NYJetsFan.com Forums: ***darrelle Revis Trade Discussion*** - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (27 July 2014 - 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 July 2014 - 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (28 July 2014 - 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:26 PM) yep everyone is still dicks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:50 PM) .[43] Moments later, during a live post-game interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews, Sherman emotionally shouted, "Well, I'm the best corner in the game! When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you gonna get
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:51 PM) Im the best poster on the site!! When you try me with a sorry poster like Santana, thats the result your gonna get.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 July 2014 - 06:52 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOO
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 07:48 PM) you are the best cb on the site cb of course meaning cheap bastard
santana Icon : (28 July 2014 - 07:49 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:16 AM) any news on Amaro? havent seen anything on twitter.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:56 PM) only 39 days 20 hours and 3 min to go till the JETS kick off the season on Sept 7th at 1pm against the Oakland Raiders
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:59 PM) Amaro practiced today in full pads
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:21 PM) 42 Days 39 min till Sons Of Anarchy FINAL SEASON starts
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:42 PM) Amaro has a lingering sore tendon
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:43 PM) I've read that hes been up and down so far
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) Dexter McDougle has been looking really good
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) Oday Aboushi might end up starting on the OL, hes been doing good at LG
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:46 PM) FIRE IDZIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:41 PM) VICK=$$$$$$
santana Icon : (Today, 09:24 AM) Everyone knows that Vick = $$
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) I do it all
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) North to south east to the west
Resize Shouts Area

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

***darrelle Revis Trade Discussion*** merged by Harlem

#81 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I feel like the jets will rebuild their team through their defense. Which means that revis will be resigned.
It's going to be a long process and lots of speculation but I feel revis and the jets will come to a deal making him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league. He won't get haynesworth type of money but he will get his market price.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#82 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postsantana, on 26 January 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

#83 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

View Postsantana, on 26 January 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

shj's usual friday night
huehuehuehue
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#84 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 January 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

What has changed since that time? Revis is on record saying that he wants to be highest paid. He's not on record saying he changed his mind. He's not on record saying hes going to give the Jets a hometown discount. He's not on record saying he's going to do what it takes to make sure the Jets have enough money to build a competitive team. No. The only thing that Revis has done since signing his extension is complain that the front office has "lied" to him.

What in this entire saga, gives you any inkling that he's looking for ANYTHING other than being the highest paid defensive player. I'm basing my logic on what he has said... what are you basing yours on?

Revis can say he wants the sky and the moon, that doesn't mean he's going to end up getting it. I've never once said Revis should get every penny that he asks for. In regards to a "hometown discount" why should he give the Jets a hometown discount? What good does that do for the player? After what the NFL owners did in 2011 I sure as hell wouldn't give a team a hometown discount. This is Revis' last chance at a big payday before he turns 30. If Revis gave the Jets a hometown discount does that mean after Revis starts to decline towards the end of the contract that the Jets will give him a bonus for his years of service? Anyway this is the reason they negotiate. Neither side gets everything they want nor should they. Maybe if the GM Woody hired hadn't given a certain player a contract extension last offseason after that player had a bad 2011 season, we'd have more money to play with when it comes to re-signing Revis. No the only thing Revis has done since signing his extension is to continue to be the best CB in the NFL. I don't care how much he complains in the media, as long as continues to be the best CB in the league.

Lets not play hypotheticals. Lets take stats to this. With Revis, the Jets were ranked 2nd in pass protection and 5th without him. We dropped 3 spots. Lets not compare that to a hypothetical drop in offensive production without Mangold, because out offense is horrible with him. Assume Revis is asking for $16M per year with around $60M guaranteed. Is he worth it? Is he worth tying up all that money for a miniscule bump in rankings?

