NYJetsFan.com Forums: Draft Grades... Jets A+ - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

HarlemHxC814 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:50 AM) Teh.
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:59 AM) Peeps in new Orleans still talking about wrestle mania
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:59 AM) The hype was strong
Jetsman05 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 12:27 PM) Unreal.
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 12:33 PM) It was all just a dream
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 05:20 PM) I used to read Word Up magazine
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) http://espn.go.com/n...port?src=mobile
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 April 2014 - 08:32 PM) Its funny how much baseball has used replay in the first 2 weeks
ganggreen2003 Icon : (13 April 2014 - 08:46 PM) BREAKING NEWS: I'M STILL FUCKIN ALIVE JUST BUSY GETTING MY BUSINESS OFF THE GROUND!!!! FOR FURTHER NOTICE KISS MY ASS!!!!
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 09:30 PM) Lol
santana Icon : (13 April 2014 - 09:31 PM) Gg03 doing his own updates
MikeGangGree... Icon : (13 April 2014 - 10:33 PM) ^because the updates here never change
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 02:30 AM) That's right, because I was on the edge of my seat wondering whether or not Garrett McIntyre would be resigned or not.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 02:39 AM) There is not really much to update us about in the dog days of the off-season. Unless we want Santana to be like CNN and give us constant "updates" about the missing Malaysian airplane.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 AM) I should start doing baseball updates
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 AM) Dodger dawgss
Smedsthejet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:52 PM) Cro enjoyed a good birthday with some of that Cardinals signing bonus: http://kissingsuzyko...tle-people.html
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:44 PM) ESPN NY
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:44 PM) 18. New York Jets -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: Surprised? Yes, the Jets need a receiver, but it's the deepest receiver draft in years, and they can find a good one in the second round. This would mark the fifth straight year with a defensive pick in Round 1.
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 03:51 PM) is he better than Gilbert, Dennard, and Fuller?
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 03:56 PM) In my biased opinion I don't think he's better than Dennard.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:05 PM) ewww
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:13 PM) Denard and Gilbert are gone in this mock by 18
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:08 PM) no f***ing way...
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:44 PM) ICYMI We AREN'T the 49ers... THANK GOODNESS!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:45 PM) Carry On NUMBNUTS!!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:23 PM) FAN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:23 PM) DAN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:24 PM) GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:53 PM) EVOLUTION!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:57 PM) OOO Man I got to get tickets to Extreme rules now. since I will be in NY that week
greenandwhit... Icon : (Today, 02:32 AM) I have to get tickets... Evolution is back. I'm 10 years old again
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:04 AM) Chris Johnson visiting jets today
santana Icon : (Today, 10:06 AM) http://i.imgur.com/RWFWUYi.gif
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) izdik offers him a lifetime supply of clip on dreadlocks
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) ‏@KristianRDyer 1h
Hearing from a team source that interest between Jets, Chris Johnson is "mutually high between both parties." #nyjets #jetstwitter
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:16 PM) ICYMI : Today marks the 51 year anniversary that the Titans of NY became the NEW YORK JETS
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 05:21 PM) nice we could use CJ. we still lack offesnife playmakers
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:02 PM) ‏@MMehtaNYDN 7m
Chris Johnson's visit with the Jets today: Productive. Good vibes all around, I'm told. #nyj
Expand
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:34 PM) offesnife!
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 06:34 PM) tehhhh
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 06:54 PM) yay more typing jokes. how original. you should see this thing called the internet
santana Icon : (Today, 08:14 PM) So you ever go on that there Internet? Lotta cool stuff on that Internet
santana Icon : (Today, 08:24 PM)

Quote

Ian Rapoport
Chris Johnson’s visit with #Jets today went well, from what it sounded like. It’s over now. Nothing final yet, other teams still circling
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 PM) I think he's just stating the obvious but whatever it's an update
Resize Shouts Area

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Draft Grades... Jets A+ Eat your heart out 115

#21 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

  • Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: 24-January 10

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 02 May 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

lol kid? i'm old enough to be your daddy probably


Which makes this thread all the more pathetic.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach
0

#22 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Location:New York

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 02 May 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

didn't backtrack. someone asked for anywhere that said the jets got a average garde. i posted links when somebody said fan voting is stupid and not a good example i agreed. its not backtracking at all.

