NYJetsFan.com Forums: Gay Nfl Player To Come Out Publicly Soon - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop game vs packers MNf next
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) we did give up a 18 point lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) so we fucked up and lost
bleedsgreen Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) True
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) time to get ready for MNF
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) Well it sucks when you start to feel the jets are going to lose the game them selves
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) the Vick play worthless
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) that run on 3rd and 5 worthless
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) chris Johnson also I don't know what his numbers were but ivory seemed to be a better back
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM) Marty just picks the worse time to call those wildcat plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM) they are drive killers
ROBJETS Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:27 PM) Problem is the corners. We knew this before the start of the season. I was amazed at how well they did last week and the first half but eventually the weakness showed
ROBJETS Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:28 PM) The corner positions will be addressed next year. Technically we are still in a rebuilding phase.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:39 PM) we did go toe to toe against a SB contender and we really shouldn't be heartbroken but if you call yourself a JETS fan and aren't a little pissed over a W that we had in our control then you need to go and hand in your JETS gear ... I'm looking at you 115
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:24 PM) 18 penalties in 2 games
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:25 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:27 PM) Geno dropped from #1 to #28 in TOTAL QBR
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:10 PM) Cutler just got popped right in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:11 PM) that was a squared up right in the middle of the chest hit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:13 PM) nice one handed catch by Marshall
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) NFL rules state that only the head coach can call a timeout on the sidelines…

Except in Green Bay where anybody up to the third row can call a timeout.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) I love NFL memes
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 11:30 PM) Well I will be at the game next Monday night
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 11:30 PM) So I will be doing everything I can to help our team win!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (15 September 2014 - 10:15 AM) 2nd year in a row we should be 2-0
santana Icon : (15 September 2014 - 12:17 PM) TIMEOUT!!
santana Icon : (15 September 2014 - 08:05 PM) SPIDER Y 2 BANANA
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (15 September 2014 - 08:44 PM) FIRE IDZIK
santana Icon : (15 September 2014 - 08:54 PM) Eagles need to START SANCHEZ abandon the foles ship
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 September 2014 - 11:08 AM) Good morning
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 September 2014 - 11:08 AM) FIRE IDZIK
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 03:40 PM) The title race is REAL
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 03:40 PM) Liverpool wtf pk minute 90
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 03:40 PM) 05 probably doing an air guitar
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 September 2014 - 04:34 PM) How was milber?
santana Icon : (16 September 2014 - 09:25 PM) Milber for prez
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:57 AM) santana you've ruined this site
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:01 PM) Cool you should share your thoughts in a post
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:02 PM) Round up the guys and be like hey we hate this guy so what can we do to fix what's broken
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:05 PM) meh no thanks, everyone else is fine. i just hop on every now and then
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:07 PM) Enjoy your stay then
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:09 PM) Seems like the jets could be without decker for a while
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:03 PM) UEFA TIME
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:03 PM) Mawae 2015 Hof for sure
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) Jeromeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jetsrule1006 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:50 PM) The real question is why isn't #68 jersey retired
Resize Shouts Area

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Gay Nfl Player To Come Out Publicly Soon sh!t about to hit the fan

#21 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yeah because things like touchdown dances, sack dances, and even players having their own Twiiter accounts don't take attention away from the team.

But Chris you're right, the guy(s) in the NFL who are gay should have came out back in high school. Because this gay NFL player back in high school knew he'd be playing in the NFL one day. He's not only gay, but he's psychic too. :rolleyes:

If it weren't for that 140 characters nonsense I'd get a Twiiter account to reply to stupid shit like that.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#22 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

IDGAF about someone coming out but I'd never buy my kid his jersey or anything like that. It has nothing to do with religion, but I think that homosexuality is a disorder in a pure Darwinism sense. As a mammal male, we have one responsibility (strictly biologically speaking) and that is to spread our seed as many times as we can. Now obviously we've evolved from cavepeople who raped whoever they found with the hopes of continuing on their genealogy... but we're actually descendent from those most successful rapists and breeders. Thats why we're here. If any one in our family tree was homosexual, they would have died out and not passed on their genes to us. Its the same thing with any other unfavorable condition or even lifelong illness. The ones that were too small, too dumb, too brave, too slow or lame or hunchback or deformed, they all perished. The fact that someone is gay, to me, shows that they are not on course with nature. All this rainbow flag toting and marriage equality is fine. I don't hate gays, I have gay friends etc etc. Having just become a father and witnessing a boy being born who is basically a mini version of me, I would never encourage my son to think that being gay was "cool" or someone he should look up to.

