NYJetsFan.com Forums: Senator Takes The Food Stamp Challenge - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIELD GOAL
Canuck Jet Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) Harvin is Holmes 2.0, except punches for general bitchiness and annoying first down celebrations.
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) i'm not buying into the media nonsense
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:06 PM) Harvin is a playmaker, we needed one.
Canuck Jet Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:15 PM) I hope he tears it up as a Jet, but he's been tossed from 2 teams in as many years and hasn't cracked 1000 yds in his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he had CTE from those brutal head hits, hence the aggression of late.
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:18 PM) I was tossed from two t-ball teams and some people still say i was the best hitter on timid deer lane
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:20 PM) bills RBs dropping like flies
Canuck Jet Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:20 PM) We'll only really know when the autopsy his brain. Stay tuned! Guy never should have played the Super Bowl after the 2 concussions he suffered against the Saints.
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 01:26 PM) whitehurst clipboard jesus
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 02:54 PM) brian shottenheimer must of lost his mind haha
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) fuckin orton
V DidDy 210 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 03:11 PM) how does he keep doing it?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 04:53 PM) Jack Daniels
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 06:25 PM) murray horse
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:28 PM) GOD DAMN IT ANQUAN
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) what is this amateur hour!?!?!?
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:29 PM) come on!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:43 PM) Manning just broke the Passing TD record
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) :boredom: we could of had him a few years ago
ganggreen2003 Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:44 PM) but at least he didn't break it on us
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:45 PM) I don't think he wanted to be here
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I don't really care for passing records being broken. Qbs now have a lot of rules in their favor
santana Icon : (19 October 2014 - 08:46 PM) I mean even the catch that got them into the redzone was a PI call that wouldnt of been called when favre played
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:16 AM) is that a suggestion that Favre was a better QB than Peyton?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 AM) No it's a suggestion that passing records today are a bit skewed by the modern rules
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 AM) everyone knows Favre is the bestest ever that's not even an argument duhhhhh
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:18 PM) Cool jets throw blanket - http://www.woot.com/...ref=cnt_wp_2_22
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:21 PM) jets slippers yo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:37 PM) jets slippers the OG of cool
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:10 PM) so Harvin will be wearing #16
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) 10 and 6
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) WOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:22 PM) 9 wins a row for the Jets!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 10:28 PM) streets is real
santana Icon : (Today, 12:36 PM) hey 05.. yo 05... 05!!!!
santana Icon : (Today, 12:36 PM) UEFA TIME
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:35 PM) Jets to sign Kerley to a 4 year extension
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) he's a good slot WR, i'm assuming we got him cheap, can't complain
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:43 PM) we need to lock up wilk. but if harvin pans out, were set at WR for the next 4 years as decker, kerly, and harvin are all under contract.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 01:44 PM) Ivory is good too, we need a speed back (CJ sin't cuting it) and some o-line and mainly a QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:46 PM) Our offensive weapons aren't bad, need a qb and ol
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 02:09 PM) they were bad when decker was hurt and it was nelson and kerly starting and salas in the slot
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) That damn street thug Kerley
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Senator Takes The Food Stamp Challenge Since we are posting random politics

#1 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Noodles Again For Senator On Food-Stamp Diet

by Staff | May 22, 2013 8:53 am

Chris Murphy voted Tuesday to try to keep the average food stamp recipient receiving $4.80 a dayóthen, stomach growling, went home for a second straight supper of chicken-flavored Ramen noodles.

Murphy, a freshman Democratic U.S. senator from Connecticut, was on the losing side of that food-stamp vote. The Senate voted down an amendment to stop a planned cut in food-stamp benefits (which some 427,000 people in Connecticut, and one in seven Americans in general, receive).

The vote occurred on the second day of a five-day experiment Murphy is undertakingóseeing what it takes to eat on that $4.80 a day, in order to gain insight into what votes like Tuesdayís mean for real human beings. Heís been checking in with the Independent to tell us how each day goes. (Click here for the report on Monday.) Following is an edited and condensed version of his responses to questions about lessons from Tuesdayís experience, which had as much to do with what he didnít eat as what he did:

I brought a banana in to work and held off eating it (or anything else) for as long as possible, so I could push off the hunger pains before lunch. I had the banana (pictured) around 10 oíclock.

Last night I did make chicken and rice [for advance lunch preparation]. I cooked the chicken legs and threw those in a bowl with some plain white rice. I had that for lunch today. It was good, but I didnít have much; I need the chicken and rice to last me for three meals. I probably had somewhere between 12 and 16 ounces of chicken and rice. I couldnít really flavor it with anything; I couldnít afford to buy flavoring or spices on the food stamp budget. It was just plain chicken and rice. It was good, but it didnít have a lot of taste to it. My chicken and rice lunch was probably in the neighborhood of two and a half dollars. Put that together with the banana, and Iím left with only a dollar or a little more for dinner. ...

I went to our caucus lunch today. Every Tuesday the Democratic senators get together for a weekly lunch. Itís in the Mansfield Room, one of the nice historic rooms in the Senate.

