NYJetsFan.com Forums: Jets Roster Not As Depleted... - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 03:19 PM) holy shit thrilling match up tonight
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:13 PM) Does it matter who wins tonight? Draft pick wise for the Jets?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:16 PM) Probably not. We probably want to draft above the Titans though if that is possible, they are a team that could use a QB. The Jaguars just drafted Blake Bortles, doubt they go first round QB 2 years in a row
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 04:29 PM) so titans win is best win
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) DRAFT WINSTON
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 07:05 PM) I'm leaning towards wanting to draft Cooper or oline with the first pick. have a good line and or relceiver core and try and sign Bradford or trade for Cutler to play QB. And have Geno as back up for us.
2JBallar01 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 07:06 PM) Not sure if Winston can be a franchise QB. Even Mariota has question marks.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 December 2014 - 08:25 PM) That is why we need to draft Cooper at WR and then later in the draft go and get Petty
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 09:44 PM) clipboard jesus lead the way
santana Icon : (18 December 2014 - 09:48 PM) I miss leon
ROBJETS Icon : (18 December 2014 - 11:35 PM) If the Jets would have lost last week since the Jags won the Jets would have the 2 seed right now and not stuck at the 6 seed
ROBJETS Icon : (18 December 2014 - 11:36 PM) Oh well
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:21 AM) I think IK shows potential as a pass rusher
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:50 PM) If the new HC goes to a 4-3 it will be interesting to see if Couples can play on the end.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) he's probably better as a 4-3 DE then a 3-4 LBer anyway
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:43 PM) we'd need another DT though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:12 PM) Rex to atlanta rumors swirling about
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) Who should be my 2 starters at WR for my fantasy. Championship game. It's between AJ Green, Djax, and Mike Evans. I have Hilton too but I think colts will sit him this week
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:36 PM) I'm thinking Djax and Evans. I don't think the match up with green vs Denver
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:37 PM) I have Ingram, Lamar Miller, and Lacy as my RBs and flex
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) green and desean pretty much the same risk reward
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) lock evans in and play the matchup for the other spot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:41 PM) also might snow in denver mnf i would keep an eye on that
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:48 PM) Good thinkin! I think I'm going to play djax. I like the match up better
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:09 PM) Atlanta would be a good landing spot for REx. He'll have Matt Ryan there so no need to develop a QB and he'll make the defense better
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 03:54 PM) He's not a good hc. He'll struggle anywhere.
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 06:07 PM) Idk. I bet if he had a good offensive supporting cast with established players he would do fine. He just can't develop players. It may be like the Gruden going to the Bucs but in reverse
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 06:19 PM) The Redskins are In this game, I am rooting for them so we move up a spot in the draft
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Jets Roster Not As Depleted... turnonthejets.com

#1 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I know that it has become fashionable to bash the Jets these days and take shots at them no matter what they do, but through two days, free agency 2013 has actually not been even close to the disaster it seems like for the team. Fortunately, it appears as though the team actually has a plan for the first time in a few seasons, and it’s off to a good start. While it may look like the team is being dismantled as free agent after free agent leave for greener pastures, it is actually the best thing that could be happening for this franchise, and in most cases, they already have a replacement on the roster and ready to step up, which is the best way to fill these holes.

It doesn’t really make much sense to me that for the past two seasons, everyone liked to say the Jets had such a poor roster, yet now that those players are leaving, they still want to complain and act like things are spiraling out of control. Let’s take a look at the roster changes for 2013 and debunk some of these myths, while showing that the Jets are not in nearly as bad of a spot as the “experts” will have you believe.

Quarterback – No, the QB position is not ideal right now, as the team is simply unable to move on from Mark Sanchez due to his large price tag for the upcoming season. The team will have to live with him in 2013, but he will have some actual REAL competition for the first time in his career. Jets fans wanted a solid veteran like oh, I don’t know, David Garrard to be brought in, and now he has been. John Idzik also looked at Chase Daniel and is still sniffing around Jason Campbell, so while this spot isn’t perfect, at least we don’t have to think about Tim Tebow or Mark Brunell getting in there. And if Sanchez falters in training camp or early in the season, he’ll be on an extremely short leash. It’s also worth mentioning that the team will have a real offensive coordinator that has had NFL success here for the first time in…well, a very long time.

