NYJetsFan.com Forums: Rex Would Welcome Firing If Woody Johnson Doesn't Pay For Revamp Offense - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:44 PM) It would be one thing if it was just the second half or 4th quarter but this was the whole game. especially getting destroyed in the 1st quarter and at least part of the 2nd where a lot of the guys will be on the team
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:48 PM) 2nd and 3rd stringers making the team had something to prove and even our 2nd stringers got owned so yes Im very concerned. The first stringers need breaks and also if some of them get injured they need to step up. So no after this performance start to finish Im very concerned
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:39 AM) Meh...you're reading too much into it
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:40 AM) Even in seasons where the Jets blew, I haven't seen anyone refer to the preseason to complain. Ever.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:15 AM) fire izdik http://theredzone.or...rs/Default.aspx
Jetsman05 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 11:17 AM) I picture Rob and 115 as real life friends
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 04:01 PM) Holmes can still play, problem is that hes also a cancer. He wore out his welcome with the Jets
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 08:23 PM) did Hill get cut?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:00 PM) Haven't seen anything yet
MikeGangGree... Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Whos ready for the season!!? WOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (30 August 2014 - 11:54 AM) Hill has been cut
MikeGangGree... Icon : (30 August 2014 - 01:24 PM) Who wants to take bets he ends up in NE
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:18 PM) We'll I guess you guys are fools then in thinking im a fool for being concerned. Do any of you even know that in 2013 the Jets gave up the most passing yards in the franchise since 1986? And our secondary right now is worse than last year right now. To not be concerned is utterly foolish.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Unless our d-line has a monstrous year odds are the team will be eaten up in the pass. Every team will game plan to exploit the pass this year.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:56 PM) Patterson got cut
flood555 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:24 PM) Patterson must have been a huge cancer to get cut
flood555 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:26 PM) is there a midseason draft? we need a DB!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:58 PM) Our week 1 starting CBs will be Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls... wow
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:58 PM) interesting that Simms and Boyd were released
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 04:00 PM) No more McIntyre
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:20 PM) Pretty sure some of these cuts like Simms and McIntyre were made for removing some more cap space to try to find some decent corners and maybe another reliable wr. Possibly get some players cheap. I'd say the current 53 roster will change a good bit in the next week.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:23 PM) I just hope Geno doesn't get hurt or we are horse f*cked. Vick sure as hell can't stay healthy for a full season. I guess the FO could also be think of picking up an old vet cut as 3rd qb. Simms is ok but I'd never trust him to win a regular season game if he was put in.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:25 PM) Anyway it's going yo be an interesting week.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) I doubt it was about freeing up money, considering we are way under. Like more than $20 mil, way more than enough to find some vet minimum CB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 10:19 PM) it's more about the roster numbers. McIntyre was replaced by rookies. IK showed flashes when he played
bleedsgreen Icon : (31 August 2014 - 08:34 AM) McIntyre is a shock to me he was a solid backup and made some big plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (31 August 2014 - 04:44 PM) 1 week till we are 1-0
ganggreen2003 Icon : (31 August 2014 - 04:44 PM) we need to annihilate the GAYders
azjetfan Icon : (31 August 2014 - 05:28 PM) We claimed McFadden from the Browns. Knows the system should be able to contribute right away
azjetfan Icon : (31 August 2014 - 05:29 PM) Watching the Browns game now. Playing all three CB spots. Looks OK. A little grabby although he has not been called for it
azjetfan Icon : (31 August 2014 - 05:30 PM) Might be a little aggressive and get burnt over top
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (31 August 2014 - 10:26 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:58 AM) ^^^ agreed
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:25 PM) all the admins on this page should be fired
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:25 PM) for being assclowns
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:17 PM) The Jets are fucked at CB, signing some bums now. We need Milliner to get healthy
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 04:20 PM) We have signed CB Phillip Adams
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:55 PM) The Gayders are playing Derek Carr against the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:55 PM) our D Line better put him in a WORLD OF PAIN
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:11 PM) Rookie QB in our house...Rex do your thing!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:56 PM) with Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls as our starting CBs
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:00 PM) our offense should be better than last year, Geno looks more comfortable
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) The Jets released Jeremiah George and Ellis Lankster, hopefully George finds his way to the PS. AJ Edds was re-signed
santana Icon : (Today, 11:08 AM) Fire the admins!
santana Icon : (Today, 11:08 AM) Over paid talents
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Rex Would Welcome Firing If Woody Johnson Doesn't Pay For Revamp Offense

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Rex Ryan may be staging his exit after a second consecutive forgettable season if Jets owner Woody Johnson isn’t willing to invest more money into revamping the team’s struggling offense.

