NYJetsFan.com Forums: ***darrelle Revis Trade Discussion*** - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) fuckin orton
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) how does he keep doing it?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 04:53 PM) Jack Daniels
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 06:25 PM) murray horse
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:28 PM) GOD DAMN IT ANQUAN
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) what is this amateur hour!?!?!?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) come on!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:43 PM) Manning just broke the Passing TD record
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) :boredom: we could of had him a few years ago
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) but at least he didn't break it on us
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:45 PM) I don't think he wanted to be here
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I don't really care for passing records being broken. Qbs now have a lot of rules in their favor
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I mean even the catch that got them into the redzone was a PI call that wouldnt of been called when favre played
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 October 2014 - 05:16 AM) is that a suggestion that Favre was a better QB than Peyton?
santana Icon : (20 October 2014 - 08:05 AM) No it's a suggestion that passing records today are a bit skewed by the modern rules
santana Icon : (20 October 2014 - 08:05 AM) everyone knows Favre is the bestest ever that's not even an argument duhhhhh
santana Icon : (20 October 2014 - 01:18 PM) Cool jets throw blanket - http://www.woot.com/...ref=cnt_wp_2_22
Jetsfan115 Icon : (20 October 2014 - 01:21 PM) jets slippers yo
santana Icon : (20 October 2014 - 01:37 PM) jets slippers the OG of cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 October 2014 - 07:10 PM) so Harvin will be wearing #16
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) 10 and 6
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) WOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) 9 wins a row for the Jets!!
santana Icon : (20 October 2014 - 10:28 PM) streets is real
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:36 PM) hey 05.. yo 05... 05!!!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:36 PM) UEFA TIME
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:35 PM) Jets to sign Kerley to a 4 year extension
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) he's a good slot WR, i'm assuming we got him cheap, can't complain
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) we need to lock up wilk. but if harvin pans out, were set at WR for the next 4 years as decker, kerly, and harvin are all under contract.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:44 PM) Ivory is good too, we need a speed back (CJ sin't cuting it) and some o-line and mainly a QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:46 PM) Our offensive weapons aren't bad, need a qb and ol
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:09 PM) they were bad when decker was hurt and it was nelson and kerly starting and salas in the slot
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:40 PM) That damn street thug Kerley
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:18 PM) Yeah because Nelson is terrible, Salas is no more than a #4 kind of wr
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:55 PM) Can we focus more on this street thug who is stealing $16 million from the team!?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:05 PM) salas shouldn't be on an NFL roster. #4 WR is a bit generous
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:00 PM) extending kerley is a great move. i could see another team poaching him off the roster real fast.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:17 PM) Salas isn't that bad, hes made some plays for us this season.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:17 PM) You know who shouldn't be on a NFL roster, Salim Hakim. IDK why hes still on the Jets, he was TERRIBLE at KR and has no value as a WR. Waste of a roster spot IMO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:18 PM) Percy Harvin will be our KR now, I would imagine. Hes electric at it
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:48 PM) yeah hakim is another one i don't understand. he is even attempting to play WR and got benched at KR
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 07:27 AM) FIRE IDZIK
Resize Shouts Area

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

***darrelle Revis Trade Discussion*** merged by Harlem

#341 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 05 March 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Again....I asked for substance as to how they came up with the 12 million.....not articles. But if it is 12, then it is. It's still better than 18 for one year of services and get nothing better than a 3rd round compensatory pick for him.

As for who said about the 16........how many times have you guys said PAY him basically whatever he wants and you "don't let a once in a lifetime player go" bull$hit. That intimates you're on board with giving him whatever he want, so no.....I'm not going to search through 17 pages in this thread to look for the statements. We all know he wants 16+. Stop acting like what he said in 2010 doesn't still count today considering he's demanding more money every 1.5 years on average.

He's already licking the ballsack of the 49ers saying it would be awesome if he went there. It's simple......he doesn't know what the word loyalty means so he's damn sure not going to give any "hometown" discount after 2013.

