NYJetsFan.com Forums: 2013 Head Coach Options: - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

azjetfan Icon : (21 April 2015 - 09:52 AM) He is a good QB and I would love to have him. However IMO our 6 is not good value for us. Not to mention if he hates the idea of LA what is he going to think of NY? Contract situation would have to be worked out prior to trade as well. Extreme long shot to land Rivers. My money says we are more likely to land Brees.
azjetfan Icon : (21 April 2015 - 09:53 AM) which is still a very long shot
Chaos Icon : (21 April 2015 - 10:46 AM) he may just hate ownership. LT's comments yesterday was interesting.
Chaos Icon : (21 April 2015 - 10:47 AM) “I personally don’t think so,” Tomlinson said. “I really think this is a situation where Philip Rivers wants to move on. The reason why I think that and the reason why I feel like that is the Chargers have already approached Philip about doing another contract and he declined it. He doesn’t want anything to do with it; he didn’t even want to talk about another contract with the San Diego Chargers. That tells me that he’s thinking about moving on.”

“You never want to trade your franchise quarterback,” Tomlinson said, “that’s never the case. However, in this situation they might have no choice but to do so because I don’t know if Philip [Rivers] wants to be there anymore. I think he’s lost confidence in the organization. He’s seeing a lot of changes going on and the L.A. thing is valid; him not wanting to go to L.A., that is very valid, I can see that. So no, it doesn’t make sense to move on from Philip because he’s a franchise quarterback and he still has three to four very good years left.”
Chaos Icon : (21 April 2015 - 10:47 AM) missed the LA line. nvm. guess that is a legit concern.
Mr_Jet Icon : (21 April 2015 - 03:57 PM) He doesn't want to play for a franchise based in Los Angeles, but he'd be okay with playing for one based in New York City?
azjetfan Icon : (21 April 2015 - 04:28 PM) That's the point we have all been making.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 April 2015 - 07:05 PM) Jets vs colts Monday night week2
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 April 2015 - 07:09 PM) Jets open at home against the browns
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 April 2015 - 07:52 PM) Week 5 Bye after the London Game against the Dolphags
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 09:17 AM) Rivers is likely going to Tennessee. Would LOVE to have him here but we likely won't make the trade. I'd easily give this year and next year
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 09:17 AM) 's first rounder for him
azjetfan Icon : (22 April 2015 - 11:03 AM) IMO that's a steep price. I would swap this years first and a conditional 1st next year. Assuming we make the AFC Championship. That would be a 28-32nd pick. Otherwise a second.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 01:07 PM) Yes 2 1st is a lot
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 01:10 PM) draft is next week, pumped
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 03:02 PM) What are thoughts on getting a RB in round 1? McShay's newest mock has us taking Gurley at 6. I don't think we should take him that high, but if we trade down and he's available I'd love to snag him, ACL and all. He's got an unreal skill set that, once healthy, will translate readily to the NFL. We're not getting a QB this year without paying a king's ransom, and unless we pay a ransom for a top guy I say ignore QB. I don't want us to take a Hundley or Petty type in the 2nd or 3rd round when we need other pieces (edge rush, OL)
azjetfan Icon : (22 April 2015 - 03:09 PM) We can probably get Gordon in the second. I would pass at 6. If QB is not available a pass rusher will be. Our biggest needs are QB Pass rusher and Oline.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 03:34 PM) any thourghts on shane ray? i see a lot of mocks have us drafting him
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:35 PM) last one i seen had us taking cooper, a RB, and hundley for our 1st 3 picks. not thrilled about that
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:38 PM) I don't like Gordon much. Not much of a receiver or blocker, ball security issues, tries to bounce outside too much, stuffed frequently. Gurley is in a league of his own
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:39 PM) Ray is pretty highly regarded. I'm betting he, Dupree, and Gregory will be our best options as well as edge rushers at 6, but I think that's too high for any of them
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 04:43 PM) Personally love Cooper, I know WR isn't our biggest need but he may be the most NFL ready guy in the Draft. If we stick to the 6th pick and Fowler, Beasley, and Mariota are gone, Cooper is the guy to get. I'd even take him over Beasley
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM) i don't mind cooper. decker isn't number 1 IMO and marshall is expensive and getting old
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM) and we never draft a WR high
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:45 PM) but o-line and QB are huge needs. i wouldn't take o-line 6th overall, but i think our 2nd or 3rd should be o-line
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 05:46 PM) we need an OLB as well. if we don't land a QB i'd like to see OLB adn O-line with 2 of our top 3 picks
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:16 PM) I agree on Deck, not a true #1 and he's had a checkered history with injuries. Marshall has 2, maybe 3 productive years left, which is why Cooper is an option
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:17 PM) And I agree with you on edge rusher & OL being bigger needs, but there really isn't a lineman I'd take at 6
Chadforpresi... Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:19 PM) So the way I see it, assuming Winston and Mariota are taken when we're at 6, that Fowler and Cooper are our best choices, and I'd be stunned if Fowler drops. I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if we land Cooper
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 08:47 PM) Apparently Tennessee wanted both of Cleveland's #1's and their 2nd rounder to move up to the #2 spot to get Mariota. Still think two 1st rounders are too much for Rivers? He makes us instant contenders and if we make a deep playoff run, it would really be this year's 1st and what equates to basically a 2nd rounder next year.
If not, get Cooper in the 1st and then grab Hundley in the 2nd and O-line in the 3rd.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:05 PM) I wouldn't be upset with Cooper, hes a stud
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:06 PM) Not sure about Ray. Dupree is rising on the draft boards, ridiculously athletic for his size
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:07 PM) Dupree is 6'4 270 and has a amazing get off and runs a 4.5
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM) Problem is he doesn't have big sack numbers in college, I rather draft a productive guy high
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM) Vic Beasley is insanely athletic as well and was hugely productive in college, good bet is that Beasley will be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL
NJAzrael71 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:12 PM) Beasley should be a stud but he gets caught up hand fighting if he doesn't beat his guy quickly. He'll likely end up as an OLB but we'll see
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2015 - 10:15 PM) He'd be a good fit in our defense, because we could use that speed guy on the outside
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 06:27 AM) I'd love Rivers, but we should be able to get him without paying 2 first rounders
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 06:29 AM) Lot of buzz about Dupree going top 10, most mocks I see have us getting either Ray or Dupree at 6. I prefer Dupree, like you said insane athlete for his size
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 06:30 AM) I like Beasley as well but I have a strong feeling Washington will snag him. But he is a small dude, it'd be nice if he'd add some bulk (in Clemson reportedly played around 230)
Chaos Icon : (23 April 2015 - 10:11 AM) @ArifHasanNFL