The Daily News has learned that Ryan, the swashbuckling point man who dominated the headlines for the past four seasons, has intimated to “anyone who will listen” that he would be better off getting fired if Johnson isn’t willing to rectify player personnel and coaching issues on offense, according to sources.

It’s unlikely that Johnson would fire Ryan, who has two years and more than $6 million remaining on his contract. However, sources told The News that Ryan has not been given assurances about his job security three days before the season finale against the Bills on Sunday.

Ryan declined comment about his future when reached by The News. “If Woody’s not willing to do what it takes to fix the team, then (Ryan) knows he’s better off being fired,” a team source said. “If Woody is willing to eat some money and spend to get us out of this mess, then it’s worth staying.”

Ryan’s recommendations to Johnson would almost certainly include replacing first-year offensive coordinator Tony Sparano with a new play-caller. However, it’s unclear whether Johnson is willing to pay off the remaining portion of Sparano’s deal.
PHOTOS: ARE BUTT-FUMBLING JETS AMONG SPORTS' WORST ALL-TIME TEAMS?

“The million-dollar question is how much dead money is Woody willing to absorb for 2013 with front office, coaches and players?” a league source familiar with the situation said. “If Woody’s not willing to spend, then (Ryan) would want out. He’d be a lame duck. Anybody would want out.”

Sources confirm that Ryan prefers to stay with the Jets if his owner is willing to pour in all the necessary resources to breathe life into one of the most anemic passing offenses in the league. Although Johnson’s bottom-line budget is unknown, sources said that Ryan won’t simply resign if the owner isn’t willing to make sufficient changes.

“He won’t quit,” a team official said.

At that point, one plausible scenario beneficial to Johnson would be to buy Ryan out of his contract with an agreed-upon financial settlement.

Otherwise, Ryan would essentially be coaching for his job next season. Without a significant upgrade in offensive talent, the Jets would be a borderline playoff team at best.

If Ryan were to part ways with the Jets, he would be an attractive candidate for several head coaching jobs expected to be available as early as Monday. He would also be amenable to taking a one-year hiatus and working in television, according to sources.

It would be a stunning end to an entertaining and mildly successful four-year run with the Jets.

With his penchant for brash and daring statements, Ryan quickly transformed the Jets into the most polarizing team in the league. He wasted little time placing a bull’s-eye on the franchise by claiming at his introductory press conference in 2009 that the Jets would be paying a post Super Bowl-victory visit to the White House to meet the President “in the next couple years.”

The Jets dominated the headlines in 2009 and 2010 with their style and substance. Gang Green’s back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances coupled with Ryan’s supreme confidence made the Jets the toast of the town.

But the Jets, who are 14-17 over the past two years, went into a tailspin after their early success.

“I’m always going to keep searching because I’m trying to win,” Ryan said after a 27-17 loss to the Chargers on Sunday ensured his first losing season as a head coach. “Whatever it takes, that’s what I’m here to do. Obviously, it’s been a bad season. There’s no question about that, but I’m going to keep competing. I want to win. I came here to win a championship.”

It may make perfect sense for Ryan to leave if Johnson isn’t willing to take the necessary steps to revamp the offense. The dearth of offensive talent on the roster would likely be too much to overcome next season. Ryan could realistically be fired if the Jets miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year. Moreover, Ryan’s market value could dip. It may behoove him to make a move to greener pastures now. Potential openings include the Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs, Browns and Cardinals.

Ryan has deflected questions about his future in the past couple of weeks, but acknowledged on several occasions that this season has been a disappointment.

“Obviously, if you don’t make the playoffs, you’re not going to win a championship this year, but we’ll see what happens,” Ryan said after losing to the Chargers. “I know one thing: I’m always going to keep believing, I’m going to keep working and I’m going to keep trying to search for answers.”

