NYJetsFan.com Forums: Matt Flynn Available? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

OFF SEASON ALMOST OVER AUG 13 VS LIONS
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (09 June 2015 - 08:52 PM) TEH METS
azjetfan Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:09 PM) You know what the Jets are due for?
azjetfan Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:09 PM) A good firing
azjetfan Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:09 PM) Fire Geno!
Mr_Jet Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:20 PM) Yes I highly recommend anybody looking to get into House of Cards to take a weekend to binge watch at least the first 2 seasons.
azjetfan Icon : (09 June 2015 - 09:29 PM) I agree mr jet. The third was a little disappointing
azjetfan Icon : (10 June 2015 - 04:34 PM) Boss is what is what I am watching now. Not as good as house of cards but entertaining
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 03:53 PM) Eagles release absent Pro Bowl guard Mathis
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 03:54 PM) get it done big mac. instant upgrade at Guard for us
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:36 PM) 33 years old.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:36 PM) Im not against it but it would have to be a short term deal
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:37 PM) rumor has it he wanted a raise over his $5.5 million base this year
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:39 PM) 33 is young for a guard. he's got at least 3-4 more years in him
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) Mmmmm I disagree.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) I would go 2 year deal.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:41 PM) Maybe longer if we could get out of it after 2
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 11:36 AM) backloaded 4 year deal ca cut after 2 years wit minimum cap hit
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 02:22 PM) Jets sign free agent OT Charlles Brown
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:48 PM) We won't be able to backload it. He won't accept the offer. Keep in mind he requested he release because they couldn't come to an agreement on a raise.
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:49 PM) He is probably looking for $7 million or more per year.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 09:44 AM) he was only making 5.5 million this year. we can give him 10 mil signing bonus onf a 5 year deal and a low base salary (like 3 mil a year) it'll average out to 5 mil a year, but he'll get 13 million this year (more then double) and will cost 5 mil a year against the cap for the rest of the deal
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Any news on Mathis at all? Haven't heard anything since his release.
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Also, Sam Baker was cut today as well
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 04:52 PM) Titans releasing RB Shonn Greene
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 June 2015 - 10:40 PM) TEH WARRIORS
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 11:08 PM) This trophy ceremony awkward as fuck I had to turn it off
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:02 PM) It really was. It was more Doris Burke interviewing the Warriors than it was a trophy ceremony. Plus Adam Silver forgot to hand the Warriors owner the trophy after he was done talking to the crowd.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:03 PM) R.I.P. Stuart Scott
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE SILVER
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE BURKE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 June 2015 - 06:27 PM) THE A-ROD!!
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:19 PM) god damn week no activity in here
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:20 PM) might have to chop this table up into fire wood
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:26 PM) FIRE WOOD!
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:54 PM) Kristaps Porzingis???
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:55 PM) You'd think Isiah Thomas was still running the Knicks last night.
santana Icon : (27 June 2015 - 07:30 PM) Lol yeah no clue about those names
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) Is there any chance that Porzingis ends up being good?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) I'm guessing he won't be the next Pau Gasol or Dirk Nowviski
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:41 AM) You never know, he could be as good as Gasol brothers or Dirk. Honestly the Knicks picking at #4 did the same thing the 3 teams picking ahead of them did. Picked a 19 year who could go boom or bust.
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:45 AM) Porzingis seems to have the "I'm going to prove them wrong" type of attitude needed to overcome people's doubts about him. Hopefully he'll have the work ethic that goes along with that attitude.
azjetfan Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM) In other news I decided to shave the dome. Since the hair was falling out anyway I figured I would show it who's boss
santana Icon : (29 June 2015 - 01:11 PM) Deisel up shave the dome
Mr_Jet Icon : (29 June 2015 - 04:49 PM) Welcome home.
azjetfan Icon : (29 June 2015 - 08:59 PM) I feel fast.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Matt Flynn Available?

#1 User is offline   The Reverend Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,190
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

http://m.nfl.com/new...ith-matt-flynn/

What do you guys think?
Sal Paolantonio commenting on the difference in the Ryan and Mangini atmospheres in the building:
"It's like going from Alcatraz to Dorney Park."

It is better to destroy than create what is meaningless, so the picture will not be finished.
erikcoleman#26
0

#2 User is offline   wichitacommish Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 204
  • Joined: 01-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Heart of the Heartland
  • Interests:My Kids.
    The Jets.
    Fantasy Football.

