NYJetsFan.com Forums: Qb Competition Could Be Over Before Training Camp - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

2014 NYJetsFan Fantasy League sign up: http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38425
azjetfan Icon : (16 August 2014 - 08:44 PM) Who knows though
santana Icon : (16 August 2014 - 11:55 PM) http://gfycat.com/Mi...idHookersealion
santana Icon : (16 August 2014 - 11:55 PM) Gotta fix that
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:35 PM) Is anyone else as concerned as I am about the secondary?
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:36 PM) I know it's preseason and all but even with Milliner in on the first game we gave up a TD on the first drive to the Colts
azjetfan Icon : (17 August 2014 - 01:37 PM) Patterson looked like me out there and Wilson got torched last night
Smedsthejet Icon : (17 August 2014 - 02:26 PM) Concerned about the right side of the OLine too - too many penalties and Giacomini wasn't that much better than against the Colts when he was poor
SackExchange71 Icon : (17 August 2014 - 02:31 PM) Imo i still think howard is better then giacomini..Wish they never let him walk.Giacomini had alot of flags in seattle also
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:33 AM) Howard recieved a huge contract in Oakland. Way over his actual value.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 10:08 AM) So did we make a trade for a CB yet?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:51 PM) Milliner did suffer a high ankle sprain, that sucks. could linger all year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 August 2014 - 03:52 PM) I think Patterson sucked vs the Colts because he was injured, which he always is.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:49 PM) As much as people criticized Tannanbaum for spending too much. It's starting to look like Idzik is going to be too cheap.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) You get what you pay for and when you let quality players go because you don't want to pay them, this is what happens. You're left with scrub players.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 07:55 PM) I'm still on board with the Idzik plan. Even with Revis and Revis we still are not going to the SB this year. But the down time sucks. If Milliner comes back healthy by week 3 or so we should be fine.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 08:18 PM) Regardless of our SB chances this year or next year. If Idzik keeps acting like a cheapskate and continues to let quality players go, we won't have to worry about winning much of anything this decade.
azjetfan Icon : (18 August 2014 - 09:36 PM) He wants to build through the draft. Not blow the bank on FA. I get what your saying but there is a balance and right now we are not one or two pieces away.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:00 PM) It's not about being one or two pieces away. It's about keeping the good pieces you have and building upon that.
Mr_Jet Icon : (18 August 2014 - 11:04 PM) But there is no sense in trying to build through the draft if he's only going to end up letting the good players he picks up go in FA after a few years. All because he wants to do things on the cheap.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:02 AM) FIRE IDZIK
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:33 AM) out side of Revis who left we should have kept?
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 AM) The Revis deal sucks but $16 million was too much for a CB and once he was gone he was not coming back.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:00 AM) Matt Slauson
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 01:00 PM) Eh. I think with our current cap situation we will be able to retain guys like Wilkerson and whomever we want to keep. We are in a good position right now.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 01:49 PM) Time will tell.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:00 PM) landed revis abck. got DRC, nope we take patterson who got owned and always hurt. milner always hurt. 3rd round CB done for season. were gonna get passed on all day
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 02:44 PM) Yea the DRC bit makes me iffy
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:35 PM) better then patterson
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:45 PM) No I mean the fact that he whiffed on him.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:46 PM) I'm not saying Idzik is perfect. I just like the direction we are heading. It's going to take some patience.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:27 PM) I like how our lack of secondary is the hot topic right now. The bigger issue is we still will not be able to throw the ball. We are not going to do much of anything regardless until we get a QB. Sorry for being so negative just my honest opinion.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) With that said I think our running game with CJ and Powell will be top 10 or somewhere around there
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:35 PM) i have faith that if geno messes up that vick can come in and do well. but i have 0 faith in our secondary right now which has been our strong point for the past 4 years or so
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:35 PM) I agree 115. but the one thing is Rex has done some good things in the past with shitty DBs and still had a solid D going back to his years in BAL
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:37 PM) Corey Ivy CB
36 Jim Leonhard SS/PR
43 Haruki Nakamura FS
25 Evan Oglesby CB
20 Ed Reed FS
22 Samari Rolle CB
39 Daren Stone FS
41 Frank Walker CB
31 Fabian Washington in 2008
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:39 PM) Reed is a HOF but Rolle was way past his prime
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) SNOOPY BOWL FRIDAY!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:26 PM) I assume we will pick up a guy after the cuts happen.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:14 PM) we'll see but I think we see better QB play than we have in a while.
518-JeTS-FaN Icon : (Today, 08:54 AM) disgusted with my local programming, instead of jets and giants they are airing the raiders vs packers..wtf
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 09:23 AM) Glad I don't live up there anymore haha
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:59 PM) The JETS are #6 in the Forbes List for most franchise value
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:59 PM) The Buffalo Jills are #31 and the Miami Dolphags are #16 respectively
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:00 PM) The JETS are worth $1.8 billion
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Qb Competition Could Be Over Before Training Camp

