NYJetsFan.com Forums: Peter King On The Importance Of Revis - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) if it wasn't for that injury he suffered in buffalo he would be much more recognized
santana Icon : (15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM) top lad solid pro tough as hell
Mr_Jet Icon : (15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM) http://media-cache-a...0fa7d5eef52.jpg
santana Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:11 AM) TITTIES
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 July 2014 - 10:37 AM) ^I 2nd that
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 July 2014 - 08:54 PM) ***crickets***
RetireChrebet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 03:03 AM) My main concern this season is the quarterback play, he or they need to limit turnovers. Simple as that. Also curious to see what we get out of the secondary. If the two aforementioned play decent football this year it should be a very good season.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 01:24 PM) Football has been gone so long it feels like the Super Bowl was over a year ago. And we still have about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) I still remember the super bowl very clearly
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:37 PM) it was like germany vs brazil
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) HAAAAMES to real
santana Icon : (17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM) the title race is real!
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) soccer :zz:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (18 July 2014 - 08:32 PM) WOOOOOOOO RIC FLAIR!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 July 2014 - 06:06 AM) Training camp starts in 4 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:15 PM) WOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 July 2014 - 07:17 PM) Hes a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM) WHAT THE f*** IS UP BITCHES!!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:42 PM) U want to know what's up?.............
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) I will tell you what is up................
MikeGangGree... Icon : (21 July 2014 - 07:43 PM) TEH BEETS
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 July 2014 - 06:53 AM) training camp starts in 2 days
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM) Just got my tickets to the Jets/Bears game!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (22 July 2014 - 04:39 PM) Going to the Giants and Texans game also. 2 games in 2 days. WOOOOO
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) players are reporting to camp today, tomorrow is the first practice!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 09:36 AM) Football is almost back!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM) You know 0099 is back in the shout box when the FIRE IDZIK drops
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) lol first practice today
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:47 AM) I've been really busy lately, been working 60+ hours a week. plus there hasn't been much to talk about.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM) Yeah this has been the most dead offseason in quite some time
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 09:59 AM) maybe people will start coming back now that camp is starting up
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 July 2014 - 11:46 AM) Geno had a strong first practice, went 7-10
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 02:51 PM) site's kinda been dead for years now. even during last season.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 July 2014 - 03:28 PM) Yeah I know but it hasn't been this dead
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM) When the team was winning and going to AFC Championship games the site had a lot of activity. But now after a couple of mediocre seasons, people don't want to talk.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 July 2014 - 02:04 PM) When the team starts winning again people who have been MIA will be back saying that they never left.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Yesterday, 07:07 AM) wats good everyone!. been awhile since i last posted anything but i always come on here to read and see whats new
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:33 PM) SUP BITCHES!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:33 PM) Oh it's you
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:49 PM) Harlem, great way to encourage user activity!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:23 PM) I aim to please
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:37 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:36 PM) Still being a dick huh Harlem?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:36 PM) Shit hasn't changed much since the 2013 JETS season
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Peter King On The Importance Of Revis

#21 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 05 March 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

It's funny how people are claiming that it's only what's "reported" that Revis wants 16 million so that must be wrong but then swearing up & down that his cap number is 12 million because that's what's been reported even though his salary & bonuses only account for 9 million. So essentially in some people's eyes, what's being reported must be wrong when it comes to the money he wants, but it's right for his cap hit if traded? Somehow that doesn't make much sense to me.

And if he really does stand firm at 16 to where the team doesn't pay him, are you willing to let that cap hit be 18 million for one year of service considering his 9 million hit this year and the other 9 in cap hit we'd take next year when he walks away? To me, I'd rather take a 12 million hit & get a 1st rounder & then some (plus a 2nd in compensatory) rather than an 18 million hit and maybe a 3rd round compensatory in 2014 and nothing else.

I don't understand what you are talking about. The $12 mil has been reported by people who looked at his contract details. The highest paid defensive player is all speculation, Revis or his people haven't came out and said that he wants to be the highest paid defensive player ever, all there is is speculation. And anyways I have read quotes from executives who say that there is noway that Revis will get $16 mil a year and that the Mario Williams contract was a abiration.