As for 115.......yes Flacco got 20 million per year because he just wont he Superbowl and the team owner told him before the season that he can demand practically anything he wanted if he won the Superbowl for him that year. He did, so he got what he wanted. And fyi......Flacco is a lot better than "average".

Hell......Revis wants more money than Tom Brady is getting for crying out loud and he's nowhere near as valuable to the Jets as Brady is to the Pats. Brady is without a doubt the face of that franchise besides Bellichump.

Again, who?, Who said to pay Revis whatever he wanted? I sure as hell didn't. The onus isn't on me to prove it, it's on you. You are the one unwilling to back up what you're saying.

I don't know what the substance is for how it becomes a $12M hit if traded, but the fact remains it's a $12 million hit. I love how now Revis is now a jerkoff street thug who is "licking the ballsack of the 49ers." If the Jets can play their hand in this the way they want, then why can't Revis?. Also dude, there is no loyalty in sports. This is a business.

And Jeff Cumberland could want $16 million a season, that doesn't mean he'd get it. Like Chaos said, one side has their figure, the other side has theirs...that is why they negotiate and compromise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#342 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 05 March 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

Again, who?, Who said to pay Revis whatever he wanted? I sure as hell didn't. The onus isn't on me to prove it, it's on you. You are the one unwilling to back up what you're saying.

I don't know what the substance is for how it becomes a $12M hit if traded, but the fact remains it's a $12 million hit. I love how now Revis is now a jerkoff street thug who is "licking the ballsack of the 49ers." If the Jets can play their hand in this the way they want, then why can't Revis?. Also dude, there is no loyalty in sports. This is a business.

And Jeff Cumberland could want $16 million a season, that doesn't mean he'd get it. Like Chaos said, one side has their figure, the other side has theirs...that is why they negotiate and compromise

Again......WHERE is the extra 3 million coming from? Don't give me that bull$hit that it's 12 because that's what's reported. All of a sudden, what's reported is gospel when it comes to his cap hit but not worth a grain of salt when it comes to how much he wants per year? You can't play it both ways. I don't have to prove jack $hit.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#343 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 05 March 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Again......WHERE is the extra 3 million coming from? Don't give me that bull$hit that it's 12 because that's what's reported. All of a sudden, what's reported is gospel when it comes to his cap hit but not worth a grain of salt when it comes to how much he wants per year? You can't play it both ways. I don't have to prove jack $hit.

Where it comes from is irrelevant...like I said, IT IS THERE. Not only is it there, but it is shown to be there without information from an individual with knowledge about the cap situation
Posted ImagePosted Image

#344 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 05 March 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Where it comes from is irrelevant...like I said, IT IS THERE. Not only is it there, but it is shown to be there without information from an individual with knowledge about the cap situation

Here is the info about why it is $12 million and not $9 million:

The second hangup comes on the Jets end. The information I have on Revis’ contract tells me that he should carry a dead money hit of $12 million in 2013, not $9 million as reported, if the Jets were to trade him. That $12 million comes from an $18 million dollar option bonus he received in 2011 that was prorated from 2011 thru 2016. He is scheduled to count for $9 million against what looks to be a somewhat type cap for the team, so they would lose a net of $3 million for the year plus whatever draft pick and/or player salary they get back for him. So its difficult for both sides to make a deal.

http://nyjetscap.com...elle-revis.html

#345 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 05 March 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

As for who said about the 16........how many times have you guys said PAY him basically whatever he wants and you "don't let a once in a lifetime player go" bull$hit. That intimates you're on board with giving him whatever he want, so no.....I'm not going to search through 17 pages in this thread to look for the statements. We all know he wants 16+. Stop acting like what he said in 2010 doesn't still count today considering he's demanding more money every 1.5 years on average.

Since you won't do it, I'll do it for you. Notice the bold text.

View PostChaos, on 25 January 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

If the Jets are getting back serious PROVEN talent in return, I am much more willing to listen. But these are fans talking, and that is just a ludicrous trade for the Cardinals.

