NYJetsFan.com Forums: Top 3 Picks - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

2014 NYJetsFan Fantasy League sign up: http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38425
santana Icon : (16 August 2014 - 11:55 PM) Gotta fix that
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:35 PM) Is anyone else as concerned as I am about the secondary?
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:36 PM) I know it's preseason and all but even with Milliner in on the first game we gave up a TD on the first drive to the Colts
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:37 PM) Patterson looked like me out there and Wilson got torched last night
Smedsthejet Icon : (17 August 2014 - 02:26 PM) Concerned about the right side of the OLine too - too many penalties and Giacomini wasn't that much better than against the Colts when he was poor
SackExchange71 Icon : (17 August 2014 - 02:31 PM) Imo i still think howard is better then giacomini..Wish they never let him walk.Giacomini had alot of flags in seattle also
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:33 AM) Howard recieved a huge contract in Oakland. Way over his actual value.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 10:08 AM) So did we make a trade for a CB yet?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:51 PM) Milliner did suffer a high ankle sprain, that sucks. could linger all year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:52 PM) I think Patterson sucked vs the Colts because he was injured, which he always is.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:49 PM) As much as people criticized Tannanbaum for spending too much. It's starting to look like Idzik is going to be too cheap.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) You get what you pay for and when you let quality players go because you don't want to pay them, this is what happens. You're left with scrub players.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 07:55 PM) I'm still on board with the Idzik plan. Even with Revis and Revis we still are not going to the SB this year. But the down time sucks. If Milliner comes back healthy by week 3 or so we should be fine.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 08:18 PM) Regardless of our SB chances this year or next year. If Idzik keeps acting like a cheapskate and continues to let quality players go, we won't have to worry about winning much of anything this decade.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) He wants to build through the draft. Not blow the bank on FA. I get what your saying but there is a balance and right now we are not one or two pieces away.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:00 PM) It's not about being one or two pieces away. It's about keeping the good pieces you have and building upon that.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:04 PM) But there is no sense in trying to build through the draft if he's only going to end up letting the good players he picks up go in FA after a few years. All because he wants to do things on the cheap.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:02 AM) FIRE IDZIK
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 08:33 AM) out side of Revis who left we should have kept?
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 08:34 AM) The Revis deal sucks but $16 million was too much for a CB and once he was gone he was not coming back.
Mr_Jet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 11:00 AM) Matt Slauson
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 01:00 PM) Eh. I think with our current cap situation we will be able to retain guys like Wilkerson and whomever we want to keep. We are in a good position right now.
Mr_Jet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 01:49 PM) Time will tell.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 02:00 PM) landed revis abck. got DRC, nope we take patterson who got owned and always hurt. milner always hurt. 3rd round CB done for season. were gonna get passed on all day
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 02:44 PM) Yea the DRC bit makes me iffy
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 03:35 PM) better then patterson
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 05:45 PM) No I mean the fact that he whiffed on him.
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 05:46 PM) I'm not saying Idzik is perfect. I just like the direction we are heading. It's going to take some patience.
RetireChrebet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 06:27 PM) I like how our lack of secondary is the hot topic right now. The bigger issue is we still will not be able to throw the ball. We are not going to do much of anything regardless until we get a QB. Sorry for being so negative just my honest opinion.
RetireChrebet Icon : (19 August 2014 - 06:29 PM) With that said I think our running game with CJ and Powell will be top 10 or somewhere around there
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 06:35 PM) i have faith that if geno messes up that vick can come in and do well. but i have 0 faith in our secondary right now which has been our strong point for the past 4 years or so
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:35 PM) I agree 115. but the one thing is Rex has done some good things in the past with shitty DBs and still had a solid D going back to his years in BAL
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:37 PM) Corey Ivy CB
36 Jim Leonhard SS/PR
43 Haruki Nakamura FS
25 Evan Oglesby CB
20 Ed Reed FS
22 Samari Rolle CB
39 Daren Stone FS
41 Frank Walker CB
31 Fabian Washington in 2008
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:39 PM) Reed is a HOF but Rolle was way past his prime
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:41 PM) SNOOPY BOWL FRIDAY!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2014 - 07:41 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (19 August 2014 - 08:26 PM) I assume we will pick up a guy after the cuts happen.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (19 August 2014 - 10:14 PM) we'll see but I think we see better QB play than we have in a while.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Yesterday, 08:54 AM) disgusted with my local programming, instead of jets and giants they are airing the raiders vs packers..wtf
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:23 AM) Glad I don't live up there anymore haha
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:59 PM) The JETS are #6 in the Forbes List for most franchise value
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:59 PM) The Buffalo Jills are #31 and the Miami Dolphags are #16 respectively
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:00 PM) The JETS are worth $1.8 billion
jet-man Icon : (Yesterday, 10:03 PM) that's less than the clippers
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 01:07 PM) I'm very excited with the amount of preseason touchdowns the Jets have
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Top 3 Picks Who do you think we should pick?