.@LanceZierlein says on http://sports790.com that Shane Ray will need surgery on foot, 5 months recovery. "Could drop out of first"
Chaos Icon : (23 April 2015 - 10:14 AM) this should change up the top 10
Chadforpresi... Icon : (23 April 2015 - 12:16 PM) Damn that's big. If he drops out of round 1 that could be a massive bargain for whoever gets him round 2. Dupree now looks more like the edge rusher we'd get at 6
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 April 2015 - 09:40 PM) TEH RANGERS
santana Icon : (24 April 2015 - 11:32 PM) TEH WIZ
Resize Shouts Area

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

2013 Head Coach Options:

#21 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostChaos, on 25 November 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

No. No. I do not want Schottenheimer round 2 here. Bill Polian will only result in Chris Polian after a season and that's a big no. I want to hire someone to run the team, not to set his son up for a job.


You act as if Chris Polian would give the team herpes.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#22 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,157
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 25 November 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

You act as if Chris Polian would give the team herpes.


We had this conversation in the shout box a while back. Why hire a guy who will be here for a season and then leave the team in the hands of someone that the ownership didn't hire? Like we saw with the Schottenheimers, son does not equal father. I don't want to replace Tanny for the sake of replacing him. Why not bring Bradshaw back at that point? I want the Jets to hire a true evaluator of talent. Papa Polian has an established history, what does his son have? Three years of experience with the Colts that resulted in him getting fired after a 2-14 season? Here are the drafts he's had:

2009: http://www.profootba...olis-colts.html
2010: http://www.profootba...olis-colts.html
2011: http://www.profootba...olis-colts.html

I rather get a guy with experience, not a name.
0

#23 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostChaos, on 25 November 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

We had this conversation in the shout box a while back. Why hire a guy who will be here for a season and then leave the team in the hands of someone that the ownership didn't hire? Like we saw with the Schottenheimers, son does not equal father. I don't want to replace Tanny for the sake of replacing him. Why not bring Bradshaw back at that point? I want the Jets to hire a true evaluator of talent. Papa Polian has an established history, what does his son have? Three years of experience with the Colts that resulted in him getting fired after a 2-14 season? Here are the drafts he's had:

2009: http://www.profootba...olis-colts.html
2010: http://www.profootba...olis-colts.html
2011: http://www.profootba...olis-colts.html

I rather get a guy with experience, not a name.