You will not find a trade that works out well for both parties when a potential HOF talent is being traded. It's just not going to happen. And with the Jets recent drafting history, I'm not too optimistic. What I am annoyed by is Woody willing to trade for Tebow to fill seats but the giving away home grown talent for money reasons. Figure something out. Revis wants $16 mil a year but he will be very much challenged to find that anywhere. Jets need to find a way to make Revis fit, not trade him away. Jets are making some cap room this season. Holmes will be gone next season. Sanchez will more than likely be out too. The money can be found and for a player like Revis, it needs to be.

And if he ends up on the Pats somehow after this? Not only will I be done with the Jets, you can guarantee Brady another ring.

View PostMr_Jet, on 27 January 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

Revis can say he wants the sky and the moon, that doesn't mean he's going to end up getting it. I've never once said Revis should get every penny that he asks for. In regards to a "hometown discount" why should he give the Jets a hometown discount? What good does that do for the player? After what the NFL owners did in 2011 I sure as hell wouldn't give a team a hometown discount. This is Revis' last chance at a big payday before he turns 30. If Revis gave the Jets a hometown discount does that mean after Revis starts to decline towards the end of the contract that the Jets will give him a bonus for his years of service? Anyway this is the reason they negotiate. Neither side gets everything they want nor should they. Maybe if the GM Woody hired hadn't given a certain player a contract extension last offseason after that player had a bad 2011 season, we'd have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing Revis. No the only thing Revis has done since signing his extension is to continue to be the best CB in the NFL. I don't care how much he complains in the media, as long as continues to be the best CB in the league.

View PostJetsfan0099, on 28 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

At least try negotiating with Revis. Idzik just got the job, he didn't have time to speak with Revis' agents and see what type of numbers it will take. I would pay him $12-14 mil a season, that would comfortably make him the highest paid CB in the game.

I would trade Cromartie, which saves over $8 mil in cap space for us this season, and saves like $10-9 mil in cap space. In 2014 we could also release Sanchez and Holmes which saves a lot. We could also release David Harris for a saving of $5 mil.

Our cap situation isn't bad after the 2013 season. They can afford to pay Revis, especially if they traded Cromartie who's value is at its highest. I think Revis will be great in his 30s as well, his flawless technique and smarts will keep him great.

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 28 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

He isn't going to get $16 million a year by the way...like 0099 wrote somewhere it's more realistic to see him make between $12-14 million, both sides are going to make concessions (as it stands in every negotiation). I see no problem paying the best CB in the game that kind of money

View PostJetsfan115, on 30 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

revis never held out to be the highest paid D player in the league. he held out to be teh highest paid CB. I have no problem making him teh highest paid CB.

right now he and aso are tie at 12 mil a season. If he wants 13 i'd give it to him. Mario is making over 19. I don't think revis can ask for 7+ mil over the 2nd highest paid CB

So you can take me, Chaos, Harlem, 0099, and 115 off your list of people who've said "pay him basically whatever he wants." None of us has said that or anything like that.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#346 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I don't have to prove jack $hit.

Uh...yes you do. You've been saying that people in this thread have said pay Revis whatever he wants. I want to know who those users are in this thread. I see your list got shortened by 5 of us.

Please stop ducking the question and attempting to divert attention to another point. Who has said pay Revis whatever he wants?

Now, I'll go on record saying that if they cannot get a deal done then yes a trade should be attempted. However that should not come before talking extensively about numbers with Revis and his people. I just don't feel one of the best CBs to ever play the game should just be thrown away for draft picks who may or may not pan out.

IF it comes time to discuss a trade (and I am admittedly saying this without any figures in front of me so I do not know what the money situation would look like) the Jets should get similar proven type talent in any potential deal. Players like Ware, Fitzgerald, Willis, or Bowman. It really is shameful to see some of you still so enraged about the 2010 holdout
Posted ImagePosted Image

#347 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Adam Schefter 6 minutes ago via WhoSay Broadcast ·

NY Daily News reports Jets have two teams interested in Darrelle Revis. This much is known: Jets are shopping him and determined to deal him

Posted ImagePosted Image

#348 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I hate being a Jets fan. Not only can some seasons be true heartbreaks, can't even root for a guy in peace. I'm usually a fan of the team, but sometimes there is just one guy who is special and you cheer for his personnel success as well. One of those guys you think will never put on another uniform and then this happens. Only three guys on the Jets like that for me: Martin, Chrebet, and Revis. Guess it's time for me to accept that Revis won't be back next year. Smh.

