NYJetsFan.com Forums: Futuristic High-Speed Tube Travel Could Take You From New York To Los Angeles In 45 Minutes - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets vs Bills this weekend... Is this an easy game yet?
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:52 PM) enjoy it
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) you would like my sanctuary here in nola
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) they put the megamix on for me on the large screen
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:53 PM) then i get all the individual screens with the separate games
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) ill be around on the ipad for the TOP BANTZ 05
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:54 PM) i'm the only fool there drinking on tuesday/wednesday afternoons
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) I'd knuckle up next to ya buddy. Although I do prefer being alone for LFC haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 12:55 PM) that sounds like a solid spot
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:02 PM) yeah i feel that i thought more people would make it better but during the wc it filled up with filthy casuals
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:03 PM) dont touch me casual! and i ran out of there
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 01:55 PM) http://i.imgur.com/cMQ53OF.jpg
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) It's so lovely to see you two getting along
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Warms my heart
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) yeah but we both decided that we hate you
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) KILL YO SELF
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) 05 loves me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:58 PM) I'm delightful
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) fact
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Yeah well titties
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) HALA Madrid
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:18 PM) Big titties at that
santana Icon : (22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM) http://gfycat.com/Co...ulMessyHorsefly
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:43 AM) Should I start Rivers tonight or Brady on Sunday?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:48 AM) rivers
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 12:04 PM) brady
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM) raul
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM) jared
azjetfan Icon : (23 October 2014 - 02:32 PM) Take the better match up
Jetsman05 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 03:31 PM) is 115 in the fantasy league
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 October 2014 - 04:25 PM) nope
MikeGangGree... Icon : (23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM) 10-6!!!!
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) no doubt
santana Icon : (23 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) believe!!!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:12 AM) TEHN AND SIX
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:18 AM) TEH JETS!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:23 AM) SILVA!
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) Wait I mean
santana Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) FIRE IDZICK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:05 AM) What channel can I watch el clasico
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:06 AM) TEH CLASICO
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 11:39 AM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Today, 01:05 PM) Messi to Suarez to Neymar and goal
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) My nipples were so stiff
santana Icon : (Today, 01:06 PM) Isco the Spanish Shepard so tenacious gotta order that kit!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 10:31 PM) WE THE PEOPLE
Resize Shouts Area

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Futuristic High-Speed Tube Travel Could Take You From New York To Los Angeles In 45 Minutes

#21 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

I think you are assuming I am saying no government evolvement. That's not accurate. What I am saying is it should be funded privately. The government should do things to encourage this growth and regulate it, but why spend the money on a high speed rail over our public schools, healthcare increased SS income? The airlines are funded privately. The barges that carry all our goods from overseas are funded privately. The "want their country back" is one small demographic of people. I am sure half the idiots who say that could not tell you what they mean. The other half are probably KKK members or people who's opinions are not a thought process.

That's where we disagree. I don't think it should be funded privately (not the majority of it). I think private companies should help build it, but we should fund it since we're benefiting from it. If we left it up to private companies to build something that massive (NYC to LA is a long ways) it would never get done. Especially if we had another economic collapse like we did in 2008 and 2009 in the middle of the construction. There is no way the Hoover Dam could have been completed during the Great Depression if it were funded privately. We could have a bunch of half built tubes all over the place just sitting there for years transporting nothing. Just like we had a bunch of construction projects left unfinished after the Great Recession. No, this would have to be built with tax dollars like the interstate highway system was.

If it was a private company building a skyscraper or something in a single area, okay. But a project that goes from New York to Los Angeles (with stops in between), no way. That reminds me of those stories I hear about private companies going to the moon and building communities there. No way they could do that on there own.

