NYJetsFan.com Forums: Rex Out After 2013? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

"We're not a bad football team; we just do stupid stuff," said Eric Decker
Jetsfan115 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 10:28 AM) i need to install handrails with all you peeps hopping aboard the fire izdik train, not joking anymore huh?
santana Icon : (28 October 2014 - 11:58 AM) I've been sayin fire idzik since thanksgiving 2010
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 01:11 PM) When you started hating Idzik it was before you could rationally hate him, there was no reason. Chances are the next GM and coach we hire will suck as well, the Jets are just one of that organizations that can never get it right
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 02:46 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (28 October 2014 - 03:24 PM) harlem did you start brady or rivers
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 03:41 PM) I held out for Sunday and started Brady
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 03:42 PM) I have Gronk on my team in that league too so that worked out famously
santana Icon : (28 October 2014 - 03:44 PM) yeah that combo is OP
Jetsman05 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 04:52 PM) Harlem not in our league... doesn't matter
santana Icon : (28 October 2014 - 06:17 PM) you don't matter!
santana Icon : (28 October 2014 - 06:17 PM) and that wasn't a red card RIP SWANSEA
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 08:20 PM) Manish is really annoying with his vendetta against Idzik though, you can tell it's personal because he doesn't have his scoops anymore.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 08:20 PM) Since Idzik has became GM, Manish has lost all of his sources.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 08:21 PM) its clear that this bothers Manish deeply and hes throwing little tantrums about it
azjetfan Icon : (28 October 2014 - 08:57 PM) Manish should not have a job. He and Idzik should be fired
SecondHandJets Icon : (28 October 2014 - 09:16 PM) Hey bitches
SecondHandJets Icon : (28 October 2014 - 09:16 PM) How's everyone enjoying your New York Jets?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 October 2014 - 09:28 PM) Jose Canseco just pulled a Plaxico Burress.
azjetfan Icon : (28 October 2014 - 10:01 PM) Shot himself in the leg?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 October 2014 - 10:05 PM) Shot his middle finger
MikeGangGree... Icon : (28 October 2014 - 10:09 PM) Suck for the Duck
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:57 AM) Milber didnt die for this
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:30 PM) How pissed are we all going to be if Vick comes in and wins a bunch of games knocking us out of the top 5 picks?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:32 PM) We are sitting in either 2 or 3 depending on the tie breaker with Jax
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:32 PM) If Oakland can pull out a couple wins we would be in good shape.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:35 PM) Vick=$$$
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:09 PM) THE BEETS
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:10 PM) Patty mayonnaise never gave up that poon
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 07:51 PM) Game 7
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:54 PM) Forget the Beets
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:54 PM) forget game 7
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:54 PM) THE KNICKS
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:07 PM) No one cares about the Knicks
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:07 PM) NO ONE LIKES MILLHOUSE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:14 PM) No one cares about Santana
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:15 PM) after we traded you
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:36 PM) Well fine! I'll start another fanboard with black jack and hookers! Infact forget the fanboard!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:27 PM) Was the best time of your playing days the Monday night game against Dallas in 05??
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:31 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=3MQnxQdvIgY
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:32 PM) just go to 2:50
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:33 PM) and 4:15
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:48 AM) everyone i have a confession
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:48 AM) santana is a solid individual
Chaos Icon : (Today, 07:41 AM) hacked?
Chaos Icon : (Today, 07:41 AM) Brady vs Denver or Brees vs Carolina?
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Rex Out After 2013?

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Woody growing tired of Rex's circus?

The New York Jets' 2013 brass appeared together in public for the first time Wednesday, with owner Woody Johnson flying to the Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Ala., to hang out with new general manager John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan.

The Big Three will do it again Thursday under more formal circumstances, as Johnson will introduce Idzik in yet another one-week-after-the-fact news conference. It'll be Woody, John and Rex, probably wearing their green hued ties (a Jets staple) and acting like they've known each other forever.

But let's call this for what it is -- an arranged marriage between a neophyte GM and a polarizing coach.