If Woody Johnson were to hire Bill Polian I'm sure knowing what happened in Indy he (Woody) would make it clear how long Bill would have to stay with the team. And if Bill were really looking to get his son a job, he'd agree to Woody's terms however long he (Bill) would have to stay. Remember it's Woody's team at the end of the day. If Woody wants Bill and not Chris than that's the way it will be or Bill won't come at all. But if Woody is willing to accept Bill for 3 or 4 years and then let Bill hand off the reigns to his son, than that would be Woody's decision. Just like it was Irsay's decision. The buck stops with Woody. And as I said in the shoutbox even if that were the case, we do not know that Chris Polian would be a bad GM. He wasn't in charge in Indy long enough to make that determination. And really are you going to blame Chris Polian for the Colts 2-14 record when Peyton Manning spent the entire season injured? Come on.

You talk about the Schottenheimers but they're not different. Neither of them could get to the Super Bowl and they were both extremely conservative in crucial games or crucial moments. So that's one case of the son being like the father. But in reality the Schottenheimers or the Ryans or the Rooneys or the Irsays, nothing they've done or haven't done has anything to do with picking the right players on this team going forward. If Chris Polian were to eventually become the GM of this team he has shown no indication that he'd be a bad GM. Is this more fear of the unknown or rather fear that because one father and son tandem didn't work out in NFL history (Marty and Brian) then that must mean all father and son tandems are doomed? I'm not going to be afraid of the Polians because of something the Schottenheimers did or didn't do. Different people, different situations. Only thing they have in common are they are both a set of father and son who worked in the NFL.

P.S.
Plus the only reason the Polians were able to do that in Indy was because the Colts were contenders every year. If under Bill Polian the Jets were not contenders after 2 or 3 years, I really doubt Woody would let Bill hand the reigns to his son. They'd both be gone. It was Indy's years of success that made it possible for Irsay to go along with Bill handing it off to his son.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#24 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 291
  • Joined: 24-January 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Not wanting Bill Polian is laughable, no matter your reason.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach
0

#25 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 274
  • Joined: 08-August 12

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 23 November 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

I'm a Rex Ryan fan. I think that 15 years ago, he'd be a Top 5 HC. His style and his defensive expertise are top notch. Unfortunately, he's coaching in the wrong era. The three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense that he wants to run are a relic in the NFL. If you look at the teams who won playoff games last season, you'll see every single one being coached by a guy who cut his teeth on the offensive side of the ball (with the exception of John Fox). Is this a coincidence? I doubt it. We are in the era of the QB and the spread offense. Not only is Ryan a poor fit in that sense, it's also painfully clear that he's lost this team (again). Given Woody's traditional short leash on coaches, I'd be shocked if Rex is here in 2013. He'll be fired the Monday after the last game just like Mangini was.


Ryan's problem isn't his preference for running the ball. When the Jets have run the ball well, they've played well. Solid defense and ball control through pounding the ball are still viable. It might not be the greatest strategy, but it obviously can work since that is what got us to two AFC Championship games (also, look at team's like the Ravens who play better when Rice is the focus and not Flacco).

Ryan's problem is he believes the league is still a play-with-your-heart league. You win games in the NFL using your mind. The Jets are never prepared, so they always fall behind immediately and lose.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me


Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.
0

#26 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,157
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

View Postsexyrexy, on 26 November 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Not wanting Bill Polian is laughable, no matter your reason.


Bill Polian is approaching 70. He has been in NFL management capacity from 1986 until he was fired in 2011. He has spent 25 years of his life doing this and has won the Super Bowl twice and been there six/seven times. I am not here to decide what he does with his life or how long he continues, but I do not want to hire someone as a temp. I want a GM that is here to do the job and I want someone who has time to implement his vision. Bill was President of the Colts association and hired his son to be GM from 2009 onwards. I do not know what level of control each individual had, but the fact that his son was GM for three years leads me to think that he was handing off the reins to his son and bowing out. I want a guy who is here to do the job, bring in talent and establish something. I'm not sure hiring Bill Polian would be doing that.