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Jets' ballyhooed quarterback competition may be over before Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith even make it to Cortland, N.Y., for the start of training camp in late July.
While the prevailing thought is that the incumbent and the rookie will square off in a summer-long battle to determine the starter, the Jets braintrust isn't averse to declaring a winner in the coming weeks.
"We don't care what the prevailing thought is," new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told the Daily News about the perception that the quarterback battle will certainly be alive at the start of training camp. "We only care about our competition here."
Mornhinweg is looking for one of his signal callers to separate himself from the pack. "Common sense tells you that you hope it's quick, but this is going to be a full blown competition. Period."
Although there are four quarterbacks on the roster (Sanchez, Smith, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms), Sanchez or Smith will almost certainly win the job.
Mornhinweg wants one of the quarterbacks to distance himself during a critical, but often overlooked stretch of the offseason program that began on Monday. But could someone actually separate himself that much for the Jets brass to declare a winner by mid-June based on 10 OTA practices and three minicamp practices?
"Oh, absolutely," Mornhinweg said. "Sure. Absolutely. That's all part of the process. Absolutely. Everything we do is important. Our meetings are important… the way we go about our meetings, the way we go about our preparation right now with a new system. These are very important things. Every pass we throw out there in OTAs and these practices are important."

Sanchez's experience appears to give him an inherent advantage to seize control of the competition early. Smith, who spent much of his college career in shotgun, has spent a fair amount of time thus far sharpening his skills taking the ball under center with quarterbacks coach David Lee.
"David Lee is working overtime on many things," Mornhinweg said. "But certainly his footwork."
Mornhinweg made it clear that he's not overly concerned with timelines created by people outside the organization. He surely wouldn't call off the "full-blown competition" before training camp begins, right?
"I don't know that… " Mornhinweg said. "We'll see. Really. This thing is going to play itself out. It's going to be our competition… I want to give everybody an opportunity to show their skill and ability and their decision-making and their accuracy and their timing within this system."
Mornhinweg is mindful that the longer the competition lasts, the less time the eventual winner will have to work solely with the first-team offense.
"When you do it this way," Mornhinweg said, "you give up some reps individually for the possible starter if you don't select him quite as quickly."
However, the offensive play-caller isn't going to force the issue to get to a resolution.

"Once a man separates himself, then we'll think about making those choices (of officially naming the starter), but I want a man to separate himself," Mornhinweg said. "If not, we'll keep the competition grinding. That's important. That's important in this situation."
Mornhinweg admitted that naming a starter will be a collaborative decision.
"In any decision we make (regarding) playing time, what role a certain man's going to have, who's the starting quarterback," Mornhinweg said, "It will be discussed thoroughly virtually every day until we make a decision. I suspect that decision will come when we're all in it together. There's no question about that."
To that end, Mornhinweg has formulated a detailed — but flexible — plan through minicamp (June 11-13) to divvy up practice reps for each quarterback that was updated after David Garrard's abrupt decision to retire last week.
"I spent hours on this thing up to date on exactly how we're going to go about each practice," Mornhinweg said. "The staff has spent hours specifically with the first group, the second group, the third group… as well as the quarterback spots."
"It will change and adjust by recent past history," he added. "If there's a man that's had just two consecutive excellent (series), I'm going to give him an opportunity to go with the 1s … and let's see. So, those will be sort of fluid. But (I) certainly have an outline…. Now it may change and it may change very subtly or it may change drastically depending on how the fellas do."
The biggest question, of course, is what the team's decision makers do if Sanchez and Smith play at comparable levels in the coming weeks/months and possibly preseason games?
"I don't get into the stats as much as the production on film," Mornhinweg said. "Some of that depends on what group they have with them and who they're going against. All those things come into play."
"I'm excited about the quarterback situation."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...7#ixzz2TwfkBJ1w
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Well I am glad he is excited about the QBs because he is in the minority.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 21 May 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Well I am glad he is excited about the QBs because he is in the minority.