In all honesty, I know this is going to sound terrible, but in my eyes, being gay is akin to someone having a terminal illness like cancer or AIDS. Not in the sense that they will die from being gay, but they will never be able to pass on their genes unless they go to a petri dish, get a surrogate and that whole thing... not that some won't, but most can't afford that. They will live out their lives and then there will be nothing left of them just like when the caveman who was too small to hunt or too slow to outrun a wild animal or too stupid to figure out how to use weapons or too brave to not go over the cliff died. It's all evolution.

#23 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 29 March 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

But Chris you're right, the guy(s) in the NFL who are gay should have came out back in high school. Because this gay NFL player back in high school knew he'd be playing in the NFL one day. He's not only gay, but he's psychic too. :rolleyes:/>

What he's saying is that if the player truly wants to be "out", why did he wait until he's on a national stage to do it? Clearly hiding the fact that you're gay for about 7-8 years and then coming out when you're in the NFL has it's bonuses, like being the gay Jackie Robinson. Not that Jackie Robinson hid being black until he got to Brooklyn, but that's what the immediate comparisons would be. Clearly whoever this player is, at least a part of the motivation to finally come out is to be the one "breaking the barrier". With that comes multiple endorsement deals, etc etc. Whoever is going to do it (and someone will do it sooner rather than later) they will instantly become a Top 5 recognizable athlete in the NFL. To his point, he's basically saying "you can be gay, but don't come out at the expense of the team" because whoever comes out, is going to be the face of that franchise whether the franchise wants that or not.

#24 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 29 March 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

IDGAF about someone coming out but I'd never buy my kid his jersey or anything like that. It has nothing to do with religion, but I think that homosexuality is a disorder in a pure Darwinism sense. As a mammal male, we have one responsibility (strictly biologically speaking) and that is to spread our seed as many times as we can. Now obviously we've evolved from cavepeople who raped whoever they found with the hopes of continuing on their genealogy... but we're actually descendent from those most successful rapists and breeders. Thats why we're here. If any one in our family tree was homosexual, they would have died out and not passed on their genes to us. Its the same thing with any other unfavorable condition or even lifelong illness. The ones that were too small, too dumb, too brave, too slow or lame or hunchback or deformed, they all perished. The fact that someone is gay, to me, shows that they are not on course with nature. All this rainbow flag toting and marriage equality is fine. I don't hate gays, I have gay friends etc etc. Having just become a father and witnessing a boy being born who is basically a mini version of me, I would never encourage my son to think that being gay was "cool" or someone he should look up to.

In all honesty, I know this is going to sound terrible, but in my eyes, being gay is akin to someone having a terminal illness like cancer or AIDS. Not in the sense that they will die from being gay, but they will never be able to pass on their genes unless they go to a petri dish, get a surrogate and that whole thing... not that some won't, but most can't afford that. They will live out their lives and then there will be nothing left of them just like when the caveman who was too small to hunt or too slow to outrun a wild animal or too stupid to figure out how to use weapons or too brave to not go over the cliff died. It's all evolution.

:hysterical: What website did you get that from?
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#25 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 29 March 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

What he's saying is that if the player truly wants to be "out", why did he wait until he's on a national stage to do it? Clearly hiding the fact that you're gay for about 7-8 years and then coming out when you're in the NFL has it's bonuses, like being the gay Jackie Robinson. Not that Jackie Robinson hid being black until he got to Brooklyn, but that's what the immediate comparisons would be. Clearly whoever this player is, at least a part of the motivation to finally come out is to be the one "breaking the barrier". With that comes multiple endorsement deals, etc etc. Whoever is going to do it (and someone will do it sooner rather than later) they will instantly become a Top 5 recognizable athlete in the NFL. To his point, he's basically saying "you can be gay, but don't come out at the expense of the team" because whoever comes out, is going to be the face of that franchise whether the franchise wants that or not.

What I'm saying is how was this player suppose to know he was going to make it all the way to the NFL back when he was in high school? Why should that teenage kid have chosen to come out on somebody else's timetable based entirely on what MIGHT happen in the future? Why should he have risked being disowned by his family, treated like an outcast in his community, and risked being discriminated against for the rest of his life, all because he MIGHT be playing in the NFL one day. And that's all IF that gay teenage football player is willing to accept to himself the fact that he is gay. Many gay people during those teenage years deny that they're gay to themselves and don't accept it until they become adults.