:banghead: I'm so sick of seeing that pass defense stat taken out of context. As I and others on this board have said more than once (in this thread I might add), you don't have to pass the ball if you can run the ball at will. Where were the Jets ranked in rushing defense? The Jets were ranked 26th. The Jets were out-rushed in 7 of the 10 losses this season. In the 9 losses that the Jets had after Revis' injury only one QB through for 250 or more yards and that was Tom Brady twice. In the Jets worst loss of the season against the 49ers (34-0), the 49ers had 247 rushing yards and 134 passing yards. So it's not like the Revis-less secondary was shutting things down. The other team's running attack had it's way with our horrible rush defense and so the Revis-less secondary rarely had to worry about the other team's passing attack. That pass defense ranking stat is very misleading. Who knows what that pass defense ranking would've been if our rush defense wasn't as horrible as it was and other teams actually had to rely more on their passing game.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#85 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 27 January 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

Revis can say he wants the sky and the moon, that doesn't mean he's going to end up getting it.

BINGO. We've finally arrived at a point that we can agree on. Revis can ask for the moon and the stars, doesn't mean he's going to get it. But you know what that means? That means that he'll EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY of getting it. How does one do that? He enters FREE AGENCY. This is what I've been yamming about all this time. I don't know what Revis is going to ultimately sign for. I don't know if he's going to be the highest paid player, the highest paid defensive player or if he's even going to become the highest paid defensive back, my point is simple: he's going to want to test the market. Whatever the Jets are going to offer, he's going to say "Okay, that sounds low/good/awesome BUT I'm going to see what others are trying to pay me and I'll give you a chance to match". That's THE BEST CASE SCENARIO. The fact that we have absolutely ZERO leverage (we can't Tag him) is a guarantee that he's going to want to test the FA waters. Whether he ends up being affordable or not is not the argument here, the argument is that we're going to let the greatest player to ever play for our team walk to 31 other GMs and say "Hey, make me an offer" and if he likes that offer, WE'LL GET NOTHING IN RETURN EXCEPT MAYBE A TWEET. It's becoming more evident with every scrap of info that comes out regarding this that Woody is very pessimistic about our chances to lock him up. That's why I'm for this trade. Getting something is better than watching him leave for nothing.

View PostMr_Jet, on 27 January 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

:banghead:/>/>/> I'm so sick of seeing that pass defense stat taken out of context. As I and others on this board have said more than once (in this thread I might add), you don't have to pass the ball if you can run the ball at will. Where were the Jets ranked in rushing defense? The Jets were ranked 26th. The Jets were out-rushed in 7 of the 10 losses this season. In the 9 losses that the Jets had after Revis' injury only one QB through for 250 or more yards and that was Tom Brady twice. In the Jets worst loss of the season against the 49ers (34-0), the 49ers had 247 rushing yards and 134 passing yards. So it's not like the Revis-less secondary were shutting things down. The other team's running attack had it's way with our horrible rush defense and so the Revis-less secondary rarely had to worry about the other team's passing attack. That pass defense ranking stat is very misleading.

I'll give you that, our run defense is terrible. So is our offense as a whole. I know how to fix it though, BY NOT GIVING ONE GUY ON ONE SIDE OF THE DEFENSE $60M GUARANTEED! How about we get some LBers to stop the run? Maybe get a passrusher so Brady doesn't have time to fix himself a sandwitch in the pocket? How about we lock up a FS, you know, just in case teams start throwing the ball? Maybe we even get a QB! If we do get a QB, we'll probably want to keep him healthy so getting a OG or two would be nice, since both of ours are mediocre and Free Agents... probably a good idea to get a RT while we're at it. We can also shop around for a RB that can both run between the tackles and catch the ball, since we don't seem to ever have that combination or we can find a TE that can block and catch, which would probably help with the whole passing game and keeping the defense resting on teh sidelines fad that is now prevalent on some teams.

WE NEED f***ing PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION! WE NEED DRAFT PICKS! WE NEED CAP ROOM! I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HAVING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU FOR 5 GODDAMN PAGES!