View PostMr_Jet, on 25 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

If Woody Johnson were to hire Bill Polian I'm sure knowing what happened in Indy he (Woody) would make it clear how long Bill would have to stay with the team. And if Bill were really looking to get his son a job, he'd agree to Woody's terms however long he (Bill) would have to stay. Remember it's Woody's team at the end of the day. If Woody wants Bill and not Chris than that's the way it will be or Bill won't come at all. But if Woody is willing to accept Bill for 3 or 4 years and then let Bill hand off the reigns to his son, than that would be Woody's decision. Just like it was Irsay's decision. The buck stops with Woody. And as I said in the shoutbox even if that were the case, we do not know that Chris Polian would be a bad GM. He wasn't in charge in Indy long enough to make that determination. And really are you going to blame Chris Polian for the Colts 2-14 record when Peyton Manning spent the entire season injured? Come on.

You talk about the Schottenheimers but they're not different. Neither of them could get to the Super Bowl and they were both extremely conservative in crucial games or crucial moments. So that's one case of the son being like the father. But in reality the Schottenheimers or the Ryans or the Rooneys or the Irsays, nothing they've done or haven't done has anything to do with picking the right players on this team going forward. If Chris Polian were to eventually become the GM of this team he has shown no indication that he'd be a bad GM. Is this more fear of the unknown or rather fear that because one father and son tandem didn't work out in NFL history (Marty and Brian) then that must mean all father and son tandems are doomed? I'm not going to be afraid of the Polians because of something the Schottenheimers did or didn't do. Different people, different situations. Only thing they have in common are they are both a set of father and son who worked in the NFL.

P.S.
Plus the only reason the Polians were able to do that in Indy was because the Colts were contenders every year. If under Bill Polian the Jets were not contenders after 2 or 3 years, I really doubt Woody would let Bill hand the reigns to his son. They'd both be gone. It was Indy's years of success that made it possible for Irsay to go along with Bill handing it off to his son.


It is a fear of the unknown. I understand that Chris may turn out to be a great GM but I rather the Jets sign a guy with some sort of tangible track record, not a guy whose mistakes could be masked by one of the greatest QBs to play the game. I don't think Bill will be here for the long haul. He may have the resume but if he's not going to stay, what's the point? Jets need a long term fix with continuity, not a guy to right the ship a little bit and then head off. What happens if Bill fixes the ship within a year or two and then Woody agrees to hand it off to his son? No track record and we're back to square one hoping he continues what his father established. Would you be okay with hiring Chris Polian this offseason with no Bill Polian coming with him?
0

#27 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,314
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth

  • NFL Team:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostChaos, on 26 November 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Bill Polian is approaching 70. He has been in NFL management capacity from 1986 until he was fired in 2011. He has spent 25 years of his life doing this and has won the Super Bowl twice and been there six/seven times. I am not here to decide what he does with his life or how long he continues, but I do not want to hire someone as a temp. I want a GM that is here to do the job and I want someone who has time to implement his vision. Bill was President of the Colts association and hired his son to be GM from 2009 onwards. I do not know what level of control each individual had, but the fact that his son was GM for three years leads me to think that he was handing off the reins to his son and bowing out. I want a guy who is here to do the job, bring in talent and establish something. I'm not sure hiring Bill Polian would be doing that.



It is a fear of the unknown. I understand that Chris may turn out to be a great GM but I rather the Jets sign a guy with some sort of tangible track record, not a guy whose mistakes could be masked by one of the greatest QBs to play the game. I don't think Bill will be here for the long haul. He may have the resume but if he's not going to stay, what's the point? Jets need a long term fix with continuity, not a guy to right the ship a little bit and then head off. What happens if Bill fixes the ship within a year or two and then Woody agrees to hand it off to his son? No track record and we're back to square one hoping he continues what his father established. Would you be okay with hiring Chris Polian this offseason with no Bill Polian coming with him?