Honestly i can care less what sports writers think. i think its a bad move. were gonna suck this year and were gonna suck for a while idzik will get fired everyone will hate him and it'll start over again. In 4 years, i'll look like a prophet. if i'm wrong 4 years from now and we have a good team and are a contender you can gladly use this against me saying i was wrong and i'll admit to being wrong. but i expect the same from you when idzik fails


Predicting a Head Coach or GM will get fired is hardly prophetic...

Also, no one is saying Idzik is definitely going to lead this team to a championship...all we're saying is it is ridiculously premature to say he is definitely a shitty GM.
Posted Image
0

#23 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,950
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 02 May 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Predicting a Head Coach or GM will get fired is hardly prophetic...

Also, no one is saying Idzik is definitely going to lead this team to a championship...all we're saying is it is ridiculously premature to say he is definitely a shitty GM.


Agreed, not only are the chances of success for HCs and GMs small in the NFL. But the Jets don't exactly have a history of picking successful HCs and GMs.
Posted Image
0

#24 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,537
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 02 May 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Predicting a Head Coach or GM will get fired is hardly prophetic...

Also, no one is saying Idzik is definitely going to lead this team to a championship...all we're saying is it is ridiculously premature to say he is definitely a shitty GM.


well in all fairness he has done a shitty job so far if anyone cares to take off their green colored glasses they wil see that
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#25 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,950
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 03 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

well in all fairness he has done a shitty job so far if anyone cares to take off their green colored glasses they wil see that


Just blind hate... :boredom:
Posted Image
0

#26 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,537
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 03 May 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Just blind hate... :boredom:/>


nope blind hate would have been when he was hired. i listed at least 10 things i feel he screwed up on. thats far from blind hate. its called justified hate
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#27 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,751
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 03 May 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

well in all fairness he has done a shitty job so far if anyone cares to take off their green colored glasses they wil see that

I have grown bored with you. I am moving on. Your dumped.
Posted Image
0

#28 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Location:New York

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 03 May 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

nope blind hate would have been when he was hired. i listed at least 10 things i feel he screwed up on. thats far from blind hate. its called justified hate


Alright...this is my last effort at reason...

Let's look at the moves Idzik has made since his hire:

1. Traded Darrelle Revis.
- For starters, this directive obviously came down from Woody, since Woody said the Jets were looking to trade him before Idzik was even hired. So, we have to judge Idzik only on the trade itself, in which he got the 13th overall pick and a future 3rd for a CB coming off ACL surgery that no other team showed interest in trading for. He managed a very high pick with basically no leverage. I'd say this is a pretty good move all considering.

2. Cut the dead weight.
- He released several old or overpaid starters. This is a key part of rebuilding. Yes, he also let productive players like Mike DeVito go...but it would have cost too much to resign him. This is the kind of move a bad GM makes; overpaying for one-dimensional, average players. Guaranteed the Jets would have regretted signing DeVito in two years!

3. Signed good, cheap replacements.
- The guys like Antwan Barnes, Antonio Garay, and Dawan Landry aren't meant to usher in a new era of dominance for the team. They are guys who have the potential to outproduce their dollar value, which is all the Jets can hope for right now. They can't, nor should they, be signing big free agents to big dollars right now.

4. Signed Calvin Pace back to a cap friendly deal.
- Great move. Gives the Jets flexibility in the draft to get the best player available. I'm sure the Jets hope he doesn't play much, but if he does he won't hurt the team. That's important, while his playmaking days are behind him, the Jets won't have to worry about him making lots of mistakes either.