#86 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 27 January 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

BINGO. We've finally arrived at a point that we can agree on. Revis can ask for the moon and the stars, doesn't mean he's going to get it. But you know what that means? That means that he'll EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY of getting it. How does one do that? He enters FREE AGENCY. This is what I've been yamming about all this time. I don't know what Revis is going to ultimately sign for. I don't know if he's going to be the highest paid player, the highest paid defensive player or if he's even going to become the highest paid defensive back, my point is simple: he's going to want to test the market. Whatever the Jets are going to offer, he's going to say "Okay, that sounds low/good/awesome BUT I'm going to see what others are trying to pay me and I'll give you a chance to match". That's THE BEST CASE SCENARIO. The fact that we have absolutely ZERO leverage (we can't Tag him) is a guarantee that he's going to want to test the FA waters. Whether he ends up being affordable or not is not the argument here, the argument is that we're going to let the greatest player to ever play for our team walk to 31 other GMs and say "Hey, make me an offer" and if he likes that offer, WE'LL GET NOTHING IN RETURN EXCEPT MAYBE A TWEET. It's becoming more evident with every scrap of info that comes out regarding this that Woody is very pessimistic about our chances to lock him up. That's why I'm for this trade. Getting something is better than watching him leave for nothing.

Look. This all could've been avoided if the Woody AND THE PEOPLE HE HIRED would have made better decisions years ago. We all knew this was coming back in 2010 when Revis signed the extension. I'm saying trading Revis should only be done as an absolute LAST resort. After you've first tried to negotiate with him, after you've tried to meet him half way. After you've done everything you can do to try to make him happy while at the same time trying to look out for the best interest of the team as a whole. And if after all of that Revis still refuses to budge, THEN AND ONLY THEN do you start the process of trading him. The Jets have not done that. No the Jets have done things like give Mark Sanchez a contract extension after a bad 2011 season. The Jets have done things like trade for Tim Tebow when they had a backup QB that was being paid less. No the Jets front office has done many head scratching things since the fall of 2010. And the buck stops with Woody Johnson. But Woody rather than try to handle this stuff in house, he has let this become an issue in the public. So if anybody is to blame for all of this it's Woody Johnson. He has seen this problem coming since 2010 and should have been focusing on resigning Revis ever since then instead of giving Sanchez an extension and chasing after Tim Tebow. I would agree with trading Revis if I truly thought Woody had done everything he possibly could have since 2010 to extend Revis beyond 2014. But no I don't think Woody has made keeping Revis his top priority since 2010. I'M NOT SAYING REVIS SHOULD'VE BEEN HIS ONLY PRIORITY. I'm saying Revis should've been his top priority. But no Woody wanted to be in the Tebow jersey selling business among other things.

I'll give you that, our run defense is terrible. So is our offense as a whole. I know how to fix it though, BY NOT GIVING ONE GUY ON ONE SIDE OF THE DEFENSE $60M GUARANTEED! How about we get some LBers to stop the run? Maybe get a passrusher so Brady doesn't have time to fix himself a sandwitch in the pocket? How about we lock up a FS, you know, just in case teams start throwing the ball? Maybe we even get a QB! If we do get a QB, we'll probably want to keep him healthy so getting a OG or two would be nice, since both of ours are mediocre and Free Agents... probably a good idea to get a RT while we're at it. We can also shop around for a RB that can both run between the tackles and catch the ball, since we don't seem to ever have that combination or we can find a TE that can block and catch, which would probably help with the whole passing game and keeping the defense resting on teh sidelines fad that is now prevalent on some teams.

Now who's asking for the sky and the moon? I don't see the Jets being able to get all the things you mentioned just by shipping away Revis alone. Maybe if the Jets had made better decisions outside of Revis we wouldn't have as many holes as we have right now. Again the buck stops with the guy at the top and that is Woody Johnson.

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HAVING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU FOR 5 GODDAMN PAGES!

Well I guess you've wasted your time haven't you? You haven't explained shit to me because I still feel the same way I felt 2 days ago. I still believe trading Revis isn't going to help the Jets get any closer to winning a Super Bowl and that's all I care about.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#87 User is offline   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sorry boys, but Revis has to go if the right offer is in place. Too many holes in this team to fill in. Jets D did alright without him. Cromartie stepped up big time. We need bodies on this team especially offense. I like the dude Idzik. No nonsense guy. I have a feeling Rex will not have his way like he did with Tanny. Idzik been around the block. He's not letting everything out just yet.

#88 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Antonio Cromartie stepped into the New York Jets' top cornerback role following a season-ending injury to Darrelle Revis and responded with a Pro Bowl season. Will his reward be a ticket out of town?

ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini reported Sunday morning there is a "a small segment of the organization" that would prefer to trade Cromartie over Revis. The Jets are mired in another Revis contract soap opera, leading to reports this week that the team was looking to move him in a deal.

Trading Cromartie is an intriguing alternative option. While Revis' trade value has never been lower, Cromartie's is just the opposite. Cromartie did an excellent job filling Revis' shoes against No. 1 receivers in the season's final two months, proving he's more than just a second banana in the secondary.

The move has financial merit as well. According to Cimini, trading Cromartie would clear $8.2 million in cap room -- $2.5 million in "dead" money. Dealing Revis will cost the Jets $12 million in dead money (his current cap charge is $9 million).

And then there's the tricky timing element. The Jets would have to re-up with Revis prior to dealing Cromartie, preferably before Cromartie's $2.3 million roster bonus kicks in on March 15. If they deal Cromartie before re-signing Revis, Revis would gain a tremendous amount of leverage.

Moving Cromartie is an option, but it comes with its own set of obstacles.
Posted Image Posted Image

#89 User is offline   chocomag Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostMikeGangGreenFan2, on 27 January 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Antonio Cromartie stepped into the New York Jets' top cornerback role following a season-ending injury to Darrelle Revis and responded with a Pro Bowl season. Will his reward be a ticket out of town?

ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini reported Sunday morning there is a "a small segment of the organization" that would prefer to trade Cromartie over Revis. The Jets are mired in another Revis contract soap opera, leading to reports this week that the team was looking to move him in a deal.

Trading Cromartie is an intriguing alternative option. While Revis' trade value has never been lower, Cromartie's is just the opposite. Cromartie did an excellent job filling Revis' shoes against No. 1 receivers in the season's final two months, proving he's more than just a second banana in the secondary.

The move has financial merit as well. According to Cimini, trading Cromartie would clear $8.2 million in cap room -- $2.5 million in "dead" money. Dealing Revis will cost the Jets $12 million in dead money (his current cap charge is $9 million).

And then there's the tricky timing element. The Jets would have to re-up with Revis prior to dealing Cromartie, preferably before Cromartie's $2.3 million roster bonus kicks in on March 15. If they deal Cromartie before re-signing Revis, Revis would gain a tremendous amount of leverage.

Moving Cromartie is an option, but it comes with its own set of obstacles.

Let me make my position clear. I do not want to see us trade Revis.I do believe he is the best talent we have had since Namath. I also believe he makes the entire defense better - against the run as we can add an additional player in the box - against the pass as he neutralizes the other teams best WR and in the locker room. That's hard to quantify in dollars.

However, there are many downsides to keeping him and thanks to the Jet braintrust (I use that word loosely) we gave a huge contract to one of the most terrible players in the league putting us in the position of not being able to make another mistake.

If we decide to play Revis this year and not trade him but not renegotiate his contract and he leaves next year we not only get nothing for him but we also, I believe but am not positive, will take a cap hit in 2014 because his bonus gets prorated. The figure I hear is $9 million. So we could lose him and get crushed with the cap. Can't do that.

If we sign him to a huge contract and he gets hurt seriously again we are dead for years and years. Another gamble that we can't afford to lose.

If we trade him this year for a 1 and 3 to a team like the Lions who need a CB, we could draft 5 and 9. With those picks we could take a pass rusher and a CB. With our second and third round we strengthen the offensive line and we trade the thrid round pick we get in the trade to Seattle for Flynn who knows the West Coast offense. And all of that would cost less than Revis.

#90 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 27 January 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

Well I guess you've wasted your time haven't you? You haven't explained shit to me because I still feel the same way I felt 2 days ago. I still believe trading Revis isn't going to help the Jets get any closer to winning a Super Bowl and that's all I care about.

All you care about is going to a Superbowl but yet you support crippling the team financially in order to only keep one player? Which way is it? Revis or the team reaching the superbowl because if you give your golden boy his contract, you guarantee he team won't ever see one as long as he's on the team because the team wont be able to afford any other players needed to get there.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#91 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 27 January 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

All you care about is going to a Superbowl but yet you support crippling the team financially in order to only keep one player? Which way is it? Revis or the team reaching the superbowl because if you give your golden boy his contract, you guarantee he team won't ever see one as long as he's on the team because the team wont be able to afford any other players needed to get there.

