NYJetsFan.com Forums: Futuristic High-Speed Tube Travel Could Take You From New York To Los Angeles In 45 Minutes - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

2JBallar01 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 07:10 AM) Sanchez is looking good for the eagles. Crazy how a good offense and the right system can make you look so much better. When you're put into a situatuon to succeed, magic happens. Happy for Sanchez, i think he needed a change just as much as the Jets did.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 08:02 AM) Preseason doesn't matter at all
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 August 2014 - 11:10 AM) anyone have a stream for the preseaosn agme by chance?
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Don't read to much into Mark in the preseason. He usually looked good in the preseason even in a Jets uniform.. Big difference from regular season where the 1st string defense is playing 100%.
ROBJETS Icon : (22 August 2014 - 09:09 PM) A lot of 1st stringers are just getting reps in and trying not to get injured. Its only the backups trying to keep or get a job playing hard every down. If preseason qb play meant anything then Matt Simms would be the starting qb of the Jets.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 August 2014 - 12:00 AM) In Geno we trust
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 August 2014 - 07:23 AM) preseason or not, our offense hasn't looked competent in a while like it does this year. our rushing attack should be very good. Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory could be a dynamic duo
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 10:14 AM) http://youtu.be/2X0H709cJkA
santana Icon : (23 August 2014 - 01:28 PM) 2-0 lead most dangerous kind of lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 02:46 PM) Sam Bradford tears ACL and out for the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 03:13 PM) Dimitri Patterson is MISSING
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 August 2014 - 04:50 PM) BREAKING NEWS: NO FAT CHICKS!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Rams want Sanchez
MikeGangGree... Icon : (24 August 2014 - 10:28 PM) Shotty and Sanchez again
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM) Champ Bailey to be released by Denver. Considering how busted up we are and Patterson now being suspended, do we take a look?
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:05 PM) Cro rumored to be gettin released from Arizona. We should definitely bring him in since he already knows the system and he's bett erhtan our 3rd/4th stringers which is where we're at at this point.
FlyHiJets Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM) *better than
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 01:58 PM) Cro may get released?!
Chaos Icon : (25 August 2014 - 02:07 PM) /announcement
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 04:54 PM) patterson suspended indefinatly by idzik. were fucked at CB right now
azjetfan Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:35 PM) Do the Rams have a CB worth trading for?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 08:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) Saunders had a seizure, that is why he got into a car crash. He returned to practice, weird/
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:00 AM) ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Jets tried trading WR Stepehen Hill this summer. No takers. Let's see if final cuts today and Saturday change that equation.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:15 AM) i hate izdik
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 12:32 PM) Our starting CB Walls working in rehab area
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:52 PM) any CBs that are decent on the trade block or facing salary cuts?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 03:00 PM) I wouldnt cut Hill watch him go to NE and turn into Randy Moss
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) I'm just glad there aren't anymore greedy bastards on the team to deal with
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) Or street thugs
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:13 PM) f*** a CB problem
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 03:49 PM) need 1 more in the fantasy league
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:33 PM) Dimitri suspended for the rest of preseason. I'm sorry, I know we are bone dry at corner these days but they should have cut this prick on the spot . He's going to get torched regardless this year and I'd rather cut ties with any potential cancerous attitutudes before the season even starts.
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 PM) Where I come from you take responsibility for your actions. Not showing up for a game is cowardly and selfish. f*** him
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 08:36 PM) Also he doesn't know what the acronym AWOL means so he's also an idiot. No wonder he's never been anything but a journeyman corner is this league.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 09:11 PM) So how do you really feel?
RetireChrebet Icon : (Yesterday, 11:18 PM) I think my last three posts pretty much summarize how I feel haha. He's making 1.5 mill this year and no call no shows because his feeling are hurt. Would rather you play corner azjetfan than this guy
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 08:12 AM) Need 1 more for FFB!!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:39 AM) Stephen Hill is going to get cut, guy sucks. Greg Salas is a better football player and deserves a spot over him
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:27 AM) So when do we show up to 115s house with pitchforks, tar and feathers?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 12:03 PM) i'd rather see idzik go then hill. fire idzik
bleedsgreen Icon : (Today, 12:21 PM) Hill is such a disappointment. I really was hopping for so much when he scored 2 TDs his first game
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:11 PM) We need to get the J-E-T-S chant back this year to the way it was
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:13 PM) idk if any of u guys went to any of the games last year[Im sure some of u did] but im not a fan of the drumline leading the chant
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:14 PM) its not the same as 70,000 people doing it during every kickoff and after every score
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Futuristic High-Speed Tube Travel Could Take You From New York To Los Angeles In 45 Minutes

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Looks like bank tellers may have a second calling.