5. Drafted a CB, pass rushing interior DL, and QB in the first two rounds.
- You can debate the philosophy of trading away the best CB only to draft one in the first round. But, Milliner was the best CB by a lot in this draft, and many think will be a star. Richardson will hopefully fill a role the Jets haven't had since Trevor Pryce. Interior pass rushes might be the rarest breed in the NFL, so if you think you've found a good one...pounce. I am not the biggest fan of the Geno Smith pick, but if the Jets truly think he can be their franchise QB...you can't knock this pick.

6. Drafted solid OL prospects in the middle rounds.
- Unlike Idzik's predecessor, he seems to understand the importance of building depth on the OL in the middle rounds. I really like Winters and Aboushi, and think both will be starters at some point this season. These are great picks you'd have a tough time poking holes in...

7. Cut Tebow
- Duh.

8. Released scouts and FO people.
- He's going to bring in some of his own guys, something every new boss does in every profession. Get over it. And don't say he should have fired them before the draft, they were 9 months into a 12 month process with those guys...you can't replace what they had done for 9 months.

Like I said...I'm not saying Idzik is a great GM. But, you can't possibly know enough about him to go on the ridiculous rants you have 115.

Could the Revis trade turn out to be a disaster? Sure.

Could Geno Smith be cut in 2 years? Sure.

Could Idzik never be able to lure top quality FA's when the Jets think they are closer to a championship? Sure.

Could Idzik get the team in cap trouble by handing out bloated contracts to declining players both internal and external? Sure.

But...none of that has happened yet. So relax.
Posted Image
1

#29 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,950
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 03 May 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Alright...this is my last effort at reason...

Let's look at the moves Idzik has made since his hire:

1. Traded Darrelle Revis.
- For starters, this directive obviously came down from Woody, since Woody said the Jets were looking to trade him before Idzik was even hired. So, we have to judge Idzik only on the trade itself, in which he got the 13th overall pick and a future 3rd for a CB coming off ACL surgery that no other team showed interest in trading for. He managed a very high pick with basically no leverage. I'd say this is a pretty good move all considering.

2. Cut the dead weight.
- He released several old or overpaid starters. This is a key part of rebuilding. Yes, he also let productive players like Mike DeVito go...but it would have cost too much to resign him. This is the kind of move a bad GM makes; overpaying for one-dimensional, average players. Guaranteed the Jets would have regretted signing DeVito in two years!

3. Signed good, cheap replacements.
- The guys like Antwan Barnes, Antonio Garay, and Dawan Landry aren't meant to usher in a new era of dominance for the team. They are guys who have the potential to outproduce their dollar value, which is all the Jets can hope for right now. They can't, nor should they, be signing big free agents to big dollars right now.

4. Signed Calvin Pace back to a cap friendly deal.
- Great move. Gives the Jets flexibility in the draft to get the best player available. I'm sure the Jets hope he doesn't play much, but if he does he won't hurt the team. That's important, while his playmaking days are behind him, the Jets won't have to worry about him making lots of mistakes either.

5. Drafted a CB, pass rushing interior DL, and QB in the first two rounds.
- You can debate the philosophy of trading away the best CB only to draft one in the first round. But, Milliner was the best CB by a lot in this draft, and many think will be a star. Richardson will hopefully fill a role the Jets haven't had since Trevor Pryce. Interior pass rushes might be the rarest breed in the NFL, so if you think you've found a good one...pounce. I am not the biggest fan of the Geno Smith pick, but if the Jets truly think he can be their franchise QB...you can't knock this pick.

6. Drafted solid OL prospects in the middle rounds.
- Unlike Idzik's predecessor, he seems to understand the importance of building depth on the OL in the middle rounds. I really like Winters and Aboushi, and think both will be starters at some point this season. These are great picks you'd have a tough time poking holes in...