Yeah the airlines are privately funded, and everybody loves the service we get from the airlines. I thank God the airlines don't employ the air traffic controllers. If we had high speed rail (or tubes), that would take some of the pressure off the airlines. There wouldn't be so much congestion and overbooked flights. There pilots and other staff wouldn't be so over worked. Yes they'd lose some customers, but the customers the do have they'd be able to provide better service to.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#22 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

That's where we disagree. I don't think it should be funded privately (not the majority of it). I think private companies should help build it, but we should fund it since we're benefiting from it. If we left it up to private companies to build something that massive (NYC to LA is a long ways) it would never get done. Especially if we had another economic collapse like we did in 2008 and 2009 in the middle of the construction. There is no way the Hoover Dam could have been completed during the Great Depression if it were funded privately. We could have a bunch of half built tubes all over the place just sitting there for years transporting nothing. Just like we had a bunch of construction projects left unfinished after the Great Recession. No, this would have to be built with tax dollars like the interstate highway system was.

If it was a private company building a skyscraper or something in a single area, okay. But a project that goes from New York to Los Angeles (with stops in between), no way. That reminds me of those stories I hear about private companies going to the moon and building communities there. No way they could do that on there own.

Yeah the airlines are privately funded, and everybody loves the service we get from the airlines. I thank God the airlines don't employ the air traffic controllers. If we had high speed rail (or tubes), that would take some of the pressure off the airlines. There wouldn't be so much congestion and overbooked flights. There pilots and other staff wouldn't be so over worked. Yes they'd lose some customers, but the customers the do have they'd be able to provide better service to.

So is it your belief that any project that a portion of the society will use should be funded by the government? As far as the air traffic controllers... That is government regs. Very similar to what I am describing. If you think the service would be better than the airlines you should visit the DMV more often.
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

So is it your belief that any project that a portion of the society will use should be funded by the government? As far as the air traffic controllers... That is government regs. Very similar to what I am describing. If you think the service would be better than the airlines you should visit the DMV more often.

If it's going to be an extremely massive project involving many different cities and states like that one, yes. Even if a person doesn't use "the rails" or "the tubes," they'll still benefit from them indirectly. Just like somebody who doesn't have an automobile still benefits from the roads and highways. And I've never had a problem at the DMV (and that's an agency controlled by the state gov't, not the federal). But I've had a few nightmare airline/flying experiences.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.

#24 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

If it's going to be an extremely massive project involving many different cities and states like that one, yes. Even if a person doesn't use "the rails" or "the tubes," they'll still benefit from them indirectly.

If that is the theory, you could debate that about just about anything.
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

View Postazjetfan, on 02 June 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

That is poor leadership though. ( that's not an Obama jab). Our political structure is broken. While our core beliefs and principals still are intact and I bet 90 percent of people agree what the final results should be, we seem to disagree on how to get there. We need to be united as a country to become great. Otherwise we will keep going around and around like we have been the past decades. I hope whom ever wins the next election is more in the middle of the liberal vs conservative bs. Someone who can unite us once again.

While that is our only hope of surviving and prospering as a nation...I can't imagine it happening. The party lines are getting stronger, and when the freaking politicians are deciding to not pass good laws just because it was proposed by a member of the opposite party...I can't imagine this getting any better.

We're fucked. America is on the decline, we're following the path of every previous empire. Getting too big and pompous for our own good.
Posted Image

#26 User is offline   HurricaneJet32 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostMr_Jet, on 02 June 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

If it's going to be an extremely massive project involving many different cities and states like that one, yes. Even if a person doesn't use "the rails" or "the tubes," they'll still benefit from them indirectly. Just like somebody who doesn't have an automobile still benefits from the roads and highways. And I've never had a problem at the DMV (and that's an agency controlled by the state gov't, not the federal). But I've had a few nightmare airline/flying experiences.

Oh come on...don't try to pretend like going to the DMV is a pleasant, efficient experience!!!
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 03 June 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

We're fucked. America is on the decline, we're following the path of every previous empire. Getting too big and pompous for our own good.