I know they say that John Idzik is a patient guy, so this is going to drag out and hes more concerned about creating cap flexibility and who to re-sign. But I hope they try to lock up Revis, if they don't even try I will be pissed. We then create another hole and we won't get the value for a HOF caliber player.
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 05 March 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

I'm not going to hold his past history of holdouts against him.

When you say shit like this, it really makes me feel like you and FlyHi are different sides to the same coin. You dismissing Revis' past history of being very hard to negotiate with like it doesn't play into this at all. Same as FlyHi is dismissing Revis' past history of hard work on and off the field by saying that we don't know if he'll ever be the same after his injury. It's the same rediculous argument both ways. Revis has held out twice in his career already. That's a huge red flag for any organization, especially one that is buried in debt and doesn't have the stars that this amount of debt usually brings. The fact that he walks away from the team at every opportunity to improve his financial position is probably the #1 reason Woody is so non-commital to him this time around. Woody finally has the leverage because Revis is still under contract and he is contractually prohibited from walking out a third time, so Woody is just doing basically what Revis did the first two times: f*** you, I'll deal with you when I feel like it but for now sit tight while I position myself to better myself. Revis is getting the other end of the business.

View PostMr_Jet, on 05 March 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

But some of you grab on to these "Revis wants ___ million dollars" stories because it feeds into that "he's greedy" stigma some fans already have of him.

No we grab these stories because they're a lot more plausable than anything coming out of the other side. $16M makes perfect sense when you consider that Revis is officially on record as already demanding to be the highest paid cornerback. A few extra ProBowls since then isn't going to make him feel like he's suddenly worth less. When you couple that with the fact that he is also officially on record complaining about his $12M/year current deal, calling it a band aid and being upset with management for not getting a "real" deal done, then you can put two and two together and cognize that his preferred contract number is a few notches about $12M. Whether it's $16M or $15M or $14M or $17M doesn't matter. It's way out of our ballpark.

#23 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 06 March 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

When you say shit like this, it really makes me feel like you and FlyHi are different sides to the same coin. You dismissing Revis' past history of being very hard to negotiate with like it doesn't play into this at all. Same as FlyHi is dismissing Revis' past history of hard work on and off the field by saying that we don't know if he'll ever be the same after his injury. It's the same rediculous argument both ways. Revis has held out twice in his career already. That's a huge red flag for any organization, especially one that is buried in debt and doesn't have the stars that this amount of debt usually brings. The fact that he walks away from the team at every opportunity to improve his financial position is probably the #1 reason Woody is so non-commital to him this time around. Woody finally has the leverage because Revis is still under contract and he is contractually prohibited from walking out a third time, so Woody is just doing basically what Revis did the first two times: f*** you, I'll deal with you when I feel like it but for now sit tight while I position myself to better myself. Revis is getting the other end of the business.

Please. Revis's two holdouts have more to do with Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum trying to win on the cheap than it does with Darrelle Revis being a greedy prima donna. Tannenbaum wanted to force Revis to sign for 6 years in his rookie contract while other rookies were signing 5 year deals. A holdout that could have been avoided if Tannenbaum would've just given Revis the same contract length that the players drafted around Revis got. And as I said last night by 2010 Revis outplayed his rookie contract and deserved a new one. Revis was to make a whopping 1 million dollars in 2010 with his rookie contract after coming off the great 2009 season he had. I don't remember Woody or Tanny beating down Revis's door to give him a raise. No they were perfectly happy paying the best CB in the entire NFL 1 million dollars which was chump change compared to what other CBs of lesser caliber were making. Why should Revis have just been a good boy and continue to play like the best in the game, while getting paid a lot less than other Pro-Bowl caliber players? Oh yeah because his owner said so and what the owner says goes. It's alright to expect the best out of Revis and not pay him like he's the best because that's just Woody being a good businessman. Try to squeeze as much out of a player for as little as you can pay him and then when he gets old and slow after years of service, that's when you cut him and find somebody younger and faster and start that cycle over again. No Revis in 2010 used the little piece of leverage he had and said "I'm not doing anything else for your team until you (Woody Johnson) pay me what I deserve, I'm the best and you're going to pay me like I'm the best." And I don't see anything wrong with Revis doing that. Woody was trying to get over on Revis by expecting him to play like the best CB in the NFL and only paying him 1 million dollars in 2010 (while Asomugha was making 15 million in Oakland). Now two and half years later it's payback time? That's why Woody's doing this? To put that uppity player back in his place? How dare he disobey me twice and make me look bad by holding out so now I'm going to pay him back by trading him. Well if that's Woody's mindset and he's still holding a grudge over 2010, then the Jets are never going to be a perennial Super Bowl contender while he's the owner. That sounds like something a vengeful ex-spouse would do not a smart sports owner.