Of course, the matchmaker here is Johnson, who, as it turns out, may not be as devoted to Ryan as everybody thinks.

Ryan was painted as the owner's pet two weeks ago at the previous one-week-after-the-fact news conference. In the season-ending presser, Johnson acted like 6-10 never happened. He professed his faith in Ryan, even saying the embattled coach (so we thought) would participate in the GM selection process. Johnson was sharply criticized for what was depicted as a Rex crush.

Behind the scenes, Johnson has been giving off a different vibe. While he admires Ryan's innate leadership skills and his ability to relate to players, Johnson isn't blind to the other stuff, according to people familiar with his thinking. As one person said, "He's tired of the circus."

Former Denver Broncos GM Ted Sundquist, who interviewed for the vacancy two weeks ago, was struck by Johnson's candid, evenhanded assessment of Ryan in their meeting. He expected something of a rah-rah evaluation, considering the tenor of the season-ending news conference, but it didn't come off that way.

Sundquist, sharing details of the interview because he wants football fans to understand the dynamics of the process, said he actually posed the question to Johnson: Why is Rex your guy?

"He wasn't as -- look, I know how that press conference came out," Sundquist told ESPNNewYork.com, referring to the Woody-Rex lovefest. "I'm not sure if that was accurate. I think Mr. Johnson realizes there are weaknesses and deficiencies there.

"He was adamant about how the players love Rex, their connection with him," Sundquist continued. "But then he was like, 'That said ... ' -- and he listed X, Y and Z, the things Rex needs to improve upon."

In public, Johnson comes across as though he's mesmerized by Ryan's larger-than-life personality. It was the same deal in the aftermath of the Tim Tebow trade. Johnson made a few silly comments about his fondness for Tebow ("Can't have too much Tebow") and, as we've come to find out, the owner wasn't initially on board with it.

The point is, it's hard to gauge Johnson's true feelings because what he says publicly and what he believes can be two different things. His critics say the line gets blurred sometimes, leading to problems.

So why retain Ryan if he has concerns?

Ryan has two years and more than $6 million remaining on his contract, so that's probably a big part of the reason. Johnson has to eat money for firing offensive coordinator Tony Sparano after only one year, and he may have to eat big money if they decide to part ways with Mark Sanchez. There's probably a limit to how much money he will devour.

The landscape changes next season. If 2013 is a failure, which probably means no playoffs for the third straight season, Ryan is a goner. It makes him a lame duck.

Enter, Idzik, who is charged with rebuilding a franchise with the coach who helped put them in this mess. It's not an ideal situation. A lot of GM wannabes would run from a situation like this -- and some probably did.

Idzik faces an enormous challenge on many levels, but his relationship with Ryan will be one of the keys to the job. Former colleagues say Idzik is quiet, but resolute in his beliefs. So is Ryan, except no one ever described him as quiet.

Ryan can be a persuasive presence, especially in the draft room. He didn't want to draft Stephen Hill last year, and the scouting department did, putting former GM Mike Tannenbaum in the middle. He sided with the scouts on that one, but there were other times when Ryan got his way.

Now Idzik slides into the big chair. He has worked with player-friendly coaches like Ryan in the past -- Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, Pete Carroll -- but he's never had a coach with an infamous tattoo and an aversion to red lights.

This ought to be interesting. This much we know: Johnson -- the matchmaker -- is tired of being a laughingstock. He wants a grownup in the room. We'll see if he made the right match.

http://espn.go.com/n...rex-ryan-circus

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I don't care what others say, I like Rex and I want him to succeed here. I have a feeling this organization is going to really take a step back. We'll probably fire Rex after next season because with the bad contracts its going to be hard to improve this team, then we'll hire some rookie coach who will probably be worse than Rex and won't bring excellent defensive scheme with him. SO not only does our offense suck, but our defense sucks as well, especailly since we traded away Revis and drafted a JAG.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Should Sunquist really be talking openly to the media about the content of his interview?

#4 User is offline   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I hope he's out. Should of been out this year. He's not going to learn the offense. He cares about defense only. Ozzie Newsome was right about Rex

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users