NYJetsFan.com Forums: Keller Says "my Way Or The High Way" - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) If they keep ZHill after this game I will be shocked.
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:38 PM) Philly gave us a worse ass whipping than Detroit gave Buffalo. only difference is we scored
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 09:42 PM) Im just wondering what manning will put up on our secondary? 70?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:12 PM) who cares about getting destroyed in a preseason game, especially the 4th one. Most of these guys won't even make the team
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:15 PM) Hill cut yet?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:21 PM) Yeah this game means nothing...except to Stephen Hill (who fumbled lol) and 115
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:23 PM) Hill is a bum, hes pretty much never shown much football skill. The Jets fucked up big time taking him over Alshon Jeffery.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) I'm still pissed off about that
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:43 PM) Its not that Im worried about the preseason game itself. i could care less about that. Its the fact of how bad we got destroyed. And some of the guys will be on the team and others on the fringe so getting destroyed like that doesnt fill me with confidence
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:44 PM) It would be one thing if it was just the second half or 4th quarter but this was the whole game. especially getting destroyed in the 1st quarter and at least part of the 2nd where a lot of the guys will be on the team
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:48 PM) 2nd and 3rd stringers making the team had something to prove and even our 2nd stringers got owned so yes Im very concerned. The first stringers need breaks and also if some of them get injured they need to step up. So no after this performance start to finish Im very concerned
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:39 AM) Meh...you're reading too much into it
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:40 AM) Even in seasons where the Jets blew, I haven't seen anyone refer to the preseason to complain. Ever.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:15 AM) fire izdik http://theredzone.or...rs/Default.aspx
Jetsman05 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 11:17 AM) I picture Rob and 115 as real life friends
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 04:01 PM) Holmes can still play, problem is that hes also a cancer. He wore out his welcome with the Jets
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 08:23 PM) did Hill get cut?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:00 PM) Haven't seen anything yet
MikeGangGree... Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Whos ready for the season!!? WOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (30 August 2014 - 11:54 AM) Hill has been cut
MikeGangGree... Icon : (30 August 2014 - 01:24 PM) Who wants to take bets he ends up in NE
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:18 PM) We'll I guess you guys are fools then in thinking im a fool for being concerned. Do any of you even know that in 2013 the Jets gave up the most passing yards in the franchise since 1986? And our secondary right now is worse than last year right now. To not be concerned is utterly foolish.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Unless our d-line has a monstrous year odds are the team will be eaten up in the pass. Every team will game plan to exploit the pass this year.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:56 PM) Patterson got cut
flood555 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:24 PM) Patterson must have been a huge cancer to get cut
flood555 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:26 PM) is there a midseason draft? we need a DB!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:58 PM) Our week 1 starting CBs will be Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls... wow
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:58 PM) interesting that Simms and Boyd were released
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 04:00 PM) No more McIntyre
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:20 PM) Pretty sure some of these cuts like Simms and McIntyre were made for removing some more cap space to try to find some decent corners and maybe another reliable wr. Possibly get some players cheap. I'd say the current 53 roster will change a good bit in the next week.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:23 PM) I just hope Geno doesn't get hurt or we are horse f*cked. Vick sure as hell can't stay healthy for a full season. I guess the FO could also be think of picking up an old vet cut as 3rd qb. Simms is ok but I'd never trust him to win a regular season game if he was put in.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:25 PM) Anyway it's going yo be an interesting week.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) I doubt it was about freeing up money, considering we are way under. Like more than $20 mil, way more than enough to find some vet minimum CB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 10:19 PM) it's more about the roster numbers. McIntyre was replaced by rookies. IK showed flashes when he played
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 AM) McIntyre is a shock to me he was a solid backup and made some big plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:44 PM) 1 week till we are 1-0
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:44 PM) we need to annihilate the GAYders
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:28 PM) We claimed McFadden from the Browns. Knows the system should be able to contribute right away
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:29 PM) Watching the Browns game now. Playing all three CB spots. Looks OK. A little grabby although he has not been called for it
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:30 PM) Might be a little aggressive and get burnt over top
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:26 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:58 AM) ^^^ agreed
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 12:25 PM) all the admins on this page should be fired
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 12:25 PM) for being assclowns
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Keller Says "my Way Or The High Way" Jets fans say: f*** YOU!

#1 User is offline   nejets2820 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Dustin Keller: New York Jets shouldn't franchise me
  • Posted Image
  • By Kareem Copeland
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Dec. 28, 2012 at 08:55 a.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 28, 2012 at 01:57 p.m.

New York Jets tight end Dustin Keller is not interested in the franchise tag when his rookie contract expires after this season. The five-year NFL veteran missed seven games this season with hamstring and ankle injuries.