#349 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostChaos, on 06 March 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

I hate being a Jets fan. Not only can some seasons be true heartbreaks, can't even root for a guy in peace. I'm usually a fan of the team, but sometimes there is just one guy who is special and you cheer for his personnel success as well. One of those guys you think will never put on another uniform and then this happens. Only three guys on the Jets like that for me: Martin, Chrebet, and Revis. Guess it's time for me to accept that Revis won't be back next year. Smh.

I can't wait for people to start bitching about the secondary being unable to cover anyone. They should force Sanchez to write Revis a $8.22M check for this season
Posted ImagePosted Image

#350 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostChaos, on 06 March 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Agreed, its really hard to root for this team... They hardly ever have stars and when they do they ship them out. Martin was a rare thing... Now we will have to watch Revis play out his HOF career with another team... Other teams pay their stars, but not the Jets they overpay average players and refuse to pay the truly elite players worth paying...
Posted Image

#351 User is offline   MlorinczJ Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Rotoworld

Sources tell the Daily News that the 49ers and Falcons are both interested in trading for Darrelle Revis.
When the trading period opens on March 12, the Jets are expected to strongly consider the best offer for Revis. "He's gone," a Daily News source said Tuesday. "This is happening. They're moving him. They can't keep him. They're rebuilding. They're starting fresh." The suitors have reportedly made it clear that they are willing to part with draft picks and give Revis the new long-term deal he wants despite his ACL tear. At this point, it would be a major surprise if we ever see him in a Jets uniform again.

Thought this was worth posting
"I thought he was good?!? If he prays when he scores. Everyone knew him for praying. That only can mean he scores :)"

Quote from my wife when I told her I liked Tebow, but that he sucks as a QB

#352 User is offline   JetsOhFive Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hey remember when everyone wanted to trade Abraham because we were just fine with Ellis and Thomas? Remember how we spent the next 7 years bitching and complaining that we couldn't get anyone who could rush the QB? Hope that doesn't happen here.
Posted Image

#353 User is online   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

If i was idzik, no way in hell i'd trade revis. You just get hired and your 1st move is trading your teams best player who is still young and a future HOFer? That a bad move. especially on a team that has so little going for it. Revis is one of the few bring spots on our team and he wants to get rid of it? Thats bad juju
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#354 User is offline   2JBallar01 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Revis wants to remain with Jets: sources
  • By STEVE SERBY
  • Last Updated: 12:03 PM, March 7, 2013
  • Posted: 1:49 AM, March 7, 2013

Wants owner Woody Johnson — more than Arthur Blank of the Falcons, more than Jed York of the 49ers, more than anyone — to show him the money.

“He wants to remain a Jet,” the source said. “He has never asked to be traded.”

Revis has not given up on the idea that Johnson will appease his lame-duck head coach, Rex Ryan, and find a way to keep him in green and white rather than trade him. In Revis’ mind, apparently, the grass isn’t necessarily greener elsewhere, and neither is the money.

Posted Image
Neil Miller
ABOUT FACE: Sources tell The New York Post Darrelle Revis wants to stay with the Jets.
Nor has Revis given up on the idea the Jets can be playoff contenders once he returns healthy from his torn ACL in his left knee, even if most everyone else on the outside, including me, sees the Jets, with holes all over the roster, in rebuilding mode.

Revis’ glass somehow remains half-full. He remembers the glory days when a young Mark Sanchez took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship games and hasn’t given up on that idea either, that if Sanchez is surrounded by better weapons, anything is possible in this NFL. Gulp.

Revis spoke out of turn when blurted out on Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson’s web show that it would be “awesome” to play for the 49ers. But the source insists the faux pas by no means signaled Revis attempting an escape from New York.