7. Cut Tebow
- Duh.

8. Released scouts and FO people.
- He's going to bring in some of his own guys, something every new boss does in every profession. Get over it. And don't say he should have fired them before the draft, they were 9 months into a 12 month process with those guys...you can't replace what they had done for 9 months.

Like I said...I'm not saying Idzik is a great GM. But, you can't possibly know enough about him to go on the ridiculous rants you have 115.

Could the Revis trade turn out to be a disaster? Sure.

Could Geno Smith be cut in 2 years? Sure.

Could Idzik never be able to lure top quality FA's when the Jets think they are closer to a championship? Sure.

Could Idzik get the team in cap trouble by handing out bloated contracts to declining players both internal and external? Sure.

But...none of that has happened yet. So relax.


Quote for emphasis. Great post! :drinks:
Posted Image
0

#30 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,537
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 03 May 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Alright...this is my last effort at reason...

Let's look at the moves Idzik has made since his hire:

1. Traded Darrelle Revis.
- For starters, this directive obviously came down from Woody, since Woody said the Jets were looking to trade him before Idzik was even hired. So, we have to judge Idzik only on the trade itself, in which he got the 13th overall pick and a future 3rd for a CB coming off ACL surgery that no other team showed interest in trading for. He managed a very high pick with basically no leverage. I'd say this is a pretty good move all considering.

2. Cut the dead weight.
- He released several old or overpaid starters. This is a key part of rebuilding. Yes, he also let productive players like Mike DeVito go...but it would have cost too much to resign him. This is the kind of move a bad GM makes; overpaying for one-dimensional, average players. Guaranteed the Jets would have regretted signing DeVito in two years!

3. Signed good, cheap replacements.
- The guys like Antwan Barnes, Antonio Garay, and Dawan Landry aren't meant to usher in a new era of dominance for the team. They are guys who have the potential to outproduce their dollar value, which is all the Jets can hope for right now. They can't, nor should they, be signing big free agents to big dollars right now.

4. Signed Calvin Pace back to a cap friendly deal.
- Great move. Gives the Jets flexibility in the draft to get the best player available. I'm sure the Jets hope he doesn't play much, but if he does he won't hurt the team. That's important, while his playmaking days are behind him, the Jets won't have to worry about him making lots of mistakes either.

5. Drafted a CB, pass rushing interior DL, and QB in the first two rounds.
- You can debate the philosophy of trading away the best CB only to draft one in the first round. But, Milliner was the best CB by a lot in this draft, and many think will be a star. Richardson will hopefully fill a role the Jets haven't had since Trevor Pryce. Interior pass rushes might be the rarest breed in the NFL, so if you think you've found a good one...pounce. I am not the biggest fan of the Geno Smith pick, but if the Jets truly think he can be their franchise QB...you can't knock this pick.

6. Drafted solid OL prospects in the middle rounds.
- Unlike Idzik's predecessor, he seems to understand the importance of building depth on the OL in the middle rounds. I really like Winters and Aboushi, and think both will be starters at some point this season. These are great picks you'd have a tough time poking holes in...

7. Cut Tebow
- Duh.

8. Released scouts and FO people.
- He's going to bring in some of his own guys, something every new boss does in every profession. Get over it. And don't say he should have fired them before the draft, they were 9 months into a 12 month process with those guys...you can't replace what they had done for 9 months.

Like I said...I'm not saying Idzik is a great GM. But, you can't possibly know enough about him to go on the ridiculous rants you have 115.

Could the Revis trade turn out to be a disaster? Sure.

Could Geno Smith be cut in 2 years? Sure.

Could Idzik never be able to lure top quality FA's when the Jets think they are closer to a championship? Sure.

Could Idzik get the team in cap trouble by handing out bloated contracts to declining players both internal and external? Sure.

But...none of that has happened yet. So relax.