#1 User is offline   JETS RULE Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Well now since we have bid farewell to Revis and are working with 2 1st Round picks.I read plenty of mock drafts over the last few months, and I thought it would be fun to see what we the fans think would be good choices for us early on. Have fun with it here are my choices

9. Barkeivous Mingo- most talked about guy at our spot, when he bulks up some would help our pass rush immensely.

13. Tavon Austin: let's face it fellas, our biggest problem last season was we had no playmakers on offense. While on the small side, he has the potential to be a matchup nightmare because we can line him up at several different positions and his speed is off the charts

39. Zach Ertz- yet another playmaker to help Sanchez who needs all the help he can get at this point. Big solid guy with reliable hands, should be a great red-zone target.

In later rounds we can focus on fixing the other holes like the o-line and getting safety help. I really think we need to focus this draft on fixing our offense because they reeked last year, our D will be fine even without Revis.

#2 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Draft is such a crapshoot.. I'll just go with the guy with the interesting name Barkeivous Mingo

Also with sanchez leading the way the jets only hope will be through the defense. Investing more talent into the offense can only get the jets so far before sanchez throws another ridiculous INT.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#3 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I hate all your picks.

Mingo scares me... the production isn't there in LSU. Maybe Rex can turn him into something, but at #9, you want to be as close to a sure thing as possible. On top of that, there's some questions about his size... buy honestly reminds me of Maybin a little too much.

Tavon Austin is good, but I think that he's a beneficiary of a very weak WR class. He's a good early 2nd round pick that's going to get drafted 20 spots too soon because there isn't a complete WR in this draft. To me, he's a slot WR. He's not as big as Desean Jackson and to me, it's scary to invest an early pick into a guy who may not get open against taller CBs. Rememeber, this kid is 5'8" in shoes and although he's fast, he's not a record setting trackstar that can sprint away from guys. If he's got 2 steps on a 6 foot CB, he's still covered because he's so damn little. Not knocking him or his production, I just think that in the top half of the 1st round, you go with a prototypical WR or you don't go with a WR at all.

Ertz to me is a guy that does everything okay and nothing great. He's had too many drops to be considered having great hands. He's not a great blocker and he's not fast. What does he bring to the table? He'll be a solid pro, but again, at #39, you want someone that's polished in at least one area. He won't provide good pass protection, he won't be that safety blanket that will make difficult catches look routine and he won't elude NFL DBs or safeties after the catch. Again, too high a pick for what he is.

My draft:

9. Dion Jordan or trade down.
13. Star Louteli
13b. Either one of the elite Gs (Warmack or Cooper)
39. If we draft Jordan and Star, this pick has to be OL. If not, go BPA (which may be a S or one of the OLBs that are sure to drop (I think that Jarvis Jones might actually fall here because his draft stock is taking a beating, Bjoern Werner or Margus Hunt perhaps)

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I would be happy with those picks. Mingo is a risk, but if Rex and co believes in him as a pass rusher I would defer to them. He has a lot of talent though.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   RUJebus Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 24 April 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Tavon Austin is good, but I think that he's a beneficiary of a very weak WR class. He's a good early 2nd round pick that's going to get drafted 20 spots too soon because there isn't a complete WR in this draft. To me, he's a slot WR. He's not as big as Desean Jackson and to me, it's scary to invest an early pick into a guy who may not get open against taller CBs. Rememeber, this kid is 5'8" in shoes and although he's fast, he's not a record setting trackstar that can sprint away from guys. If he's got 2 steps on a 6 foot CB, he's still covered because he's so damn little. Not knocking him or his production, I just think that in the top half of the 1st round, you go with a prototypical WR or you don't go with a WR at all.

Excellent points! Tavon Austin will be the biggest reach in this draft. Many analysts compare him to Percy Harvin, but Harvin is bigger and taller than Austin, and just as fast. And even then Harvin was taken at #22 in the draft. Spending a top 15 pick on Austin is doing the team a disservice. You just don't spend a top 15 pick on a slot receiver unless you are a team with very few holes and can take the chance on a playmaker.

If I had my choice, I would take the #9 and trade it for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year (more, if possible) and then take one of the two guards (Warmack, Cooper) with the 13th. If neither are there at 13, take BPA (we need help everywhere). Even better would be if we can trade the #9 back to #16/17 and pick up a 2nd that way, and then still trade the #16/17 for another second this year next year's first, but I doubt this will happen.

This draft class has very few studs at the top. Sign some veteran free agents on one-year deals as a stop gap for next year's draft.

#6 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostRUJebus, on 24 April 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

[/size]

Excellent points! Tavon Austin will be the biggest reach in this draft. Many analysts compare him to Percy Harvin, but Harvin is bigger and taller than Austin, and just as fast. And even then Harvin was taken at #22 in the draft. Spending a top 15 pick on Austin is doing the team a disservice. You just don't spend a top 15 pick on a slot receiver unless you are a team with very few holes and can take the chance on a playmaker.

If I had my choice, I would take the #9 and trade it for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year (more, if possible) and then take one of the two guards (Warmack, Cooper) with the 13th. If neither are there at 13, take BPA (we need help everywhere). Even better would be if we can trade the #9 back to #16/17 and pick up a 2nd that way, and then still trade the #16/17 for another second this year next year's first, but I doubt this will happen.

This draft class has very few studs at the top. Sign some veteran free agents on one-year deals as a stop gap for next year's draft.

As that's the case, surely if there is going to be trade action, then teams aren't going to give up small fortunes in order to move up just a few spots? I can see the merits of trading now, but I can't see the front office picking up a first next year or a bounty of picks given how this year's class grades out.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users