NYJetsFan.com Forums: Nice-Guy Ryan Gets In The Way Of Coach Ryan - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) yeah he's really poor at coming out, timing, all of it
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) but as a shot stopper hes incredible
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:50 PM) Ramos is out i believe
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) I like varane but hes doubtful also
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) yeah Pepe and Varane at the back for Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) ITS GONNA BE GUD 05
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) Arbeloa(LFC former player) and Marcelo
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:51 PM) nervous
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) i gotta shower then i'm running down to the bar
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Nice-Guy Ryan Gets In The Way Of Coach Ryan good read by Trevor Pryce

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

http://fifthdown.blo...yan/?ref=sports

Nice-Guy Ryan Gets in the Way of Coach Ryan

In 2001, I was a member of a Denver Broncos defense that was, in all honesty, a mess. The defensive coordinator at the time was Greg Robinson, whose favorite saying was, “Guys, it’s never as bad or as good as you think it is.” And in most instances he was right. Sometimes a little perspective is needed. But in the case of the Jets and Rex Ryan, that perspective does not exist.

If every team had the exact same talent level on its roster, and commanding an N.F.L. sideline involved nothing more than X’s and O’s, Ryan would be one of the more revered coaches in sports. He is a brilliant strategist, a man who works to the point of exhaustion and possesses a passion for and knowledge of football that is unmatched. Combine that with the fact that no coach in the N.F.L knows how to get more out of less, and you have the makings of a perennial championship contender.

Sadly for Ryan’s fans and friends, being a head coach these days has very little to do with X’s and O’s and more to do with your personality. And the two personality traits that are stopping him from being a great head coach are the same two that make him a great human being: He is loyal to the point of defiance, and he cares enormously about the people around him.

Bill Belichick displays neither of those traits, certainly not while coaching. It’s why on a whim and following a stiff breeze, the man some call Darth Hood traded defensive end Richard Seymour, who was still in his prime and seemingly destined to be a Patriot for life, to the mess that is the Oakland Raiders for a few draft picks. For two years, Ryan has stuck with a quarterback who played as if he were trying to get him fired.

Ryan’s players and staff felt awful for their coach and friend when private moments in his life became public and embarrassed him and his family. In contrast, John Harbaugh had to quell a potential player mutiny in Baltimore two months ago. In Tampa Bay, some players reportedly wanted Greg Schiano and his staff sent back to college.

Eagles Coach Andy Reid fired the defensive coordinator Juan Castillo during the season, as if it was somehow Castillo’s fault that the players Reid picked had no interest in tackling. Ryan gave a friend, the former Pro Bowl defensive back Mark Carrier, the job coaching the Jets’ defensive line in 2010. Did it matter that Carrier knew next to nothing about defensive line play the day he inherited Shaun Ellis, Sione Po’uha and Kris Jenkins? Not to Ryan.

Being an N.F.L. coach is the ultimate study in “him or me” politics. You have to be willing to sacrifice just about anyone in your organization for the greater good. To a coach, the “greater good” often means protecting your own job security first. And that is the last thing Ryan wants to do.

Even with someone as polarizing as the former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, whose relationship with Ryan eventually grew contentious, Ryan’s first choice would have been to work it out. They parted on mutual terms because the last thing Ryan was going to do was fire a guy he believed in. No matter what.

Ryan somehow winds up with players nobody wants and then talks about them as if they are Pro Bowlers in order to build their confidence. In some cases, he is right, and the player ends up being a contributor for years. Bart Scott is one of the most successful examples. But in way too many cases Ryan is wrong, and that reality eventually becomes painfully apparent. The examples of defensive end Aaron Maybin and all of his current quarterbacks come to mind.

No one ever said Ryan was not a tough coach or a competitor. He is. It’s the reason he used to record the fights in practice and took the Jets to two A.F.C. championship games in a row. But these days being tough is not quite enough. In today’s world of access and social media, a head coach also has to be cold and calculating.

However, the debacle that was Monday’s loss at Tennessee was probably the day of change. Because when Ryan looks back on this season, it is going to harden him and change him.

The day is going to come when his player and coaching decisions will be made with the same cutthroat efficiency that you find in places like New England, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Ryan will realize he has no choice but to develop that same poisonous “him or me” attitude that permeates almost every other head coach in the N.F.L. And on that day the Jets will gain one of the better head coaches in the league. At the same time they will lose one of its better human beings.

And that is sad, because as Greg Robinson used to say, “It’s never as bad as you think it is.”

#2 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Coaching these days isn't about Xs and Os? f*** this article. Belichick does it with those and personality.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#3 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 22 December 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Coaching these days isn't about Xs and Os? f*** this article. Belichick does it with those and personality.

You know this is written by Trevor Pryce, right? Not just some pencil neck journalist?

I think the article is spot on...and says in so many better words than I could when I said Ryan could be an uncle instead of a father. It is sad...I'd rather Ryan remain a good person than become a "successful" head coach.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 22 December 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Belichick has a personality?

#5 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 22 December 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

You know this is written by Trevor Pryce, right? Not just some pencil neck journalist?

I think the article is spot on...and says in so many better words than I could when I said Ryan could be an uncle instead of a father. It is sad...I'd rather Ryan remain a good person than become a "successful" head coach.

You agree with Pryce that coaching isn't about the technical details in the modern NFL? I can't stand Ryan, and I think he is too much of a buddy to be a HC, but the idea good HCs in the league are more attitude than intelligence is stupid and is the premise of why Pryce thinks Ryan isn't a good HC.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#6 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

• Old Timer
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 22 December 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I am liking your post. :)
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users