1) ok lets give the benefit of the doubt and say that idzik had no choice but to trade revis. it was still handled poorly. and to say he had no choice isn't believable since it looked like we were gonna keep revis if TB didn't give up their 1st this year. but lets say ok its the case. he still handled it poorly. he should have just told revis that he was going to try to trade him and allow him and his agent to seek out a trade partner. agents are scum but they are dam good at finding ways to make money and upselling their clients. even if the agent got an extra team ro 2 interested it would have helped. plus it wouldn't have left revis in the dark either meaning he wouldn't have felt so upset with the team. sometimes its not your actions but they way you go about them. The whole thing was handled poorly and i felt we left something on the table.

2) i'm ok with devito going. he got paid alot for an average player. but guys like keller and slauson who signed cheap 1 year deals and are young starters and good draft picks should have been kept. losing a starting guard and a solid recieving TE is huge. keller has led the team in recieving for like 2 out of the past 4 years? you think it didn't hurt sanchez nothaving keller. you think keller wouldn't help geno as a safety blanket underneath? taht was a poor move. i understand pohua since he is getting old, and devito cause he got paid too much and even landry who was awesome but got alot of money for a safety elsewhere. but keller and slauson were terrible decisions

3) i don't mind those signings but again none of the are going to be anything great. they are stop gaps which are fine but every team does this. its not anything great he did for us.

4) same as 3

5) drafting the QB was good. saying that he wanted an offensive playmaker and a OLB pass rusher and then ignoring it was bad. now coples is moving out of position which doens't work very often.

6) I think the lineman were good picks. but unless 2 are gonna start right away our line isn't looking good this year.

7) no brainer, not really anything impressive on his part

8)we don't know why they were fired or why they were singled out. yes i know that he wants some of hsi guys. its normal, but you fire the guy who scouted the player you picked i the 2nd round? makes no sense. and plus he's been there what 1-2 months how could he know which scouts we had that were teh best and which ones weren't he could have fired our 2 best scouts and kept bad ones. nobody knows teh move was premature IMO
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#31 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Location:New York

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 03 May 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

1) ok lets give the benefit of the doubt and say that idzik had no choice but to trade revis. it was still handled poorly. and to say he had no choice isn't believable since it looked like we were gonna keep revis if TB didn't give up their 1st this year. but lets say ok its the case. he still handled it poorly. he should have just told revis that he was going to try to trade him and allow him and his agent to seek out a trade partner. agents are scum but they are dam good at finding ways to make money and upselling their clients. even if the agent got an extra team ro 2 interested it would have helped. plus it wouldn't have left revis in the dark either meaning he wouldn't have felt so upset with the team. sometimes its not your actions but they way you go about them. The whole thing was handled poorly and i felt we left something on the table.

You don't know what he did or did not say to Revis. I think it's pretty obvious no other teams were interested. It wasn't a secret the Jets were trading Revis, so teams had plenty of time to work a deal out.

2) i'm ok with devito going. he got paid alot for an average player. but guys like keller and slauson who signed cheap 1 year deals and are young starters and good draft picks should have been kept. losing a starting guard and a solid recieving TE is huge. keller has led the team in recieving for like 2 out of the past 4 years? you think it didn't hurt sanchez nothaving keller. you think keller wouldn't help geno as a safety blanket underneath? taht was a poor move. i understand pohua since he is getting old, and devito cause he got paid too much and even landry who was awesome but got alot of money for a safety elsewhere. but keller and slauson were terrible decisions

I personally was never a big fan of Keller. I know that means nothing here, but judging by the fact both of those players got small, one year deals means there wasn't a lot of interest in their services. Again, just like Revis, if the Jets were so stupid for letting these guys go there would have been more teams lining up for them.

3) i don't mind those signings but again none of the are going to be anything great. they are stop gaps which are fine but every team does this. its not anything great he did for us.

Haha, no...you're right. Nothing special...but nothing bad either.

4) same as 3

5) drafting the QB was good. saying that he wanted an offensive playmaker and a OLB pass rusher and then ignoring it was bad. now coples is moving out of position which doens't work very often.