I agree. The division of people in America is horrid. There will always be a division of opinion but when it gets to a point where we are ineffective as a system and refuse to work together or comprimise, there are problems. I have said it before and will again. The Federal government has become to big. Time to scale it down. Return the power to the local governments.
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 03 June 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Oh come on...don't try to pretend like going to the DMV is a pleasant, efficient experience!!!

Personally I have never had what I would consider a good experience in a DMV. AZ, SC, NY and WI are the states I have used as a resident and FL and GA I have been in with either my mother or grandmother. I am also one of those guys who will go online and have all my documents ready and have the requirements printed so when they say I need something else I can say I don't. Not to mention the time hole that place is.
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

If that is the theory, you could debate that about just about anything.

Like I said something that is built in a single era (like a skyscraper or a football stadium) could be funded and built privately with great success. But a private company could not single handily build a transportation system that goes across the continental United States. I just don't believe that they could fund a project like that privately. What company even has the money today or in the near future to fund something that huge from beginning to end?

View PostHurricaneJet32, on 03 June 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

I didn't say it's a pleasant experience. But I don't go in their expecting the people who work there to feed me grapes and kiss the ground I walk on either. I also go in there with the understanding that I'm not the only person there who needs to have his needs met. I take my number out of the little red thing and I wait. The problem is we live in a society that needs instant gratification and if we don't get our needs met immediately, then we're getting "bad service." Some people need to realize the world does not revolve around them and that other people have needs too.

The only real DMV problem I've had is that a few years ago Michigan's former Secretary of State decided to close a number of SoS branch offices all over the state. One of the closed offices was in my hometown. So now when I have to go to the SoS office/DMV, I have to drive 30 miles to the nearest one. All because of state budget cuts. So instead of paying a little more in taxes to keep that office open, the state decided I should give that money to private oil companies (gas money) and put extra mileage on my car instead. Maybe if we had some sort of rail system I could ride that to the SoS office and save on gas.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#30 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I agree. The division of people in America is horrid. There will always be a division of opinion but when it gets to a point where we are ineffective as a system and refuse to work together or comprimise, there are problems. I have said it before and will again. The Federal government has become to big. Time to scale it down. Return the power to the local governments.

I think we Americans are partly at fault for this too. Yes gerrymandering and big money donors have too big of an influences on campaigns and elected officials. But we also segregate ourselves to live in communities with people who look like ourselves, talk like ourselves, act like ourselves, and think like ourselves. So of course that's going to lead to sending elected officials to congress and state legislatures that look, talk, act, and think like their voters do. So a congressman from New York City isn't going to have much in common with a congressman from rural Nebraska.

The problem is now members of congress don't spend ENOUGH time in Washington. Everybody thinks congress is bad, government is wasteful, and they're all just a bunch of crooks. It's hard to get people who already have those negative feelings toward congress and politics in general to think differently. The reasons things aren't getting done isn't simply because Democrats and Republicans hate each other. They don't spend enough time together engaging with each other. There is not enough dialog. Now most of them spend a few days in D.C. then go back to their home districts every weekend. And the little time they do spend in D.C. they spend it with other members of their own party. But back in the old days, before the Gingrich revolution, members of opposite parties spent more time together. They mostly lived in the D.C. area. So that meant their families lived there too. Their kids went to the same schools. They all went to the same dinner parties. They belonged to the same country clubs, so they played golf together. Their spouses and kids were friends with each other. All those things carried over to Capitol Hill. That's why they were able to work together much better back in the day. They actually spent personal time with people from different parties and different parts of the country. I could give many examples of Democrats and Republicans working together on a regular basis before 1994. Just last week Bob Dole said even he and Ronald Reagan couldn't be members of the Republican party today. And the Democrats in congress (and President Obama at times) just act like pussies with no backbone. So I say FDR and LBJ couldn't be Democrats today. It's all sad. We should make congress have to spend more time in Washington so the folks who don't know each other, can get to know each other on a more personal level. That will make their working relationships better.

