NYJetsFan.com Forums: Official Gm Search Thread [Edit: Jets Hire Idzik] - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:18 AM) I want a new GM and HC
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:54 AM) Should I go Vincent Jackson or Jarvis Landry as my WR3?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:13 AM) i'd go landry
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:40 AM) The opposite of what Mr Jet thinks about it.
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:19 PM) holy shit thrilling match up tonight
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:13 PM) Does it matter who wins tonight? Draft pick wise for the Jets?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:16 PM) Probably not. We probably want to draft above the Titans though if that is possible, they are a team that could use a QB. The Jaguars just drafted Blake Bortles, doubt they go first round QB 2 years in a row
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:29 PM) so titans win is best win
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) DRAFT WINSTON
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) I'm leaning towards wanting to draft Cooper or oline with the first pick. have a good line and or relceiver core and try and sign Bradford or trade for Cutler to play QB. And have Geno as back up for us.
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) Not sure if Winston can be a franchise QB. Even Mariota has question marks.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 PM) That is why we need to draft Cooper at WR and then later in the draft go and get Petty
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:44 PM) clipboard jesus lead the way
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:48 PM) I miss leon
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:35 PM) If the Jets would have lost last week since the Jags won the Jets would have the 2 seed right now and not stuck at the 6 seed
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:36 PM) Oh well
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 11:21 AM) I think IK shows potential as a pass rusher
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 12:50 PM) If the new HC goes to a 4-3 it will be interesting to see if Couples can play on the end.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) he's probably better as a 4-3 DE then a 3-4 LBer anyway
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) we'd need another DT though
santana Icon : (Today, 02:12 PM) Rex to atlanta rumors swirling about
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 03:35 PM) Who should be my 2 starters at WR for my fantasy. Championship game. It's between AJ Green, Djax, and Mike Evans. I have Hilton too but I think colts will sit him this week
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 03:36 PM) I'm thinking Djax and Evans. I don't think the match up with green vs Denver
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 03:37 PM) I have Ingram, Lamar Miller, and Lacy as my RBs and flex
santana Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) green and desean pretty much the same risk reward
santana Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) lock evans in and play the matchup for the other spot
santana Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) also might snow in denver mnf i would keep an eye on that
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 04:48 PM) Good thinkin! I think I'm going to play djax. I like the match up better
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Official Gm Search Thread [Edit: Jets Hire Idzik]

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

@AdamSchefter
Jets and Jaguars have asked permission from San Francisco to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM jobs.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hereís the list broken down by the ones most likely to get jobs for 2013 and executives likely to get strong consideration in the future:

Tom Gamble/San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I donít recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as Iíve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that heís about as well-rounded of a candidate as youíll find.

And when you examine Gambleís background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ersóand very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

ďHeís got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,Ē Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. ďThis is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team. Youíre at a big disadvantage if you donít have this experience in dealing with everything. Thatís why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, heís going to be more prepared than most. Thatís a huge advantage.Ē

And itís that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

Eric DeCosta/Baltimore Ravens/Assistant General Manager: The veteran personnel evaluator received his latest promotion in May of this year. DeCosta turned down several interviews with other teams earlier this year because itís a well-known fact that heíll eventually take over the entire football operations once (GM and Executive VP) Ozzie Newsome retires. What makes DeCosta one of the strongest personnel executives is due to his extensive pro and college scouting background, which spans over 16 years. And he has worked alongside of Newsome for many seasons. It also doesnít hurt that DeCosta has been part of one of the NFLís most successful scouting departments in regard to the NFL Draft for many years.

Marc Ross/New York Giants/Director of College Scouting: Ross joined the Giants in his current role in 2007. He got started as a college scout back in 1997 with the Philadelphia Eagles and was promoted to teamís college scouting director in 2000, at the age of just 27. And after working as a college scout for the Buffalo Bills after leaving the Eagles, he moved up the ladder again with the Giants. As one former NFL executive who worked with him for many years told me, Ross is one of the most organized and forthright people heís come across in his years in the league. Ross, over the past few years, has interviewed GM jobs with the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, and Seattle Seahawks. And itís widely believed that heíll get an interview for the vacant Carolina Panthers GM opening since former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi is advising the team in their GM search as a consultant. UPDATE 12/21: Multiple personnel executives said that Ross is Accorsiís early choice for the job opening. However, Accorsi was still gathering information on other possible candidates for the team to interview, along with Ross, after the season concludes.

Steve Keim/Arizona Cardinals/Vice President of Player Personnel: Keim, who started with the Cardinals in 1999, was promoted to his current role earlier this year after the NFL Draft. He essentially oversees both of the pro and college scouting departments. And Keim, who mostly had scouting experience for several years on the college side, got more involved on the pro side five years ago. One high-level NFC executive with another team said that he expects Keim to get a GM job over the next few years based on his extensive experience in player evaluations. Itís worth noting that Keim interviewed for the Rams GM job earlier this year.