Running Back – Shonn Greene signed a 3-year/$10 million deal with the Titans, and I’d think most Jets fans would agree that is too much money to pay for what he offers. He wouldn’t be a good fit in Marty Mornhinweg’s new West Coast Offense, so him leaving is not that big of a loss at all. Last year, most would agree Bilal Powell was actually more impressive than Greene down the stretch of the season as they entered into more of a 50/50 split, and he is likely to have a big role next year. The team has also been linked to free agent Mike Goodson, and a running back is likely to be drafted, perhaps as early as the second round (Gio Bernard, Johnathan Franklin?). Joe McKnight is also still hanging around, but at this point it’s unlikely he will ever get a real chance to contribute as a running back. Either way, the position is likely to be improved in 2013, especially as it pertains to the new offensive system. Losing Shonn Greene doesn’t change that.

Wide Receiver – WR was arguable the worst position on the team last season, and was quite possibly the worst corps of receivers in the entire NFL. This year, however, Santonio Holmes will be returning from injury and he has agreed to restructure his contract and save $3.5 million on the cap for this season. Joining him will be their best receiver from a year ago, the rapidly improving Jeremy Kerley. He is entering his third season, which is historically the big breakout year for receivers. Last year’s 2nd-round pick, Stephen Hill, will also be back playing a role, and you’d have to think he will be much-improved heading into his second season. The team won’t be relying on him to start from Day 1 like Mike Tannenbaum foolishly did, as they’ve inquired about free agent Brandon Gibson and are also rumored to be bringing back Braylon Edwards. A top four of Holmes, Kerley, Edwards, and Hill is a major improvement on last year’s group of Kerley, Mardy Gilyard, Jason Hill, and Clyde Gates. That’s just horrible to even think about.

Tight End – Losing Dustin Keller will hurt in the short-term — there’s no denying that — but it’s not like he was around much in 2012 anyway, so it’s hard to consider him a big loss. It’s especially hard when you factor in the amount of money and years it would cost the team to keep him around. Jeff Cumberland actually played pretty well last season and he could hold down the fort for a season if need be. The team is also highly likely to draft a tight end in the middle rounds to be the future answer at the position, which will be a nice addition. The wild card in the group, of course, is former Australian rugby player, Hayden Smith, who was supposedly very impressive in practice last season as he learned the ins-and-outs of American football. He could be a contributor this season. Tight end won’t be the strength of the team, but it also won’t be the wasteland it was a year ago.

Offensive Line – Three positions on the line are solidified and set in stone as D’Brickashaw Ferguson will return as the left tackle, Nick Mangold as the center, and Austin Howard as the right tackle. Brick and Mangold are amongst the best in the league at their positions, and Howard played surprisingly well after the human turnstile, Wayne Hunter, was sent packing last August. As a restricted free agent, he will be tendered and will return.

The guard position is a completely different story though, as both starters — Matt Slauson and Brandon Moore — are free agents. The team has shown no interest in bringing Moore back, and only tepid interest in having Slauson return. Having two new guards in 2013 will be a good thing, not a bad thing, as both Slauson and Moore were average at best and are dead weight. Moore is in a serious decline and Slauson was rotating series with Vlad Ducasse last year. Most Jets fans hardly even noticed when Ducasse was subbed in, which tells me having him in one of the starting roles isn’t as bad as we might think. He graded out positively as a run blocker, won’t cost much on the salary cap, and can easily fill in at either guard spot. Is it ideal? No, of course not. But it isn’t any worse than what the team fielded last year, and he’ll do it for much cheaper, which is important. To fill the other spot, a rookie is likely to be plugged in, or the team may pursue a quality veteran like Geoff Schwartz. Whichever route the team goes, expect the guard play to improve in 2013, not get worse. Those touting Moore as a big loss have clearly not been paying attention the past two seasons.

Defensive Line – This is where people are overreacting the most when it comes to changes the Jets are making. Defensive end Mike DeVito signed with the Chiefs, and while DeVito was a nice run-stuffing role player that any team would like to have, the Jets were simply unable to give him the $4 million per season that the Chiefs did to be a backup. The main reason that DeVito is no big loss is because last year’s 1st-round pick Quinton Coples happens to play the same position and is a far more talented player. Heading into his second season, he’s ready to become a full-time player, and he is going to approach double digit sacks in 2013. The other starter at defensive end, of course, is Muhammad Wilkerson, who is perhaps the best 3-4 DE in the NFL not named JJ Watt. Between those two, there isn’t much room for DeVito, and a backup run-stuffer can be found either in the later rounds of the draft, or cheap through free agency. DeVito leaving so Coples can play more is a major boost for the line.