And the news media doesn't help matters either, but that's a whole other issue.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#31 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Like I said something that is built in a single era (like a skyscraper or a football stadium) could be funded and built privately with great success. But a private company could not single handily build a transportation system that goes across the continental United States. I just don't believe that they could fund a project like that privately. What company even has the money today or in the near future to fund something that huge from beginning to end?

I didn't say it's a pleasant experience. But I don't go in their expecting the people who work there to feed me grapes and kiss the ground I walk on either. I also go in there with the understanding that I'm not the only person there who needs to have his needs met. I take my number out of the little red thing and I wait. The problem is we live in a society that needs instant gratification and if we don't get our needs met immediately, then we're getting "bad service." Some people need to realize the world does not revolve around them and that other people have needs too.

The only real DMV problem I've had is that a few years ago Michigan's former Secretary of State decided to close a number of SoS branch offices all over the state. One of the closed offices was in my hometown. So now when I have to go to the SoS office/DMV, I have to drive 30 miles to the nearest one. All because of state budget cuts. So instead of paying a little more in taxes to keep that office open, the state decided I should give that money to private oil companies (gas money) and put extra mileage on my car instead. Maybe if we had some sort of rail system I could ride that to the SoS office and save on gas.

When I look at these very profitable nation wide companies I see a different view. A lot of them are regulated heavily by the government. Banking, Insurance, food chains, food suppliers utilities ect...

I don't think any expects to be fed grapes. People do however expect to be treated with professionalism and with some customer service. When people do not have to answer to a boss who has a vested interest there is always a problem. Not to mention either training is poor or maybe a high turnover makes it seem like they are clueless.
Posted Image

#32 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

When I look at these very profitable nation wide companies I see a different view. A lot of them are regulated heavily by the government. Banking, Insurance, food chains, food suppliers utilities ect...

But which of these profitable companies has the money and a reason to build a massive infrastructure project like this.

I don't think any expects to be fed grapes. People do however expect to be treated with professionalism and with some customer service. When people do not have to answer to a boss who has a vested interest there is always a problem.

I've always been treated with respect at the SoS office. I've been going there for myself for almost 15 years now and I've only ran into one person who stood out as rude and unprofessional. One in 15 years is pretty good service IMO.

Not to mention either training is poor or maybe a high turnover makes it seem like they are clueless.

And with that sentence you just described one of the biggest corporations in America, Wal-Mart. I would rather go to the DMV a million times than go to the customer service department at Wal-Mart. Or call customer service at Comcast or Verizon. All private companies.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#33 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

But which of these profitable companies has the money and a reason to build a massive infrastructure project like this.

Which one of them had the resources to do all this when they started?

I've always been treated with respect at the SoS office. I've been going there for myself for almost 15 years now and I've only ran into one person who stood out as rude and unprofessional. One in 15 years is pretty good service IMO.

That's great. But I think you are the minority on that one. Maybe MI has it together better than the rest.

And with that sentence you just described one of the biggest corporations in America, Wal-Mart. I would rather go to the DMV a million times than go to the customer service department at Wal-Mart. Or call customer service at Comcast or Verizon. All private companies.

But since Walmart is a private company you have the choice to go somewhere else. With the DMV you do not.
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Which one of them had the resources to do all this when they started?

I don't know, I'm asking you. I can't think of any company that has the money to spend the billions it they'd need to build something like that. And why that company would do that. They'd also have to not only deal with the federal government. They'd also have to deal with multiple state governments and their regulations. Which could be different from state to state.

That's great. But I think you are the minority on that one. Maybe MI has it together better than the rest.

Or maybe I just bring happiness and sunshine everywhere I go....except when I go to customer service at Wal-Mart.

But since Walmart is a private company you have the choice to go somewhere else. With the DMV you do not.