70 years old is not ancient. Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became president. If Bill Polian were the GM for 4 or 5 years that should be enough time to build a championship contender. If it is taking more than 4 to 5 years to build a championship contending team then Woody should let Bill Polian go and Chris Polian wouldn't even get a chance to takeover. And if it's fear of the unknown then nobody new would get a chance. Nobody would be able to work there way up the ladder. New blood has to get a chance at some point. We can't have Bill Polian still in the GM's chair when he's 85. Now that would be too old. At some point Bill Polian would have to step down and in this day and age how likely is it that a GM of any team at any age would stay with one team more than 10 years anyway. Plus there is no evidence that Woody would even go along with something like that. If Woody were to let something like what you think would happen to happen, that decision would have to be based off of Colts like results. If Bill Polian in 4 years were able to build a championship contending team like the Colts were for the better part of the last decade, if he were able to luck up on getting the "elite QB" that so many folks around here are salivating for. Then yes I would be willing to support Bill handing off his duties to his son at that point if he wanted to retire again. Like I've said before Chris Polian has shown no indication that he'd do a bad job. He's learned from one of the best and his dad even in retirement would still be an unofficial adviser. He'd only be a phone call away. But if I were Woody I wouldn't deny myself of the opportunity of hiring a great GM with a proven track record just because in a few years he might want to hand off his duties to his son. Chris Polian for all we know could be better than his father just as easily as he could be worse than his father. Sometimes you have to take a chance on the unknown.

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.


View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.
0

#28 User is offline   theanalogkid Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,913
  • Joined: 26-October 05

  • NFL Team:

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 November 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

<br />Sean Payton won't come here. The #1 guy I want is Bill Cowher, he demands respect. I don't believe in there is only one way to win a SB, we got damn close to a SB without a elite QB. The problem is that we suck at running the ball and aren't good on defense either. You don't think Cowher would adjust to a elite QB? He did adjust with Big Ben during that one playoff run and won a SB. The problem is, you have to have a elite QB to be successful throwing it all of the time. The great coaches know how to win without a great QB. I think Cowher would have won another SB or 2 if he kept on coaching, he finally had a great QB. When you have a inconsistent QB running the ball is the best way to cut down on their mistakes that kill you. <br /><br />I rather not hire another rookie HC, that is all Woody Johnson has ever done.<br />


Bill Cowher would have never won anything if he came here, he would have been tossed out after 1 bad season. It took Cowher 15 years to win a SB, no one in the NY area has that kind of patience.

The Jets went to the Championship game twice with Rex and now when there's a bad season the media/fans are ready to toss him to the curb. Do you think Cowher would want to leave his cushy job to come here and put up with that? I doubt it. Jets fans are their own worst enemy.
...no hero in your tradgey, no daring in your escape, no salutes to your surrender, nothing noble in your fate....Rush, The Pass.

0

#29 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 291
  • Joined: 24-January 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

70 years old is not ancient. Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became president. If Bill Polian were the GM for 4 or 5 years that should be enough time to build a championship contender. If it is taking more than 4 to 5 years to build a championship contending team then Woody should let Bill Polian go and Chris Polian wouldn't even get a chance to takeover. And if it's fear of the unknown then nobody new would get a chance. Nobody would be able to work there way up the ladder. New blood has to get a chance at some point. We can't have Bill Polian still in the GM's chair when he's 85. Now that would be too old. At some point Bill Polian would have to step down and in this day and age how likely is it that a GM of any team at any age would stay with one team more than 10 years anyway. Plus there is no evidence that Woody would even go along with something like that. If Woody were to let something like what you think would happen to happen, that decision would have to be based off of Colts like results. If Bill Polian in 4 years were able to build a championship contending team like the Colts were for the better part of the last decade, if he were able to luck up on getting the "elite QB" that so many folks around here are salivating for. Then yes I would be willing to support Bill handing off his duties to his son at that point if he wanted to retire again. Like I've said before Chris Polian has shown no indication that he'd do a bad job. He's learned from one of the best and his dad even in retirement would still be an unofficial adviser. He'd only be a phone call away. But if I were Woody I wouldn't deny myself of the opportunity of hiring a great GM with a proven track record just because in a few years he might want to hand off his duties to his son. Chris Polian for all we know could be better than his father just as easily as he could be worse than his father. Sometimes you have to take a chance on the unknown.


Couldn't have said it better myself.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach
0

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users