NYJetsFan.com Forums: Offseason Moves - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:00 PM) JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit as per Fox Sports Mike Garafalo
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:07 PM) word
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:07 PM) i wonder how much tickets could be
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:16 PM) murray bringing it to the table for 05
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:16 PM) well bringing it to his bench
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:22 PM) Unreal. My fantasy luck is awesome
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:25 PM) GIOVANI OCHO SANTOS
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:26 PM) If i win by 3 pts i'm going to get drunk with the tulane students
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:50 PM) I don't think murray comes back. That hit was pretty vicious
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) THEEE RAAAAAAIYYYYDDDAAAHSS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) Hell has frozen over
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) the Raiders have won a game against the KC Cheifs
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:51 PM) that celebration on 3rd down when they sacked alex smith was hilarious
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:51 PM) they had no clue it was 3rd down
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 12:56 PM) RAUL IS TEH TABLE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 12:57 PM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:22 PM) yeah buddy
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:23 PM) I wonder how much ticket to this jets game would be. I hope its free
Jetsfan115 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:24 PM) city of detriot needs something.
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 PM) yeah global warming
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) Any word on what channel the game will be shown outside of the NY area?
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 06:07 PM) No idea
santana Icon : (21 November 2014 - 06:07 PM) Direct tv announced they will be showing it though
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 November 2014 - 06:08 PM) I just found out it will not be shown nationally
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:23 PM) 4 TDS for THE DUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:24 PM) and 400 total yards
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:24 PM) WOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 PM) quack
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 11:04 PM) Meanwhile back at the ranch Winston almost was ejected from the game.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 12:50 AM) SUCK FOR THE DUCK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:09 AM) TEH CRYSTAL PALACE
santana Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) Lulz
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 01:38 PM) Brad Smith just took a shot
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 01:38 PM) Wow
santana Icon : (Today, 01:51 PM) saw that
santana Icon : (Today, 01:51 PM) smithsiah
santana Icon : (Today, 01:51 PM) will return
santana Icon : (Today, 01:51 PM) king of the juice
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 01:53 PM) Sanchez int at Eagles 30
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:39 PM) So yeah umm anyone know if the game is going to broadcast on national TV tomorrow?
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 06:52 PM) From what I have read it will be on in the NY and Buffalo areas as well as Ticket. That's it
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:57 PM) well that fucks everyone who is outside of the area
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) Sanchez 3 straight 300+ yards passing games
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:06 PM) I have no faith in Idzik hiring a good HC or signing/drafting good players.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Offseason Moves Repairing the Jets

#1 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Okay, so I know I don't talk on here very often, but I am willing to try to engage in a productive debate on some offseason moves. I know some people's feelings in here, so I ask you speak with facts and leave everything else out. You have something productive to add, add it. if not, I just won't respond.

So, based on if we get the 7th overall pick in the draft, this is what I would like to see to improve the Jets. (All draft selections are based on my opinion of players in the round they are projected to go in by McShay and http://www.cbssports...ctrankings/2013 so I am not randomly selecting round, I just am picking players based on their CURRENT values).

First things first. Cut/Let Go list: Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens, Matt Slauson, Rueland, Hadyn Smith, and of course Sparano and TANNY! Can't do any of this with them.

Trades (Here is where I know it will get ugly.)

1. Sanchez to ANYWHERE for a 5th: We will pay at least half his salary, but a pick is better than nothing.

2. Tebow, Green, 2013 4th rd., and 2014 conditional pick for Maurice Jones-Drew: Jones-Drew wants out, but Jags won't give up the face of their Franchise. So give them a bigger face of the Franchise, publicity-wise, in Tebow and add on a back who should be comming off of back-to-back 1k yard season (could have been 3 in a row if he played the last game a couple years ago), and some draft picks and its a fair trade. We all know Green isn't great but that's how the Jets have to sell him to the Jags FO. Jones-Drew being injured most of the season makes this possible, otherwise we would have to give a much higher pick in this years draft.

Free Agents: NONE! not none as in no one but NONE as in no one of significance. Sign a cheap depth player here of there but dont bother with Free Agency this year. Jets have done enough FA moves over the past few years to last them a decade, and none of them had the overall picture in mind. O-line depth should be the priority.

Re-sign:
Keller, Landry, Edwards.

Draft:

1st. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame: We need ILB's that can cover, and with 7 ints this season, he has proven he has great coverage ability for a LB. He is also the leader of a stout Notre Dame defense that is one of the best in the country, especially against the run(which the Jets need help desperately at stopping), including making 2 crucial goal-line stands that put them in the National Title game. He can bring leadership, youth, attitude, and coverage ability that is desperately needed in the defense.

(Trade 5th and 2nd to move up in 2nd) 2nd. Qb Aaron Murray Georgia: Expect him to move up but right now he is listed as a 2nd rounder and 4th qb overall. Also, this is not a big qb class so I don't expect many teams to try to take qbs early. Murray has done well against the speedy defenses in the SEC and has a very solid TD-INT ratio, currently 31-8. Tack on an impressive performance in the SEC championship game and it shows he can perform in big games. I personally don't see him as a great right now, but then again I did not think that Matthew Stafford would do much and he is showing some promise so I trust the Georgia Staff's ability to develop qbs. This is a chance for the Jets to do things right with a young qb.

