NYJetsFan.com Forums: Members Of Congress Urge Redskins To Change Name - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) boca represent
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) http://gfycat.com/Of...ingAmazonparrot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) that is the most raul goal i have ever seen
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) What's our wish list for HC next year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) BILL LAZOR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) Jets starting Geno again.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) FIRE IDZIK,
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:45 AM) I really hope the JEts completely clean house this offseason and get rid of everyone, it's time.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:54 AM) We need to keep getting embarrassed every week to ensure that. That is why I don't give a shit about getting destroyed, it makes the team look like more of a joke and forces Woody to make real changes
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) Like how do you get blown out by a team that didn't practice while you had 2 weeks to prepare?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) That kind of stuff may force Woody to make the big changes and fire everyone
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:55 AM) John Idzik has handled the QB situation terribly. 2 times he pretty much handed the job to his draft pick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:56 AM) Besides Sheldon Richardson, his drafts have been awful.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:57 AM) Maybe Woody will clean house and go all out for Jim Harbaugh, that probably won't happen though but it would be a franchise changer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:07 AM) Harbaugh would be amazing...but because it makes sense it won't be done
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (Today, 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (Today, 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (Today, 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (Today, 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (Today, 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (Today, 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (Today, 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (Today, 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
Resize Shouts Area

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Members Of Congress Urge Redskins To Change Name

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Members of Congress urge Redskins to change name
May
5/28/2013 3:47:39 PM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore

Ten members of Congress recently sent Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder a letter, urging him to change the name of the team, according to a news release issued Tuesday by the office of Eni F.H. Faleomavaega, congressman for the American Samoa, Mike Jones of the Washington Post reports.

Joining Faleomavaega in the effort were fellow representatives and co-chairs of the Congressional Native American Caucus: Tom Cole (Oklahoma) and Betty McCollum (Minnesota) as well as Raul M. Grijalva (Arizona), Gwen Moore (Wisconsin), Michael M. Honda (California), Donna M. Christensen (Virginia Islands), Zoe Lofgren and Barbara Lee (both of California) and Eleanor Holmes Norton of the District.

The representatives sent similar letters to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and FedEx President and CEO Frederick Smith, and the owners of the NFL’s 31 other franchises.
In the letter, the representatives argued “Native Americans throughout the country consider the ‘R-word’ a racial, derogatory slur akin to the ‘N-word’ among African Americans or the ‘W-word’ among Latinos.

“Such offensive epithets would no doubt draw wide-spread disapproval among the NFL’s fan base. Yet the national coverage of Washington’s NFL football team profits from a term that is equally disparaging to Native Americans.”

Later in the letter, the members of Congress said, “In this day and age, it is imperative that you uphold your moral responsibility to disavow the usage of racial slurs. The usage of the [“R-word”] is especially harmful to Native American youth, tending to lower their sense of dignity and self-esteem. It also diminishes feelings of community worth among the Native American tribes and dampens the aspirations of their people.”

A Redskins spokesman said the team has no comment on the letter.

F U congress
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

While I think the Redskins name is cool and they have a long history from what Ive read the name Redskins is highly offensive towards the Indian nation. There are other teams that use Indian type names but few of them are considered offensive. Before I knew it was considered offensive I was against the idea of them changing the name.

So if the name is indeed offensive then it should be changed to something non offensive. Indians were here before any of the rest of us and they should have the right to be upset if the name is truly offensive.

Heck the Bullets were changed to the Wizards simply because of all the murders in D.C. everyday and I along with a lot of people thought it was stupid to change the name simply because of that even though I understand why.That said the Bullets was a cool name and the name alone sold and brought in revenue that the Wizards name doesn't. The Wizards is a crappy name imo and I'm sure most would agree.

The Indian nation doesn't have the backing a lot of other minorities do which is why the name hasn't been changed yet. If the name was offensive to Muslims,African American,Spanish, or any other minority with a huge backing it would have been changed long a go.

I dont agree with the Indian nation profiting off names used like Braves, Indians,etc. but if the name is offensive toward a people then it should be changed. We are a country of many different ethnic origins, and religions.

#3 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

What is the W word among Latinos?
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Nice to see that congress has nothing better to worry about
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

If the NBA can change the Bullets to the Wizards, the NFL can get rid of the Redskins team name. There is no good reason in 2013 to call a team the Redskins (there wasn't a good reason in the 1930s either). Just stop and think about that name for a moment. The Redskins? We all know if they where called the Washington Blackskins or Whiteskins, their name would have been changed decades ago.