No we grab these stories because they're a lot more plausable than anything coming out of the other side. $16M makes perfect sense when you consider that Revis is officially on record as already demanding to be the highest paid cornerback. A few extra ProBowls since then isn't going to make him feel like he's suddenly worth less. When you couple that with the fact that he is also officially on record complaining about his $12M/year current deal, calling it a band aid and being upset with management for not getting a "real" deal done, then you can put two and two together and cognize that his preferred contract number is a few notches about $12M. Whether it's $16M or $15M or $14M or $17M doesn't matter.

What I'm saying is that 16 million dollar figure is bullshit that comes from unnamed sources. It's an outdated figure. You (and they) are basing that 16 million dollar figure off of 2010 but things have changed since 2010. Revis could get a contract for 13 million a year and that would make him the highest paid CB in the NFL. That wasn't the case back in 2010 because of that ridiculous contract that Raiders gave Nnamdi Asomugha. I want to see a quote from Revis in 2012 or in 2013 that says "I want 16 million dollars a year." Show me that quote. I've seen quotes where Revis says he wants to be the highest paid CB, but not that he wants 16 million a year. Not in 2012 or 2013. In 2010 it would've made sense considering Asomugha still had that absurd contract with the Raiders that paid him 15 million a year. Now Asomugha makes 12 million a year, so why would Revis still be asking for that 16 million when he already knows the Jets can't/won't pay him that and none of the other 31 teams would pay that him either? Oh yeah because he's just greedy and refuses to be a good company man. :rolleyes: 13 million would make him the highest paid CB in the NFL and if that's what it is all about then where does this 16 million figure come from? Oh yeah it comes from a tabloid that has talked to "someone familiar with his thinking."

It's way out of our ballpark.

And who's fault is that? Who's fault is it that Mark Sanchez is sitting pretty right now while we're looking at trading the best CB in the game? Who does the buck stop with in all this? The same person you expect to get back a king's ransom for trading away Revis.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#24 User is offline   chocomag Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 05 March 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Reported that he wants 16 million dollars or reported that he has wanted that in the past or reported that "sources close to Revis" say he wants 16 million. I watch ESPN everyday too and I haven't once seen a report that flat out said Revis wants 16 million. When they report they make sure they try to be a vague as possible by saying things like "sources close to" or "allegedly" or "has been reported by others." That's how they protect themselves from criticism in the future if the story ends up being false. They then say "our sources where misinformed" or something like that. Remember back in 2010 when Tim Cowlishaw reported that Revis and the Jets had come to a deal. Then when he was criticized for it he doubled down and said his info came from a source that has "never been wrong" before. And as we all know Revis and the Jets did not have a deal at that time Cowlishaw said that they did.

From the New York Post (January 26, 2013):
"According to someone familiar with his thinking, Revis is seeking a contract similar to or “just north of’’ the deal the Bills gave defensive end Mario Williams — six years, $96 million with $50 million guaranteed. That is the largest contract for a defensive player in NFL history."

From ESPN:
"Revis is believed to be seeking about $16 million per year, so the Jets have to decide whether to re-sign him, trade him or let him play out the season."

From Bloomberg:
"ESPN has said Revis may be seeking as much as $16 million a year."

From Yahoo:
"However, Revis is due $6 million and is seeking a new deal that will pay him about $16 million, according to ESPN.com."

No real reporting there. Just one outlet saying something with no concrete evidence and then the other outlets pick it up and then they run with it. "Sources familiar with his thinking," that could be anybody. Hell those sources might not even exist for all we know. No what it is, is that these outlets report that "sources familiar with his thinking" or "Revis is believed (believed by who) to be," then they put the 16 million dollar figure out there that's what the readers focus on. They focus on and remember that "$16 million per year" part and not the "sources" and "believed to be" parts that are also in those articles. That's not good sports reporting that's just speculation created to have something to write about.

