NYJetsFan.com Forums: Why Are Jets Overthinking This? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

OFF SEASON ALMOST OVER AUG 13 VS LIONS
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:37 PM) rumor has it he wanted a raise over his $5.5 million base this year
Jetsfan115 Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:39 PM) 33 is young for a guard. he's got at least 3-4 more years in him
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) Mmmmm I disagree.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:40 PM) I would go 2 year deal.
azjetfan Icon : (11 June 2015 - 07:41 PM) Maybe longer if we could get out of it after 2
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 11:36 AM) backloaded 4 year deal ca cut after 2 years wit minimum cap hit
Jetsfan115 Icon : (12 June 2015 - 02:22 PM) Jets sign free agent OT Charlles Brown
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:48 PM) We won't be able to backload it. He won't accept the offer. Keep in mind he requested he release because they couldn't come to an agreement on a raise.
azjetfan Icon : (14 June 2015 - 01:49 PM) He is probably looking for $7 million or more per year.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 09:44 AM) he was only making 5.5 million this year. we can give him 10 mil signing bonus onf a 5 year deal and a low base salary (like 3 mil a year) it'll average out to 5 mil a year, but he'll get 13 million this year (more then double) and will cost 5 mil a year against the cap for the rest of the deal
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Any news on Mathis at all? Haven't heard anything since his release.
2JBallar01 Icon : (15 June 2015 - 02:17 PM) Also, Sam Baker was cut today as well
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 04:52 PM) Titans releasing RB Shonn Greene
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 June 2015 - 10:40 PM) TEH WARRIORS
santana Icon : (16 June 2015 - 11:08 PM) This trophy ceremony awkward as fuck I had to turn it off
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:02 PM) It really was. It was more Doris Burke interviewing the Warriors than it was a trophy ceremony. Plus Adam Silver forgot to hand the Warriors owner the trophy after he was done talking to the crowd.
Mr_Jet Icon : (17 June 2015 - 08:03 PM) R.I.P. Stuart Scott
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE SILVER
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 June 2015 - 10:05 PM) FIRE BURKE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 June 2015 - 06:27 PM) THE A-ROD!!
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:19 PM) god damn week no activity in here
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:20 PM) might have to chop this table up into fire wood
santana Icon : (26 June 2015 - 12:26 PM) FIRE WOOD!
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:54 PM) Kristaps Porzingis???
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 June 2015 - 05:55 PM) You'd think Isiah Thomas was still running the Knicks last night.
santana Icon : (27 June 2015 - 07:30 PM) Lol yeah no clue about those names
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) Is there any chance that Porzingis ends up being good?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:10 AM) I'm guessing he won't be the next Pau Gasol or Dirk Nowviski
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:41 AM) You never know, he could be as good as Gasol brothers or Dirk. Honestly the Knicks picking at #4 did the same thing the 3 teams picking ahead of them did. Picked a 19 year who could go boom or bust.
Mr_Jet Icon : (28 June 2015 - 11:45 AM) Porzingis seems to have the "I'm going to prove them wrong" type of attitude needed to overcome people's doubts about him. Hopefully he'll have the work ethic that goes along with that attitude.
azjetfan Icon : (28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM) In other news I decided to shave the dome. Since the hair was falling out anyway I figured I would show it who's boss
santana Icon : (29 June 2015 - 01:11 PM) Deisel up shave the dome
Mr_Jet Icon : (29 June 2015 - 04:49 PM) Welcome home.
azjetfan Icon : (29 June 2015 - 08:59 PM) I feel fast.
azjetfan Icon : (01 July 2015 - 07:53 PM) Shot an 86 today. Personal best.
santana Icon : (01 July 2015 - 08:19 PM) well done
santana Icon : (01 July 2015 - 08:19 PM) im going to play friday
blk_orion Icon : (02 July 2015 - 08:57 AM) play what? golf?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (02 July 2015 - 01:16 PM) Sheldon Richardson suspended 4 game for substance abuse.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (02 July 2015 - 01:16 PM) f***
ganggreen2003 Icon : (02 July 2015 - 06:15 PM) DAMNIT TO f***ing HELL!!!!
azjetfan Icon : (02 July 2015 - 07:46 PM) Yup. Golf. I'm ready to take on Tiger. Mid season form. For what ever reason I am hitting the driver great. 280 and fairly controlled. I'm playing again Saturday.
santana Icon : (02 July 2015 - 07:55 PM) tiger shot a 66 today didnt he easy course though
santana Icon : (02 July 2015 - 07:55 PM) things were going too well for the jets this off season
MikeGangGree... Icon : (02 July 2015 - 10:33 PM) Well I guess Williams will be starting in opening day now
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Why Are Jets Overthinking This?