Traveling across the country or the world via any modern mode of transportation is a time-consuming affair. It can also be really annoying with the long lines, crying babies, armrest hogs, cramped space, etc. Would it not be the most awesome invention ever if some new type of transportation could cut that travel time significantly?

Get ready, because it may only be a few years from becoming a reality. A company called ET3 has plans in the works for the Evacuated Tube Transport, a high-speed transportation tube that uses magnetic levitation. The ETT can travel at speeds of up to 4,000 miles per hour, and each tube seats a maximum of six people and comes with a baggage compartment. How does it go so fast? It's airless and frictionless and could have you from New York to Los Angeles in 45 minutes, as opposed to the nearly five hours a direct flight would take. It could even have you depart from New York and be in Beijing in two hours.

The tubes would be set up like freeways to prevent crowding and traffic congestion problems. Plus, ET3 claims that passengers need not worry about feeling discomfort while traveling at such high speeds. The high velocity at which the tubes move is equal to 1G of force at top speed, which is similar to the force felt by someone traveling in a car on the freeway.

Daryl Oster, the founder and CEO of ET3, says that he got the idea for the tube transport system when he visited China back in the 1980s.

When and if the tubes make their debut in the next decade, they will initially be used to transport cargo, not people.

http://news.yahoo.co...07828.html?vp=1

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Something like that would be nice. I would love for the U.S. to have a high speed rail system like Europe and Japan has. Chris Matthews said something on his show the other day that is very true. We (the United States) won World War II but Germany and Japan have these 21st century rail systems today and we're still going along on rickety old Amtrak. We need to update and invest in things like this.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#3 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 31 May 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Something like that would be nice. I would love for the U.S. to have a high speed rail system like Europe and Japan has. Chris Matthews said something on his show the other day that is very true. We (the United States) won World War II but Germany and Japan have these 21st century rail systems today and we're still going along on rickety old Amtrak. We need to update and invest in things like this.

As long as it is not from federal tax dollars I am in.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 31 May 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

As long as it is not from federal tax dollars I am in.

I guess it was a good thing Lincoln didn't think that way when it came time to build the First Transcontinental Railroad (during the Civil War BTW). Or TR when it came to building the Panama Canal. Or Coolidge, Hoover, and FDR when it came to building the Hoover Dam (during the Great Depression). Or Eisenhower when the interstate highway system was built.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#5 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I don't have the energy or want to go through all this again. The pros vs cons of government run or private company. We can agree to disagree at this point. The reason the article interested me was because it was a company doing it.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 31 May 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

I don't have the energy or want to go through all this again. The pros vs cons of government run or private company. We can agree to disagree at this point. The reason the article interested me was because it was a company doing it.

Well as we all know private companies do everything right all the time, every time. A private company could never build something that large all by themselves. It would have to be a public/private partnership.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#7 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 31 May 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

Well as we all know private companies do everything right all the time, every time. A private company could never build something that large all by themselves. It would have to be a public/private partnership.

No one is perfect including government and business. It would need to be regulated of course. Maybe even funded (through interest bearing loans not grants or gifts). Much less waste than if the government did it.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 31 May 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

No one is perfect including government and business. It would need to be regulated of course. Maybe even funded (through interest bearing loans not grants or gifts). Much less waste than if the government did it.

I feel since the tax payers would benefit from this directly and indirectly they can fund it. Just like we already do with other forms of transportation. We spent billions rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure, we can start rebuilding and modernizing our own.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#9 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 31 May 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

I feel since the tax payers would benefit from this directly and indirectly they can fund it. Just like we already do with other forms of transportation. We spent billions building Iraq's infrastructure, we can start rebuilding and modernizing our own.