I don't know what amount Revis is worth. Not 16 million a year I know that. I guess it's good Revis isn't asking for that despite what the media has reported. It would be nice if Woody, Idzik, and Revis and his agent would negotiate a new deal and we could get an actual number everybody of importance has agreed to. But that would mean Woody actually talking to Revis instead of to the media about Revis.

Let's agree that the number may or may not be $16 mil. Do we agree that the number is certainly more than any other CB has ever received? If not, what in Revis' personality would lead you to believe that? He has held out, complained and been obsessed with his contract. Maybe it's the Jets fault for leading him on but regardless, he wants the money (and deserves as much as he can get). The Jets just don't want to pay him and I can appreciate that too. Think of these things

1) They pay him the big money and he goes down again.
2) They pay him and have nothing to sign others resulting in a still bad team.
3) They don't pay him and trade him for a cou0le of high draft picks allowing them to bolster their pass rush and O'line (both more important to a Super Bowl in my opinion).

In my opinion Revis is gone. It's only a matter of what we get and from whom. If we wait for him to be a FA we will lose him for nothing. If we sign him now to a long term deal and he goes down we are dead for many years to come. As a Jet fan, do you doubt that would happen? The smart play is trade him.

#25 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 06 March 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Please. Revis's two holdouts have more to do with...

See this is the problem, you're looking at this as independent events. Have you ever negotiated anything? Ever bought a car? It's not just about the final number, there's repoire that gets build. Revis and Woody and Revis and Tanny have (and had) a very frosty relationship. If you go back throughout the history of the NFL, there isn't a single player that held out twice. That stat carries a ton of weight with it. Revis is a guy who will give you an ultamatum and stick to it. Going into a 3rd series of negotiations with him must be a nightmare. Not only is he hard to compromise with, but he got his uncle in his ear... who is the only player to hold out for a whole season! You're telling me what this situation is the same as going into any other contract negotiation? You got a guy sitting across from you who already told you "My way or the highway" twice and his uncle who basically owns the biggest "f*** You" moment in NFL contract negotiation history.

I'm not excusing Tanny or Woody or even saying that this isn't 98% their own doing. But facts are facts. Revis has a reputation (deserved or not doesn't matter) as a guy who will hold out (and in the process, hurt his team).

What I'm saying is that 16 million dollar figure is bullshit that comes from unnamed sources. It's an outdated figure. You (and they) are basing that 16 million dollar figure off of 2010 but things have changed since 2010.

You're making a simple mistake. You're assuming that Revis is still aiming to just be the highest paid CB. The $16M figure being tossed around is, as is my understanding, what he's going to ask for because he wants to be the highest paid defensive player. I know what you're going to say, "Oh he never said that". You're right. He didn't come out and say that... yet. But again, lets look at what he has said and done in the past: he did say "Rex thinks I'm the best CB so I should be paid the most". Right? Clearly he equates his contribution on the field as compared to other CB to be comparble to his paycheck as compared to other CBs. That's fine. He was also vocally unhappy with making $12M a year 2 years ago... do you think he'll take less money now? Of course not. He won't take less than $12M just because the next best CB might be making $10M a year after Aso gets cut. He's going to say, and rightfully so, that his affect on a game is comparable to any great defensive player and therefore he should make what they're making. Do you not see that? The $16M being thrown around is based off of the Mario Williams contract, not the old Aso deal.

And who's fault is that? Who's fault is it that Mark Sanchez is sitting pretty right now while we're looking at trading the best CB in the game? Who does the buck stop with in all this? The same person you expect to get back a king's ransom for trading away Revis.

You're 100% right. Our GM gambled and busted out and our owner runs the team like a less flamboyant Daniel Snyder. You got two choices: be a Jet fan and root for the franchise or be a Revis fan and follow him wherever he goes. I'm not trying to get on a soap box and say that if you don't agree with Woody then you should root for another team. Shit, I don't agree with Woody either. The point I'm making is that what's done is done and unfortunately, this is the current situation of my Jets and I can either quit rooting for them (which I would if I could) or I can sit and pray that like Snyder, Woody can fall face first into some good luck.