Let me ask you this question and be honest (don't Google it our look it up). What is the name of the one and only openly gay United States senator? Don't look it up. What is that senator's name? Then tell me how that senator being openly gay takes attention away from the leaders of the senate like Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell, and how that senator being openly gay keeps the senate from doing what they're supposed to do. Is this openly gay senator on TV all the time? Is this openly gay senator in the newspaper all the time? Is this openly gay senator the "face of the senate?"

You soccer fans can answer this question better than I can. But I remember hearing there was an openly gay soccer player in one of those European leagues. If that's true, how much media attention does he take away from his teammates because of his sexuality? Was it just a story for a while and then it eventually became non-factor as his career went on?
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#26 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 29 March 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

You soccer fans can answer this question better than I can. But I remember hearing there was an openly gay soccer player in one of those European leagues. If that's true, how much media attention does he take away from his teammates because of his sexuality? Was it just a story for a while and then it eventually became non-factor as his career went on?

Well I don't know about in Europe, but I know that Robbie Rogers (age 25) from the USMNT just came out a couple of months ago (give or take) and then subsequently retired.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 29 March 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

:hysterical:/> What website did you get that from?

Wtf you talking about? That's all me.

#28 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 29 March 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

If you're going to use science to argue against homosexuality, at least do some research before hand. Here is something to start you off: http://www.newscient...osexuality.html

#29 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 29 March 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Wtf you talking about? That's all me.

Really? I thought you were smarter than that. You do know there were homosexual "cavemen" too don't you? If anything homosexuality is nature's way of population control. Just imagine if every single human being that has ever lived to reproductive age had produced a child. The earth's resources would have been long gone. There would not have been enough land, food, and water for the human race to last as long as it has if every human male that has ever lived produced a child since the beginning of the human race. Overpopulation would be worse than underpopulation. That's one of the reasons China limits the amount of children their people can have. They already have over a billion people.

Plus you do realize that there have been plenty of gay men throughout history that have fathered children? The dad on The Brady Bunch was gay in real life but he still managed to have sex with a woman and father a child despite being gay. And we have no shortage of men who like to spread their seed and then move on (Cromartie) so I think the human race will be fine. We don't have any more gay people today (percentage wise) than we did 500 years ago. Homosexuality was around long before we were born and it'll be around long after we're dead. I'm more concerned about the world catching on fire or Manhattan becoming Atlantis because of the melting polar ice caps, than I am about gay men not spreading their seed leading to the end of the human race.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#30 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 29 March 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

If anything homosexuality is nature's way of population control.

Absolutely. That's exactly what I was saying. To me, homosexuality is a condition that a certain segment of the population is born with that precludes them from reproducing. There are exceptions but for the most parts, people who are homosexual do not have biological offsprings and from an evolutionary standpoint, that's population control.

Plus you do realize that there have been plenty of gay men throughout history that have fathered children?

Yea, but many more didn't. How far back do you want to go with this? I mean, Alexander the Great was a gay man who had one child in 32 years. As opposed to Gengis Khan who was of equal "power" and fathered several hundred. Now granted Khan live to be like 60, but still. The genes of Alexander the Great could've greatly benefitted human kind... or maybe not, we'll never know and that's the point. Great men like Khan took to their seed spreading with the same seriousness than they did everything else. At his death, his sons inherited something like 10,000 men armies EACH. They say that one out of 20 people in the world is related to Gengis Khan, that's the ultimate legacy. Alexander's homosexuality resulted in him not having an heir and his empire falling apart.

More to the point, I don't feel how I feel as some historian or genealogist or whatever. That's my feelings as a father and my concern about my son growing up. I want my son to be straight and to father a bunch of kids. I don't want him to be careless with his "fathering" but I do hope that he has several sons. That's just me and my instinct looking out for my best interests.

And we have no shortage of men who like to spread their seed and then move on (Cromartie) so I think the human race will be fine.

