988
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

yeah I like the thought of Jay Gruden if we go down the route of a rookie HC again.
Posted Image
0

#14 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,893
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Here are my thoughts.

Rex is the coach in 2013, but for the sake of conversation....

It is very unlikely Sean Peyton is leaving. He will be under contract before he is availible. In the 1-1000 he does become availible I am all in.

Cohwer is no better than Rex. Why trade apples for apples? Defensive minded hard nosed guy. Very little if any offensive ability. Not to mention he was easily replaced with Tomlin who I feel is a better coach. Has not coached in years. The grass in not always greener. He just worked with an organization that was a quality unit. They knew what to do to win.

The guys who could be a reality IF Rex leaves are

Jon Gruden,
I heard on the radio about rumors he is going to Arkansas to head the college team. Also I am not 100% sold on him. Again he has not coached in years and if he was all that he would have been a HC by now.

Bruce Arians,
This is the guy who groomed Peyton Manning, Rapistburger and now Andrew Luck. He is the interim HC of the Colts who are performing beter than us with less overall talent. He is doing a great job and will be in every discussion this offseason with teams that need a HC.

As the NFL moves more and more towards a offensive league people like Rex and Cohwer will have less value as a HC.
Posted Image
0

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,988
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 25 November 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Here are my thoughts.

Rex is the coach in 2013, but for the sake of conversation....

It is very unlikely Sean Peyton is leaving. He will be under contract before he is availible. In the 1-1000 he does become availible I am all in.

Cohwer is no better than Rex. Why trade apples for apples? Defensive minded hard nosed guy. Very little if any offensive ability. Not to mention he was easily replaced with Tomlin who I feel is a better coach. Has not coached in years. The grass in not always greener. He just worked with an organization that was a quality unit. They knew what to do to win.

The guys who could be a reality IF Rex leaves are

Jon Gruden,
I heard on the radio about rumors he is going to Arkansas to head the college team. Also I am not 100% sold on him. Again he has not coached in years and if he was all that he would have been a HC by now.

Bruce Arians,
This is the guy who groomed Peyton Manning, Rapistburger and now Andrew Luck. He is the interim HC of the Colts who are performing beter than us with less overall talent. He is doing a great job and will be in every discussion this offseason with teams that need a HC.

As the NFL moves more and more towards a offensive league people like Rex and Cohwer will have less value as a HC.


Cowher and Rex are not the same coach, just because they are both defensive minded coaches. Cowher has years of experience as a HC and is good with managing a team, I doubt he would put the "offense vs defense" mentality. He was evolving his offense with Ben, but he left after Ben's 3rd season. Mike Tomlin got to benefit the rewards of having Ben Roethlisberger at QB and a great defense, Cowher would have won another SB if he stayed.


And just because a guy hasn't coached in years doesn't mean they aren't a good coach, it just means they have a cushy TV job and are waiting for the right job.

I remember Steeler fans hating Bruce Arians, and the Colts aren't performing better than us with less talent. They have more talent than us and we blew them out head to head.

Just because a coach has a defensvie background doesn't mean they have no value in today's NFL, those teams that are all offense and no defense don't win shit. Its a team game.
Posted Image
0

#16 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,893
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 25 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Cowher and Rex are not the same coach, just because they are both defensive minded coaches. Cowher has years of experience as a HC and is good with managing a team, I doubt he would put the "offense vs defense" mentality. He was evolving his offense with Ben, but he left after Ben's 3rd season. Mike Tomlin got to benefit the rewards of having Ben Roethlisberger at QB and a great defense, Cowher would have won another SB if he stayed.

And the Steelers would have won another with Rex instead of Tomlin if they hired him. Point is Pitt wins because of much more than a HC. It is a complete team from the front office to the coaching staff. Cohwer is an above average coach (but not great) that was in a great situation.


Quote

And just because a guy hasn't coached in years doesn't mean they aren't a good coach, fice it just means they have a cushy TV job and are waiting for the right job.

So you are saying they would not coach for the Jets since we are a debacle? Either way they are out.