David Caldwell/Director of Player Personnel/Atlanta Falcons: Caldwell, who was promoted to his new role earlier this year where he will oversee the college and pro scouting departments, also interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts GM job earlier this year, which eventually went to Ryan Grigson. While most if not all of his scouting experience came from the college side prior to this season, Caldwellís name has been brought up to me on several occasions over the past few year as one of the top GM candidates based on his outstanding eye for talent and solid organizational skills. In fact, one current NFL GM said he would put him in the top-5 of best candidates available.

John Dorsey/Director of Football Operations/Green Bay Packers: UPDATE 12/21: One personnel source suggested to me recently that thereís no question that Dorsey is one of the most highly qualified executives not to currently have the GM title attached to his name.

After doing some background checking on Dorsey, thatís pretty much an accurate statement.

The former linebacker for the Packers for six seasons, Dorsey moved to the college scouting side for seven seasons after his playing career was cut short due to injury. He then became the teamís director of college scouting for 15 seasons (left to handle player personnel for the Seattle Seahawks for two seasons, but then returned to the Packers) and was promoted to his current role earlier this season.

While Dorseyís scouting experience mostly comes from the college side, he still has had exposure to the pro side in recent years. And he has been exposed to contract negotiations over the years, according to a source.

George Paton/Assistant General Manager/Minnesota Vikings: Paton was promoted to his current role earlier this year after receiving strong interest from the St. Louis Rams for their vacant GM job, which eventually went to Les Snead. While most of his scouting experience is from the pro side, heíll get additional experience on the college going forward based on his new role, which firmly cements him as the No.2 man in the teamís personnel department.

Jason Licht/Arizona Cardinals/Director of Player Personnel: Licht is a rarity these days: He has extensive scouting experience on the pro and college levels from working with five teams over a 12-year period. Plus, he has coaching experience on the NFL level (1996 for the Dolphins as an offensive assistant/quality control coach) albeit brief. Licht also interviewed for the Chicago Bears GM job earlier this year, which eventually went to Phil Emery. In fact, Licht was the runner-up for the job.

Others who have been mentioned as possible GMs for future seasons

Brian Gaine/Miami Dolphins/Assistant General Manager: Gaine, now in his 15th year in the NFL and fifth with the Dolphins, was promoted to his current role with the team back in June of this year. While his scouting background mainly has come from the pro side (previously with the Jets and Cowboys), the veteran personnel evaluator ramped up his evaluations of college players in recent years based on his recent promotions. His name has come up a bit in conversations over the last few years with various NFL executives as a future GM. And he interviewed for the Rams GM job earlier this year.

Tom Telesco/Indianapolis Colts/Vice President of Football Operations: He was promoted to his current role earlier this year and has spent 14 years with the Colts, which puts him second in command in the personnel department. And Telesco has extensive pro and college scouting experience going back nearly 17 years. One personnel source who worked with him in the past said he could definitely see Telesco becoming a GM in the future based in his solid scouting and organizational skills.

Doug Whaley/Buffalo Bills/Assistant General Manager+Director of Pro Personnel: Because of his dual role he received when he joined the Bills in 2010, Whaley is basically second in command on the personnel side for the Bills. And he has plenty of experience with pro and college scouting (with the Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Seattle Seahawks), which is a major plus for any prospective general manager candidate. While itís assumed that heíll eventually replace GM Buddy Nix when Nix decides to retire, it still wouldnít be surprising to see other teams show interest in Whaley going forward.

Tag Ribary/Seattle Seahawks/Director of Pro Personnel: Ribary was promoted to his current role two years after working with the Seahawks in various capacities on the pro scouting side. He also had pro scouting experience with the Washington Redskins and Carolina Panthers. While he doesnít have extensive college scouting background that some other candidates have, Ribaryís long tenure spanning over two decades in the NFL makes him a well-known and qualified candidate.

Chris Ballard/Director of Pro Scouting/Chicago Bears: One other NFC team, according to a source, wanted to interview him for a personnel job earlier this year, but the Bears denied that team permission to talk to him, which shows how highly the Bears think of him. And Ballard, who had college coaching experience for many years before joining the Bears 12 years ago, got promoted to his current role back in June. Prior to his promotion, Ballard worked as a college scout, but he oversees the pro scouting side these days, so he now has exposure to all facets of NFL scouting.

Matt Russell/Denver Broncos/Director of Player Personnel: The veteran talent evaluator has 12 years of extensive scouting work with the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and Broncos. And Russell has widely been given credit for discovering QB Matt Cassel back during his time with the Patriots. Russellís scouting background was on the college side prior to this season, but his latest promotion from earlier this year should help him get a stronger handle on the pro side.

Scott Cohen/Assistant General Manager/New York Jets: The veteran personnel evaluator began his 21st season in the NFL earlier this year. Cohen has extensive pro and college scouting experience over his 20+ seasons in the league with the Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Washington Redskins. His experience from scouting pro and college levels as well as being exposed to contract negotiations over the years should help him garner attention from teams looking for a general manager going forward.

