NYJetsFan.com Forums: Jets And Michael Vick? Run Away! - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

azjetfan Icon : (10 July 2014 - 12:42 PM) Fire Idzik!
santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:29 AM) titties
santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM) http://i.imgur.com/mn7uxIi.jpg
santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM) need to get that suarez jersey
santana Icon : (11 July 2014 - 11:30 AM) streets is real
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 July 2014 - 08:25 PM) FIRE SANTANA
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 July 2014 - 08:25 PM) He's the reason we have nothing to talk about
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 09:40 AM) Plenty to talk about I'm sure
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 09:40 AM) You guys just suck at it
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM) http://fc04.devianta...a8d-d67yh5n.jpg
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM) Talk about that.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:36 PM) THE BEETS!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 July 2014 - 02:38 PM) Ah eeh ooh, Killer tofu. (Eeyae.)
Oooh eeh ooh, Killer tofu!
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 04:14 PM) bravo
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) I saw on my Facebook newsfeed that Hey Dude was going to be on 90s Nick tonight.
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) http://www.reddit.co...n_how_about_an/
santana Icon : (14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM) David Nelson back on reddit answering questions
blk_orion Icon : (15 July 2014 - 10:22 AM) thanks for that nelson info, my fam originate from Haiti, have fam here doing tons of missions from NY and FL.
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:44 AM) yeah he seems like a very honest person
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) if it wasn't for that injury he suffered in buffalo he would be much more recognized
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) top lad solid pro tough as hell
Mr_Jet Icon : (15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM) http://media-cache-a...0fa7d5eef52.jpg
santana Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:11 AM) TITTIES
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:37 AM) ^I 2nd that
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 July 2014 - 08:54 PM) ***crickets***
RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Jets And Michael Vick? Run Away! By Johnette Howard

#1 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Jets and Michael Vick? Run away!<br style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;">By Johnette Howard
ESPNNewYork.com

It doesn't seem to matter that the New York Jets have tried the celebrity quarterback route twice before with Brett Favre and Tim Tebow and it blew up with one-and-done seasons both times. The Jets scare you most at times like this.

When they're down on their luck, when they're looking for a quick fix, when owner Woody Johnson can feel the business side of the operation slipping just as sharply as the on-field product, they usually go for the big splashy move like -- no, no, no! -- signing Michael Vick, the splashiest name who's expected to be available this offseason.

Every one of those tendencies was worth pondering Wednesday as the Jets' latest circus -- Day 3 of Rex Ryan's Mouth Held Hostage -- played out. Ryan is still the only NFL head coach among the 25 who are still employed who has not held a press conference since the season ended Sunday because of what was termed an "organizational decision."

But who could've imagined there was another reason that Ryan and Johnson won't meet the press until January 8th -- Rex is away on vacation, reportedly at a swanky resort in the Bahamas, where he can swim with dolphins and hug sea lions while, you know, the rest of the league's teams are hustling to fix themselves and line up the best staffs possible.

Especially the losing teams. Like his.

It was a typically unique Rex response to a typically dysfunctional new twist in his petulant tenure. And what's the logic? That Jets fans will forget how hacked off they are? That maybe a little R&R or conch chowder will help Ryan forget the mess he's now mired in?

The GM that hired him (Mike Tannenbaum) just got fired. The quarterback they drafted together (Mark Sanchez) has cratered. Ryan now has one year to save his job while working for a headline-loving owner who is running out of patience with him, and a GM that he hasn't even met yet.

And for Ryan, saving himself starts with having to fix the offense -- the facet of the team he still knows least about, while relying on his third offensive coordinator in three years.

The Jets scare you at times like this, all right.

Vick will be this year's equivalent of Favre and Tebow when he shakes loose from the Eagles by early February, before they're due to pay him $3 million of the $17.5 million he's scheduled to earn next season. And while there is always the chance the Eagles will hire Oregon's Chip Kelly to replace Andy Reid and Vick will somehow get to stay, Vick himself is already talking like a goner. And he and the Jets were already doing a little backchannel speed dating the past couple weeks before the regular season ended Sunday.

Ryan laughed uncomfortably just before Christmas when he was asked for his appraisal of Vick, saying only, "I'll just focus on the players we have on this roster instead of somebody else's players." But it's hard to forget how Ryan raved about Vick late in the 2011 season after Vick led the Eagles to a 45-19 rout of the Jets. "He's a complete quarterback now," Ryan said.