#26 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postchocomag, on 06 March 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Let's agree that the number may or may not be $16 mil. Do we agree that the number is certainly more than any other CB has ever received? If not, what in Revis' personality would lead you to believe that? He has held out, complained and been obsessed with his contract. Maybe it's the Jets fault for leading him on but regardless, he wants the money (and deserves as much as he can get). The Jets just don't want to pay him and I can appreciate that too. Think of these things

1) They pay him the big money and he goes down again.
2) They pay him and have nothing to sign others resulting in a still bad team.
3) They don't pay him and trade him for a cou0le of high draft picks allowing them to bolster their pass rush and O'line (both more important to a Super Bowl in my opinion).

In my opinion Revis is gone. It's only a matter of what we get and from whom. If we wait for him to be a FA we will lose him for nothing. If we sign him now to a long term deal and he goes down we are dead for many years to come. As a Jet fan, do you doubt that would happen? The smart play is trade him.

Think of these things:

1. They pay him "the big money" and he stays healthy an goes on to have a great career.
2. They don't pay him and trade him but they continue to make bad personnel decisions and we still have a bad team anyway.
3. They do trade him for a couple of high draft picks and those draft picks don't pan out as expected or even worse become Robertson/Gholston like busts.

Now considering this is the Jets we're talking about who's scenarios do you think are more likely to happen, yours or mine? It's not a forgone conclusion that trading Revis for draft picks automatically means the Jets are going to get some quality players. You might be right trading Revis for a few high draft picks might turn out to be a great move by the Jets FO. And I might be right that trading him for high draft picks could end up being a big blunder by the Jets FO. That's what happens when you take a gamble like this. You're risking a known quantity on a couple of unknowns. But as I've said many many many times already. This ALL could have been avoided if the same Jets FO you expect to get back all these great draft picks in return for Revis, had made better decisions in recent years. I don't have the same faith that the Jets are all of sudden going to start making smart football decisions and I'm just basing that off of some of the boneheaded moves they've made in recent years. I hope I'm wrong about that though.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#27 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 06 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

See this is the problem, you're looking at this as independent events. Have you ever negotiated anything? Ever bought a car? It's not just about the final number, there's repoire that gets build. Revis and Woody and Revis and Tanny have (and had) a very frosty relationship. If you go back throughout the history of the NFL, there isn't a single player that held out twice. That stat carries a ton of weight with it. Revis is a guy who will give you an ultamatum and stick to it. Going into a 3rd series of negotiations with him must be a nightmare. Not only is he hard to compromise with, but he got his uncle in his ear... who is the only player to hold out for a whole season! You're telling me what this situation is the same as going into any other contract negotiation? You got a guy sitting across from you who already told you "My way or the highway" twice and his uncle who basically owns the biggest "f*** You" moment in NFL contract negotiation history.

I'm not excusing Tanny or Woody or even saying that this isn't 98% their own doing. But facts are facts. Revis has a reputation (deserved or not doesn't matter) as a guy who will hold out (and in the process, hurt his team).

You put way too much stock in those holdouts. If you go back throughout the history of the NFL you'll see that the owners have treated the players like shit. They try to pay them as little as possible with little to no guaranteed money while squeezing every bit of talent they can get out of the players. When a owner or GM uses hardball tactics and every bit of leverage they have to try to keep a player and pay him as little as possible, they're called "good businessmen" and "tough negotiators." But when a player plays hardball during the contract negotiations they're called "divas" and "greedy." I mean the best example of the ultimate leverage the owners have over the players is the franchise tag. A team instead of negotiating a new contract with a player to keep him on the team, they can just tag him instead to try to squeeze another year of service out of them. Then what if that player plays that season they're tagged and gets a devastating injury? Does the franchise give him a big contract or try to use that player's injury against him at the negotiating table? Franchises are like "well we would give you the money you were asking for before we tagged you, but because of your injury now we just don't think we can give you that big of a contract with such an uncertain future." A situation like that totally screws the player, but they're just the players so they're expendable, right? The NFL is the only one of the four major U.S. sports leagues to have something like the franchise tag which benefits the owners much more than the players. That's why Revis had that clause put into his last contract. He knew this could happen and the Jets would likely tag him instead of giving him a new deal. And look at what some have said about that, "the Jets were stupid for putting that clause in there." Do you see that? We're at a place now where it's seen as okay to place the franchise tag on a player rather than negotiate a new contract with him. Something that was put in place so teams could have more time to negotiate with a "franchise player" is now being used on punters. The majority of players who have the franchise tag placed on them don't even get new deals from their team after they play under the tag.