3rd. WR Stedman Bailey WVU: Bailey is not big, 5'10" but the Jets went for big last year and look where that got them. The Jets need a playmaker and the 2nd team All-American Bailey is definately that. I have no idea how he is only projected as a 3rd rounder by multiple sources, but his playmaking ability is something the Jets DESPERATELY need. He would also provide a reliable target for Murray to grow up with. He has back to back 1,200 + yard, double digit td seasons, with over 100 grabs, 15k yards and 24 tds this season.

5th: OG Sam Brenner Utah: Brenner has only allowed 2 sack in the past 2 years and is a second team all-conference player. Brenner could greatly upgrade the pass protection at LG, a spot in desperate need of that with the mental and physical ineptitude of Slauson, which has plagued the Jets over the past couple seasons.

6th: OLB Michael Mauti Penn State: A high intensisty player that has a high motor, is decisive, and is a big hitter. He can make an immediate impact on special teams while adding much needed youth and depth to the position. He reads plays well, reacts well, and plays the game with passion and intensity. He is exactly what the Jets need and could fall to us here due to injury.

7th: TE Joseph Fauria UCLA: Fauria is a huge target at 6'7" that can help the Jets redzone woes. He is not a physical blocker but he would be the 3rd te at the start of his career anyway. He has the size to block so if the Jets can develop him, he could become an all around TE. But with little expectations out of a 7th round pick, his size, athleticism, and pass catching abilitiy, makes him a desirable target in the redzone that any qb, especially a rookie, would love. His 12 td catches this year is a testiment to how much he helps his team finish drives.

2013 Starting lineups:

Offense

QB: Aaron Murray, McElroy

Rb: Maurice Jones-Drew, Powell, McKnight

FB: Lex Hilliard

WR: Holmes, Edwards Kerely, Stedman Bailey, Hill

TE: Keller, Cumberland, Jospeh Fauria

Lt: Dbrick LG: Sam Brenner C: Mangold RG: Moore RT: Howard

Defense: Rex continues to move closer to a 4-3 base defense, even though the base defense is rarely on the field anyway, so objections to this style should take that into consideration.

LE: Mo Wilk NT: Pouha DT: Devito Re:Coples

Will: Harris Mike: Manti Te'o Sam: McIntyre

CB: Revis, Cro, Wilson, Trufant, Lankster

FS: Landry SS: Bell, Smith

Harris' lack of speed wouldn't be as much of a problem at weakside linebacker, and he would see less blockers comming at him. This way he can hopefully return to a good form with less responsibility and only the short side of the field to cover against the pass.

McIntyre continues to impress with every game and has earned a starting spot. when we go to nickle you can take out Devito and move McIntyre to a pass rushing position. Michael Mauti will be waiting in the wings as depth for whichever OLB lacks in efficency.

If this were all to happen, however unlikely it is, The defense will have so much added youth, speed, and be better against both the pass and the run. Hopefully Coples and Wilkerson continue to develop to make a pass rush, and McIntyre continues to help out in that area. The offense also is improved by adding pass-blocking at LG, while still giving the OLINE continuity and a chance to improve things, as well as adding a much needed playmaker in Stedman Bailey, adding a rushing attack with a premeire back, adding a redzone target in Joseph Fauria, and providing a qb of the future in Murray.

Murray would have a great back to handoff too, hopefully an improved line to protect him, established veterans in Edwards, Holmes, Kerley and Keller to throw to, as well as adding two targets to grow up with in the league in Bailey and Fauria.

And all this happened in one offseason, with only one big contract added (Jones-Drew) and while getting rid of several big contracts. It might not make the Jets Super bowl Champs, but it will provide a solid foundation to build upon. One or two things might be a little unrealistic, but there is always room for hope, and its hard to tell how things will pan out until the draft is set and every game has been played.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Almost forgot: The WR situation allows the Jets to at least try and develop Hill, or buy him a pair of hands.

And if the Jones-Drew Trade cant go down, Still get rid of Green, Trade tebow to the Jags for any pick you can get, and make Steven Jackson your one big splash offseason signing of the year to please Woody.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Greene is in the last year of his contract so I don't think a move like that for MJD is going to happen (wouldn't be opposed to it though if they can pull off something similar). I do think they need to get an experienced QB in there instead of trading up for another rookie project. I really do not want this team to go through these growing pains for the foreseeable future. I disagree on the approach to FA also, they really do need to spend some money this FA period on the offense. I don't want Howard going into the season as the starting RT next season. Honestly, I think they should move D'Brick to RT and sign someone like Clady to take over at LT. The mismanagement of money is gonna screw with this teams approach to signing talent for the next couple of years, but they need experienced vets on offense and they need to rely on the draft for the defense.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

If whoever the GM is can steal a 5th rounder for Sanchez while only covering half his salary, he's automatically the front runner for GM of the year.