But why would Revis want to stay a Jet? Someone is sure to pay him somewhere close to his $16 million asking price that someone is convinced they will not be backing up the Brinks truck for damaged goods.

In no particular order, according to the source:

* He loves playing for Ryan, and knows the last thing Ryan wants as a lame duck coach is to lose his best player.

* He loves the New York/New Jersey area and still hopes against hope that Johnson regards him not unlike how owner Fred Wilpon regarded David Wright when he recently made him a Met For Life.

* He loves the Jets fan base — with or without Fireman Ed.

If Revis is traded, it will be clear that Ryan’s power within the organization has been severely diminished, because the owner knows how much the coach treasures his best player. If Ryan, who adamantly has denied the speculation over trade talks, is indeed out of the loop and in the dark on any Revis trade talks, and he is truly Dead Coach Walking.

In the meantime, there remain big obstacles to a Revis trade:

* His health.

* What the Jets could fetch — they should not settle for anything less than a first- and a third-round pick — and when they could fetch it. The 49ers and Falcons, contrary to a published report, are either lukewarm to the idea of trading for Revis or posturing.

* Finding a contending team that views Revis as the missing piece to the Super Bowl puzzle, that is willing to bring him into a locker room filled with loyal players wondering where their money is.

So for now, Revis is pressing the rewind button on any desire to play for the 49ers, or for anyone else.

Revis to Woody: Let’s make a deal.

#355 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport spoke with two general managers in an effort to get a ballpark price on what the Jets might be able to get for Revis on the trade market. Both GMs believed the Jets might fetch a 2013 first-round pick and a 2014 conditional pick that would be a second-rounder or better

Posted Image

#356 User is offline   MlorinczJ Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Rotoworld

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on SportsCenter Thursday that the Jets are "determined" to trade Darrelle Revis.
"The one thing that does seem very apparent: The Jets are determined to make a deal for Darrelle Revis," Schefter said. "They'd like to make it at any point before the draft, so that there would be picks involved in this trade that they could use to help rebuild and replenish this roster." It's been suggested that the Jets might get 70 cents on the dollar if they traded Revis before he's proved his health in camp or preseason games. They seem willing to roll that dice. Mar 7 - 1:24 PM

"I thought he was good?!? If he prays when he scores. Everyone knew him for praying. That only can mean he scores :)"

Quote from my wife when I told her I liked Tebow, but that he sucks as a QB

#357 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

It might seem simple enough to say that Darrelle Revis is the New York Jets' best player, and they should want to keep him, and if they don't, there ought to be a long line of suitors waiting to trade for him.

And if you're a headline writer or tabloid columnist in New York City, it's very easy to look at that forest, ignore the patches of dead trees, and scream from the mountaintop how new general manager John Idzik should bring this whole affair to conclusion.
Ready to ignore the noise?

If you are, here's the truth: The Revis situation is massively complicated and has provided the Jets' first-year front-office boss with a daunting initial challenge at the controls. Playing into all of this is the state of the club's roster, its salary structure, Revis' contract situation, his knee, and the value of the corner position in the NFL in 2013.

"The Jets brought this on themselves," one rival AFC personnel executive said. "Not being able to tag the player, the short-sighted contract a couple years ago -- they're here because of how they decided to do business."

In short, Idzik now has to clean up a mess he didn't create. Among the complications:

» Revis is going into the final year of his deal and can't be tagged next season. He's already staged two holdouts, and threatened another, and has always desired to be paid at the top of the market. So if the Jets or a team trading for him go into 2013 without a new deal in place, they risk losing him in 2014 for nothing more than a compensatory pick.

» Because of his stature and the investment they've made in developing and paying him, the Jets need to get a suitable return for Revis. Trouble is, then, a team trading for Revis not only would need to amend his long-term situation financially or risk losing him, but also pour draft-pick resources into the equation. It's a lot to ask.
Revis' ACL recovery colors all of this. Yes, scores of guys have returned to full strength from knee reconstructions, but corner is the position where this type of injury typically hits hardest. So there's a catch-22 here. If you're trading for him, you can take a leap of faith, sign him, and hope he becomes what he was. Or you go the short-term route, and risk throwing draft picks away for a player who's not at full strength in 2013, which would defeat the purpose of a one-year rental.