Again, I wasn't philosophizing about the human race. IDGAF about what happens a millenia from now to be honest. I was speaking as a father of a son and how I would feel about an NFL player coming out of the closet. I wouldn't say "oh he's stupid *beep* blab blah blah" but I'd warn my son about emulating him... kinda like if my son somehow start idolizing Magic Johnson. "Magic was a great ballplayer and arguably an even better business man, however, his poor decision making lead him to catch a virus that changed his life forever. If you want to be famous and you want to be rich, don't make the same mistake Magic did. You can't stick your dick in everything." would be my mantra on him.

We don't have any more gay people today (percentage wise) than we did 500 years ago.

There's no way to prove or disprove that but I think that modern culture makes it very easy to "be gay". I can see it even in our generation vs. this next one. I have no idea how many high school girls identify themselves as "gay" today, but it feels like atleast half whereas when I went to high school, there were 2 or 3 and this was not even 15 years ago.

#31 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostChaos, on 29 March 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

If you're going to use science to argue against homosexuality, at least do some research before hand. Here is something to start you off: http://www.newscient...osexuality.html

That was probably one of the worst written science articles I've ever read. It reads as "oh homosexuality doesn't exist why you think it does but we don't know why it does it just does and it may exist why you think it does but look at this birds they're bisexual". I learned literally zero reading that.

#32 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 30 March 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Absolutely. That's exactly what I was saying. To me, homosexuality is a condition that a certain segment of the population is born with that precludes them from reproducing. There are exceptions but for the most parts, people who are homosexual do not have biological offsprings and from an evolutionary standpoint, that's population control.

So in conclusion nature (or God) knows what it is doing by making some people homosexual. So thankfully there is homosexuality so we don't have too much reproducing.

Yea, but many more didn't. How far back do you want to go with this? I mean, Alexander the Great was a gay man who had one child in 32 years. As opposed to Gengis Khan who was of equal "power" and fathered several hundred. Now granted Khan live to be like 60, but still. The genes of Alexander the Great could've greatly benefitted human kind... or maybe not, we'll never know and that's the point. Great men like Khan took to their seed spreading with the same seriousness than they did everything else. At his death, his sons inherited something like 10,000 men armies EACH. They say that one out of 20 people in the world is related to Gengis Khan, that's the ultimate legacy. Alexander's homosexuality resulted in him not having an heir and his empire falling apart.

Most of that one in 20 lives in Asia and most of them live in poverty. Perhaps if Khan had kept it in his pants more, most of his offspring wouldn't be living in squalor today. Most of his offspring is living on less than a dollar a day as farmers. Plus there is no factual evidence that Alexander the Great was a homosexual and we do not know exactly why he didn't have more children. He could have had health problems that kept that from happening, his wife could have health problems, Alexander could have been more monogamous than Khan was. He could have been more of a fighter than a lover. But the fact that Khan lived around 30 years longer than Alexander did can't be glossed over. Khan had more time to "spread his seed." Khan was able to leave his sons those thousands of men because by the time Khan died his sons were adults. His sons could lead those men by the time Khan died. Alexander on the other hand died when his son was still too young to lead Alexander's empire. Alexander's sudden death at a young age had more to do with his empire falling apart than his possible homosexuality. Then you also have to factor in that they were from different cultures over a millennium apart.

More to the point, I don't feel how I feel as some historian or genealogist or whatever. That's my feelings as a father and my concern about my son growing up. I want my son to be straight and to father a bunch of kids. I don't want him to be careless with his "fathering" but I do hope that he has several sons. That's just me and my instinct looking out for my best interests.

I'm sure there are a lot of fathers of gay sons who wanted their sons to be straight too. I hate to burst your bubble but you don't have any control over your son's sexuality and neither does your son. If your son 20 years from now tells you he is gay that also means he's gay right now too. He would've been born that way. But even if he's straight that doesn't mean he will have children. He may decide that he doesn't want to have children and get a vasectomy. He may feel the world is over populated enough and make a conscious choice never to have children. When he becomes an adult (a teenager really) he will have his own opinions and beliefs that might not be the same as yours. Plus the woman he marries may not be able to carry a child or she may not want to go through childbirth, and he might still love her despite all that. Plus there is no guarantee his children will have children. Abraham Lincoln had four sons, but their is nobody alive today carrying his bloodline.

Again, I wasn't philosophizing about the human race. IDGAF about what happens a millenia from now to be honest. I was speaking as a father of a son and how I would feel about an NFL player coming out of the closet. I wouldn't say "oh he's stupid *beep* blab blah blah" but I'd warn my son about emulating him... kinda like if my son somehow start idolizing Magic Johnson. "Magic was a great ballplayer and arguably an even better business man, however, his poor decision making lead him to catch a virus that changed his life forever. If you want to be famous and you want to be rich, don't make the same mistake Magic did. You can't stick your dick in everything." would be my mantra on him.