Does a QB not count as an offensive playmaker? I didn't read the OLB part, but given how the draft fell, what was he supposed to do? Don't you think it would have been a hell of a lot worse if he panicked and blew the whole draft by trading up for an Ezekiel Ansah?

6) I think the lineman were good picks. but unless 2 are gonna start right away our line isn't looking good this year.

True, but he signed 2 veterans who at the very least can be average starters, with the hope that the draft picks can take their jobs. Perfect.

7) no brainer, not really anything impressive on his part

8)we don't know why they were fired or why they were singled out. yes i know that he wants some of hsi guys. its normal, but you fire the guy who scouted the player you picked i the 2nd round? makes no sense. and plus he's been there what 1-2 months how could he know which scouts we had that were teh best and which ones weren't he could have fired our 2 best scouts and kept bad ones. nobody knows teh move was premature IMO

Premature? So you think it would have been better to let them start work scouting for next year's draft and wait a few months, only to fire them then, and waste several months worth of work? That's bad business. The scouts work for next year's draft starts right now, so why wait.

Posted Image
0

#32 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,751
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

:drinks:

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Alright...this is my last effort at reason...

Let's look at the moves Idzik has made since his hire:

1. Traded Darrelle Revis.
- For starters, this directive obviously came down from Woody, since Woody said the Jets were looking to trade him before Idzik was even hired. So, we have to judge Idzik only on the trade itself, in which he got the 13th overall pick and a future 3rd for a CB coming off ACL surgery that no other team showed interest in trading for. He managed a very high pick with basically no leverage. I'd say this is a pretty good move all considering.

2. Cut the dead weight.
- He released several old or overpaid starters. This is a key part of rebuilding. Yes, he also let productive players like Mike DeVito go...but it would have cost too much to resign him. This is the kind of move a bad GM makes; overpaying for one-dimensional, average players. Guaranteed the Jets would have regretted signing DeVito in two years!

3. Signed good, cheap replacements.
- The guys like Antwan Barnes, Antonio Garay, and Dawan Landry aren't meant to usher in a new era of dominance for the team. They are guys who have the potential to outproduce their dollar value, which is all the Jets can hope for right now. They can't, nor should they, be signing big free agents to big dollars right now.

4. Signed Calvin Pace back to a cap friendly deal.
- Great move. Gives the Jets flexibility in the draft to get the best player available. I'm sure the Jets hope he doesn't play much, but if he does he won't hurt the team. That's important, while his playmaking days are behind him, the Jets won't have to worry about him making lots of mistakes either.

5. Drafted a CB, pass rushing interior DL, and QB in the first two rounds.
- You can debate the philosophy of trading away the best CB only to draft one in the first round. But, Milliner was the best CB by a lot in this draft, and many think will be a star. Richardson will hopefully fill a role the Jets haven't had since Trevor Pryce. Interior pass rushes might be the rarest breed in the NFL, so if you think you've found a good one...pounce. I am not the biggest fan of the Geno Smith pick, but if the Jets truly think he can be their franchise QB...you can't knock this pick.

6. Drafted solid OL prospects in the middle rounds.
- Unlike Idzik's predecessor, he seems to understand the importance of building depth on the OL in the middle rounds. I really like Winters and Aboushi, and think both will be starters at some point this season. These are great picks you'd have a tough time poking holes in...

7. Cut Tebow
- Duh.

8. Released scouts and FO people.
- He's going to bring in some of his own guys, something every new boss does in every profession. Get over it. And don't say he should have fired them before the draft, they were 9 months into a 12 month process with those guys...you can't replace what they had done for 9 months.

Like I said...I'm not saying Idzik is a great GM. But, you can't possibly know enough about him to go on the ridiculous rants you have 115.

Could the Revis trade turn out to be a disaster? Sure.

Could Geno Smith be cut in 2 years? Sure.

Could Idzik never be able to lure top quality FA's when the Jets think they are closer to a championship? Sure.