According to a source close to Revis, the corner's preference -- despite all that's happened in the last few weeks -- is to remain a Jet. In fact, Revis was under the impression when he signed his four-year, $46 million deal with the club back in 2010 that the contract would be reworked in 2012 to secure his future. The source said the Jets and Revis haven't had a real negotiating session since 2010.

Revis' vision has been to be the Derek Jeter of the Jets and, as such, he wants to help fix what's broken in Florham Park.

The problem is he's never shown a willingness to leave a penny on the table in that effort. And the question being asked by the Jets (who declined comment for this story) internally now isn't how good Revis is, it's philosophically how much money should be tied up in a player at his position. That's tough to measure, particularly given the need to make over the roster and financial structure of the team.

"I'm not gonna pay him, or any corner, what Nnamdi (Asomugha) was making in Oakland, that's absurd," said one NFC personnel director, referencing the three-year deal that paid Asomugha $15 million per season. "I know it's a passing league, but the great teams -- New England, Green Bay -- they spread you out, find a mismatch, and bleed you to death. You can't tie up all that money in one guy, when you need help all the way around.

"If I have Champ (Bailey) or Revis, I'll pay top dollar, but I won't do something ridiculous."

Indeed, there are 28 players going into 2013 on deals averaging $12 million or more, and only one is a defensive back -- Asomugha, who's making $12 million even and is expected to be forced to either take a paycut or lose his job in Philly.

Conversely, there's no question how good Revis was pre-injury. One NFC personnel executive said, "He was Superman. Fantastic, rare, takes players out of the game. Last time I did (his tape), it was 'Wow'." Another NFC personnel executive added, "He has the ability to change the outcome of every game by himself."

But because of all the existing conditions, six NFL decision-makers polled for this story said they'd do what the Jets seem poised to do, and deal their superstar. The NFC personnel director quoted above said he'd set the floor at two second-round picks. The first NFC exec said he'd want at least a 1 and a 3, the second NFC exec said at least a 1 and two 3s, while the AFC exec said a 1 and an attached pick conditional on Revis' 2013 performance would be his minimum.

Those who know Idzik say his nature is to be deliberate and measured. So if the Jets think they can do better in late April or even the summer, when another club's doctor can get a clearer picture of Revis' knee, then the GM won't be afraid to wait, no matter how hard outside forces are pressing.

The consensus among the group polled was that the Jets need to get multiple picks back. And that's underscoring another larger reason for trading him here, which is the need to rebuild the roster.

The second NFC exec said, "It's pathetic. One guy is not their answer. They need 10-15 guys, including a quarterback. It's hard to put a number on what they need, to be honest." The first NFC exec affirmed, "That's not a very good football team. What's too bad is [if you trade Revis], the sacrificial lamb is a damn good football coach. He's gonna lose his job over this, that's the shame of it. But based on where they are, and they look like a 3-13 or 5-11 club, it makes sense to get the picks and rebuild."

In essence, in doing what's right for the club long-term, the Jets would have to cash in their top resource. In doing so, they'd tacitly admit the mismanagement of their team following consecutive AFC title game appearances in 2009 and 2010.

Worse, they'd be dealing Revis in what's a less-than-ideal market for a seller. Add it up, and you have a situation that some have tried to make so black-and-white blanketed in shades of gray.

And a difficult decision, one to trade away your best player and start over, that increasingly seems to be the only one for the Jets to make.

Posted Image

#358 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
Darrelle Revis tells Andrea Kremer on @NFLNetwork that's he's on pace to run outside in 4-6 weeks. #nyj

Posted ImagePosted Image

#359 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hes milking this injury, he should have suited up for football 5 weeks ago!!! :ranting:
Posted Image

#360 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

ROARRRR HE IS HOLDING THE TEAM BACK THAT DAMN GREEDY MEVIS
Posted ImagePosted Image

• (20 Pages)
  • +