#5 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 29 December 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Greene is in the last year of his contract so I don't think a move like that for MJD is going to happen (wouldn't be opposed to it though if they can pull off something similar). I do think they need to get an experienced QB in there instead of trading up for another rookie project. I really do not want this team to go through these growing pains for the foreseeable future. I disagree on the approach to FA also, they really do need to spend some money this FA period on the offense. I don't want Howard going into the season as the starting RT next season. Honestly, I think they should move D'Brick to RT and sign someone like Clady to take over at LT. The mismanagement of money is gonna screw with this teams approach to signing talent for the next couple of years, but they need experienced vets on offense and they need to rely on the draft for the defense.

This is not meant to sound like a jerk at all, I honestly want your input to these questions then.

Who do you want at qb?

Where are we getting the money for the FA's?

What FA's do you want to sign?

And how would that approach land us in any different position than the one we find ourselves today?
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostTebow15, on 30 December 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

This is not meant to sound like a jerk at all, I honestly want your input to these questions then.

Who do you want at qb?

Where are we getting the money for the FA's?

What FA's do you want to sign?

And how would that approach land us in any different position than the one we find ourselves today?

1. I honestly have no idea who i want at QB, but nothing is going to get done regardless unless they get another OT (and that's no knock against Howard). I would like a QB though whose feelings don't get hurt and understands business. If I remember correctly nobody here expected the Jets to trade for Brett Favre

2. It isn't like they have NO money to spend right now. We can all agree Sanchez's contract extension was asinine but they can spend some money. It isn't like FA is the only way to fix a team, but they need to get some veterans in here who know what they're doing on the offensive side of the ball

3. I don't know with all certainty what the salary cap figures look like but through FA or trade they need too look into getting players like Clady, Bowe/Wallace, MJD/Mendenhall. Additionally this team is severely lacking depth from all the trading up (which gives you players like Revis and Harris, but also gives you Kellen Clemens and Sanchez. They need some big draft classes within the next few years to fix this. Tannenbaum mismanaged money terribly and the team is going to be affected by that for the next couple of years.

4. What approach? The approach of not neglecting the offense?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Tebow15 Icon

• I <3 Stephen Hill
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 30 December 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

1. I honestly have no idea who i want at QB, but nothing is going to get done regardless unless they get another OT (and that's no knock against Howard). I would like a QB though whose feelings don't get hurt and understands business. If I remember correctly nobody here expected the Jets to trade for Brett Favre

2. It isn't like they have NO money to spend right now. We can all agree Sanchez's contract extension was asinine but they can spend some money. It isn't like FA is the only way to fix a team, but they need to get some veterans in here who know what they're doing on the offensive side of the ball

3. I don't know with all certainty what the salary cap figures look like but through FA or trade they need too look into getting players like Clady, Bowe/Wallace, MJD/Mendenhall. Additionally this team is severely lacking depth from all the trading up (which gives you players like Revis and Harris, but also gives you Kellen Clemens and Sanchez. They need some big draft classes within the next few years to fix this. Tannenbaum mismanaged money terribly and the team is going to be affected by that for the next couple of years.

4. What approach? The approach of not neglecting the offense?

To answer your question, the approach that was taken did neglect the offense, but its main approach was to buy high priced veterans at that only had a couple good years left in them, and stick them with a rookie qb and HOPE that it could all work in that two year span. Dumb.

The Jets need to rebuild. We need youth and a team that is mostly homemade. That is how the up-and-comming teams are doing it. Look at the Seahawks. They drafted or have had most of their players for years, and they make a good trade or signing here or there, see Sidney Rice and Marshawn Lynch. Look at what the Colts did. They took apart their team and built it up with young talent to grow up together and they can even win now because they have come together so well. Is that the expectation? no, its the exception. However thats a way you build a promising team, and avoid the disfunction the Jets have.

My Suggestion addressed the offense. What are the Jets major needs? Pass protection, a real running back, a playmaker, and a redzone threat. If you go back and read every single need was addressed. 4 out of the 6 selections in the draft were on offense for a reason. You add a Pro Bowl RB as one major change and you have a team that can start to rebuild and develop. We arent going to become a stable and great team in one offseason, we are way to broken for that. But if a similar plan to the one I suggested is put in place, the Jets will be on the right track to being a great team. then in the next year's draft, you build it up even more and have those rookies buy into a functional, winning culture.

Buying mercenaries doesn't work, unless you are the Yankees and you can buy everyone. But they don't have a cap and they have a culture and team enviornment that doesn't put up with what the Jets do, and has the leadership from key players to make sure it doesnt. The Jets have tried to still make it work and failed miserably, as seen this seasonThe Jets need leaders, so time to start drafting guys who grow up Jets but will be leaders, like a Jeter, Mariano, etc.

You cannot rebuild without tearing down what you have and starting over. If the Jets continue to try to fix things mostly through FA, what do you think is going to happen? There is a phrase one of my professors had that is one of the truest statements I have ever heard, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users