It’s pretty much the same story at nose tackle, as long-time starter Sione Po’uha was released to save over $3 million on the salary cap, and Kenrick Ellis is poised to take over the starting spot. Po’uha battled back problems all of last season and really had a pretty poor year overall. Ellis, meanwhile, really flashed on the film as Chris Gross noted here on his defensive breakdowns early last season. Had he not suffered a knee injury of his own, he was on his way to a big season. The talented 2011 3rd-round pick was drafted with this year in mind to take the starting job and run with it. At this stage in their careers, he’s a better player than Po’uha and as he gains more experience, along with Coples and Wilkerson, the defensive line is going to become more potent than it has been in years. Depth is always a concern, but with Damon Harrison also in the fold, and Rex Ryan’s ability to find unheralded defensive linemen and coach them up, the defensive line is going to be a major strong point on this team, not take a step back.

Inside Linebackers - David Harris and his albatross contract will be back in 2013, and you have to figure he won’t have back-to-back down years. Last season he was hampered by injuries on the defensive line in front of him, and a tendency to try and do too much, which resulted in him often times being out of position. With more dynamic players around him (read: guys not slow as crap), he should return to being the player he was in 2011. Next to him, Bart Scott has been released, and 2012 3rd-round pick Demario Davis is set to take his spot. This is a move that many people were calling for mid-way through last season, but a combination of Rex’s loyalty to Scott and Davis’s inexperience prevented it from happening. Now Davis is being thrown into the fire, and his speed and coverage ability are going to be a major boost for the linebacking corps as he will be able to play all three downs. Backing them up will be Josh Mauga, the solid run stuffer who is returning from an injury. Davis replacing Scott, combined with Harris returning to form, make this position much better than the unit we saw a season ago.

Outside Linebackers - With Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas being jettisoned, we are witnessing a clear case of addition by subtraction. At this point, I have run out of jokes to be made about them. They are old, slow, and totally washed up. Garrett McIntyre was clearly the best OLB on the team last season and his playing time down the stretch of the season reflected that. Expect him to nail down one of the starting spots heading into 2013. On the other side, it is very likely that the #9 overall draft pick will be used on a pass rushing OLB, whether it’s Jordan, Ansah, Mingo, or Jones, which will finally add some athleticism and speed to the position. I’d also expect another linebacker to be added to the mix in the mid-to-late rounds to add depth. The Jets have been linked to some under-the-radar type free agent OLB’s including the former Cowboy Victor Butler. That would be a very solid signing, although Butler is drawing a lot of interest on the market, and could be a tough get. Should they get him, it will allow whatever rookie that’s brought in to develop at his own pace rather than be thrown into the fire. Ricky Sapp is also still around and he will compete for a roster spot, but he’s far from a lock to make the team, as there will be plenty of competition brought in for playing time.

Overall, I expect the linebacking corps to play much, much better in 2013 than they did in 2012, and the influx of youth and speed across the board is going to be a breath of fresh air for the defense.

Safety - This is the position where the Jets might take a step back in 2013 as both starters from a year ago are not likely to be back. Yeremiah Bell signed with Arizona and Laron Landry is likely to leave as well, which would be bad for continuity. Last year’s primary backup Eric Smith was also released, but that’s another case of addition by subtraction. The other backups were rookies Josh Bush and Antonio Allen, and one or both of them could be in a position to see much more playing time than they did last season. There are a lot of solid safeties on the free agent market, so I’d expect the Jets to wait it out and then catch a solid veteran who is willing to take a lesser deal just to land a starting job as there become less and less job openings out there, much like they did with both Landry and Bell a year ago. In addition, there’s also a very deep safety draft class coming in, so there’s no need for the team to rush into anything or overpay for anyone. I doubt the team will get a pro bowl caliber season from whoever steps in the starting spot like they did with Landry, but don’t forget, Rex was able to put together a top-3 defense with Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool back there, so it won’t be all bad.