In theory yes, but not in all cases. My hometown has a population of around 3,000 to 4,000 people. Wal-Mart moved in when I was around 7 years old. We used to have two big general stores in that town, one that went back to the early 20th century. Then Wal-Mart moved in and those stores are both long gone now. There was/is a Family Dollar store and stores like that there. But they're not as big as Wal-Mart. Until they finish the Meijer store they're currently building, Wal-Mart is pretty much it when it comes to access to affordable goods and necessities in that town. My great-aunt still lives there. She's too old to drive, especially drive miles to the nearest real Wal-Mart competitor in the area (Meijer). My aunt can't really take her business else where. She pretty much has to shop at Wal-Mart. Now if there were some sort of mass transit system to take her to the nearest Meijer store, then she could shop elsewhere. That's how Wal-Mart operates. They go into small towns and crush the competition. But I guess you can do that when you pay your employees shitty wages so they qualify for food stamps (which they spend at Wal-Mart of course) and Medicaid. Wal-Mart leaves it up to us the tax payers to pay for their employees' food and health care, while Sam Walton's children are billionaires just because they came from Sam Walton's nut. Like the president said, they didn't build that.

But you're right in theory. People can take their business to another private business but not to another government. You know what, that sounds familiar. That sounds like something I've said a number of times here before. That we only have one federal government and we can't go to another federal gov't to provide a service to us. Kind of like that whole drug testing people on public assistance thing. Those people can't go to another gov't if they don't want to be drug tested like they could with a private business.

View PostMr_Jet, on 14 September 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

Companies that drug test their employees are privately owned that's why they can do it. A person has a choice not to take a job with a company that drug tests and work for one that doesn't drug test if they want. But we only have one federal government and that government must follow the constitution especially since gov't employees take an oath to support that constitution.

New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#35 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I don't know, I'm asking you. I can't think of any company that has the money to spend the billions it they'd need to build something like that. And why that company would do that. They'd also have to not only deal with the federal government. They'd also have to deal with multiple state governments and their regulations. Which could be different from state to state.

If you look earlier in the thread I spoke about the government financing it. Also big commercial banks would be all over this due to the government backing it up. I would write this loan.

Or maybe I just bring happiness and sunshine everywhere I go....except when I go to customer service at Wal-Mart.

I am sure that is what it is. :rolleyes:

In theory yes, but not in all cases. My hometown has a population of around 3,000 to 4,000 people. Wal-Mart moved in when I was around 7 years old. We used to have two big general stores in that town, one that went back to the early 20th century. Then Wal-Mart moved in and those stores are both long gone now. There was/is a Family Dollar store and stores like that there. But they're not as big as Wal-Mart. Until they finish the Meijer store they're currently building, Wal-Mart is pretty much it when it comes to access to affordable goods and necessities in that town. My great-aunt still lives there. She's too old to drive, especially drive miles to the nearest real Wal-Mart competitor in the area (Meijer). My aunt can't really take her business else where. She pretty much has to shop at Wal-Mart. Now if there were some sort of mass transit system to take her to the nearest Meijer store, then she could shop elsewhere. That's how Wal-Mart operates. They go into small towns and crush the competition. But I guess you can do that when you pay your employees shitty wages so they qualify for food stamps (which the spend at Wal-Mart of course) and Medicaid. Wal-Mart leaves it up to us the tax payers to pay for their employees' food and health care, while Sam Walton's children are billionaires just because they came from Sam Walton's nut. Like the president said, they didn't build that.

But you're right in theory. People can take their business to another private business but not to another government. You know what, that sounds familiar. That sounds like something I've said a number of times here before. That we only have one federal government and we can't go to another federal gov't to provide a service to us. Kind of like that whole drug testing people on public assistance thing. Those people can't go to another gov't if they don't want to be drug tested like they could with a private business.
sounds like there is an opportunity there. Although having a Walmart in a population of 3000 seems very odd to me. We have a just local foods here. It's a co op where all the employees own equal shares. Does a great biz.
Posted Image

#36 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

If you look earlier in the thread I spoke about the government financing it. Also big commercial banks would be all over this due to the government backing it up. I would write this loan.