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...1#ixzz2GMRFnHv2
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I would welcome Ryan's firing if Johnson was willing to put out the money to do it.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#3 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

What is with the idea this team is cheap? It uses it's payroll every year. This isn't MLB.

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm looking at this and I see Rex trying to become the GM/HC.

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 28 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

I'm looking at this and I see Rex trying to become the GM/HC.

This guy Spano that I follow on twitter, hes been saying since the summer or before that that he has been told that Tannenbaum and Rex don't see eye to eye and they have a feud going. Here are some tweets he made today.

@NickSpano
Was told in secrecy earlier in the year that the disconnect between Rex and Tanny is not fixable. It's going to be one or the other.
@NickSpano
This same person, who told me about the Tanny/Rex feud, told me it was on Tanny. He got too big for his britches & burnt a TON of bridges
‏@NickSpano
Pretty much, there are a handful of teams and agents/players, that won't even speak to the Jets, because of Tannenbaum.
@NickSpano
So think about the polar opposites. EVERYONE loves Rex (players, etc) and they don't work w/ Mr T. Tell me who should go?

Here are some tweets from Leon Washington's wife today.

@CharityLuvs
If reports are true 3 years ago I called that TanneBUM would be out.. Can't pay undeserving players & trade your leaders.. Bye Bye Tanny LOL

@CharityLuvs
I've always said its not the PLAYERS.. It's the FRONT OFFICE

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Since we traded him Washington has under six hundred yards combined rushing and receiving and four kickoff TDs. McKnight has over seven hundred yards combined and two kickoff TDs. Washington was a f***ing overrated player who hasn't done shit since he left and needs to tell his wife to stay off twitter because all she does is remind everyone that they tried to talk all sorts of shit and look stupid for it.

I don't even like Mcknight but I thought it was a good move at the time and I still think it was. You get rid of overhyped players when you have the chance, the Jets' problem is bringing in overhyped players, not getting rid of them-they do that fine.

#7 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I brought this up last season in a topic about Schotty. I assumed that Rex always wanted to get rid of Schotty (he came here with his own OC who he had to make a QB coach) and that internal politics were the biggest factor. I totally see what Rex is doing. He knows that even if he keeps his job, he'll be looking over his shoulder in 2013 and will be on the hot seat. Why not force Woody's hand now? If it works, you not only have one year of free reign as the GM/HC but you can also make some moves that will bide you more time. If you end up having a playoff season in 2013, you'll have a job for the next half decade. If Woody plays hardball, you have a severance package and you're free to explore whatever HC gig you want (especially college where I think he'll end up eventually anyway). This is the boldest move he could've made and frankly, I didn't think he was smart enough to turn the tables on Woody. I'm impressed and kinda want to see him as GM now.

#8 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 28 December 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

I brought this up last season in a topic about Schotty. I assumed that Rex always wanted to get rid of Schotty (he came here with his own OC who he had to make a QB coach) and that internal politics were the biggest factor. I totally see what Rex is doing. He knows that even if he keeps his job, he'll be looking over his shoulder in 2013 and will be on the hot seat. Why not force Woody's hand now? If it works, you not only have one year of free reign as the GM/HC but you can also make some moves that will bide you more time. If you end up having a playoff season in 2013, you'll have a job for the next half decade. If Woody plays hardball, you have a severance package and you're free to explore whatever HC gig you want (especially college where I think he'll end up eventually anyway). This is the boldest move he could've made and frankly, I didn't think he was smart enough to turn the tables on Woody. I'm impressed and kinda want to see him as GM now.

I would not be convinced about Rex being in charge of personnel for a year, especially when it comes to the offense. John Conner - a fullback who did next to nothing on the team except generate some headlines while we were on Hard Knocks - was one of Rex's picks, so I wouldn't want to see what a complete draft class he has final say in looks like.
Ryan's supposed wish to see Sparano chopped is interesting too, considering he's the man who helped hire him to run the offense.

#9 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Doesn't surprise me that Tannenbaum burns a lot of bridges. Didn't he lie to Pete Kendall's face when asking him to take a goodwill pay cut in return for a future reimbursment? Tannenbaum would be awesome at balancing the books at some major business. But keep that weasel away from my football team from now on.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users