NYJetsFan.com Forums: My Big Offseason Thread: - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:41 PM) It won't be a 4-0 like last time we played them.
santana Icon : (Today, 12:42 PM) I was just trying to instill some hope
santana Icon : (Today, 12:42 PM) so that i can go hala madrid crazy later on
santana Icon : (Today, 12:42 PM) haha
santana Icon : (Today, 12:43 PM) i'm excited for olympiakos vs dortmund
santana Icon : (Today, 12:43 PM) ill probably wear the dortmund jersey today
santana Icon : (Today, 12:45 PM) or perhaps the real madrid in dark green :D
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:45 PM) never know with the Anfield crowd but i don't really like our chances today
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:46 PM) although they are weak in defense and keeper
santana Icon : (Today, 12:48 PM) is mignolet in?
santana Icon : (Today, 12:48 PM) hes been getting a lot of flak
santana Icon : (Today, 12:48 PM) countinho was nice vs qpr though
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:48 PM) yeah Migs is in
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:49 PM) Migs great shot stopper but awful coming off his line, awful distro and awful in the air
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:49 PM) Phil has been hit or miss all season... when he's on, he's special
santana Icon : (Today, 12:49 PM) I think i saw some breakdown that he just runs out to far and then keeps his hands way too far down
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:50 PM) Balotelli and Sterling are going to have to be incredible
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:50 PM) yeah he's really poor at coming out, timing, all of it
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:50 PM) but as a shot stopper hes incredible
santana Icon : (Today, 12:50 PM) Ramos is out i believe
santana Icon : (Today, 12:51 PM) I like varane but hes doubtful also
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:51 PM) yeah Pepe and Varane at the back for Madrid
santana Icon : (Today, 12:51 PM) ITS GONNA BE GUD 05
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:51 PM) Arbeloa(LFC former player) and Marcelo
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:51 PM) nervous
santana Icon : (Today, 12:52 PM) i gotta shower then i'm running down to the bar
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (Today, 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (Today, 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (Today, 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (Today, 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (Today, 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (Today, 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (Today, 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (Today, 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (Today, 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (Today, 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:59 PM) fact
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

My Big Offseason Thread:

#1 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Alright, so I'm babysitting and here we go:

First off, we're trading Revis. I don't care that you don't want to. It's going to happen and it's going to happen this season. I'm using Walter Football for my draft pick database and I'm using nyjetscap.com for my salary numbers.

1. Trade Revis to Minnesota Vikings for Percy Harvin, their 1st rounder (#23), their 3rd rounder and a conditional pick next year (that can escalate based on Revis' performance). Why the Jets would do it: we can't resign Revis (don't turn this into another Revis debate, there's a 4 page thread on that already). according to our HC, he wants the FO to get some offensive players and Harvin fits the bill. According to our GM, "the draft is going to be the lifeline" of this team so we'll be stockpiling picks. Why Minny would do it: to get to the top of the NFC North, they have to stop Rodgers, stop Megatron and stop Brandon Marshall. They're not going to get it done with AJ Jefferson starting for 8 weeks. Their draft pick is low enough that it won't seem too expensive. Lastly, Frasier and Harvin absolutely hate each other and Harvin was placed on IR following a shouting match with Frasier in the lockerroom. Harvin asked for a trade a year ago, and he's on the last year of his rookie deal. When healthy and motivated, Harvin is a premier athlete and one of the best WRs in the league.

Why would the Jets want Harvin? We're switching the the WC offense and we'll need players who can make plays after the catch. Getting Harvin on the last year of his contract is risky, not only because he can walk in 2014, but also because he's got a lot of Santonio Holmes in him... which brings me to my next point: have Harvin play his ass off for a new deal, like we all know he will, then, in 2014 CUT HOLMES. If Holmes is cut in 2013, that amounts to a cap savings of $1.2M but if he's cut in 2014, that's a whopping $8.25M off the cap! That's about what Harvin will sign for. To recap, in 2013, we'll have Holmes and Harvin running slant routes and then next year, we'll pay Harvin what we owe Holmes and let Holmes go.

2. Cuts:

Jason Smith ($12)
Calvin Pace ($8.56)
Bart Scott ($7.15)
Eric Smith ($3M)
Tim Tebow ($1.53)

That's a cap savings of $33M, bringing us down from $146M to $113. We're now under the projected cap of $121M by $9M, that's before restructuring guys like Harris and Pouha.