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostThe Reverend, on 16 January 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:



No. He couldn't beat a rookie in Seattle that got the job cuz he can run the read-option. No thanks. No to Alex Smith as well. No to trading for anyone. Lets go with what we got and draft someone.
0

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,116
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postwichitacommish, on 16 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

No. He couldn't beat a rookie in Seattle that got the job cuz he can run the read-option. No thanks. No to Alex Smith as well. No to trading for anyone. Lets go with what we got and draft someone.



You say that like its a bad thing. Russell Wilson is a flat out stud.


64%, 3,118 yards, 7.93 YPA, 26 TD 10 INT, 100 QB rating. 489 yards rushing, 4 TD.

That isn't your typical rookie.


I would take a look at anyone other than Sanchez.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,150
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Flynn or Wilson would not have done much better than Sanchez this year with the lack of Talent we have. Flynn is a gamble. We are not in a position to gamble right now.
Posted Image
0

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,116
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Flynn or Wilson would not have done much better than Sanchez this year with the lack of Talent we have. Flynn is a gamble. We are not in a position to gamble right now.



They may have, Sanchez is terrible.
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,150
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 16 January 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

They may have, Sanchez is terrible.

"Might have" is a gamble. Sanchez might have done better if we had BE or Holmes all year. Why gamble.
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   extmenace Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,646
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tallahassee / Sarasota, FL

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I'd give up a 4th or a 5th for Flynn. He's shown some flashes and I'd like his potential over another qb drafted with a 4th or 5th rd pick in this years draft. Not sure what his salary looks like but if its manageable, I'm down. At least we know we'd finally have a qb on our roster that could beat out the "sanchize."

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady


17 POINTS!
0

#8 User is offline   reg83ny Icon

  • TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 4,581
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beantown...I missed NY

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Sanchez 2.0
0

#9 User is offline   chocomag Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 195
  • Joined: 11-September 05

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

View Postextmenace, on 16 January 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I'd give up a 4th or a 5th for Flynn. He's shown some flashes and I'd like his potential over another qb drafted with a 4th or 5th rd pick in this years draft. Not sure what his salary looks like but if its manageable, I'm down. At least we know we'd finally have a qb on our roster that could beat out the "sanchize."

And when we once again give up draft choices do we get him for free? We already have a cap situation and with Sanchez taking up $8,250,000, the addition of Flynn would add another $5,000,000 at least to the QB position. Makes no sense. Stay with what we have in McElroy and draft a QB later on and live with it until we can get rid of Sanchez in 2014
0

#10 User is offline   extmenace Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,646
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tallahassee / Sarasota, FL

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

View Postchocomag, on 16 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

And when we once again give up draft choices do we get him for free? We already have a cap situation and with Sanchez taking up $8,250,000, the addition of Flynn would add another $5,000,000 at least to the QB position. Makes no sense. Stay with what we have in McElroy and draft a QB later on and live with it until we can get rid of Sanchez in 2014


Read what I wrote. I said if his cap number was manageable. Flynn is still young. We need a qb. Makes sense as far as needs go.

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady


17 POINTS!
0

#11 User is offline   chocomag Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 195
  • Joined: 11-September 05

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

View Postextmenace, on 17 January 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Read what I wrote. I said if his cap number was manageable. Flynn is still young. We need a qb. Makes sense as far as needs go.

The problem is that decisions like that aren't black or white. Could we fit him under the cap if that was our main goal? Sure. I could think the cap is manageable by not resigning any of our free agents and starting rookies or sub par players at both safeties, RG, Ducasse at LG (God forbid), etc. You could think it not worth it for a QB that really is unproven. If not for that one amazing game would any of us really think about Flynn?

We know we have money issues. Getting under the cap is easy. That just requires cutting people. Replacing them and there are many is the problem. Mortgaging the farm for Peyton is one thing. But for an unproven player like Flynn when we have Sanchez like a dead weight on our back is quite another.

And don't forget, he comes with the loss of draft choices.
0

#12 User is offline   extmenace Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,646
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tallahassee / Sarasota, FL

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postchocomag, on 17 January 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

The problem is that decisions like that aren't black or white. Could we fit him under the cap if that was our main goal? Sure. I could think the cap is manageable by not resigning any of our free agents and starting rookies or sub par players at both safeties, RG, Ducasse at LG (God forbid), etc. You could think it not worth it for a QB that really is unproven. If not for that one amazing game would any of us really think about Flynn?

We know we have money issues. Getting under the cap is easy. That just requires cutting people. Replacing them and there are many is the problem. Mortgaging the farm for Peyton is one thing. But for an unproven player like Flynn when we have Sanchez like a dead weight on our back is quite another.

And don't forget, he comes with the loss of draft choices.


