NYJetsFan.com Forums: Darrelle Revis' Exit Would Spell Doom For Rex Ryan - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) boca represent
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) http://gfycat.com/Of...ingAmazonparrot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) that is the most raul goal i have ever seen
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) What's our wish list for HC next year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) BILL LAZOR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) Jets starting Geno again.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) FIRE IDZIK,
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) I really hope the JEts completely clean house this offseason and get rid of everyone, it's time.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:54 AM) We need to keep getting embarrassed every week to ensure that. That is why I don't give a shit about getting destroyed, it makes the team look like more of a joke and forces Woody to make real changes
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:07 AM) Harbaugh would be amazing...but because it makes sense it won't be done
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (Today, 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (Today, 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (Today, 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (Today, 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (Today, 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Darrelle Revis' Exit Would Spell Doom For Rex Ryan

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Interesting read.

http://sports.yahoo....-010841121.html

INDIANAPOLIS As coach Rex Ryan grasps the fact that the New York Jets are apparently in the market to trade cornerback Darrelle Revis, he was likely hit with an overwhelming feeling:

He's a Dead Coach Walking.

How long will Darrelle Revis and Rex Ryan be together on the New York Jets? (USA Today Sports)As the Jets spent last weekend at the NFL scouting combine shopping Revis in passive-aggressive style (New York isn't calling anybody, but team management was all ears when multiple teams called to hold preliminary talks, according to sources), Ryan is now faced with what he must do to avoid the near-certain end of his tenure.

Does he go to owner Woody Johnson and demand that the team sign Revis to a contract extension in hopes of rebuilding his scattered defense? Or does he let the likely trade play out and hope that he can somehow turn around a team that will be led by quarterback Mark Sanchez?

Recently hired Jets general manager John Idzik declined to respond to calls from Yahoo! Sports on Monday, preferring to stand by his remarks from last Thursday. Idzik spent eight minutes at the combine that day trying to deflect questions about whether Revis would be traded. At one point, Idzik said, "With respect to Darrelle, we have always wanted him to be a part of the New York Jets."

However, Idzik has yet to call agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod to discuss parameters of an extension past the 2013 season, according to a source familiar with the circumstances. Revis can opt out of his contract after the upcoming season and the Jets can't franchise him at that point, making him eligible for free agency in 2014.

While that's enticing for Revis, who is coming back from a season-ending knee injury in 2012 and could become one of the league's top-paid players, it's also not necessarily what he wants. Multiple sources have said that Revis desires to finish his career with the Jets. Additionally, Revis' top sponsor, Nike, would like Revis to remain in New York, according to a source.

Revis' desire may not matter, though. Although Idzik has been in contact with Revis twice this offseason in an effort to quell any talk of a trade, word has quietly gotten around the NFL that the Jets are willing to part with him.

Sanchez threw 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions last season. (USA Today Sports)That appears to be part of a large rebuilding process that figures to last beyond 2013, when the team can finally part with Sanchez.

Two sources indicated this weekend that there is nearly zero market for Sanchez, particularly with a contract that calls for an $8.25 million guarantee this season.

"Unless there's something I don't understand, Mark is going to be there," one source said.

If the Jets parted ways with Sanchez after the '13 season, the question becomes who will be the coach to pick the next quarterback? Ryan, whose background is primarily on defense and has gone two straight seasons without reaching the playoffs, could be out of the picture.

The question for teams wanting to acquire Revis is whether they want to do it now or wait until later. Any team getting Revis would likely want to do an extension with him as part of the trade.

Revis is expected to fetch in excess of $16 million per year. That estimate is based on the eight-year, $132 million contract extension Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson and the six-year, $100 million deal Buffalo defensive end Mario Williams got. Each of those deals were done in the 2012 offseason.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   SoReALSoJetS Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon
  • Interests:THE JETS

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Revis out on the jets all season and they were still #2 in pass defense... I think ryan is fine
"SO REAL SO JETS"
Posted Image

#3 User is online   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostSoReALSoJetS, on 26 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Revis out on the jets all season and they were still #2 in pass defense... I think ryan is fine

With or without revis ryan is on the hot seat
why? because... new york.

As the Jets spent last weekend at the NFL scouting combine shopping Revis in passive-aggressive style (New York isn't calling anybody, but team management was all ears when multiple teams called to hold preliminary talks, according to sources)

listening to offers and scouting makes the jets passive aggressive towards revis lofl
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#4 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

View Postsantana, on 26 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

why? because... new york.

Or because he is coming off two horrible seasons.

#5 User is online   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

<insert shotty sparano screwed up sanchez tebow suck rant here>
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#6 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

While we all want Revis here if he leaves or not it will have absolutely zero impact on Ryan's job. Ryan's job is in no way tied to Revis and never will be. If Ryan's job is tied to anyone its his loyalty to Sanchez. Ultimately Ryan's job depends on whether the Jets turn around for the better. One player on this team no matter how good unless it is the qb that is great isn't going to take the team anywhere.

Tomlinson was one of the best running backs in history and it sure didn't win him a bowl. Peterson hasn't gotten their either. And no corner in the league ever is going to ever is going to make enough impact to turn a team around.Only a great qb is capable of that. Though all that said a great corner can be the missing piece like with the Broncos demise last year in the playoffs because of an over the hill Champ Bailey that got beat bad more than once and was one of the main reasons the Broncos lost. If the Broncos would have had a healthy Revis in their backfield last year the playoff game would have probably turned out different.

Whether Revis was playing or not all last year this team had way to may holes to be a playoff team. Revis in the backfield in 2011 dint make the Jets a playoff team either.

#7 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

• Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 26 February 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Or because he is coming off two horrible seasons.

But only 1 of them finishing under .500.

The author of the article is a moron if he thinks Revis leaving would be doom for Rex. Apparently he didn't watch a single Jets game last year after Revis went down.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#8 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Rex needs to rebuild the defense. I looks like we're going to have a new LBer core and a new secondary in 2013. If he can once again deliver a Top 5 defense, he can blame whatever offensive woes remain on Tanny and survive. I don't think Idzik is going to be given the power to fire Rex after 1 season as GM unless Woody gets completely embarassed.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users