"I don't want to be franchised," Keller told the New York Daily News on Thursday. "You want to make sure that you're going somewhere and you're signing something that was your decision. You don't want to be told that you're doing something for whatever price. You want to make that decision for yourself. You don't want somebody else making it for you. I would love to come back here, but when I came here, I signed a five-year deal and this is the fifth year on it.

"You want to be able to make that decision for yourself. That'd be illegal in another job."

The rules surrounding the franchise tag are a whole other discussion. They're part of the collective bargaining agreement and aren't changing until it's renegotiated.

The 2013 franchise tag for tight ends is tentatively set for $5.962 million. That's probably more than Keller would command as a free agent but without the security of a multiyear deal. He had a career year in 2011 with 65 receptions for 815 yards and five touchdowns. He played in all 64 games his first four years. But he's not on the list with the top tight ends in the NFL.

"My thinking always was that if they want me to, I will play out this deal and sign a new contract (after the season)," Keller said. "That's my word. The whole franchise tag deal is crazy. Somebody played out their contract, but now you can make them come back for another year even if it's not something they want to do? That's not the situation that I'm in right now, but I just think it's crazy.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   nejets2820 Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Seriously? This guy thinks he deserves a new f***ing contract after his "performances" this year? FUCKK THAT SHIIT! Let him f***ing walk for all I care. Once the next team that picks him up starts losing, he's gonna feign injuries just like he did to us.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

We should have traded him last year. He has an overrated idea of his value and we stink anyway.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#4 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

He has no say in the franchise tag.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

He's going to go the BE route. He thinks he's in line for a big contract? Nope. He's not Top 15 at his position and he hasn't been healthy. He's going to get a couple of 1 year offers to prove that he can stay healthy.

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

what did he say so bad that makes you hate him? seriously?
His logic is 100% sound. he signed a 5 year deal and he played it out w/o wanting a raise or an extension or threatening to hold out (aka revis) he honored his deal and all he said is he doesn't want to be franchised. I can't blame him personally. If you had a job that the risk was it could end any day and somebody offers you a 5 year security and then someone else forces you to play for them 1 year with no security you'd feel cheated too.

When did you all get so bitter becuase we had a crappy season?
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 28 December 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

His logic is 100% sound. he signed a 5 year deal and he played it out w/o wanting a raise or an extension or threatening to hold out (aka revis) he honored his deal and all he said is he doesn't want to be franchised. I can't blame him personally. If you had a job that the risk was it could end any day and somebody offers you a 5 year security and then someone else forces you to play for them 1 year with no security you'd feel cheated too.

That he isn't that good of a TE and being in a bad offense has been a scapegoat for him and that he is just a slightly above average receiving TE who isn't that good at anything.

#8 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 28 December 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

The fact that he thinks he's worthy of a franchise tag. The franchise tag is the average of 5 top salaries at the player's position. Here's the list of the Top 5 paid TEs in the NFL:

Jason Witten, Dallas: $7.4 million/yr, $18.5 million guaranteed
Vernon Davis, San Francisco: $7.35 million/yr, $23 million guaranteed
Antonio Gates, San Diego: $7.235 million, $20.4 million guaranteed
Jermichael Finley, Green Bay: $7 million, $1 million guaranteed
Rob Gronkowski, New England: $6.9 million, $18 million guaranteed

So in essence, Keller is scoffing at a 1 year, $7.2M deal. Really Dustin? Your non-blocking, sometime-pass-catching, not-knowing-where-the-1st-down-marker constantly hurt ass thinks that he's too good for a 1 year deal? GTFO

#9 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 28 December 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I'm with you. Anyone bashing Keller needs their heads examined. With the exception of this season, Keller has played to his full extent & was the team's leading receiver for most of his contract. He actually EARNED his money & didn't make a bunch of noise. Whoever the new GM will be should offer him a 3 year deal that can extend to 4 or 5 that will benefit both parties.

The funny thing is that the same people that are crying about Keller not wanting to be franchized will likely be the ones willing to throw all kinds of money at Revis in the offseason when we don;t even know how he'll come back from his injury.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#10 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 30 December 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm with you. Anyone bashing Keller needs their heads examined. With the exception of this season, Keller has played to his full extent & was the team's leading receiver for most of his contract. He actually EARNED his money & didn't make a bunch of noise. Whoever the new GM will be should offer him a 3 year deal that can extend to 4 or 5 that will benefit both parties.

The funny thing is that the same people that are crying about Keller not wanting to be franchized will likely be the ones willing to throw all kinds of money at Revis in the offseason when we don;t even know how he'll come back from his injury.

Except Revis is actually elite at a position that is still a high caliber spot, not a player playing TE who is just decent at one part of the job (catching) and shitty at the other(blocking). Keller isn't even top half of the league at his position.