The fact we are rebuilding another country's with tax payer funds is a whole other issue with a lot of complexity. I will leave that one alone other than to say two wrongs don't make a right. Tax payers would pay either way. But instead of an inefficient government tripping over itself all the way through this project, I feel a private company would not only complete it for much less tax money but also would pay it back possibly with interest. Even with no interest Americans would benefit. Even if they only paid half back we would benefit.

I am not sure how Michigan builds roads but n WI and AZ and others the road construction is bided on and completed by private companies. I bank a lot of these companies. Granted this circumstance is still paid for with tax dollars and owned by the state, but the point is give them a plan and regs and they can get it done cheaper and better.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 31 May 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

The fact we are rebuilding another country's with tax payer funds is a whole other issue with a lot of complexity. I will leave that one alone other than to say two wrongs don't make a right. Tax payers would pay either way. But instead of an inefficient government tripping over itself all the way through this project, I feel a private company would not only complete it for much less tax money but also would pay it back possibly with interest. Even with no interest Americans would benefit. Even if they only paid half back we would benefit.

I am not sure how Michigan builds roads but n WI and AZ and others the road construction is bided on and completed by private companies. I bank a lot of these companies. Granted this circumstance is still paid for with tax dollars and owned by the state, but the point is give them a plan and regs and they can get it done cheaper and better.

Cheaper does not always mean better. Sometimes cheaper means the people building something are cutting corners, which ends up with putting people at risk of getting hurt or killed. I personally don't see the government funding rebuilding and building new infrastructure as a bad thing. That's how this country was built. All those thing we take for granted now (roads, highways, airports, train systems, sanitation systems, schools, protecting natural resources) were things built and maintained with tax dollars. And I don't see the majority of Americans saying make those things all private. I'm all for letting private business help build it. But them controlling and maintaining it, no way.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#11 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

I agree that government work can be incredibly inefficient. It's an unfortunate result of the nature of where the money is coming from for public vs private work.

BUT, I'm an architect, and you have to be on top of builder's asses nonstop for quality control. They will cut corners left and right to make it as cheap as possible...because profit is the bottom line for them.

It's a double edge sword. Public (assumedly) gives you better quality...but less efficiently. Private gives you efficient work...but (possibly) lesser quality. That's why it needs to be a partnership of the two.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 31 May 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Cheaper does not always mean better. Sometimes cheaper means the people building something are cutting corners, which ends up with putting people at risk of getting hurt or killed. I personally don't see the government funding rebuilding and building new infrastructure as a bad thing. That's how this country was built. All those thing we take for granted now (roads, highways, airports, train systems, sanitation systems, schools, protecting natural resources) were things built and maintained with tax dollars. And I don't see the majority of Americans saying make those things all private. I'm all for letting private business help build it. But them controlling and maintaining it, no way.

I don't recall saying cheaper is always better. I also don't disagree with it not being a bad thing but what if the government would have made it a initiative to make all these projects private? All I am saying is it would be cheaper for you me and every tax payer if we went this direction.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 01 June 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

I agree that government work can be incredibly inefficient. It's an unfortunate result of the nature of where the money is coming from for public vs private work.

BUT, I'm an architect, and you have to be on top of builder's asses nonstop for quality control. They will cut corners left and right to make it as cheap as possible...because profit is the bottom line for them.

It's a double edge sword. Public (assumedly) gives you better quality...but less efficiently. Private gives you efficient work...but (possibly) lesser quality. That's why it needs to be a partnership of the two.

I strongly disagree that public gives you better quality. As far as laborers slacking off....that's going to happen either way. That is the reason for regulations and quality control. The job will be completed to plan. The government does have a place here just like in other areas of our life.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

I don't recall saying cheaper is always better. I also don't disagree with it not being a bad thing but what if the government would have made it a initiative to make all these projects private? All I am saying is it would be cheaper for you me and every tax payer if we went this direction.

