NYJetsFan.com Forums: The Mornhinweg System - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

New York Jets owner, Woody Johnson, named US ambassador to the UK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (01 January 2017 - 03:39 PM) wooooo5-11
MikeGangGree... Icon : (01 January 2017 - 04:00 PM) J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (01 January 2017 - 05:56 PM) OK so Bill O brien and Sean Payton might get fired according to Fox this morning
MikeGangGree... Icon : (01 January 2017 - 05:56 PM) I would do anything to get one of them as OC
santana Icon : (02 January 2017 - 02:19 PM) texans coach? i doubt he gets fired
santana Icon : (02 January 2017 - 02:19 PM) but he would be ideal if the jets were to flush bowles out
santana Icon : (02 January 2017 - 04:36 PM) http://www.nj.com/je...trol_of_je.html
azjetfan Icon : (05 January 2017 - 09:54 PM) Sean Payton will get another HC gig. Obrien would be good.
azjetfan Icon : (09 January 2017 - 11:18 PM) Howard from Alabama seems legit. #88 TE
azjetfan Icon : (09 January 2017 - 11:20 PM) Williams the WR from Clemson looks like they are out to get him. He has taken some huge hits
vjdbbq Icon : (10 January 2017 - 07:12 AM) We'll take Williams in the first round .
Chadforpresi... Icon : (10 January 2017 - 10:48 AM) I'd love Howard in the 2nd round if he's still there. I like Williams a lot as well, but I just don't see WR being big enough of a need, and there should be better talent on the board at 6
Jetsfan115 Icon : (10 January 2017 - 07:21 PM) Raiders OC Musgrave not expected to return to OAK. what do you think about getting him? he did wonders with the oakland offense this year
Chadforpresi... Icon : (10 January 2017 - 07:39 PM) Definitely an appealing choice given with his history of progressing Carr. We need someone with a track record of grooming young QBs
MikeGangGree... Icon : (12 January 2017 - 12:36 PM) I want Watson now! after what he did Monday night I'm sold on him at QB. He moved the ball all night on Alabama and after hurts scored that TD he just told his team "Lets end this"
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 January 2017 - 06:31 PM) An Ohio prosecutor says he wants to know what punishment Cincinnati Bengals player Adam "Pacman" Jones faces from the NFL before deciding how to proceed over Jones' latest arrest, Dan Sewell of the Associated Press reports..

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters tells WKRC-TV he's asking "what is the normal" for a player with multiple offenses and who's been suspended before.

An NFL spokesman said on Thursday that Jones' case is "under review" and declined to comment further.

Jones was jailed Jan. 3 on charges he head-butted police and spit on a nurse after his arrest for assault. Authorities say he was so combative he had to be placed in a restraint chair.