Again it's seen as "good business" when it's the player gets the short end of the stick. But when a player tries to use the leverage of a holdout "oh well then he's being difficult and is hurting the team for his own selfish gain." At least that's the way some fans see it. So what if Revis held out twice and has a history of being "hard to compromise with"? Why is it automatically assumed that Revis is hard to compromise with? Maybe it was Woody and Tanny who were the ones that wouldn't compromise. What's in it for Revis to just accept any deal the Jets want to give him? Why should he give the Jets a hometown discount as some people have talked about? The owners have used hardball tactics on the players for decades and now one (Revis) has played some hardball of his own and he's the bad guy? As I've said that first holdout could have been avoided if Tannenbaum would have just given Revis the same kind of rookie contract the players drafted around Revis were getting. The second holdout was just Revis believing (and he was right) that he had outperformed his rookie contract. He deserved to make more than just $1 million in 2010 after the kind of season he had in 2009. He was the best CB in the league and wanted to be paid as such. That's all those holdouts were about and in my view it was the Jets FO that was more responsible for those holdouts happening than Revis was. If they wouldn't have tried to be such "tough negotiators," there would have been no holdouts especially with that first one. So Revis isn't your typical NFL player who just rolls over and wants to make sure he's not getting underpaid for being the best at his position. Whether Revis's holdouts hurt the team is debatable because Revis is just one of 53 players. The Jets FO has done more to hurt this team than Revis holding out twice has. It's the FO that has overpaid the wrong players while neglecting to properly address other needs year after year.

And you guys really need to stop with that "Revis's uncle" nonsense. Before people criticize his uncle for "being in his ear," go back and look at Sean Gilbert's contract history. He was accused of signing a bad rookie contract "under duress" that hurt the players picked after him in the draft when it came to their contract negotiations. Then years later Washington tried to tag him and rather than just be a good boy and sign his tender like the FO wanted, he sat out a year. Instead of being a greedy little street thug towards the Redskins. Gilbert left $3.4 million on the table and got $0 in 1997. In fact he probably lost money in 97 because of the fines for holding out. Then the next season Washington signed Dana Stubbafield for 6 million a year when Gilbert was asking them for 5 million a year and they still tried to tag him again. So it's a good thing that Revis has an uncle who has been in the NFL before and was able to tell Revis what to expect. The owners and the agents are always going to be around a lot longer than the players are. The owners and agents have long windows to make their money, so it's up to the players to make sure they can make good money while they can. And when you're a player of Revis's caliber you want to make sure you're getting everything your worth. Now how is a player especially the great players supposed to do that when they have to deal with things like the franchise tag. Something that is not used for it's original purpose.

You're making a simple mistake. You're assuming that Revis is still aiming to just be the highest paid CB. The $16M figure being tossed around is, as is my understanding, what he's going to ask for because he wants to be the highest paid defensive player. I know what you're going to say, "Oh he never said that". You're right. He didn't come out and say that... yet. But again, lets look at what he has said and done in the past: he did say "Rex thinks I'm the best CB so I should be paid the most". Right? Clearly he equates his contribution on the field as compared to other CB to be comparble to his paycheck as compared to other CBs. That's fine. He was also vocally unhappy with making $12M a year 2 years ago... do you think he'll take less money now? Of course not. He won't take less than $12M just because the next best CB might be making $10M a year after Aso gets cut. He's going to say, and rightfully so, that his affect on a game is comparable to any great defensive player and therefore he should make what they're making. Do you not see that? The $16M being thrown around is based off of the Mario Williams contract, not the old Aso deal.

And again this is a ridiculous conversation entirely based on conjecture. The only thing I have ever read or heard him say is him talking about being the highest paid CB not the highest paid defensive player. Mean if it's all about the money why not say you want to be the highest paid player on the Jets or the highest paid player in the NFL? Those are just as ridiculous. All that being paid more than Mario Williams talk is bullshit. Revis knows the Jets are not in a position to give him that much money even if they wanted to give him that much. So why on earth would ask for something the Jets certainly can't give him. This doesn't make any sense and considering it comes from vague sources reported in a tabloid newspaper, excuse me if I don't buy the "I want more than Mario" talk. Revis may be a little street thug and hard to compromise with, but that doesn't mean he's stupid and I'm sure he knows that the Jets can't give him more than Mario Williams. But you know what, it doesn't matter now if he wanted more 2 years ago or wants more now. Because the Jets haven't done anything since doing that band-aid deal in 2010 to try to keep Revis long term. The Jets FO has made it clear (especially after giving Sanchez that extension) that they have no intention of making Revis a Jet for life. No he's difficult and doesn't do as they tell him so let's trade him to teach him a lesson. Yeah It's really going to teach him a lesson.