I just hope they don't go to a bank that ends up like Lehman Brothers did.

I am sure that is what it is. :rolleyes:

Of course that's what it is. No doubt about it.

sounds like there is an opportunity there. Although having a Walmart in a population of 3000 seems very odd to me. We have a just local foods here. It's a co op where all the employees own equal shares. Does a great biz.

I just looked it up and the 2010 census says the population is 4,403. It was around 3,000 when they built the first store around 20 years ago. But people from smaller surrounding towns shop there too. Like I said Meijer will be there soon. They won't be the only game in that town much longer. Hopefully my aunt lives long enough to be able to shop there.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#37 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

I just hope they don't go to a bank that ends up like Lehman Brothers did.

Most banks are so cash heavy right now. A bank being cash heavy is a bad thing for all. Savings rates stay low for depositors, the bank has to pay FDIC insurance on every dollar they hold. The Fed is not paying banks on deposited money. it is a losing situation. They are looking to lend. This would be a portfolio loan so the Lehman Bros situation would not apply.
Posted Image

#38 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Most banks are so cash heavy right now. A bank being cash heavy is a bad thing for all. Savings rates stay low for depositors, the bank has to pay FDIC insurance on every dollar they hold. The Fed is not paying banks on deposited money. it is a losing situation. They are looking to lend. This would be a portfolio loan so the Lehman Bros situation would not apply.

That's today though. We don't know what the economy will look like in 5, 10, 15 years when this thing is being built. Like I said we could have half built tubes all over the place just sitting there if there is another recession. If the federal gov't is going to back it up, they might as well just fund the damn thing. We shouldn't prevent the gov't from funding it just because some people don't want them too. Other governments have done it in their countries, our gov't has done things like this before, the only criticism I hear is "we don't want tax payers money to fund it." That's not a good enough reason IMO.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

#39 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostMr_Jet, on 03 June 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

That's today though. We don't know what the economy will look like in 5, 10, 15 years when this thing is being built. Like I said we could have half built tubes all over the place just sitting there if there is another recession. If the federal gov't is going to back it up, they might as well just fund the damn thing. We shouldn't prevent the gov't from funding it just because some people don't want them too. Other governments have done it in their countries, our gov't has done things like this before, the only criticism I hear is "we don't want tax payers money to fund it." That's not a good enough reason IMO.

As long as Fannie and Freddie are subsidizing loans banks will be cash heavy. This is not an economy issue. This will continue for the unforeseeable future. Which is a good thing. Otherwise we would fall back into ultra conservative real estate lending. The logic behind the government backing/ subsidizing it is so if the company would default for some reason the lender would not own the system and the project can continue with either a new company owning it or worst case the government taking it over. It's a win win situation. Not to mention the original company would have paid for a large chunk of the costs.

I would rather my taxes go elsewhere is a valid concern and opinion. I think we have better things to do with it.
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 03 June 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

As long as Fannie and Freddie are subsidizing loans banks will be cash heavy. This is not an economy issue. This will continue for the unforeseeable future. Which is a good thing. Otherwise we would fall back into ultra conservative real estate lending. The logic behind the government backing/ subsidizing it is so if the company would default for some reason the lender would not own the system and the project can continue with either a new company owning it or worst case the government taking it over. It's a win win situation. Not to mention the original company would have paid for a large chunk of the costs.

I would rather my taxes go elsewhere is a valid concern and opinion. I think we have better things to do with it.

I'd rather my taxes go towards infrastructure projects and rebuilding America. I don't want to wait until some private company can get the funding. Europe and China would just continue to zoom past us even further and faster when it comes to infrastructure. While our roads and bridges continue to crumble. As I said in my first post, thankfully we didn't think that way when we were building this country's infrastructure in the past.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users