#1 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 599
  • Joined: 30-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NV
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

It's obvious both parties (jets and Revis) want to part ways. No QB is worth trading up for this season so trade Revis for a second rounder this year to the buc's and 2014's first rounder. This way we have presumably a top 10 pick next year (ours) and an additional top 20 pick(bucs). Package those two picks together for the first or second overall and scoop up Teddy Bridgewater and get this team moving in the right direction. We will have ridiculous money to spend for additional weapons in 2014 for the rookie and this years draft(13') should be focused on stockpiling starters not necessarily stars. Best case scenario is we go 1-15 have the first pick overall anyway plus an additional first rounder.
0

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,119
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

We have no idea what teams are really offering. And there is a good chance that the Bucs 1st rounder this year will be higher than next years.


I have no problem with the Jets waiting it out, try to get the best deal possible. The Bucs are backing off of the other CBs on the market, we are still like 4 weeks away from the draft.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,162
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Honestly, a first and second (regardless of the year) in my opinion isn't really good enough. Whoever wants him is going to have to come off of more than that, I feel.
Posted Image
0

#4 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostRetireChrebet, on 26 March 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

It's obvious both parties (jets and Revis) want to part ways. No QB is worth trading up for this season so trade Revis for a second rounder this year to the buc's and 2014's first rounder. This way we have presumably a top 10 pick next year (ours) and an additional top 20 pick(bucs). Package those two picks together for the first or second overall and scoop up Teddy Bridgewater and get this team moving in the right direction. We will have ridiculous money to spend for additional weapons in 2014 for the rookie and this years draft(13') should be focused on stockpiling starters not necessarily stars. Best case scenario is we go 1-15 have the first pick overall anyway plus an additional first rounder.


What if Teddy Bridgewater breaks his arm in seven places and never plays football again?

Anyway, first off, we don't know what Revis wants and we don't know what the Jets want. I can tell you that Rex Ryan wants Revis here and since Rex Ryan is either a lame duck coach who will be fired or Woody's Rasputin who is making all the personnel decisions, we don't know wtf is going on in Florham Park. We do know one thing: Revis wants to be paid. We also know that the Jets are going to have a shit ton of money in 2014, 2015 and 2016. The "leaked" numbers from Revis' deal is about $13.5M per year, which is basically what we paid him on his last deal. I'm less certain the Jets are going to trade him than I was a month ago.

The Bucs offer is bullshit. I hate that people are even taking it seriously. Yea, next year's draft is projected to be better, but who cares? I guarantee you that there will be players who aren't even mocked today who will go in the Top 15 in 2014 and vice versa. The standard for discountieng draft picks is one round per future year. The Bucs are essentially giving us a 2nd and 3rd in 2013. I think that that's cheap as hell and the Jets can get that type of offer anytime. If we're dead set on trading Revis, which no one know for sure we are since we have no idea who's making personnel decisions, we'd be wise to hold out for a better package.
0

#5 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

The sad thing is that this looking like it's going to be a 18 million dollar one year rental for Mevis unfortunately.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#6 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,162
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Lol
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 27 March 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

The sad thing is that this looking like it's going to be a 18 million dollar one year rental for Mevis unfortunately.


The Bucs reprtedly have worked out a deal with Revis where he'd make a little over $13M a year. Where are you coming up with $18M?
0

#8 User is online   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,280
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostRetireChrebet, on 26 March 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

It's obvious both parties (jets and Revis) want to part ways. No QB is worth trading up for this season so trade Revis for a second rounder this year to the buc's and 2014's first rounder. This way we have presumably a top 10 pick next year (ours) and an additional top 20 pick(bucs). Package those two picks together for the first or second overall and scoop up Teddy Bridgewater and get this team moving in the right direction. We will have ridiculous money to spend for additional weapons in 2014 for the rookie and this years draft(13') should be focused on stockpiling starters not necessarily stars. Best case scenario is we go 1-15 have the first pick overall anyway plus an additional first rounder.



Considering it cost the Redskins three first round picks and a second round selection to move up from No.6 to No. 2 to take RG III last year, we'd need far more than the Bucs' first rounder next year to package with ours if we were to move up to No.1 overall in 2014 to take Bridgewater.


I'm with Harlem on this - a 1st and 2nd rounder is nowhere near enough for Revis. A once in a generation talent (even if he is coming back from an injury) and there's so much talk about trading him - it's madness!
0

#9 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

  • Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 599
  • Joined: 30-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NV
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 27 March 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Considering it cost the Redskins three first round picks and a second round selection to move up from No.6 to No. 2 to take RG III last year, we'd need far more than the Bucs' first rounder next year to package with ours if we were to move up to No.1 overall in 2014 to take Bridgewater.


I'm with Harlem on this - a 1st and 2nd rounder is nowhere near enough for Revis. A once in a generation talent (even if he is coming back from an injury) and there's so much talk about trading him - it's madness!



Believe me I'd love to keep Revis on this team. He's easily my favorite jet of all time but its been proven that a CB does not win superbowls. QB's do. Revis is in my opinion our pawn that would potentially allow the jets to get that QB that will have us in playoff contention year in year out. Like I said in previous post. Maybe we'll keep Revis, pay him the money and still get a top 3 pick based on our teams poor record that we all project is ahead anyway.