Again your son or any child for that matter is not going to care about an athlete's private life. Back in the 90s I never cared about Shaq's private life or Barry Sanders' private life. They could've been gay for all I cared, I just wanted to dunk like Shaq and run like Barry. That's all a kid would care about if a NFL player came out today. It would be a story for a while but that player's performance on the field will determine his popularity. Your son is going to emulate whatever is popular at that time. And if that gay NFL player is a great player and is popular and your son's friends are wearing that gay player's jersey, your son is going to ask you to buy him that gay player's jersey too. Like I said, he is going to have his own beliefs and opinions as he grows older. Especially when he starts going to school and interacts more people.

There's no way to prove or disprove that but I think that modern culture makes it very easy to "be gay". I can see it even in our generation vs. this next one. I have no idea how many high school girls identify themselves as "gay" today, but it feels like atleast half whereas when I went to high school, there were 2 or 3 and this was not even 15 years ago.

I don't know any high school girls today, so I don't know. But the world is changing and people who are gay are more willing to come out now because society is more accepting now, even more than 10 years ago. I'm sure there were more than just 2 or 3 in your high school. It was just that those 2 or 3 that admitted it were the ones that felt comfortable coming out, while the others chose to stay in the closet.

Maybe they knew since they were women that they could stay in the closet while in high school since they wouldn't be going to the NFL and have to worry about taking attention away from their team.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#33 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 29 March 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Well I don't know about in Europe, but I know that Robbie Rogers (age 25) from the USMNT just came out a couple of months ago (give or take) and then subsequently retired.

Very interesting interview with him here:

http://www.guardian....-coming-out-gay

And SHJ, my jaw hit the floor when I read what you posted earlier. That's the kind of opinion that's best kept private than made public on a forum like this.

#34 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 31 March 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

And SHJ, my jaw hit the floor when I read what you posted earlier. That's the kind of opinion that's best kept private than made public on a forum like this.

Yeah but he likes being controversial and different...
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

I can understand him though. I see his point of a person wanting to carry on their bloodline and their genes. Wanting to make sure a piece of you continues on after you're gone. But I think there are too many things that can keep that from happening and we shouldn't burden or children with or own wants and desires. We have to remember just because we want something for our kids, that doesn't mean they want that for themselves. But that part about homosexuality being like a terminal illness is just ridiculous.

If there is an openly gay player in the NFL and that player is also a great player, there will be little that SecondHand or anybody else could do to stop his son from emulating that player. Peer pressure is very powerful and if his friends are going around emulating that gay player, he's going to do that out on the playground too. Despite what Dad says.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#36 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 31 March 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Again your son or any child for that matter is not going to care about an athlete's private life. Back in the 90s I never cared about Shaq's private life or Barry Sanders' private life.

This is the only point you made that I disagree with. Growing up, we had no idea how big of an asshole MJ was but we know wayyyyyyy to much about LBJ. I'm not even a Heat fan but I can name you the name of his wife, his mother and his 2 kids. I know that Wade left his butt ugly wife who held him down through Marquette and had his two sons and he's now with Gabrielle Union. I can make you a "6 degrees of Separation" chart for 30 athletes using just a Kardashian! All this is too damn much! We never had any of this info for out sports heroes because we grew up in an era when not everyone even had cable. My son won't know what a house phone is but he'll probably be on twitter, facebook or whatever they roll out in the next half decade all before he goes to junior highschool. The amount of personal info available on ANY athlete is absurd. The minute an NFL NBA or MLB player "comes out", he's going to live under a mircoscope. You won't care about it but you'll be over exposed to it. Imagine "the summer of Tim Tebow" only tripled and for several years. That's what's going to happen. How will it affect my son? Probably won't... but what if that player is the franchise player on his favorite team? What if the said player is Revis? Imagine? The only good player on a dreadful team? Who else is he going to root for? It'll put me in a pretty bad spot "Oh he's awesome, except for when he goes home to that guy you keep seeing him photographed with, don't do that... that's not okay".

I really hope it isn't Revis because FlyHi will finally snap.

#37 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 31 March 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Yeah but he likes being controversial and different...