You're 100% right. Our GM gambled and busted out and our owner runs the team like a less flamboyant Daniel Snyder. You got two choices: be a Jet fan and root for the franchise or be a Revis fan and follow him wherever he goes. I'm not trying to get on a soap box and say that if you don't agree with Woody then you should root for another team. Shit, I don't agree with Woody either. The point I'm making is that what's done is done and unfortunately, this is the current situation of my Jets and I can either quit rooting for them (which I would if I could) or I can sit and pray that like Snyder, Woody can fall face first into some good luck.

Please. This Revis situation isn't a deal breaker situation in my eyes (unless they trade him to New England). This isn't a black or white, Jets or Revis situation. It's not "be a Jets fan" or "a Revis fan." If Revis is traded I'll do the same thing I did when Shaq was traded to Miami. I stuck with the team and wished the player well against all the other teams he faces. I still root for Abraham and Vilma, except when they play the Jets. I was a Jets fan and on this board before I even knew who Darrelle Revis was, that's not going to change. Revis could be traded tomorrow and I'm still going to be here and I'm still going to be a Jets fan. An angry Jets fan that will rant about the stupid trade the Jets made and how they let a future HOFer go for some draft picks. But just because somebody is a fan of a certain franchise that doesn't mean they have to shut up and go along with whatever the FO does? If a franchise's FO is talking about making a bad decision, you call them out on it and hope that they realize it's a bad decision before they make it. You're right, we all better pray that Woody falls face first into some luck. Because if they trade Revis and these amazing draft picks we get back don't pan out....then what? All we could say is same old Jets I guess. It took Daniel Snyder 13 years to fall into RGIII (and he's only entering year two so we're far from knowing how he pans out), Woody is now in year 13 too and I don't see any RGIII types in the draft next month. We would have been better off trading Revis for draft picks last year.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#28 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just an fyi.......Nnamdi's salary this year wasn't going to be 12 million. It would have been 15. So you tell me.......Mevis thinks he's better than Nnamdi, so do you think he was going to want to take less than him? I don't.

As for the predictions of taking more hits than misses in the draft, I could've sworn that Tanny acquired more Pro Bowlers and people still in the league than drafting busts like Gholston. Now it's on Idzik to rebuild the team. Keeping Revis hinders doing so unless he's willing to play for 10-12 per year which we all know he's not.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#29 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 06 March 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Please. Revis's two holdouts have more to do with Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum trying to win on the cheap than it does with Darrelle Revis being a greedy prima donna. Tannenbaum wanted to force Revis to sign for 6 years in his rookie contract while other rookies were signing 5 year deals. A holdout that could have been avoided if Tannenbaum would've just given Revis the same contract length that the players drafted around Revis got. And as I said last night by 2010 Revis outplayed his rookie contract and deserved a new one. Revis was to make a whopping 1 million dollars in 2010 with his rookie contract after coming off the great 2009 season he had. I don't remember Woody or Tanny beating down Revis's door to give him a raise. No they were perfectly happy paying the best CB in the entire NFL 1 million dollars which was chump change compared to what other CBs of lesser caliber were making. Why should Revis have just been a good boy and continue to play like the best in the game, while getting paid a lot less than other Pro-Bowl caliber players? Oh yeah because his owner said so and what the owner says goes. It's alright to expect the best out of Revis and not pay him like he's the best because that's just Woody being a good businessman. Try to squeeze as much out of a player for as little as you can pay him and then when he gets old and slow after years of service, that's when you cut him and find somebody younger and faster and start that cycle over again. No Revis in 2010 used the little piece of leverage he had and said "I'm not doing anything else for your team until you (Woody Johnson) pay me what I deserve, I'm the best and you're going to pay me like I'm the best." And I don't see anything wrong with Revis doing that. Woody was trying to get over on Revis by expecting him to play like the best CB in the NFL and only paying him 1 million dollars in 2010 (while Asomugha was making 15 million in Oakland). Now two and half years later it's payback time? That's why Woody's doing this? To put that uppity player back in his place? How dare he disobey me twice and make me look bad by holding out so now I'm going to pay him back by trading him. Well if that's Woody's mindset and he's still holding a grudge over 2010, then the Jets are never going to be a perennial Super Bowl contender while he's the owner. That sounds like something a vengeful ex-spouse would do not a smart sports owner.