Could Idzik get the team in cap trouble by handing out bloated contracts to declining players both internal and external? Sure.

But...none of that has happened yet. So relax.

:drinks:
Posted Image
0

#33 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,537
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

1) revis himself made it clear he had no idea what was happening. even rex seemed clueless.

2) they probably mean more to us then to the teams they left to. keller was our best WR for the past 2 years pretty much.

5) no you need a playmaker to help the young QB. when you say offense playmaker you think more of teh ones that help the QBs. the RBs, WRS, and TEs. i wouldn't consider o-line offense playmaker either

6) i injured guy who is old an dmight not play (colon) and who was the other one? we also still don't have a decent RT

8) maybe in 2 months he would have fired 2 diferent scouts that weren't doing good. again we don't know but there is no way idzik could accuratly judge them in that short amount of time
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#34 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,751
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Do we know for a fact we did not try to offer Keller anything? I do not remember anything about that.
Posted Image
0

#35 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,950
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

115 is reaching on the scout thing, either that or he doesn't understand how things work in the NFL. It was common knowledge that Idzik would have to work with the previous guys in the scouting department, considering he was hired right around the senior bowl so there was too much work already done in that process. It was also common knowledge that after the draft he was going to bring in his own department. Other teams did this as well. It would be stupid to fire a scouting department so close to the draft, you would be at a huge disadvantage to the rest of the league.
Posted Image
0

#36 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Location:New York

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

115 is reaching on everything...I'm officially done with the Idzik debate.

I think I'll start talking about the 2014 draft now, because it makes me happy. :beach:
Posted Image
0

#37 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 16,950
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 May 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Do we know for a fact we did not try to offer Keller anything? I do not remember anything about that.


According to Keller he said the JEts had a offer, but he chose the Dolphins over the Jets.

The Jets had a offer on Slauson as well, but they weren't in a position to overpay mediocre players. Its bad business to overpay mediocre players. Good NFL teams recognize who to pay and who you can replace through the draft. Slauson was replaced by Brian Winters. The Jets also signed 2 veterans on the OL. Willie Colon isn't a bad player when healthy.
Posted Image
0

#38 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,751
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 03 May 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

115 is reaching on the scout thing, either that or he doesn't understand how things work in the NFL. It was common knowledge that Idzik would have to work with the previous guys in the scouting department, considering he was hired right around the senior bowl so there was too much work already done in that process. It was also common knowledge that after the draft he was going to bring in his own department. Other teams did this as well. It would be stupid to fire a scouting department so close to the draft, you would be at a huge disadvantage to the rest of the league.


I believe 115 has become obsessed with Idzik. It does not matter what he does. Its his thing. His bit. His claim to fame. Idzik could have aquired Aaron Rogers with a spoon of peanut butter and 115 would be hating.
Posted Image
0

#39 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6,693
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Location:New York

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 May 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I believe 115 has become obsessed with Idzik. It does not matter what he does. Its his thing. His bit. His claim to fame. Idzik could have aquired Aaron Rogers with a spoon of peanut butter and 115 would be hating.


Peanut butter would have been a steal!! If it were almond butter, though...that shit is expensive!
Posted Image
0

#40 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,751
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 03 May 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

According to Keller he said the JEts had a offer, but he chose the Dolphins over the Jets.

The Jets had a offer on Slauson as well, but they weren't in a position to overpay mediocre players. Its bad business to overpay mediocre players. Good NFL teams recognize who to pay and who you can replace through the draft. Slauson was replaced by Brian Winters. The Jets also signed 2 veterans on the OL. Willie Colon isn't a bad player when healthy.


Some speculation here... Keller left to get away from the Jets (assuming the $ was the same. The only other team to offer him a contract was Miami. If that is accurate I see 2 issues. 1) Keller wanting to leave this mess is on MT not Idzik. 2) if there was only one other team interested maybe we (as fans) had him overrated.
Posted Image
0

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users