Quote

I remember Steeler fans hating Bruce Arians, and the Colts aren't performing better than us with less talent. They have more talent than us and we blew them out head to head.

Before the season started the Colts were projected as a 2-4 win team and dubbed as a rebuilding team. Meanwhile they have 7 wins and may make the playoffs. Listening to fans is pretty silly. Do you see half the stuff said on here? And if head to head means everything I guess something changed I dont know about.

Quote

Just because a coach has a defensvie background doesn't mean they have no value in today's NFL, those teams that are all offense and no defense don't win shit. Its a team game

The Packers D has been so great the past 2 years..... I am not saying they have no place. I am saying as a HC the rules of this flag football league makes them less impactfull and teams are better off with coaches that have a firm understanding of scoring.
Posted Image
0

#17 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,988
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 25 November 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

And the Steelers would have won another with Rex instead of Tomlin if they hired him. Point is Pitt wins because of much more than a HC. It is a complete team from the front office to the coaching staff. Cohwer is an above average coach (but not great) that was in a great situation.



So you are saying they would not coach for the Jets since we are a debacle? Either way they are out.



Before the season started the Colts were projected as a 2-4 win team and dubbed as a rebuilding team. Meanwhile they have 7 wins and may make the playoffs. Listening to fans is pretty silly. Do you see half the stuff said on here? And if head to head means everything I guess something changed I dont know about.


The Packers D has been so great the past 2 years..... I am not saying they have no place. I am saying as a HC the rules of this flag football league makes them less impactfull and teams are better off with coaches that have a firm understanding of scoring.



The Packers defense sucked last season, they go 1 and done in the playoffs. The Packers defense was ranked 2nd in the NFL, they won the SB.

And the Colts have a more talented team than us and played a weaker schedule. They had a impressive game vs the Packers, but besides that they have won vs bad teams. Andrew Luck is arguably the best QB prospect in a long time.
Posted Image
0

#18 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,234
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Look it doesn't matter if we got Cowher or Gruden or the ghost of Bill Walsh to be our head coach. None of them are going to suit up and step on the field to play the games. Our problem is not simply a coaching problem we can't coach our way out of this mess. A head coach is like a chef, you could have Emeril Lagasse in your kitchen but if you give him stale and spoiled food to cook with your dinner is going to still taste like shit. We need better players and not just at the QB position. Some of you guys talk about having to have an "elite QB" as if that will be the cure to all our problems. The Dolphins had an "elite QB" for 17 years and what do they have to show for it today? We need to upgrade at a number of positions and it all begins and ends at the line of scrimmage. We first must get more depth on the OL and we STILL NEED A f***ing PASS RUSHER!!! We still can't get consistent pressure on the opposing QB. And Shonn Greene should be the last person talking about somebody needing to be benched. What has he done to show he deserves to be a starter. He like Sanchez has not lived up to expectations either. He and many other players on this team deserve just as much heat on them as Sanchez is getting (and rightly so). Playing musical chairs with our WRs for the better part of the last 4 years hasn't helped matters either. No single coach or player is going to change the fortunes of this team. We need somebody who will buy better groceries for the chef. In other words we need somebody who will bring in better players for the coach. Tannanbaum has had some hits (Revis, Mangold) and some misses (Gholston, Greene) and some players who getting closer to being in the misses category (Sanchez, Wilson). We can't fire Woody Johnson so we just have to at this point hope he has enough wisdom to bring in a PROVEN GM who's had success before with another organization and then evaluate what to do at head coach after that. But I definitely don't want to give the keys to just one person. Meaning I don't want a GM/HC or owner/GM (like Jerry Jones). But we need better players above all else no matter who the head coach is.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions


Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#19 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 290
  • Joined: 24-January 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

New GM = Bill Polian.


"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach
0

#20 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,004
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postsexyrexy, on 25 November 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

New GM = Bill Polian.


No. No. I do not want Schottenheimer round 2 here. Bill Polian will only result in Chris Polian after a season and that's a big no. I want to hire someone to run the team, not to set his son up for a job.
0

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users