Cornerback - It’s impossible to break down the corner position without knowing what will happen with Darrelle Revis, but even if he is traded (which is likely), the cupboard is not bare. Antonio Cromartie showed himself to be one of the top cover corners in the league last year, and after a rough start even Kyle Wilson played pretty well. There is some depth behind them with Aaron Berry, Isaiah Trufant, Darrin Walls, and Ellis Lankster, but it’s obvious that this position is all about Revis. If he isn’t on the team next year, then the secondary is taking a major blow that can not be fixed in one offseason or with one player. On the other hand, if he is somehow re-signed, the Jets corners are again the best in the NFL and the defense as a whole may be too.

As you can see, the Jets aren’t as depleted from top to bottom as some of the experts out there would have you believe. With a good draft and a few shrewd free agent signings, it’s entirely possible the team will be able to compete this season and not be the 3-win laughingstock the media would like them to be. With a new running back in the fold, a healthy receiving corps, new outside linebackers, and the continued development of players like Coples, Wilkerson, and Ellis on defense, and Powell, Kerley, and Hill on offense, this team might actually surprise you come September. Rex Ryan is a damn good coach, and the players will give him everything they have. And when it comes to quarterback play, well, Sanchez has taken this team far before, right? Maybe I’m crazy, but in the NFL, you just never know…

#2 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

As well as the likes of McIntyre, Cumberland, Ellis and Davis have shown in limited playing time, there's plenty more time for them to be found out if they do end up being elevated into starting roles.

I agree though that at some positions we aren't necessarily going to be worse off. At running back, Shonn Greene was very one-dimensional and in adding Mike Goodson we have a back who can do something (catch the ball well) that was lacking last year. It seems we'll have a committee approach at that position, and as the article says we'll probably add another back in the draft. At tight end, Cumberland has the athletic ability to pose a threat to opposing safeties, while I'm confident Coples will form a very solid DE pairing with Mo Wilkerson.

Areas where I am concerned about, however, are the OLine, OLB and safety spots. Brandon Moore's play may have dropped and Slauson may have been rotated with Ducasse a lot that season, but there's still a need to sign players who can at least perform at their level. It's the same really at OLB. Pace and Thomas were limited as pass rushers, but other than McIntyre there is nobody who inspires any kind of confidence at the position on the roster. Fortunately that position is one where this year's draft class is strong. In the latter position, having just Josh Bush and Antonio Allen on the roster (Allen was only promoted from the practice squad late in the season) is concerning. And I doubt we'll have a pair of starting safeties as good as Bell and Landry were.

#3 User is online   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 16 March 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

As well as the likes of McIntyre, Cumberland, Ellis and Davis have shown in limited playing time, there's plenty more time for them to be found out if they do end up being elevated into starting roles.

I agree though that at some positions we aren't necessarily going to be worse off. At running back, Shonn Greene was very one-dimensional and in adding Mike Goodson we have a back who can do something (catch the ball well) that was lacking last year. It seems we'll have a committee approach at that position, and as the article says we'll probably add another back in the draft. At tight end, Cumberland has the athletic ability to pose a threat to opposing safeties, while I'm confident Coples will form a very solid DE pairing with Mo Wilkerson.

Areas where I am concerned about, however, are the OLine, OLB and safety spots. Brandon Moore's play may have dropped and Slauson may have been rotated with Ducasse a lot that season, but there's still a need to sign players who can at least perform at their level. It's the same really at OLB. Pace and Thomas were limited as pass rushers, but other than McIntyre there is nobody who inspires any kind of confidence at the position on the roster. Fortunately that position is one where this year's draft class is strong. In the latter position, having just Josh Bush and Antonio Allen on the roster (Allen was only promoted from the practice squad late in the season) is concerning. And I doubt we'll have a pair of starting safeties as good as Bell and Landry were.

The OG position does not overly concern me. The WCO will get the ball out quickly so pass protection is limited. Run blocking may be an issue. My biggest concern is the secondary. With no safety's on the roster and Revis on his way out our secondary will struggle. It's gonna be a tough year especially with the Pats and Phins spending so much this offseason. I hope this is a short term loss for a better future.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• MLB:

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Idzik is doing a heck of a job right now. They're not saying it but it is rebuilding. We lost some good ones and lost some bad ones. Idzik not taking any back talk from Rex. He's cleaning shit up like i wanted. These are all his moves and i'm loving it.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users