NYJetsFan.com Forums: Obamacare Putting Millions Of Part-Time Workers At Risk Of Seeing Cut Hours: - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) Ronaldo rarely performed vs us at United
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:23 AM) SILVA!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) Wait I mean
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) FIRE IDZICK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) What channel can I watch el clasico
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:06 AM) TEH CLASICO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:39 AM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Today, 01:05 PM) Messi to Suarez to Neymar and goal
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) My nipples were so stiff
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) Isco the Spanish Shepard so tenacious gotta order that kit!
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obamacare Putting Millions Of Part-Time Workers At Risk Of Seeing Cut Hours: Since we are posting random politics

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Millions of part-time U.S. workers may see their hours cut because of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul, according to a recent study.

The 2010 Affordable Care Act will put some 2.3 million workers at the greatest risk of reduced hours, the February study found. That group represents roughly 1.8 percent of the workforce and consists of people who do not have insurance through their employer, work between 30 and 36 hours per week and earn incomes 400 percent below the federal poverty line for firms with 100 or more employees.

The study, conducted by the UC Berkeley Center for Labor Research and Education and recently highlighted by the Los Angeles Times, attempts to place a number on what has until now been an anecdotally-based trend of employers threatening such cuts as a result of the law.

Beginning in 2014, larger employers may face penalties if they don't offer health benefits deemed affordable under the law. To avoid such costs, some employers have cut the hours worked by some of its employees.

Ken Jacobs, chair of the labor center at UC Berkeley, told the Huffington Post that employers are not likely to force all full-time employees into part-time work due to factors that include additional administrative costs and productivity decreases. Instead, those at highest risk are workers in predominately low-wage industries that are right on the cusp of what is considered full-time work under the law.

The industries with the highest concentration of Jacobs’ at-risk workers are restaurants, accommodation and building services. The 3.6 million workers who report that their “work hours vary” could have their hours jeopardized as well, according to the study.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

Nope.

Obamacare Not Actually Causing Companies To Cut Worker Hours: Survey

Posted: 03/21/2013 11:57 am EDT | Updated: 03/21/2013 12:34 pm EDT

All those companies threatening to cut workers’ hours as a result of Obamacare are actually an exception to the rule, according to a recent survey from the Minneapolis Federal Reserve.

Nearly 90 percent of employers don’t plan to shift full-time workers to part-time status as a result of President Obama’s health care reform law, the study found. Obamacare requires that employers provide health care coverage for employees working full-time or face a penalty.

In the wake of the law, some health care experts worried that companies would shift some of their employees to part-time status -- or 30 hours per week or less -- in order to avoid covering them. Though the survey notes that businesses may change their mind once they realize the full effects of Obamacare, it seems companies cutting (or threatening to cut) workers’ hours are more outliers than the norm.

Still, some well-known employers claimed the law could affect their staffing. Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter said in November that "it’s common sense” for business owners to cut workers’ hours to avoid the health care requirement. Darden Restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster, tested a plan last year to hire more part-time workers in an aim to limit health care costs. The company ultimately abandoned the test, which was met with negative backlash.

But some companies went even further. The owner of several Wendy’s franchises said in January that he planned to cut hundreds of workers' schedules to 28 hours per week in an aim to sidestep the health care coverage requirement. An employee of an Oklahoma Taco Bell said in January that the franchise cut her hours because of Obamacare.

Dunkin’ Donuts is reportedly looking for another way to get around the requirement: Simply by changing it. The company is lobbying to change the definition of full-time to employees working 40 hours per week or more, the Financial Times reported last month.

Also the Papa John's (horrible pizza BTW) CEO, John Schnatter supported and helped raise money for the Romney campaign last year. So I doubt he is a big fan of President Obama and anything he does to begin with. And when it comes to places like Taco Bell, Wendy's, and every other restaurant in America, everybody should asks themselves this question. Do you really want the people handling your food NOT to have health care coverage? 90% of food service workers don't get paid sick leave, so if they need the money they'll go to work sneezing and coughing.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#3 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

In the industry I am in we are no longer hiring non excempt at full time to save money due to upcoming changes. I also can say companies like Wells Fargo, US Bank and even RCU the local large credit union is following suit. This is happening here and I would assume it is elsewhere as well.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 23 May 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

In the industry I am in we are no longer hiring non excempt at full time to save money due to upcoming changes. I also can say companies like Wells Fargo, US Bank and even RCU the local large credit union is following suit. This is happening here and I would assume it is elsewhere as well.

I guess it's a good thing the ACA expands medicaid coverage then too. Like I said the day the ACA became law, it's just one step closer to a single payer system like most of the industrialized world already has.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 23 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I guess it's a good thing the ACA expands medicaid coverage then too. Like I said the day the ACA became law, it's just one step closer to a single payer system like most of the industrialized world already has.

I am by no means against everyone having health coverage. I am against putting the expense on business. I believe what will happen is what I am seeing now but in a bigger scale. Cut out the middle man and put it in income tax like we do everything else (SS, Unemployment state and fed). When you put the burden on a business they not only will recoup the money through cuts but also by margins in which they sell there product and services. So now we will see the underemployment # rise causing less taxable income causing an even higher tax rate. Just my opinion.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 23 May 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I am by no means against everyone having health coverage. I am against putting the expense on business. I believe what will happen is what I am seeing now but in a bigger scale. Cut out the middle man and put it in income tax like we do everything else (SS, Unemployment state and fed). When you put the burden on a business they not only will recoup the money through cuts but also by margins in which they sell there product and services. So now we will see the underemployment # rise causing less taxable income causing an even higher tax rate. Just my opinion.

I agree. Having people get their health insurance through their employer is old and outdated anyway. That's why we need a single payer system. But the health insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies have deep pockets and way too much influence over legislators. But we already have the gov't check our food to make sure it's safe to eat, to make sure our air and water is clean to breath and drink. We can let them provide us with health care coverage too. I don't see people complaining about our rancid food supply or our contaminated water. I doubt if we had a single payer system (like Canada and the UK does), everybody would be begging to go back to the mostly private system we have now. It's way past time to progress on this health care issue.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users