Mevis just got paid how many millions in 2012 for only playing 2 games? 11.5.......I think that makes up for his 1 year of 2010 supposed to be playing for 1 million snce he front loaded his contract. Which he repeated in 2010 & then cried, b!tched and moaned that the deal was supposed to be redone once the money fell under 16 million per year going forward.

What I'm saying is that 16 million dollar figure is bullshit that comes from unnamed sources. It's an outdated figure. You (and they) are basing that 16 million dollar figure off of 2010 but things have changed since 2010. Revis could get a contract for 13 million a year and that would make him the highest paid CB in the NFL. That wasn't the case back in 2010 because of that ridiculous contract that Raiders gave Nnamdi Asomugha. I want to see a quote from Revis in 2012 or in 2013 that says "I want 16 million dollars a year." Show me that quote. I've seen quotes where Revis says he wants to be the highest paid CB, but not that he wants 16 million a year. Not in 2012 or 2013. In 2010 it would've made sense considering Asomugha still had that absurd contract with the Raiders that paid him 15 million a year. Now Asomugha makes 12 million a year, so why would Revis still be asking for that 16 million when he already knows the Jets can't/won't pay him that and none of the other 31 teams would pay that him either? Oh yeah because he's just greedy and refuses to be a good company man. :rolleyes:/> 13 million would make him the highest paid CB in the NFL and if that's what it is all about then where does this 16 million figure come from? Oh yeah it comes from a tabloid that has talked to "someone familiar with his thinking."

Revis said how many times he wanted to be at least the higest paid CB? Nnamdi Asomugha was due to make 15 million in 2013. You think Revis was going to be okay with earning less than him? I don't.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#30 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 13 March 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Revis said how many times he wanted to be at least the higest paid CB? Nnamdi Asomugha was due to make 15 million in 2013. You think Revis was going to be okay with earning less than him? I don't.

I don't know, you tell me how many times he said that? I mean since you're such an expert on who said what and when they said it. Just like when I said taxpayers funded MetLife Stadium (even though I never said that) and when people said Revis should get QB type money (even though nobody here said that).
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#31 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 13 March 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

I don't know, you tell me how many times he said that? I mean since you're such an expert on who said what and when they said it. Just like when I said taxpayers funded MetLife Stadium (even though I never said that) and when people said Revis should get QB type money (even though nobody here said that).

I already crushed your taxpayer bullsh!t before so give that up already.

And yes......people have said he (Mevis) deserves 12-14 million avg. per year. Are you saying you didn't? Are you aware that only FOUR QB's out of 32 starters make 15+? Apparently not. Hell.....4 of the top 10 paid QB's don't even break 14 million for 2013.

Right now today, Revis is the highest paid CB in the league, but that's still not good enough for him obviously as he cried that as soon as his salary was to dip below 16.25M that his contract was supposed to be redone claiming it was only a band aid deal. He didn't complain when it was 16.25 though. That's for damn sure.

#32 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 14 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

I already crushed your taxpayer bullsh!t before so give that up already.

:hysterical: Is that what you think happened? You have delusions of grandeur if you think you proved I said taxpayers funded MetLife Stadium.

And yes......people have said he (Mevis) deserves 12-14 million avg. per year. Are you saying you didn't? Are you aware that only FOUR QB's out of 32 starters make 15+? Apparently not. Hell.....4 of the top 10 paid QB's don't even break 14 million for 2013.

You keep saying this but you have yet to prove it. And now you're saying I said it too (again). You don't have to go through all 19 pages of that thread. Just click on my name and then click on "find posts." Show me where I once said Revis deserved QB money. You keep on talking all this shit but you refuse to back it up. Either prove it or it was never said.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users