I'm not going to go through resigning every single FA, but I do believe that we need to bring back Landry, Brandon Moore and Matt Slausen in that order. That will probably eat up most of our cap room, with the restructuring of existing contracts giving us the room to sign our draft picks.

3. The Draft:

Now this is of course dependent on who we have on our board in 3 months, and as we just watched Te'o cost himself about 20 spots, there's a lot that can happen between today and the draft. I'm using Walter Football's mock as a rough guide for where some guys will go.

Also, having watched Idzik's presser, it's pretty obvious that we'll be looking to trade down out of the #9 spot. So that's what I'm going to have us do:

The NYJ trade the # 9 overall (1350 points) to the Bengals for their #21 (800 points) and #37 (via Oakland 530 points) and a 2014 3rd round pick. Why the Jets make this trade: I don't see us taking a QB in the first round and this draft plateaus after the Top 5. We need to fill multiple holes and need to bank some picks. Why Cincy makes this trade: Cincy is poised to take over the AFC North, but they're one player away. Their safeties are hot garbage and if they want to make the SB, they'll have to stop Pitta, Heath and then Gronk and Hernandez. If they have a shot of getting a guy like Kenny Vaccaro to shore up their secondary, they'll pull the trigger.

Okay, so here are my draft picks:

#21: Dion Jordan (OLB). I'm hoping he falls because of the injury. He might blow everyone away at the combine and become a Top 10 pick, so who knows. If he's not here, I see that Ezekiel Ansah is being mocked in the early 20 range and is drawing some JPP comparisons.

#23: Manti Te'o. If Chance Warmack falls, this is the guy we should get. If Alec Ogeltree is still on the board, we'll choose the best ILB from these two. Our LBers are a joke and since I just cut two of them, we're just left with Harris. Or Run D was pathetic last season. This will help that.

#37: Barrrt Jones (G/C). If Jonathan Cooper falls, then we'll draft him. Either way, whoever is going to be our QB, we'll need to keep him upright. I doubt we resign both Moore and Slauson and if Ducasse starts a game this season, you can pencil in a concussion to whoever is behind C.

#41: Tyler Eifert (TE). Not that I'm a big fan, but he's the best TE available at this spot and we desperately need a TE. Keller is going to become a FA and although I think he might come back, he's still not a good blocker and he's becoming injury prone.

#73: Best CB available. I'm not going to pretend I know the difference between Nickell Robey, Will Davis or Blidi Wreh-Wilson. We got it right between Revis, Aaron Ross and Leon Hall so I trust our guys to take whoever is better to replace Revis down the line... even though no one will ever replace Revis.

#83: Khaseem Greene (LB). Don't know too much about him, but EJ has been texting me about this kid. Apparently he thinks that Greene is going to fly up draft boards and become a last 1st rounder. Whatever, I see him mocked here. If the FO feels comfortable with McIntyre starting, I can see them going for a S like Robert Lester or a RT like Chris Faulk. I actually prefer Faulk here because I think the OL is a bigger need than another LBer since I just drafted 2 in the 1st round... but considering we're so thin at LBer, it may not be a bad thing.

#103: Zac Dysert (QB). This guy is getting a ton of Ben Rothlisberger comparisons, plus he looks like Sunshine from Rememeber the Titans. Let him ride the pine for a year and hopefully he can become what we've been missing.

5th Round: Draft whoever falls, like if Matheui or Denard Robinson is still around, grab them. We need more athletes on this team.

Baby woke up, and I'm pretty much done anyway. Discuss.

#2 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I can see them picking up Dysert, I just dont think Dion Jordan falls to 21 though after trading down (I'd like to have him though). Regardless I think R/LOLB should be taken with the 1st 2 picks (whatever they're going to be). Don't think Mathieu lasts all the way until the 5th...I would have no qualms about picking him up in the 4th though
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 26 January 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

I can see them picking up Dysert, I just dont think Dion Jordan falls to 21 though after trading down (I'd like to have him though). Regardless I think R/LOLB should be taken with the 1st 2 picks (whatever they're going to be). Don't think Mathieu lasts all the way until the 5th...I would have no qualms about picking him up in the 4th though

I have a major man-crush on Dysert. I'm gonna get more annoying as the draft gets closer.

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

We lose cap space by trading Revis, so instead of 9 mil of cap space we would have 5 mil
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

I have a major man-crush on Dysert. I'm gonna get more annoying as the draft gets closer.