#11 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

what player is really going to say that they want to get the franchise tag?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

You guys are dicks...put yourself in someone else's shoes for once...damn.....
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 30 December 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Except Revis is actually elite at a position that is still a high caliber spot, not a player playing TE who is just decent at one part of the job (catching) and shitty at the other(blocking). Keller isn't even top half of the league at his position.

Sorry a1, but you have to change your statement to Revis WAS elite at his position. Nobody knows how he's going to come back from the injury. You didn't notice the LACK of news regarding how his rehab is going? Nobody has heard a damn thing about it but you & others would still be okay with throwing a boatload of cash at him just because his jersey has the name Revis on the back? The last I checked, our secondary was amongst the tops in the league WITHOUT Revis.

For you to say Keller isn't in the top half of the league at TE is laughable. According to you, he's not in the top 16? REALLY? PLEASE enlighten me on the 16 TE's that are better than he is. You can't go with Tony Gonzalez because he's retiring.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#14 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 31 December 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Sorry a1, but you have to change your statement to Revis WAS elite at his position. Nobody knows how he's going to come back from the injury. You didn't notice the LACK of news regarding how his rehab is going? Nobody has heard a damn thing about it but you & others would still be okay with throwing a boatload of cash at him just because his jersey has the name Revis on the back? The last I checked, our secondary was amongst the tops in the league WITHOUT Revis.

For you to say Keller isn't in the top half of the league at TE is laughable. According to you, he's not in the top 16? REALLY? PLEASE enlighten me on the 16 TE's that are better than he is. You can't go with Tony Gonzalez because he's retiring.

So Keller is more valuable to this team than Revis is??
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 31 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

So Keller is more valuable to this team than Revis is??

No. I never said that he's more valuable. My point was that people are bitching about Keller needing a new deal & that he doesn't deserve one, but they'd be willing to throw a $hitload of money at someone still under contract for 2 more years that is coming off a potential career ending injury. No one has heard a thing about Revis with his recovery. No one knows if he'll be that same "elite" player he once was. I DAMN SURE wouldn't give him a new deal until after the 2013 season to ensure he is the same player he was & that he hasn't lost anything in the long time off. You notice he caught the injury bug & came up limp how many times after his holdout?

Our secondary is okay so if we could get 2 first round draft picks for Revis, I'd take it right now. Our pass D finished SECOND in the league without Revis. And it wasn't our DB's that were responsible for giving up that much. We got burned over the middle more than anywhere in LB territory.

We need a good pass catching TE more than we need Revis in my opinion. So if we can get 2 first rounders, go for it & let someone else take a big piece of their cap on someone that will only complain that he wants a new deal every 2-3 years.

#16 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 31 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

We need a good pass catching TE more than we need Revis in my opinion.

:sterb003: :banghead:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 31 December 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

No. I never said that he's more valuable. My point was that people are bitching about Keller needing a new deal & that he doesn't deserve one, but they'd be willing to throw a $hitload of money at someone still under contract for 2 more years that is coming off a potential career ending injury. No one has heard a thing about Revis with his recovery. No one knows if he'll be that same "elite" player he once was. I DAMN SURE wouldn't give him a new deal until after the 2013 season to ensure he is the same player he was & that he hasn't lost anything in the long time off. You notice he caught the injury bug & came up limp how many times after his holdout?

Our secondary is okay so if we could get 2 first round draft picks for Revis, I'd take it right now. Our pass D finished SECOND in the league without Revis. And it wasn't our DB's that were responsible for giving up that much. We got burned over the middle more than anywhere in LB territory.

We need a good pass catching TE more than we need Revis in my opinion. So if we can get 2 first rounders, go for it & let someone else take a big piece of their cap on someone that will only complain that he wants a new deal every 2-3 years.

Why is it that the argument is Keller vs a Revis raise? I would resign Keller for a small deal because he isn't that good. His lack of production doesn't warrant him wanting high end dollar.

#18 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Posta1elbow2.0, on 31 December 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

His lack of production doesn't warrant him wanting high end dollar.

While he won't command top dollar (and I agree that he shouldn't get top dollar because he's not a good blocking TE to go with his catching skills), I'm REALLY wondering where you get his lack of production from.

Did you miss the seasons in which he was the team's leading receiver with the exception of this year when he was injured for literally half the season?

He's got numbers similar to Rob Gronkowski when it comes to receiving with the exception of one season for Gronk. He still had 28 receptions this year with only 8 games so call it 56 if he had the full season. Last year it was 65. The year before it was 55. I'm missing the lack of production.

I don't even see him asking for high end dollar. I see him wanting a multi-year deal and saying that he honored his contract so now he doesn't want a 1 year deal under the franchise tag. He'd take likely 4-4.5 per season and be more than happy with it. The franchise tag would give him more than that.

#19 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Being the lead receiver for this team doesn't mean much. You can draft better TEs for a run focused team than paying Keller for what he would have done if he was always healthy/had a better QB/etc.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users