Jones says he anticipates the charges will be dismissed.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 January 2017 - 06:32 PM) we wont get watson. he's going 1st overall to the browns
azjetfan Icon : (12 January 2017 - 09:06 PM) Is Watson a product of Clemson's staff and supporting cast? Taj Boyd also put up some decent numbers if I remember correctly but he couldn't even make a scout team in the NFL.
azjetfan Icon : (12 January 2017 - 09:11 PM) From what I have read (although limited) he is not the highest ranked QB in the draft.
azjetfan Icon : (12 January 2017 - 09:11 PM) "No quarterback in this draft -- not Mitch Trubisky, not Watson, not DeShone Kizer -- is considered a sure thing. The folks at Scouts Inc. rank Trubisky, Watson and Kizer as the 21st, 38th and 46th prospects on their big board, respectively." ESPN
azjetfan Icon : (12 January 2017 - 09:12 PM) If we can get a decent return for Richardson we may be able to make a move into the mid teens to early 20s if the Brass really likes Watson.
azjetfan Icon : (12 January 2017 - 09:13 PM) Personally I don't think the jets have a clue on who they will take. We still have to hit FA and manage our roster
azjetfan Icon : (12 January 2017 - 11:46 PM) Jets to interview Broncos assistant Studesville for OC
Jetsfan115 Icon : (13 January 2017 - 01:28 PM) Why? seems like a weird choice
Jetsfan115 Icon : (13 January 2017 - 01:29 PM) Leonard Williams replacing Khalil Mack in Pro Bowl
Chadforpresi... Icon : (13 January 2017 - 09:49 PM) I'm not buying Watson, even after that championship game. Dude threw too many picks in his day
Chadforpresi... Icon : (13 January 2017 - 09:49 PM) I'm really curious to see what we get for Richardson, but I have a bad feeling his value is at an all time low between his crap season and bad attitude
azjetfan Icon : (14 January 2017 - 12:16 AM) I agree. He is a first round talent but a fourth round headache. We will be lucky to get a 2nd
Chadforpresi... Icon : (14 January 2017 - 08:41 AM) Yeah precisely. 2nd rounder would be a huge stretch. 3rd or 4th is more likely
vjdbbq Icon : (14 January 2017 - 02:18 PM) Send Sheldon someplace he will never see the playoffs ; like Jacksonville ; then he will have time to find da ho's .
azjetfan Icon : (14 January 2017 - 07:25 PM) R Sherman is getting torched by the Falcons.
vjdbbq Icon : (16 January 2017 - 09:37 AM) Pats vs Pitt - root for injuries
Jetsfan115 Icon : (16 January 2017 - 12:36 PM) GB-ATL game is gonna be a hell of a shootout. that throw rodgers made on 3rd and 20 with 12 seconds left in a tied game was ridiculous. 35 yards rolling out to his left a perfect placed ball on the sideline.
azjetfan Icon : (16 January 2017 - 10:50 PM) Winters resigned to 4 year deal. $7 million per year
Chadforpresi... Icon : (16 January 2017 - 10:51 PM) Seems like a slightly steep price but overall cool with it, he's turned into a good player and is still young. Just needs to stay healthy.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (17 January 2017 - 04:12 PM) seems like a good deal. they were saying he could have earned over 8 million in the open market
vjdbbq Icon : (18 January 2017 - 08:12 AM) Where's Rob ?
vjdbbq Icon : (18 January 2017 - 08:12 AM) Is he looking for a new ass ?
vjdbbq Icon : (18 January 2017 - 08:12 AM) :saythat:
vjdbbq Icon : (18 January 2017 - 08:13 AM) :trink39:
Jetsfan115 Icon : (18 January 2017 - 01:32 PM) 4 years 29 mil 15 mil guarenteed. so 7.25mil a year for winters. a nice bargain. he took a hometown discount. seems like a good guy. well done winters and mac
Jetsfan115 Icon : (18 January 2017 - 04:33 PM) Jets hire Dennard Wilson as defensive backs coach
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 January 2017 - 04:01 PM) Trump to name Jets' owner Woody Johnson U.K. ambassador
vjdbbq Icon : (19 January 2017 - 06:04 PM) Maybe Woody will take the Jets with him to London . PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:13 AM) Mark Gastineau says he has dementia, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

The Mornhinweg System

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

The Marty Mornhinweg system: How the new Jets coordinator runs his offense

On his first day as Marty Mornhinweg’s quarterbacks coach, Kevin Higgins learned that some of his most rooted beliefs about the game would no longer apply.

For example, the path a receiver takes during a passing play is not, and should never be called, a pattern. In the NFL, you call it a route.

And that drill nearly every quarterback in football does to warm up before practice — the one where he’s holding the ball and opening his hips to the left and right? That’s completely useless.

The QB doesn’t move like that during a game, does he?

"He said, ‘What the heck are you doing?’ " Higgins said. "Everything you did had to carry over to the game."

Higgins, the current head coach at The Citadel who worked under Mornhinweg during his two years as a head coach for the Detroit Lions, has as good an understanding of Mornhinweg’s offense as anyone.

He helped Mornhinweg sculpt game plans, made adjustments and, after being removed for more than a decade, has the perspective to compare it against other West Coast-style schemes.

As the Jets prepare for their first season with Mornhinweg as the new offensive coordinator, Higgins gave The Star-Ledger a look at some of the main principles in the coordinator’s system.

Like Mornhinweg himself, the offense is meticulous and dependent on precise details. Quarterbacks alone have a menu of 30 different drills to chose from during the week, consistent with the Bill Walsh coaching philosophy Mornhinweg learned from, Higgins said.

Like Mornhinweg’s numbers show — eight top-10 scoring offenses as a head coach or coordinator, as well as nine top-10 passing offenses, and six top-10 rushing offenses — it can pay off.

"It’s versatile, there’s a lot of things you can do," Higgins said. "Typically you’re playing with two backs in the backfield, so you’re going to have the opportunity to run power, run gap schemes and run inside and outside zones.

"From a pass game standpoint, it’s all about timing and it’s all about rhythm."

IT'S ABOUT TIMING

"It was never on a clock. It’s all about the quarterback’s footwork."

From slants to skinny posts, every route in Mornhinweg’s playbook is based on a timing system with a direct correlation to the type of drop-back a quarterback takes. The drops include:

Three step, plant and throw.