Look Mr. Zimmerman, you have absolutely no objectivity as far as Revis is concerned and you made that crystal clear the other day with your hot headed
"street thug" comment. You're still butt hurt over the 2010 holdout as if you were the Jets owner yourself. Revis isn't crippling shit. The reason we are not in a position to win a Super Bowl next year (or this past season) is because of the mismanagement of the GM Woody Johnson hired and the bad decisions Woody has made. One of which was looking to try and sell PSLs and jerseys by getting a guy like Tebow when he was not needed in New York. Woody and the FO have made multiple bone headed decisions these past few years (and the 2012 off-season took the cake), and THAT and THAT ALONE is the reason the Jets aren't contending for the Super Bowl this year or next year. Darrelle Revis could die tomorrow (don't jizz your pants with that thought) and we still wouldn't be any closer to winning the Super Bowl in the near future.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#92 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

This is a ESPN article from 2001 and is a list of trades that mostly didn't work out for the teams that gave away the star player.

The List: Most lopsided trades in sport history
Page 2 staff

Jaromir Jagr was dealt last week, and the baseball trading deadline is less than two weeks away.So, Page 2 figured the time is right to explore the most lopsided trades in sports history.

Here are Page 2's choices:

1. Red Sox sell the Babe

The Deal: Looking for cash to finance the musical "No, No, Nanette," Red Sox owner Harry Frazee sold baseball's greatest player to the Yankees for $100,000, plus a $300,000 loan, in 1920.

The Impact: Well ... ever heard of the "Curse of the Bambino"? Babe Ruth hit 665 of his 714 career homers for the Yankees, including 54 in his first season in the Bronx. He led the Yankees to seven World Series appearances and four titles, and the greatest dynasty in the history of professional sports was born.

The Red Sox, who won their fifth World Series behind Ruth in 1918, haven't won another crown since the deal. "No, No, Nanette" ended up being a hit, but the good folks of Boston are still paying for it.

2. Colts trade Elway to Broncos

John Elway wrote his legend in Denver, not Baltimore.
The Deal: When No. 1 pick John Elway refused to play in Baltimore, the Colts traded the draft rights to the Stanford quarterback to Denver in exchange for quarterback Mark Hermann, the rights to offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 draft, which ended up being guard Ron Solt.

The Impact: Elway became a legend in Denver, where he won more games (148) than any quarterback in NFL history and led the Broncos to five Super Bowl appearances, winning two. He finished his 16-year career ranked second in passing yardage (51,475), third in TD passes (300) and first in fourth-quarter comebacks (47).

Hinton played the first seven of his 13 NFL seasons with the Colts. He was selected to seven Pro Bowls and chosen All-Pro five times. Hermann, a journeyman quarterback who threw 36 interceptions and just 16 TD passes in his 11-year career, played just five games for the Colts in the first of his two stints with the team. Solt played in the NFL for nine seasons, including the first five with the Colts.

3. Nets send Doc to 76ers

The Deal: Embattled Nets owner Roy Boe sold Dr. J to Philadelphia for $3 million on Oct. 20, 1976. After completing the deal, Sixers owner F. Eugene Dixon, who also gave Erving a $3 million raise, called Doc "the Babe Ruth of basketball."

The Impact: Erving took the Sixers to the NBA Finals four times and won a championship in 1983. An 11-time NBA All-Star, Erving was the NBA's MVP in 1981 and one of the most exciting players the game has ever seen.

Nets season-ticket holders sued the team for a refund and ended up getting their money back. Still struggling financially, the Nets were forced to move from Long Island to New Jersey after the 1976-77 season.

4. Celtics get the Chief and first-round pick (McHale)

The Deal: On June 9, 1980, the Celtics acquired two-thirds of their Big Three in one deal. In a blockbuster trade with Golden State, Boston received center Robert Parish and the No. 3 pick in the 1980 draft, which they used to select forward Kevin McHale. In return, the Warriors received the No. 1 pick in the draft, which they used to take center Joe Barry Carroll, and the No. 13 choice, which they used on guard Rickey Brown.