When Vick was told those quotes immediately after the game, he said, "That's an awesome compliment coming from a coach that I really have a lot of respect for."

So it's not surprising word has floated up just in the past week from someone "close to Vick" that Vick would consider the Jets if he was assured of starting and paid more than Sanchez. Or that Vick himself has spoken a lot about what he'll be looking for in a new team, as if he believes that turning 33 in June, committing 32 turnovers in his past two seasons and a 10-12 record as a starter over the same span, all while failing to stay healthy, nonetheless gives him the sort of leverage to still make such demands.

Perhaps that will fly with Oakland or Jacksonville or Arizona, which are also desperately looking for franchise quarterbacks. But it shouldn't with the Jets.

The Jets are more than $25 million over the salary cap, they're bereft of extra draft picks, and they're staring at a rebuilding job that will stretch from the roster to the coaching staff to the scouting department. What they need is a thoughtful, comprehensive re-do, not a quick jolt of attention that yet another flawed celeb quarterback would bring.

They should run from Vick, not toward him.

Given the hot seat Ryan is on, you have to hope the Jets' new GM will be the voice of reason.

While Vick has a bigger reputation than Sanchez, did you know their production the past two seasons isn't significantly distinguishable? Sanchez averaged 1.58 turnovers a game to Vick's 1.34; Sanchez completed 55.6 percent of his passes the past two seasons to Vick's 59.0; and Sanchez's winning percentage the past two years (.437, or 14-18 in his last 32 starts) is actually higher than Vick's (.313 in his last 22 starts)?

Granted, Vick had a bad offensive line in front of him, but he usually had a better running back/receiver combo to work with than Sanchez did, and Reid is considered a far better offensive mind than anyone the Jets had in-house.

Long story short: Sanchez isn't the athlete or talent that Vick is, but they're both overpaid underachievers.

Unlike Sanchez, Vick also has a worrisome injury and concussion history building. Vick suffered the second known concussion of his career against Dallas in mid-November, which Reid termed "pretty significant." Vick wasn't cleared to play for a month. He didn't get into another game for six weeks, until his replacement, Nick Foles, broke his hand and Reid turned to Vick in the Eagles' season finale, a 42-7 whitewashing against the Giants.

Afterward, Vick ripped his teammates for a lack of effort.

(The Jets have had enough of those guys recently, too.)

All of that should be enough to scare off the Jets. But, as usual, it hasn't.

You know Rex.

He has one season to save his job, and he has a tendency to see blue skies where everyone else sees storm clouds. He thinks he can coach up players who other coaches have failed with. He's on record declaring Vick a "complete quarterback" when even Vick himself said just last week, that it's only been in the past two years -- his ninth and 10th in the league -- that "I just feel like I have made so many strides as far as learning the defensive part of the game and kind of piecing it together with the offense& I've kind of gotten better in the protection game and learning defensive schemes."

Not good.

And yet, just before Christmas an unnamed Jets source told the New York Daily News that Ryan's reaction to Vick would be, "Bring it on [Rex] loves Vick."

Of course he does.

With Ryan's and Woody Johnson's Jets, it's always been boom or bust, splash and thrash, pull the trigger and assess the collateral damage that could result only later.

The Jets shouldn't want another retread celebrity quarterback like Vick.

And yet, instead of saying no, no, no, Ryan still seems willing to say, "I do.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

#2 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

For now this is all wide speculation that I don't buy. A quote from Rex after a game against the Eagles last season - who at the time were still in the playoff hunt - and another more recent one from one of the team's countless anonymous sources does not equal interest in Vick.

With the dysfunction surrounding the team recently it would be a Jets-type move. But I can't see our new GM - who will hopefully have more authority over personnel matter when their identity is revealed - making such a move knowing the ridicule his predecessor received for acquiring another notorious (for different seasons to Vick) QB in Tebow.

#3 User is offline   jet-man Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

more garbage from the media.

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I don't understand how the media is saying "oh the Jets are interested in him and him" when they haven't even hired a GM yet, so really everything is pointless until they have a new GM in place who will make that decision.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

This mother fucker gets paid to write this crap...he has a degree saying he is well qualified to be writing this crap. Mother f***...give me that job. Holy shit I can make up crap and spit on people who work ten times harder than me!!! Easy.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users