Itís a pretty good spread. Itís not gourmet; itís a lot of food. And itís buffet. You can eat to your heartís content. I didnít look at it today, because I knew I wasnít eating. Normally they have a chicken dish and a fish dish and small salad bar available and some dessert like chocolate cake or apple pie. Thereís plenty of food.

I had had my rice before I came to the lunch. I have yet to see any senator walk into this lunch with their own food, so I chose not to be the trendsetter.

I sat at a table with six or seven other senators as they chowed down a pretty good lunch. [Sen.] Martin Heinrich from New Mexico asked me: ďWhat, are you on a diet?Ē I explained to him what I was doing. He went back to eating his lunch. ...

Another part of the day I was at a meeting across the street at the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee. They had some sandwiches that were sitting around from a prior meeting that day. Somebody heard I was on the food stamp challenge and offered me a sandwich thinking that was within the rules. I told them it would be a violation of the spirit if not the letter of the food stamp challenge.

Murphy.
I obviously passed. But it made me realize in my lifestyle, Iím pretty constantly surrounded by food. I generally pay for all my meals. But Iím at events all the time where thereís food; I just take that for granted. I recognize how I sort of take for granted the availability of food in my life; Iím never hungry. If Iím not eating something I bought, thereís normally food accessible at different events I go to during the day. People on food stamps are not in that situation. If they donít buy their food, their only other option is to go to a food pantry. Iím appreciating the abundance of food in my life and how Iíve kind of taken that for granted. If you really only eat the food that you buy, itís pretty easy to be hungry for good portions of the day.

Iíve been hungry for a good part of the day. ...

The Senate has become a millionaireís club over the years. So the worry is that when so many senators are worth a million dollars or more, they can get disconnected from what itís really like for the majority of people out there. Look, Iím not going to be able to put myself in the shoes of a food stamp recipient simply by living on their budget for a week. I still know I get to eat a big full dinner on Saturday afternoon. Iím not worried about my familyís ability to pay the rent or keep a roof over my kidsí head. If I really wanted to do the food stamp challenge, I would put my kids on that as well. To live with the agony of watching your kids go hungry too must be absolutely awful.

Iím two meals down, but I have very little money left for dinner unfortunately. I think I may have budgeted wrong today. I think I am likely stuck with Ramen for a second night in a row for dinner. I only bought chicken [flavored noodles]; I couldnít afford too much variety.

óAs told to Paul Bass

New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#2 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

On $4.80 a day I would be hungry too. Hungry enough to get a job.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 23 May 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

On $4.80 a day I would be hungry too. Hungry enough to get a job.

Is that like Newt Gingrich's idea last year to have poor kids become school janitors? Most of the people who benefit from food stamps are young children. I'd rather they worry about their next spelling test and not worry about getting a job.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 23 May 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Is that like Newt Gingrich's idea last year to have poor kids become school janitors? Most of the people who benefit from food stamps are young children. I'd rather they worry about their next spelling test and not worry about getting a job.

This seems like the problem runs alot deeper than foodstamps.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Am I alone in the belief that Parenting quality has gone down over the past 30 years? I know I dont have 30 years of experience in parenting but when I look at the parenting styles I am pretty amazed.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 23 May 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Am I alone in the belief that Parenting quality has gone down over the past 30 years? I know I dont have 30 years of experience in parenting but when I look at the parenting styles I am pretty amazed.

I think some Americans are have an idealized view of family life 30 or 40 years ago as if everybody lived like Leave it to Beaver. From the stories I've heard that wasn't true back then either. BUT I think some parents today really shouldn't be parents for many reasons. That's why I support sex education in schools, easy access to contraception, and a woman's right to have an abortion if she chooses. I'd rather pay for a girl's birth control pills now (with tax dollars), if that means it will prevent her from giving birth to a child in an impoverished environment later. Because then that's when things like WIC, SNAP, and other gov't programs come into play.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#7 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I think some Americans are have an idealized view of family life 30 or 40 years ago as if everybody lived like Leave it to Beaver. From the stories I've heard that wasn't true back then either. BUT I think some parents today really shouldn't be parents for many reasons. That's why I support sex education in schools, easy access to contraception, and a woman's right to have an abortion if she chooses. I'd rather pay for a girl's birth control pills now (with tax dollars), if that means it will prevent her from giving birth to a child in an impoverished environment later. Because then that's when things like WIC, SNAP, and other gov't programs come into play.

I think we seem to have an agreement. Lets run for office. Independents of course.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 23 May 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

I think we seem to have an agreement. Lets run for office. Independents of course.

That would be nice, but we'd have to kiss too many asses to raise the money we'd need to fund the campaign. That would get demoralizing after a while.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 23 May 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

That would be nice, but we'd have to kiss too many asses to raise the money we'd need to fund the campaign. That would get demoralizing after a while.

It may be refreshing for the public to hear some real talk instead of typical politics. We would probably piss off the prolife and religious groups which may lose us to many votes but it would be fun.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Didn't Cory Booker do something like this a little while back?

#11 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostChaos, on 24 May 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

Didn't Cory Booker do something like this a little while back?

Yep.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users