I'm saying somebody being able to do something cheaper is not always better. Many times you get what you pay for. I don't see it as the big, bad government coming to take my money to build something like this. I see it as me making an investment in our country's infrastructure. Other nations have made this kind of investment in their infrastructure, we used to invest in our own infrastructure. We can do it again.

The Works Progress Administration: Help Wanted
The WPA put millions to work during the Great Depression.

POSTED BY: David Hawley
September 04, 2012

On a sweltering summer day in 1935, an audience of skeptical farmers gathered in an auditorium at the University of Iowa to listen to a local boy—Harry Hopkins, the son of a harness maker from the nearby town of Grinnell—talk about another new federal agency. The Great Depression had spawned an era of acronym agencies, and Hopkins was there to explain the latest one created by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt: the Works Progress Administration, or WPA. In the ensuing eight years of its existence, the activities of the WPA would impact virtually every community in the United States. Indeed, its legacy continues to this day.

The farmers gathered in that hall in Iowa City already knew quite a bit about Hopkins, the blunt and brash former social worker who had been heading relief programs for FDR dating back to Roosevelt’s governorship of New York. As president, Roosevelt had tapped Hopkins for top jobs with the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and the short-lived Civil Works Administration (CWA). Now Hopkins was heading a new multibillion-dollar jobs program: the WPA.

The 42-year-old Hopkins had an astonishing talent for getting things done and an equally remarkable talent for one other thing: spending money. In a stem-winding speech, he reminded the farmers of the social devastation of the past few years: Twenty-five percent of the overall work force—some 15 million people in a nation of 130 million—were unemployed, he noted. Millions of families—as many as 60 million people—were depending on the largess of relatives or pittances from private charities and government agencies. At best, they were stigmatized as the “deserving poor.” More harshly, they were called “bums.”

The solution described by Hopkins wasn’t new, then or now: Workers needed jobs. The WPA was poised to step in and create them—government-paid jobs on public projects to build infrastructure and address public needs while also providing wages for the unemployed and customers for floundering businesses.

Hopkins had just triumphantly topped off his speech when a voice shouted out the question on everybody’s mind: “Who’s going to pay for all that?” Hopkins deliberately stoked the dramatic moment by stripping off his rumpled jacket and tossing it on a chair. Rolling up his sleeves, the lanky, angular-faced Hopkins clutched the sides of the podium and glared out at the audience. The question was hanging in the air: Who’s going to pay for all that?
“You are!” he shouted, then pausing to let it sink in. “And who better? Who can better afford to pay for it? Look at this great university. Look at these fields, these forests and rivers. This is America, the richest country in the world! We can afford to pay for anything we want!”

Of all the public-works programs created under the New Deal, the one best remembered is the WPA. It was larger and lasted longer—until 1943—than many of the Depression-era building programs. With projects in almost every community, it was also more deeply enmeshed in politics than other programs. Its organization was messier and its ambitions were chronically underfunded. It was, in fact, the favorite whipping boy for critics of the New Deal.

The 8.5 million workers employed by the WPA over its lifetime were mocked as shiftless shovel-leaners and many of its projects gave rise to a new word: “boondoggle.” Red-baiting congressmen accused its white-collar projects—such as the Federal Theatre and other cultural projects under a program called “Federal One”—as being hotbeds for Communists. Even its initials became a taunt: WPA, its critics said, stood for “We Piddle Around.”

Conceived as a temporary program, the WPA lived in the present. Its budget had to be reauthorized annually, which made long-term planning virtually impossible. More significantly, it reflected Roosevelt’s scattergun approach to New Deal agencies that involved murky, overlapping objectives and divided authority.

From the outset, Hopkins had a rival: Harold Ickes, who headed the Public Works Administration (PWA), which was supposed to handle larger infrastructure projects. The PWA and the WPA not only had confusingly similar names and acronyms, but they reflected the styles and priorities of their leaders. Ickes was known for a deliberate, well-planned approach to projects, while Hopkins had a reputation for speed and flexibility, combined with a capacity for hard work and a caustic disregard for hierarchy. One historian who grew up during the New Deal era later said it was easy to tell the difference between a PWA and a WPA project—the WPA project always involved more workers, fewer machinery, and more shovels.