Not in a million years would a major corporation like the NFL let one of their franchises have a mascot like these.
Posted ImagePosted Image
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#6 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostMikeGangGreenFan2, on 28 May 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Nice to see that congress has nothing better to worry about

Yes because as we all know drafting a letter and sending it out takes up a lot of time. A member of one person's staff probably wrote it and the others just added their names to it.

Congress is in recess this week.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#7 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 28 May 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

If the NBA can change the Bullets to the Wizards, the NFL can get rid of the Redskins team name. There is no good reason in 2013 to call a team the Redskins (there wasn't a good reason in the 1930s either). Just stop and think about that name for a moment. The Redskins? We all know if they where called the Washington Blackskins or Whiteskins, their name would have been changed decades ago.

Not in a million years would a major corporation like the NFL let one of their franchises have a mascot like these.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I am in for the white skins. How about Crackers? Gringos? Honkey?
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   TheFuture Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Glad I'm not the only one to wonder what it is
"If you take a swipe at one of ours, we'll take a swipe at two of yours" -Rex Ryan

#9 User is offline   arizonaJETSfan Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostTheFuture, on 28 May 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

I COULD be wrong, but the ONLY thing I can think of is Wet Back. IF that is the word/phrase that is offensive...the NFL are MORONS! That is a racial slur toward Mexicans because of the crossing the rio grand. So I GUESS all of us are now Mexican? I think it would have been more appropriate to say SPICK! course spick comes from when ALL hispanics of various Latin countries came to the US & naturally the 1st line they learned in English was I don't speak English, which with a spanish accent would be "I no spick english" but hey....what do I know ....
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

View PostTheFuture, on 28 May 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

When SOME Latinos immigrate into the U.S. illegally they cross through the Rio Grande. That water makes certain parts of their bodies wet. Like their backs for example.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#11 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 28 May 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

I am in for the white skins. How about Crackers? Gringos? Honkey?

No they already have a name. They're called the Owners.

A billionaire old white man, making money off of the work of millionaire young black men, who wear uniforms and sell merchandise made by Asian slave labor, that demean savages redskins Indians Native-Americans the indigenous people of America.

I'm so glad our mascot is a man person made machine.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#12 User is online   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

Redskins were the last nfl team to integrate and accept a black player
Snyder is a charlatan and licensed everything. He will never sway with this he's spent too much putting his brand on everything.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#13 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 28 May 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

F U congress

Really? I mean, really!?

Even if you don't think the name is offensive and doesn't need to be changed...you're really going to be mad at "congress" for this?

Really!?...
Posted Image

#14 User is online   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 29 May 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Really? I mean, really!?

Even if you don't think the name is offensive and doesn't need to be changed...you're really going to be mad at "congress" for this?

Really!?...

A lot of people are annoyed that congress is bothering with the nfl at all when they should be focused on the budget or something
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#15 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Elected officials have no say in how a private corporation runs its business as long as it's doing so within the law. If the term was offensive to the point that it was detrimental to the team, the ownership wouldn't need anyone to tell them to change the name, they'd do so without any input from congress. The fact that the Redskins are the 2nd most valuable NFL franchise and the 3rd most valuable North American sports franchise lends me to believe that their brand is pretty strong. I hope Snyder never changes the name. All this political peanut gallery sensitivity bullshit is really f***ing annoying.

#16 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 29 May 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Yes. Not because it's "congress" per se, but because this is another example of the ever expanding bureaucracy. Congress, nor any other government entity should have an opinion on how a private business markets itself. SUre, the individuals working in those government entitities can have their own opinions, but they should be that... individual and not coming from "congress". As long as an enterprise is running a lawful business, congress should not glance in their direction.

#17 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 29 May 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Yes. Not because it's "congress" per se, but because this is another example of the ever expanding bureaucracy. Congress, nor any other government entity should have an opinion on how a private business markets itself. SUre, the individuals working in those government entitities can have their own opinions, but they should be that... individual and not coming from "congress". As long as an enterprise is running a lawful business, congress should not glance in their direction.

Yeah, well, that's all it is...a few individuals from congress (not the entire entity) expressing an opinion. They're not forcing anyone to do anything.

And stop with garbage about "spend more time fixing the economy" crap...this takes a few seconds out of their day. If you want to fix the economy get rid of the party system and it's ridiculous kindergarten gang mentality.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 29 May 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Really? I mean, really!?

Really!?...

becuase of this..

View Postsantana, on 29 May 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

A lot of people are annoyed that congress is bothering with the nfl at all when they should be focused on the budget or something

exactly, they have more important crap to deal with then the name of a sports franchise
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

I still want a team names the Whiteskins.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Or maybe the Micks™
Posted Image

• (5 Pages)
  • +