Three step, hesitate and throw.

Five step, plant and throw.

Five step, hitch and throw.

Seven step, hitch and throw.

The goal is to create a quarterback-receiver relationship based more on feel and rhythm. In the past, for example, Mark Sanchez was put on a countdown clock and buzzer in order to get plays off in a certain time. This system would ensure the wideout is working off of a different, more natural indicator to run the route.

"The series of quarterback-related drills (he does with footwork), I think, are outstanding," Higgins said. "That’s the first thing I did when I arrived in Detroit. Marty pulled me in a room and we went through them all meticulously. Every drill had a name and a goal."

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE

"There’s going to be a lot of slants, a lot of out routes and a lot of skinny posts."

Because of the timed routes, Higgins said the offense thrives on completion percentage, despite Mornhinweg working with quarterbacks not known for hitting on a high percentage of their passes. From 2010-2012, under Mornhinweg, Eagles QB Michael Vick had a completion rate of 60.2 percent after having a career 53.8 percentage in Atlanta.

Sanchez has a 55.1 rate for his career.

Higgins said the quarterbacks they worked with in Detroit loved the system, not only because of the simplicity and high success rate of the routes, but because of the security blanket installed with each play. No matter what, every play has a designed check-down option.

"On every route that’s devised, there’s always going to be a check-down," Higgins said. "We used to say, ‘as long as you can count to three you can be successful.’ If one isn’t there, look to two. If two isn’t there, reset your feet and make sure you find No. 3. There’s always going to be a nice check-down for you."

CREATING MISMATCHES

"We didn’t have a lot of talent, that was before some of the high draft choices like Roy Williams and guys like Az-Zahir Hakim came. … But just the various ways he could get the backs the football, I thought, was very, very good."

During Mornhinweg’s first season as Lions head coach in 2001, the team was first in the league in passing attempts and sixth in yards, despite a slew of injuries and a roster depleted of top-level talent.

One of his top weapons ended up being 6-foot, 247-pound fullback Cory Schlesinger, who understood leverage and could mismatch himself on linebackers. Schlesinger had 60 receptions for 466 yards, the second-most receptions on the team next to wideout Johnnie Morton.

During the Jets’ 2012 season, the fullbacks and running backs combined had just 42 catches — a correlation that’s easy to make with a rapid regression in Sanchez’s game, including the second-worst completion percentage of his career.

GOING DEEP

"What made Marty different from all the other West Coast guys was he took a lot of shots downfield."

Between 2010 and 2011, Mornhinweg’s Eagles were in the top 10 in passing plays of 20 yards or more. On passing plays of 40 yards or more they were No. 1 in 2010 and No. 12 in 2011.

Higgins remembers this philosophy going back to offensive meetings where Mornhinweg would look at the game plan and jokingly scold his coaches in Detroit for being too reliant on the safe dinks and dunks that define his system.

"We’ve only got three or four shots downfield," Higgins remembered Mornhinweg saying. "I want to see six or seven that can give us an honest chance at a home run that are realistic plays, like deep crossing routes with seven or eight man protection."

He wanted detail and regiment, but he also wanted the chance to surprise on any given play. In essence, what Rex Ryan has said he now wants in an offense.

"The Jets are going to enjoy playing for him," Higgins said.

http://www.nj.com/je..._system_ho.html

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm excited about this hire, best OC we have had in a long time. I always enjoyed watching the Eagles offense. And those who think it was Reid's offense, Mornhinweg has been calling the plays sine late 2006. He also did a good job with the 49ers offense, coached Steve Young and Jeff Garcia there.

I like that hes a QB guy, he understands things from the QB perspective and is known as a good QB developer. I think the Jets did good on this OC hiring, out of the guys they were looking, he had the best resume.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 23 January 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

I'm excited about this hire, best OC we have had in a long time. I always enjoyed watching the Eagles offense. And those who think it was Reid's offense, Mornhinweg has been calling the plays sine late 2006. He also did a good job with the 49ers offense, coached Steve Young and Jeff Garcia there.

I like that hes a QB guy, he understands things from the QB perspective and is known as a good QB developer. I think the Jets did good on this OC hiring, out of the guys they were looking, he had the best resume.

Agreed. So as not to raise expecations too much, it's probably best to remember Sparano's hiring last year was met similarly . though that was more to do with the fact Schottenheimer had gone.

Mornhinweg is different and a certainly a better hire considering he has far greater experience calling plays and served his apprenticeship in the league as a QB coach.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users