By 1936, the WPA employed about 25 percent of the nation’s jobless, and its popularity helped Roosevelt gain reelection in a thumping electoral victory. By design, WPA workers were paid less than comparable private-sector workers in an effort to encourage nonpublic job seeking. Wages varied between regions and occupations, but overall, an average WPA worker made $41.57 a month. In its eight-year existence, the WPA spent about $11 billion, but its accomplishments were staggering. These included construction of 651,000 miles of roads, streets, and highways, 124,000 bridges, 125,000 public buildings and stadiums, more than 8,000 parks, and 853 airfields and airports.

Along the way, the WPA gave its critics plenty of ammunition by making occasional blunders. In Mount Airy, N.C., for example, workers constructed a 40-foot-thick dam to create a new lake while neglecting to note that the lake didn’t have a source for water. In another misstep, WPA workers built an ice rink in Butte, Mont., that was too far from a hydrant to be flooded.

Roosevelt’s reaction to these widely reported goofs was typically light-touched. “If we can ‘boondoggle’ ourselves out of this depression, that word is going to be enshrined in the hearts of the people for many years to come,” he said.

Construction projects made up about 77 percent of WPA work, but workers in the federal jobs program also distinguished themselves in dealing with natural disasters, as when the Ohio River flooded in 1937, devastating river communities from West Virginia to Illinois. When a hurricane hit New England in September 1938, WPA workers joined cleanup and recovery efforts. In many ways, the WPA became part of the nation’s social fabric.

Projects for professional and non-manual laborers were criticized as make-work, but they took 11 percent of WPA funds. These included research and records projects on a wide variety of social topics, such as health surveys, research assistance at universities, education programs for schools, libraries and museums, and a variety of arts programs.

The WPA funded medical and dental programs, housekeeping aides, home visits for the elderly and sick, and even shoe-repair projects to mend the well-worn shoes of public school students. Using surplus agricultural commodities collected from the federal crop-reduction program, the WPA provided more than 1.2 billion school lunches to children from relief families. “Production-For-Use” projects, including sewing rooms, employed more than half of the women working under WPA funding.

The WPA ended when World War II brought on full employment. On July 1, 1943, The New York Times reported the agency’s obituary in four paragraphs buried on page 9. The perfunctory notice didn’t mention the passions that the WPA had inspired or its sweeping accomplishments.
Few believe that a WPA in the form of wholesale public jobs will ever happen again. But as historian Nick Taylor observed, the WPA epitomized “the New Deal’s fundamental wisdom of treating people as a resource and not as a commodity.

“Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Hopkins believed that people given a job would do it well, and the fact that their paychecks were issued by the government would not make a whit of difference,” Taylor observed. “They were right. The workers of the WPA shone. They excelled. They created works that even without restoration have lasted for more than 70 years and still stand strong—art that is admired, research that is relied upon, infrastructure that endures.”

David Hawley is a freelance writer from Minneapolis, Minn.

New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

I'm saying somebody being able to do something cheaper is not always better. Many times you get what you pay for. I don't see it as the big, bad government coming to take my money to build something like this. I see it as me making an investment in our country's infrastructure. Other nations have made this kind of investment in their infrastructure, we used to invest in our own infrastructure. We can do it again.

I don't think we are on the same page here. Lets change the circumstances.

A tire manufacturer makes tires and sells them to a distribution company. The distribution company then seems them to the tire store. Each entity has made a profit doing this. Thus raising the cost to the consumer. Now lets say the distribution company is cut out. There is only one margin now saving the consumer money for the same product. The government is the distributed.

Now instead of those billions of dollars going towards this they could go towards schools and better uses.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

I don't think we are on the same page here. Lets change the circumstances.

A tire manufacturer makes tires and sells them to a distribution company. The distribution company then seems them to the tire store. Each entity has made a profit doing this. Thus raising the cost to the consumer. Now lets say the distribution company is cut out. There is only one margin now saving the consumer money for the same product. The government is the distributed.

Now instead of those billions of dollars going towards this they could go towards schools and better uses.