The impact: Parish and McHale teamed with Larry Bird to form one of the best frontlines in NBA history. Both were named to the list of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players, and Boston won three championships and reached five NBA Finals during their careers in Beantown.

Carroll played 6 seasons with the Warriors and averaged more than 20 points in four of those seasons, including a career-high 24.1 in 1982-83. However, Golden State reached the playoffs only once with Carroll in the middle. Brown played just five NBA seasons and never averaged more than six points per game.

5. Pedro goes from L.A. to Montreal

The Deal: After going 10-5 as a Dodgers rookie in 1993, Pedro Martinez was traded to Montreal in a straight-up deal for second baseman Delino DeShields.

The Impact: Martinez went 55-33 in four seasons in Montreal and won his first Cy Young Award in 1997, when he went 17-8 with a microscopic ERA of 1.90. After that season, Montreal dealt Pedro to Boston in exchange for minor-league pitchers Carl Pavano and Tony Armas Jr. (In case, you're wondering why that deal isn't on our list, it's because the cash-strapped Expos would have lost Martinez to free agency. The Dodgers certainly could have afforded to keep him). Since then, Pedro has won two more Cy Youngs and made his case to be included on the list of the best pitchers of all-time.

As for Deshields, he played just three seasons in L.A. and never hit better than .256.

6. Ryan Express steams into California

The Deal: Dec. 10, 1971, ranks as a day that will live in infamy for Mets fans. That's the day the Amazins dealt Nolan Ryan, along with pitcher Don Rose, outfielder Leroy Stanton and catcher Francisco Estrada to California in exchange for shortstop Jim Fregosi.

The Impact: Ryan, who was just 24 at the time of the trade, went on to pitch 22 more seasons and post 296 of his 324 career wins after the deal. He struck out more batters than any pitcher in major-league history (5,714) and threw a record seven no-hitters.

Fregosi, whom the Mets had hoped would solve their third-base problems, was hampered by injuries and batted just .233 in 146 games for New York. He was sold to Texas midway through the '73 season.

7. Reds deal away "aging" Frank Robinson

The Deal: Saying that Frank Robinson was "an old 30," Reds GM Bill DeWitt traded the Hall of Fame outfielder to Baltimore in exchange for pitchers Milt Pappas and Jack Baldschun and outfielder Dick Simpson on Dec. 9, 1965.

The Impact: In his first season with the O's, Robinson won the Triple Crown and was named MVP of the ALCS and World Series as Baltimore claimed its first championship. In his six seasons with the Orioles, Robinson led the team to four World Series.

Pappas pitched for the Reds for just 2 seasons, going 30-29. Baldschun had a 1-5 record in his two seasons in Cincinnati. Simpson also played just two seasons with the Reds, hitting .238 in '66 and .259 in '67.

8. Herschel deal builds Dallas dynasty

The Deal: In a deal that involved a whopping six players and 12 draft picks, the Cowboys laid the groundwork for their Super Bowl teams of the 1990s by trading running back Herschel Walker to Minnesota on Oct. 12, 1989. In exchange for Walker, Dallas received five players, six conditional draft choices and a 1992 first-round pick

The Impact: Two of those draft choices turned out to be running back Emmitt Smith and safety Darren Woodson, key players who helped the Cowboys win three Super Bowls in four seasons.

Jimmy Johnson used all those extra draft choices to wheel and deal through the 1990s -- the picks eventually involved 15 teams and 55 players as they were combined with other choices and traded around the NFL. One such deal helped the 'Boys land the No. 1 pick in the 1991 draft, which they used on defensive tackle Russell Maryland.

Walker played just 2 years in Minnesota and never had a 1,000-yard season for the Vikes. Minnesota felt the running back was the missing piece to its Super Bowl puzzle, but the team never won a playoff game with Walker, and the loss of the draft picks seriously hurt a team that consistently contended.

9. Bulls beam up Scottie

The Deal: On draft night 1987, the Chicago Bulls found a second banana for Michael Jordan when they acquired Scottie Pippen in a deal with Seattle. The Sonics traded Pippen, the fifth pick in the draft, to Chicago in exchange for the eighth pick, center Olden Polynice, a second-round pick and the option to switch first-round picks in 1989.