he doesn't have much of a choice. his job is to make one of them be somewhat successful. Talking about not having the right tools to do a good job. anywya i really hope geno pans out to be good. I feel for sanchez. he could have been good if he didn't have to deal with schotty, sprano, and all the changes in systems
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 21 May 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

he doesn't have much of a choice. his job is to make one of them be somewhat successful. Talking about not having the right tools to do a good job. anywya i really hope geno pans out to be good. I feel for sanchez. he could have been good if he didn't have to deal with schotty, sprano, and all the changes in systems

I am more concerned with the lack of talent around the QB. No TE, a WR core that is eh and a new scheme all make for a tough go for a rookie. I don't believe there is a real battle here. Geno will start unless he drops the ball.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 21 May 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

I am more concerned with the lack of talent around the QB. No TE, a WR core that is eh and a new scheme all make for a tough go for a rookie. I don't believe there is a real battle here. Geno will start unless he drops the ball.

letter keller and slauson walk to 1 year deals didn't help the situation either
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 21 May 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

letter keller and slauson walk to 1 year deals didn't help the situation either

Letting SLauson walk hurts our WRS and TEs?
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Letting SLauson walk hurts our WRS and TEs?

no keller does, slauson hurts the o-line which directly effects the WRs ability to get open (more time to throw = more chance to get open) which in turn directly effects the QB as well.
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 21 May 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

no keller does, slauson hurts the o-line which directly effects the WRs ability to get open (more time to throw = more chance to get open) which in turn directly effects the QB as well.

For the umpteenth time, they got low cost, one year deals for a reason...
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

THE KNICKS
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

We drafted an upgrade for Slauson and we still don't know why Keller left. Has to be more than money IMO
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 21 May 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

For the umpteenth time, they got low cost, one year deals for a reason...

what reason is that? nobody is getting big money this offseason unlike others. cap is too low. so demand is low. we could have given the same low cost 1 year deals
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 21 May 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

We drafted an upgrade for Slauson and we still don't know why Keller left. Has to be more than money IMO

you can't say we drafted an upgrade. what if he is the next ducasse or even worse if he is so bad that ducasse starts for us instead?
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Slauson is easily replaceable. Mediocre at best player. Not athletic, which makes him a bad fit for Marty's offense since he likes athletic linemen that can pull.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Come on now, it's not like Keller was the next Tony Gonzales. His production can be replaced.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#15 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 21 May 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

THE KNICKS

:29:
Posted Image Posted Image

#16 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 21 May 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

you can't say we drafted an upgrade. what if he is the next ducasse or even worse if he is so bad that ducasse starts for us instead?

Ducasse was replacing Slauson on 1/2 the snaps last year anyway. Slauson was nothing special. He was playing between two pro bowlers. There is no such thing as a sure bet.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 21 May 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Come on now, it's not like Keller was the next Tony Gonzales. His production can be replaced.

never said he was but he did lead the team in receiving 2 out of the last 3 years
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 21 May 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Ducasse was replacing Slauson on 1/2 the snaps last year anyway. Slauson was nothing special. He was playing between two pro bowlers. There is no such thing as a sure bet.

too bad your wrong

OFFENSIVE LINE
D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- 264 snaps/100 percent
Austin Howard -- 264 snaps/100 percent
Nick Mangold -- 264 snaps/100 percent
Brandon Moore -- 253 snaps/96 percent
Matt Slauson -- 220 snaps/83 percent
Vladimir Ducasse -- 55 snaps/21 percent

slauson played 83% of snaps so he only say on 17% which is less then a quarter, not even close to half.

Right now, Colon and Ducasse are the starters. How's that grab you? Ducasse, a former second-round pick, was given an opportunity to start in each of his first three seasons -- and he failed every time. What makes them believe this year will be different?

couldn't agree with that more

http://espn.go.com/b...ladimir-ducasse
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 22 May 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

never said he was but he did lead the team in receiving 2 out of the last 3 years

That's not really all that impressive considering how offensively inept this team has been the last two seasons and the revolving door of WRs this team has had.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#20 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 22 May 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

That's not really all that impressive considering how offensively inept this team has been the last two seasons and the revolving door of WRs this team has had.

be that as it may, how even more inept will said offense be w/o its top receiver?
Get it done MT
Posted Image

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users