The tire manufacturer and tire store could still raise prices. The manufacturer could say it costs more to ship the tires to the store (fuel costs), so they charge the store more. Because the store is now paying out more to the manufacturer they raise their prices. Meaning the consumer still pays more. Private businesses are in it to make a profit for themselves first and foremost. Providing a service to the public is ALWAYS a secondary concern (if a concern at all). There are just some things that a private company can not do on its own. Infrastructure is one of them. I'm not concerned about saving myself money. I'd rather have quality over efficiency.

As far as that money we save by leaving it up to private business to build infrastructure going to schools goes, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Not when we have some folks in power who want to cut education funding year after year after year. But then want poor kids to go fight very expensive and unnecessary wars overseas while cutting taxes for billionaires and millionaires. Then of course there are the people who keep voting for them because they want to "take their country back" and call any gov't service that doesn't benefit them directly "evil socialism."

Posted Image
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#17 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

The tire manufacturer and tire store could still raise prices. The manufacturer could say it costs more to ship the tires to the store (fuel costs), so they charge the store more. Because the store is now paying out more to the manufacturer they raise their prices. Meaning the consumer still pays more. Private businesses are in it to make a profit for themselves first and foremost. Providing a service to the public is ALWAYS a secondary concern (if a concern at all). There are just some things that a private company can not do on its own. Infrastructure is one of them. I'm not concerned about saving myself money. I'd rather have quality over efficiency.

As far as that money we save by leaving it up to private business to build infrastructure going to schools goes, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Not when we have some folks in power who want to cut school funding year after year after year. But then want to go fight very expensive and unnecessary wars overseas while cutting taxes for billionaires and millionaires. Then of course there are the people who keep voting for them because they want to "take their country back."

They could raise prices or lower them since warranty issues would be resolved easier and less expensive etc... but lets stick to the story . The people holding funds from schools is another issue. The war bit ditto.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

They could raise prices or lower them since warranty issues would be resolved easier and less expensive etc... but lets stick to the story . The people holding funds from schools is another issue. The war bit ditto.

These things are all intertwined though. I'm saying some of the money going to the Pentagon could be going to infrastructure instead. That's why I brought up Iraq. We were told their oil would pay for that war, it didn't. We had to tear that country up and then rebuild it....on borrowed money since we cut taxes for the rich...twice. If we had spent some of that money that went to Iraq and tax cuts on things like in that article, we'd be better off today and we wouldn't be talking about this right now. We have to think about the future. But our 21st century country won't go far using this 20th century infrastructure.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#19 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

As far as that money we save by leaving it up to private business to build infrastructure going to schools goes, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Not when we have some folks in power who want to cut education funding year after year after year. But then want poor kids to go fight very expensive and unnecessary wars overseas while cutting taxes for billionaires and millionaires. Then of course there are the people who keep voting for them because they want to "take their country back" and call any gov't service that doesn't benefit them directly "evil socialism."

Posted Image

I think you are assuming I am saying no government evolvement. That's not accurate. What I am saying is it should be funded privately. The government should do things to encourage this growth and regulate it, but why spend the money on a high speed rail over our public schools, healthcare increased SS income? The airlines are funded privately. The barges that carry all our goods from overseas are funded privately. The "want their country back" is one small demographic of people. I am sure half the idiots who say that could not tell you what they mean. The other half are probably KKK members or people who's opinions are not a thought process.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

These things are all intertwined though. I'm saying some of the money going to the Pentagon could be going to infrastructure instead. That's why I brought up Iraq. We were told their oil would pay for that war, it didn't. We had to tear that country up and then rebuild it....on borrowed money since we cut taxes for the rich...twice. If we had spent some of that money that went to Iraq and tax cuts on things like in that article, we'd be better off today and we wouldn't be talking about this right now. We have to think about the future. But our 21st century country won't go far using this 20th century infrastructure.

That is poor leadership though. ( that's not an Obama jab). Our political structure is broken. While our core beliefs and principals still are intact and I bet 90 percent of people agree what the final results should be, we seem to disagree on how to get there. We need to be united as a country to become great. Otherwise we will keep going around and around like we have been the past decades. I hope whom ever wins the next election is more in the middle of the liberal vs conservative bs. Someone who can unite us once again.
Posted Image

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users