Is he 2013's Stephen Hill?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

We lose cap space by trading Revis, so instead of 9 mil of cap space we would have 5 mil

I still don't think that that's accurate. You're looking at the "dead money" column, if a player is traded, his contract doesn't become "dead money".

#7 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Also not shocked EJ is talking up a Rutgers product
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 26 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Is he 2013's Stephen Hill?

Nah. He's actually going to be good.

#9 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

I still don't think that that's accurate. You're looking at the "dead money" column, if a player is traded, his contract doesn't become "dead money".

The guy who runs that Jets cap site had a article explaining how they lose cap space by trading Revis.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 26 January 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

The guy who runs that Jets cap site had a article explaining how they lose cap space by trading Revis.

Link it.

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

The second hangup comes on the Jets end. The information I have on Revisí contract tells me that he should carry a dead money hit of $12 million in 2013, not $9 million as reported, if the Jets were to trade him. That $12 million comes from an $18 million dollar option bonus he received in 2011 that was prorated from 2011 thru 2016. He is scheduled to count for $9 million against what looks to be a somewhat type cap for the team, so they would lose a net of $3 million for the year plus whatever draft pick and/or player salary they get back for him. So its difficult for both sides to make a deal.

http://www.nyjetscap...elle-revis.html
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

That's good info, but that's based on him tracking the prorated bonuses and bumping his unofficial dead money number by $3m, that's kinda murky.

#13 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

SHJ the GM.

Has a ring to it.

(No it doesn't)

#14 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 26 January 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

SHJ the GM.

Has a ring to it.

(No it doesn't)

Haters gonna hate.

#15 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 January 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Haters gonna hate.

Coming from the biggest one on this board.

I do like these threads though. People willing to atleast put their shit out there. Good job bud.

Also, Harvin is nothing like Santonio.

#16 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

i don't agree with number 1 at all. lets say we do trade rveis which may or may not happen. i don't want it to happen and think its a bad idea but i'm gonna ignore that for sake of argument. Harvin is a bad idea. we already have a 10mil a year WR in holmes and harvin will cost just as much. harvin is also an injury prone WR with concussion and migrane issues. we cant afford to have that much money tied in up WRs we'll never get enough value for revis. no team will give up a stud QB. only way i see him going is for a stud OLB who can rush the passer. and again no team is trading one.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 28 January 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

i don't agree with number 1 at all. lets say we do trade rveis which may or may not happen. i don't want it to happen and think its a bad idea but i'm gonna ignore that for sake of argument. Harvin is a bad idea. we already have a 10mil a year WR in holmes and harvin will cost just as much. harvin is also an injury prone WR with concussion and migrane issues. we cant afford to have that much money tied in up WRs we'll never get enough value for revis. no team will give up a stud QB. only way i see him going is for a stud OLB who can rush the passer. and again no team is trading one.

Not sure if you read everything I wrote, but I have us releasing Holmes in 2014 so we would t hav both Harvin and Holmes making $10M

#18 User is offline   arizonaJETSfan Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Harvin does seem an injury liability. I do think it SHOULD be a priority to resign B Easy as well. He will come cheap & we know while he may not know how to act in public, he is a QBs wooby. I am DEF up for Dirty thirty comin back! I am all for stock piling draft picks...sadly the g@ytriots kick our asses in that respect. Keller will be a casualty which is also why I think Edwards is a needed addition. Im not certain about our TEs on our roster, but I will leave that to the great minds. Epps didnt get much of a chance (other than that tebag throw that got his knee tore up. Are we lookin at RT as a priority? or are we thinking Howard is good enough? Is Vlad ever goin to be worth his salt or we lookin to add sorely needed depth. I Do think on D our priority is our LBs & a CB (if a trade for EITHER cro or revis goes through) Im not feeling safe with Wilson as "THE MAN" on the opposite side.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 27 January 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Not sure if you read everything I wrote, but I have us releasing Holmes in 2014 so we would t hav both Harvin and Holmes making $10M

Thats even worse. SO we esstinally trade away revis to get havrin so we have some WR help then trade away holmes and were back to only having 1 viable WR ATM? and harvin isn't any better then holmes. the problem is o-line and QB more then WR. IN what world is harvin in exchange for revis and holmes help us in any way?
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 28 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

SO we esstinally trade away revis to get havrin so we have some WR help then trade away holmes and were back to only having 1 viable WR ATM?

That's funny coming from you. You don't think Hill is going to be a starter in 2014?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users