Besides I understand Revis is a once in a decade defender but lets be honest. There is a big difference between being the best CB in the league and let's say best WR,RB, or even linebacker. Being the best CB in the league just doesn't have the impact on games that these other high profile positions have. Sure Revis will shut down the opposing teams best reciever but is that really going to prevent the rest of the mediocre defenders from getting picked apart by Brady, Bree's, manning etc..
0

#10 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,162
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I can't get into another debate about trading Revis again. I just can't. Ill just say that a bunch of you are full of shit because if he's dealt you'll all bitch that the Jets don't have any CBs who can cover receivers. I wonder if there's a select group of Vikings fans who cream themselves at the thought of Peterson being traded
Posted Image
0

#11 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 291
  • Joined: 24-January 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 27 March 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

I can't get into another debate about trading Revis again. I just can't. Ill just say that a bunch of you are full of shit because if he's dealt you'll all bitch that the Jets don't have any CBs who can cover receivers. I wonder if there's a select group of Vikings fans who cream themselves at the thought of Peterson being traded


I don't want Revis traded either, but you're comparing apples and oranges by bringing up Peterson. Peterson is locked into a long term agreement with (I think) no history of holding out. Revis is a pending free agent who has a history of holding out to get the deal he wants.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach
0

#12 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,162
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

View Postsexyrexy, on 28 March 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

I don't want Revis traded either, but you're comparing apples and oranges by bringing up Peterson. Peterson is locked into a long term agreement with (I think) no history of holding out. Revis is a pending free agent who has a history of holding out to get the deal he wants.


My point was that there aren't really fans of other teams besides the Jets that are so eager and willing to trade away(at least it isn't as evident in my opinion) their once in a lifetime elite, game changing superstar. You could just as easily I'm that sentence substitute Peterson for a Patrick Willis or Calvin Johnson type
Posted Image
0

#13 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 291
  • Joined: 24-January 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 28 March 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

My point was that there aren't really fans of other teams besides the Jets that are so eager and willing to trade away(at least it isn't as evident in my opinion) their once in a lifetime elite, game changing superstar. You could just as easily I'm that sentence substitute Peterson for a Patrick Willis or Calvin Johnson type


The Revis situation is unique from them as well for the same reasons. Even as someone who wants Revis on the team, I have to admit that much.


Except for a select few, I don't think anyone was just going around screaming "TRADE REVIS" before all these rumors started surfacing. Now that those rumors are out there, some people think it would be best for the team's future to accelerate the rebuilding process. I understand both sides of the argument.

"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach
0

#14 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,162
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Some would want him traded for a box of condoms...but that's neither here nor there
Posted Image
0

#15 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,765
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

the jets do not want to part ways with the best defensive player in football and the bets player they've had in decades. the problem is the business side. there is teh cap, how much he will cost to keep, how much other needs we have, and what we can get. idzyk has to weigh his options. if revis walks next ear and we get nothing it would be a huge fail, if he pays him 15 mil it could hamper the teams cap room, if he trades and doesn't get anything good in rturn (bad value and picks bad players) he'll look bad. he has to wieght his optioins
0

#16 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,140
  • Joined: 04-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boca Raton, FL

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 March 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

What if Teddy Bridgewater breaks his arm in seven places and never plays football again?

Anyway, first off, we don't know what Revis wants and we don't know what the Jets want. I can tell you that Rex Ryan wants Revis here and since Rex Ryan is either a lame duck coach who will be fired or Woody's Rasputin who is making all the personnel decisions, we don't know wtf is going on in Florham Park. We do know one thing: Revis wants to be paid. We also know that the Jets are going to have a shit ton of money in 2014, 2015 and 2016. The "leaked" numbers from Revis' deal is about $13.5M per year, which is basically what we paid him on his last deal. I'm less certain the Jets are going to trade him than I was a month ago.

The Bucs offer is bullshit. I hate that people are even taking it seriously. Yea, next year's draft is projected to be better, but who cares? I guarantee you that there will be players who aren't even mocked today who will go in the Top 15 in 2014 and vice versa. The standard for discountieng draft picks is one round per future year. The Bucs are essentially giving us a 2nd and 3rd in 2013. I think that that's cheap as hell and the Jets can get that type of offer anytime. If we're dead set on trading Revis, which no one know for sure we are since we have no idea who's making personnel decisions, we'd be wise to hold out for a better package.

Very well said SHJ
0

#17 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 27 March 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

The Bucs reprtedly have worked out a deal with Revis where he'd make a little over $13M a year. Where are you coming up with $18M?


Easy....9 million for this year & the 9 million in dead money he counts against next year's cap. 9+9=18
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#18 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7,489
  • Joined: 28-November 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 29 March 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Easy....9 million for this year & the 9 million in dead money he counts against next year's cap. 9+9=18


He won't count as dead money against the cap in 2014 because the Jets won't cut him. He has the option to opt out of the contract, if he does, that contract is nullified.
0

#19 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,650
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 29 March 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

He won't count as dead money against the cap in 2014 because the Jets won't cut him. He has the option to opt out of the contract, if he does, that contract is nullified.


If he leaves via free agency, he counts 9 million against the cap in dead money in 2014. Check again.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users