Am I being controversial? I don't want my son to be gay. Are any of you fathers? Tell me honestly, as a parent, would you not be crushed if your son or daughter was gay? All I'm saying is that young boys usually have two role models: their father and a sports figure. It's not sexist or gender rolish to say that, it's true. I loved my dad and I loved MJ growing up. I'm just concerned that if by some Murphy's Law, the sports figure my son starts to idolize leads a life style that I think is detrimental to my son's future... and yes, as stated above, I view homosexuality as being detrimental to that person's biological "duty".

#38 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 31 March 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

This is the only point you made that I disagree with. Growing up, we had no idea how big of an asshole MJ was but we know wayyyyyyy to much about LBJ. I'm not even a Heat fan but I can name you the name of his wife, his mother and his 2 kids. I know that Wade left his butt ugly wife who held him down through Marquette and had his two sons and he's now with Gabrielle Union. I can make you a "6 degrees of Separation" chart for 30 athletes using just a Kardashian! All this is too damn much! We never had any of this info for out sports heroes because we grew up in an era when not everyone even had cable. My son won't know what a house phone is but he'll probably be on twitter, facebook or whatever they roll out in the next half decade all before he goes to junior highschool. The amount of personal info available on ANY athlete is absurd.

Well I'm a Lakers fan and I don't know the names of Kobe Bryant's daughters. I don't know Darrelle Revis' children's names. In fact I didn't even know he had children until I was looking up personal info on him because of that Revis trade thread. And I'm on the internet everyday and I watch ESPN everyday (along with NLFN and NBA TV). So if you know so much about LeBron's and D. Wade's personal lives that is because you seek out that info. Or you run across it because you go to media outlets that "report" that kind of tabloid information. I don't go to TMZ's website, I don't read page six of the NY Post, and I don't watch Basketball Wives. So that's probably why I don't know about their personal lives. Or I did know it at one point but didn't feel it was necessary to file that information away in my memory. You remember what you choose to remember. I don't know what LeBron's children's names are, but I know all of George H.W. Bush's surviving children's names (George W., John Ellis [Jeb], Neil, Marvin and Dorothy). That probably has more to do with me going to websites like the Washington Post's and watching CNN more than gossip media outlets. You take in the info you're saturated with, that's what it comes down to. I don't think a gay NFL player is going to be as groundbreaking in 10 or 15 years as it would be now. Once one guy comes out and isn't tarred and feathered, others will follow him.

The minute an NFL NBA or MLB player "comes out", he's going to live under a mircoscope. You won't care about it but you'll be over exposed to it. Imagine "the summer of Tim Tebow" only tripled and for several years. That's what's going to happen. How will it affect my son? Probably won't... but what if that player is the franchise player on his favorite team? What if the said player is Revis? Imagine? The only good player on a dreadful team? Who else is he going to root for? It'll put me in a pretty bad spot "Oh he's awesome, except for when he goes home to that guy you keep seeing him photographed with, don't do that... that's not okay".

They already live under a microscope. Again it is not going to be as big of a deal in 10 years as it is now. It seems this is more your hang up than your son's (when he's old enough to understand these things). Like I said you won't be the only one influencing him. Gay people will one day soon have the right to marry and the obstacles for them to start a family will be long gone 15 years from now. It is VERY possible that your son will have a friend in school who's parents are a gay couple. So if that kid invites your son over to his house to play "Madden 2028," are you going to say "no you can't go, because I don't want you around that kid's parents because they are a same-sex couple?" Is he going to think that is fair when he's 15 or 16 years old? When he goes off to college how are you going to stop that? His views on same-sex marriage and gay people in general will be shaped more by society than by what Dad says. He's going to be exposed to things that you'll have no control over, and he might not see a "gay Revis" as big of a problem as you do. Especially if all his friends like "gay Revis" too.

15 years from now...
You: "Gay Revis" is an awesome player yeah, but look at him on the cover of People magazine with his husband and their new baby.
Son: So what? That looks like a pic on my friend Jake's parent's Facebook page.

I really hope it isn't Revis because FlyHi will finally snap.

Luckily internet muscles can't hurt people.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#39 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Again I ask, how is the one openly gay senator we currently have taking attention away from the other senators and holding up the senate's business?
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#40 User is offline   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Word on the street that the gay player is Kerry Rhodes.
And its not just one player. There's 4 players itching to come out.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users