The Impact: Playing alongside Jordan, Pippen helped the Bulls to six championships and was named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history.

Polynice has played for five teams in his 13-season NBA career, including two stints with Seattle.

10. Portland no Promised Land for Moses

The Deal: After taking Moses Malone in the ABA dispersal draft, the Blazers traded his rights to the Buffalo Braves in exchange for a 1978 first-round draft pick on Oct. 18, 1976.

The Impact: How bad was this deal? Well, consider that just six days after the trade, the Braves dealt Malone to Houston and received two first-round picks in return -- double what Portland had netted.

But both teams were stupid to give up on big Mo. In his Hall of Fame career, Malone averaged 20.6 points and 12.2 rebounds per game. He played six seasons in Houston, where he won two MVP awards and carried the Rockets to the 1981 Finals. He won another MVP in Philadelphia, where he won his only title in 1983.

Honorable mentions
Canucks trade Cam Neely to Bruins with a No. 1 pick (Glen Wesley) for center Barry Pederson in 1986.

Cubs trade Lou Brock, Jack Spring and Paul Toth to Cardinals for Ernie Broglio, Bobby Shantz and Doug Clemens in 1964.

Mets trade Tom Seaver to Reds for Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson, Dan Norman, and Pat Zachry.

St. Louis Hawks trade Bill Russell to Boston for Ed Macauley and Cliff Hagan in 1956.

Orioles trade Curt Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch to Astros for Glenn Davis in 1991.

White Sox trade Sammy Sosa to Cubs for George Bell in 1992.

Colts trade Marshall Faulk to Rams for second- and fifth-round picks in 1999 draft.

Phillies trade Ryne Sandberg and Larry Bowa to Cubs for Ivan DeJesus in 1982.

Warriors trade Wilt Chamberlain to 76ers for Paul Neumann, Connie Dierking, Lee Shaffer and cash in 1965.

Bucks trade Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Lakers for Elmore Smith, Junior Bridgeman, Brian Winters and Dave Meyers.

New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#93 User is offline   MlorinczJ Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 27 January 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

This is a ESPN article from 2001 and is a list of trades that mostly didn't work out for the teams that gave away the star player.

That's all fine and dandy, but you can't necessarily compare the Jets situation to every one of those examples. The bottom line is, we have more holes than a block of Swiss cheese and paying Revis would cripple this team. Is he worth 16M a year? Probably, he's that damn good. But thanks to Tanny, the Jets are not in a position to make that a reality without hamstringing our ability to resign our own guys and attract quality free agents. If we sign Revis, we'll feel the ramifications of that financial burden for the next half-decade. Would you still be on board if it prevented us from resigning Mangold/Wilkerson/Coples/etc. and we still couldn't adequately fill current holes? It's a dangerous game when a team has as many needs as ours, and I for one vote that we start the rebuilding process immediately. This is NOT a Super Bowl team...
"I thought he was good?!? If he prays when he scores. Everyone knew him for praying. That only can mean he scores :)"

Quote from my wife when I told her I liked Tebow, but that he sucks as a QB

#94 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

A $12 million cap hit if Revis is traded also is crippling...for a team that isn't a Super Bowl team, it shouldnt be considered any kind of a "burden"to sign the best CB in the game
Posted ImagePosted Image