Alonzo Highsmith/Senior Personnel Executive/Green Bay Packers: The former NFL running back joined the Packers as a college scout in 1999. He was targeted at least twice by other teams in recent years for upper level management jobs (non-GM role), but the Packers blocked him from interviewing, which is obviously an indication how strongly they want to keep him. And the Packers, recognizing his solid player evaluation skills, promoted him to his current role earlier this year. Highsmith, who has been largely recognized for discovering CB Tramon Williams, won a scouting award in recent years

http://www.thesideli...eneral-managers
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

@KimJonesSports
Have learned: The Jets have asked for permission from Giants to interview NYG director of college scouting Marc Ross for their GM job.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

@caplannfl
Gamble is from Philly area. People close to him think that would be a good fit. RT @ozmanyyy: @caplannfl Thoughts on who becomes Jets GM?

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

@NickSpano
According to @JayGlazer the #Jets have asked the #Falcons to interview Their Personnel Director Dave Caldwell for the GM job.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

‏@BrianCoz
Jets will interview an in-house candidate for the GM job - asst. GM Scott Cohen, according to a source. #nyj

No to Cohen!
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

@JasonLaCanfora
Add former Browns GM Tom Heckert to the names being pursued for Jets GM job. Caldwell, Ross, Gamble also in mix

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

‏@AlbertBreer
Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY.

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

This Gamble guy's resume looks impressive.

From his bio on the 49ers website:

During his time in the NFL, Gamble has helped build nine playoff teams – five with Indianapolis and four with Philadelphia. Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as a college scout for the Colts from 1998 to 2004 under veteran NFL executive Bill Polian.

Some of the players (other than Peyton Manning) drafted by the Colts between 1998-2004:

Edgerrin James
Reggie Wayne
Dwight Freeney
Dallas Clark
Bob Sanders
Antoine Bethea (in the 6th round)
Cato June (in the 6th round)

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#10 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

‏@AlbertBreer
One thing I mentioned on the FAN this AM too is Bill Polian playing some "kingmaker" out there ... Jets are listening to him on Tom Gamble.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

@AlbertBreer
Speaking of that ... 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble will interview with the Jets this weekend, as New York kicks things off.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

‏@JasonLaCanfora
Packers exec John Dorsey interviewing with Jets this weekend and has strong shot to get GM job with Andy Reid in KC

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Five teams are currently looking for General Managers. Five days after the 2012 regular season ended, a loose sense is emerging as to how things will fall together.

Hereís the quick summary, as itís currently making the rounds in league circles.

1. The Jets are expected to hire 49ers exec Tom Gamble (pictured).

2. The Jaguars are expected to hire Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell.

3. The Chiefs are expected to hire Packers director of operations John Dorsey.

4. The Cardinals are expected to promote Steve Keim.

5. The Panthers are believed to be leaning toward Giants executive Dave Gettleman.

None of these moves are, you know, 95-percent certain. Itís simply where it all is leaning.

http://profootballta...t-falling-soon/
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

BrianCoz: Tom Heckert has canceled his interview with the Jets #NYJ

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

‏@BobGlauber
Confirmed Tom Heckert has canceled scheduled interview for Jets' GM job. Big concerns about bloated cap. No issue with having Rex as coach.

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Could care less about Heckert. And salary cap situation clears itself up after 2013. He's going to KC with Reid. I want Dorsey or Gamble here and the sooner the better. I can't wait until the cleansing process begins because this shit show needs some major scrubbing.

#17 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

‏@AdamSchefter
49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble turned down chance for 2nd interview w/ Jaguars to concentrate on trying to land Jets GM job.

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

‏@Brian_Bassett
BREAKING: Source w/ knowledge of #Jets contracts tells TJB Jets have essentially "cemented" deal w/ Tom Gamble. Deal likely to run 3-4 yrs.

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Can't officially hire him until they interview a minority candidate (Marc Ross)

‏@RichCimini
Giants dir of college scouting Marc Ross gets his interview Monday, per NY Post. Minority candidate. #Rooneyrule #Jets

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   bluelinecop Icon

• 04 L.F. Award/05 Best Mod Award/06 Best Sig Award
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Finally some good news.
Fifteen years ago after an especially disappointing loss to Miami, Esiason, then the Jets' quarterback, was making the seven-mile drive from the Meadowlands back to Manhattan.
While he was slogging through stop-and-go traffic at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, the car next to him was violently rear-ended. The quarterback threw his car into park, hopped out and ran to the woman whose car had been hit. She was wearing, of all things, an Esiason jersey, and was utterly shocked when he tapped on her window to check on her.
"Are you OK?" he said, trying to keep calm. "Are you OK?"
"Boomer? Is that you?" she asked the Good Samaritan, sounding disoriented. "I think I'm OK, but . ... "
But what?
"But you guys sucked."
Welcome to the New York Jets, Tim Tebow.

http://modernworldphotography.com/
http://fineartameric...dos-santos.html

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users