It is almost certain that next year will be the last season we'll ever have to see sanchez wearing a jets uniform. The organization knows its going to be in the market for a QB. While flynn is an unproven commodity, he has shown some flashes. Do I think he would be the answer? Honestly, No. I do not think so but I am just saying that this team needs a QB. Might as well take a risk in a year that will more than likely be a bad year anyways. This years QB draft class is one of the worst in years...the jets will need to bring in someone via free agency or trade because there isn't a scenario where they will let sanchez play any more than the first 2 or 3 games of the season playing like he did this year (He'll be lucky to get that). Regardless, Trading for a guy like flynn, while unproven, isn't exactly mortgaging the future. The guy has 2 years left on his contract. It's not like he is in his 2nd year of a 6 year, 40 mill guaranteed contract. Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, Hasselbeck, Kyle Orton, Matt Flynn. Those are going to be your 5 best options as far as adding a veteran QB goes heading into next offseason. You know what you have in the other 4, flynn is still a bit of an unknown. None of the other guys mentioned will stick around long term, flynn still has that unknown factor. I'd rather bring in a guy where there is some potential, rather than bringing in a guy we know for certian we'll have to replace. As you can see in todays NFL...the QB position is the most important position in the NFL. If you have a good QB, you have a competitive team. If the price is right,take the risk and bring him in.

"I'm glad that the Gillette field was soft and messy
since I spent so much time down on it."-Tom Brady


17 POINTS!
0

#13 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

View Postextmenace, on 16 January 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I'd give up a 4th or a 5th for Flynn. He's shown some flashes and I'd like his potential


What flashes? He's played ONE MEANINGLESS GAME IN HIS NFL CAREER AGAINST AN OPPONENT THAT QUIT ON THE SEASON! Flynn is a huge unknown. It's the same as trading for a guy after a big game in the preseason. For all we know, he's another Brett Ratliff. HELL NO TO FLYNN.
0

#14 User is offline   chocomag Icon

  • Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 195
  • Joined: 11-September 05

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postextmenace, on 17 January 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

It is almost certain that next year will be the last season we'll ever have to see sanchez wearing a jets uniform. The organization knows its going to be in the market for a QB. While flynn is an unproven commodity, he has shown some flashes. Do I think he would be the answer? Honestly, No. I do not think so but I am just saying that this team needs a QB. Might as well take a risk in a year that will more than likely be a bad year anyways. This years QB draft class is one of the worst in years...the jets will need to bring in someone via free agency or trade because there isn't a scenario where they will let sanchez play any more than the first 2 or 3 games of the season playing like he did this year (He'll be lucky to get that). Regardless, Trading for a guy like flynn, while unproven, isn't exactly mortgaging the future. The guy has 2 years left on his contract. It's not like he is in his 2nd year of a 6 year, 40 mill guaranteed contract. Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, Hasselbeck, Kyle Orton, Matt Flynn. Those are going to be your 5 best options as far as adding a veteran QB goes heading into next offseason. You know what you have in the other 4, flynn is still a bit of an unknown. None of the other guys mentioned will stick around long term, flynn still has that unknown factor. I'd rather bring in a guy where there is some potential, rather than bringing in a guy we know for certian we'll have to replace. As you can see in todays NFL...the QB position is the most important position in the NFL. If you have a good QB, you have a competitive team. If the price is right,take the risk and bring him in.

I hear you about Flynn as compared to the others you mentioned. I also agree given that mix I would go after him as well. Where we have a bit of a disconnect is that we would have to pay this man $5 million and give up draft choice(s). Since he is unproven, why not take a rookie in the second round (or third) and spend next to nothing and give up no draft choices? Personally, I would love to see us draft EJ Manuel from Fla ST. Not sure if we could get him in the 3rd but very possible. Almost definitely in the 2nd round and maybe even trade down and pick up an extra pick. Smith, Glennon, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib and the kid from Miami Ohio will all go ahead of him - probably. But this kid may be another Russell Wilson. Love his accuracy, foot speed and elusiveness and he seems to throw hard.
0

#15 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,279
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

While I'd consider a move for Flynn, I'd much rather go for a veteran free agent with starting experience like Matt Moore, largely because we won't have to give up draft picks to get him. Whoever our new GM is, I hope they value mid-round selections more than Tannenbaum did in order to add the depth this team needs.
Flynn's deal was just under $20 million (with $10 million) for 3 years. There's certainly no guarantee he'd be the answer to our QB riddle and that's a relatively hefty deal to take on. Factor that in, along with say a 4th or 5th rounder and is it really worth it, especially considering you could get a reasonable QB stopgap without having to sacrifice a draftable player, whoever that may be?
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users