#95 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

For a team with so little talent, it's depressing how many people are considering cutting the best player on the roster. Even more so when he also happens to be the best player at his position in the league as well as one of the best on his side of the ball!
It's certainly going to be expensive to keep Revis, but it also won't be cheap shipping him to another team. Plus, if any deal involves draft picks, you're exchanging somebody who you know can play at an All-pro level week in, week out (though his injury is a question mark), for rookies who have proven nothing in the NFL.
Saying you would take multiple first rounders for him is all well and good, but you have to ask what type of first rounders they would be. If you're offered a mid-to-late first rounders, you're trading the number one CB in the league for at best the 16th best player in the draft plus whatever other later selections are thrown in. Included among those could be a starter or two, but you're just as likely to get backups and role players. You don't deal a player of Revis' calibre unless it's for a sure thing - SHJ has referred to him as no less than a potential future HOFer but would still consider a parting of ways which I find puzzling!
Revis' reaction to the news the Jets were considering trading him also said a lot because it unsettled him. That's not the sign of a player who wants out! And it's not as though he's been a problem player either He may have held out twice, with the second being very frustrating (arguably more so given how public it was with Hard Knocks' cameras in town). But when he reported late for camp as a rookie, it wasn't as though he was alone. Quickly going through a selection of other picks from the top half of the 2007 first round, JaMarcus Russell, Calvin Johnson, Levi Brown and Adrian Peterson all missed time at training camp; back then holdouts were far more frequent with the lack of rookie pay scale.
One thing's for sure - I don't want this team to become the austerity Jets, refusing to pay genuine, top end talent. Instead we've wasted so much money overpaying other players on the roster and giving them unmerited long term extensions. It's those kind of deals that have put us in an awkward position with the cap and that the new general manager now has to deal with. We can get better quality players than the likes of Sanchez, Calvin Pace and even David Harris on lower deals because they're either underachievers or middle of the road starters. That's where this time will find genuine savings without necessarily impacting hugely on the team's overall talent level. Even with Cromartie on the roster still, letting Revis will go will negative affect the team.

#96 User is offline   MlorinczJ Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

At the end of the day, Revis is a cornerback, not a quarterback. So why pay him quarterback money? Look how welll signing Mario Williams worked out for the Bills, or Haynesworth with the Redskins, or Asomugha with the Eagles. That kind of defensive money is honestly hard to justify outside of highly productive and talented edge rushers in my opinion. And statistically, we all know Revis had one AMAZING year followed by a few great years, but it's not like he's getting better. If anything, the argument could be made that his injury and age likely ensure that we've already seen his best, and he'll only get worse throughout the life of the contract. His rate of regression is impossible to determine, but it's practically a given that he's not getting any better. If this was a 24/25 year old Revis, pay the man. But I don't want to lock up QB type money in a defensive player who will be 34 when the contract expires.
"I thought he was good?!? If he prays when he scores. Everyone knew him for praying. That only can mean he scores :)"

#97 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Adrian Peterson says hello
Posted ImagePosted Image

#98 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

At least try negotiating with Revis. Idzik just got the job, he didn't have time to speak with Revis' agents and see what type of numbers it will take. I would pay him $12-14 mil a season, that would comfortably make him the highest paid CB in the game.

I would trade Cromartie, which saves over $8 mil in cap space for us this season, and saves like $10-9 mil in cap space. In 2014 we could also release Sanchez and Holmes which saves a lot. We could also release David Harris for a saving of $5 mil.

Our cap situation isn't bad after the 2013 season. They can afford to pay Revis, especially if they traded Cromartie who's value is at its highest. I think Revis will be great in his 30s as well, his flawless technique and smarts will keep him great.
Posted Image

#99 User is offline   MlorinczJ Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 28 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Adrian Peterson says hello

The words "defensive money" say hello. Peterson can keep a team in a game in a way Revis could never dream of. He literally carried that team on his back to the playoffs. To emphasize my point, how many games would the Vikings have won without Peterson vs. how many more games would we have won with Revis? I stand united with Secondhand on this matter, as I doubt Revis would've brought us to .500

Edit: and Peterson's contract averages about 2 mil a year less than Revis will be requesting.

#100 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostMlorinczJ, on 28 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

The words "defensive money" say hello. Peterson can keep a team in a game in a way Revis could never dream of. He literally carried that team on his back to the playoffs. To emphasize my point, how many games would the Vikings have won without Peterson vs. how many more games would we have won with Revis? I stand united with Secondhand on this matter, as I doubt Revis would've brought us to .500

Edit: and Peterson's contract averages about 2 mil a year less than Revis will be requesting.

Are you kidding me right now? They're both tremendous players and keep their team in games. I honestly hope they do trade him now so you can all bitch about the defense next year. You're so concerned about saving money but you neglected to answer what the benefit would be of trading Revis when it would be a $12,000,000 hit against the cap
Posted ImagePosted Image

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users