NYJetsFan.com Forums: Pettine Turns Down Contract Extension - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets lose by 1 to pats possibly Rex's last home game
santana Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) Rob relax
santana Icon : (Today, 07:36 PM) Christ
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) I don't take meds I'm not a psycho
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) I'm even keeled and I love getting rises out of you all
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) well smoke a bowl then
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:37 PM) I'm cool as a cucumber
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) I don't have $ to buy any weed right now
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) business is slow and I got other things to worry about
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) Game not over yet
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:38 PM) but I'm still cool as a cucumber
santana Icon : (Today, 07:39 PM) Who declared cucumbers cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:40 PM) cucumbers are cool cause I said so
santana Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) And you said so because you're cool as a cucumber
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) That was a stupid penalty
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) yup
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:41 PM) I'm mad chill
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:42 PM) he got hammered
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:42 PM) I'm not as cool as the other side of the pillow though cause that is gay as f***
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 07:43 PM) So what are you saying? You ride cucumbers?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:44 PM) nope but cucumbers are great on sandwiches and sandwiches are f***ing awesome
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:45 PM) and they can be fermented and become pickles which is always great on sandwiches and I already said it sandwiches are f***ing awesome
santana Icon : (Today, 07:46 PM) He's got a point
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:47 PM) of course I do I'm moderator material
santana Icon : (Today, 07:47 PM) Where's the studs and duds thread
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:48 PM) I bring shit to the table that noone else does cause well I'm f***ing awesome just like sandwiches
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:48 PM) there were no studs
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:48 PM) and the duds would be so long to list I'd still be typing if I had started that thread
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:49 PM) but at least the bills lost to the lowly raiders
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:52 PM) Ok im trying to get this
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:52 PM) the jets have gone up against all total teams with a record of 114-110
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:52 PM) the Jags have gone up against 114-109-1
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:53 PM) if Denver wins. that's 115-110 against us and 114-110-1 against the Jags
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:54 PM) How do they have the harder Schedule strength??
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 07:56 PM) that's if Denver wins tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 08:11 PM) Is it me or is Tony Dungy awkward looking when he tries to smile and stares straight into the camera while doing the Football Night in America broadcast
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:17 PM) the job the GM in Arizona has done with dealing with all those injuries this season is something I would love to emulate for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:17 PM) finding talent in places you don't expect
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:17 PM) but instead we get a pencil pusher
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:17 PM) who puts us in great position cap wise but can't evaluate talent for shit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:18 PM) and makes horrible draft picks
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:18 PM) and just wasted every single JETS fans time for the past 6 months
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:18 PM) and next monday that shit comes to an end
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:18 PM) bye bye idzik bye bye rex dueces geno
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:19 PM) Fire Idzik Fire Rex Cut Geno
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 09:23 PM) Would you make a trade to get Larry Fitzgerald?
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Pettine Turns Down Contract Extension

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine turns down contract extension, according to source

The Jets may lose one of the key cogs that helped them find so much defensive success in recent years. The Daily News has learned that defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has turned down a contract extension offer that would keep him with the team beyond this season.

The Jets typically attempt to extend coaches on their final year of their deals, but Pettine will effectively become a free agent after the season, according to sources. Pettine, who came to the Jets with Rex Ryan from the Ravens, wasn’t immediately available for comment.

With so much uncertainty swirling around the Jets heading into the offseason, losing Pettine would be a significant blow to the team’s most productive unit. Ryan’s trust in Pettine was one of the most critical elements of stabilizing a team that was on the precipice of falling out of the playoff picture a couple times during the season.

Pettine's success with the Jets would make him a potential head coaching candidate after the dominos fall across the league after the season.

The Jets have finished first, third and fifth in total defense under Pettine. His unit was the backbone of the teams that went to two consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010.

Despite losing All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis to season-ending ACL injury early in the year, the Jets are eighth in total defense -- and No. 2 in pass defense -- with two weeks left. Pettine's unit helped keep the Jets’ playoff hopes alive in the past several weeks before a 14-10 loss to the Titans on Monday night mathematically eliminated them from postseason contention.

Pettine admitted to reporters on Thursday that a few of his defensive players have expressed frustrations about feeling the need to pitch a shutout each week due to the team’s offensive struggles this season.

“I know it’s frustrating that they feel like they have to do it,“ Pettine said. “In the past maybe it affected me as a play caller where you feel like, ‘Hey, listen I can’t go too much risk-reward here because if we go down a certain amount, there’s a reasonable chance we’re not going to get back in it.’ … I think I changed that where we stayed aggressive maybe in times I wouldn’t have. I just think it’s human nature. I think it wears on our guys. They are competitive. They want to win. They want to do everything they can to help the team win… We just preach to our guys: Stay the course… When we get out there, it’s more TV time for us.”

The Jets have vaulted from 19th to eighth in total defense thanks, in part, to their improved third-down defense that has allowed opponents to convert just 4 of their last 44 attempts in the past three games.

http://www.nydailyne...cording-to-sour

#2 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Our defense is all Rex and Dunbar anyway. Didn't Rex have to basically reinsert himself into the meeting rooms after last season?

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Its actually a good career move for Pettine to leave for another job. People are always going to credit Rex for this defense.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 21 December 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Its actually a good career move for Pettine to leave for another job. People are always going to credit Rex for this defense.

He's thinking he'll get a HC shot. Won't happen. He has half the resume that Ron Rivera had, and look how long it took Rivera to get a job.

#5 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

One important thing, if Pettine is being offered an extension, that means Rex will be back next season. No way someone offers the DC an extension if the HC is going to be fired. Sorry A1.

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostChaos, on 21 December 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

One important thing, if Pettine is being offered an extension, that means Rex will be back next season. No way someone offers the DC an extension if the HC is going to be fired. Sorry A1.

Good point, though we don't know when he was offered a extension. Could have been before the season. I don't think Rex will be fired, they will probably give him another shot with a new QB. I do think that Tony Sparano will be fired and I can definitely see them making a run at hiring Norv Turner when hes fired to become OC. I think Tannenbaum could get canned or at least take a demotion.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

You're giving the Jets too much credit. I wouldn't be surprised if they extended everyone and then "reassigned" them. Didn't Schotty get an extension in 2010?

#8 User is online   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

He's tired of being a puppet. I don't blame him one bit. You want him to go shopping but he can't cook the dinner. Posted Image

#9 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 21 December 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

You're giving the Jets too much credit. I wouldn't be surprised if they extended everyone and then "reassigned" them. Didn't Schotty get an extension in 2010?

You are both right I bet extension dates are written into their contracts
And they get an automated letter or email when a due date is triggered like a god damn bank over draft
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users