NYJetsFan.com Forums: Thurman Preparing Jets For Defining Stretch - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:44 PM) WHY THE f*** WAS IT A 1ST DOWN
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 03:44 PM) I don't understand the measurement was 1 link short and they still gave them the 1st?
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:45 PM) THE REFS CALLED IT A 1ST DOWN
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:45 PM) We are fucked now
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:45 PM) I don't understand if its short how is it a first down
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 03:46 PM) we got robbed
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 03:50 PM) that ref fucked us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 03:50 PM) and we have zero TO's now
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:50 PM) Because it's the Pats
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 03:52 PM) I just don't understand how the pats always get the f***ing call
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:53 PM) I don't care, losing is better for us long term anyways
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:53 PM) The Jets made it interesting and still accomplished what they needed to.
mgjetman Icon : (Today, 03:53 PM) The Stars and Stripes on the helmet.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:53 PM) Rex showed how good of a defensive coach he is today, he'll have his suitors.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:05 PM) NFC south sucks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:06 PM) under 500 team going to win the iv
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:06 PM) for sure now
jetfan4life12 Icon : (Today, 04:18 PM) No 0099 last week we messed up by winning. We couldn't have lost another spot in the draft. Oh and BTW, it's the effing pats!
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 04:19 PM) Washington won so I belive we are 5 now
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 04:23 PM) Actually don't we win the tie breaker with Jax? So fourth?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:32 PM) I haven't paid attention to the tiebreakers, I'll wait to see what it looks like after next week.
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 04:39 PM) Read my DRAFT thread. No we DONT have 4th. Ive been updating it
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:40 PM) Wow the AFC has 11 teams with 8 wins or more right now
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:40 PM) 12
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:40 PM) 13 if cle wins next week
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 04:40 PM) draft order (1)Wins
(2)Schedule strength (harder schedule strength lower pick not higher)
(3) conference wins)
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:41 PM) HAHA my bad
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:42 PM) 11 teams with 8 wins and 12 if cle wins next week
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 04:51 PM) The draft order isn't like the playoffs. Head to head games are way down on the list. Its clearly listed Wins first then schedule strength then conference wins. Its not hard to do a simple search
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:54 PM) The teams above us that need a QB are the Bucs and maybe Titans
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:54 PM) Zach Mettenberger seems promising, but they could still go QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:54 PM) The Raiders and Jaguars won't draft QB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:00 PM) Jets interested in Todd Bowles? Not my favorite HC candidate. More of the same for woody...
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:03 PM) hire another rookie DC. If we keep Idzik too, I'd be pissed.
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 05:10 PM) Heck the Raiders Buffalo game is the only good game. Colts and Rams getting blown out. I figured the Dallas Indy game would be better
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 05:11 PM) It would be nice to see the raiders get the win to move up a spot but Im not sure about any of the qbs i this draft so I really dont think it matters
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 05:13 PM) might be better off rolling the dice and moving down a few spots to get more picks unless there is a solid olinemanworth taking at the 4th or 5th spot
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 05:14 PM) Id rather the Jets go after Cutler than take a chance on a first round qb this year.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:14 PM) Without Luck, the Colts are trash
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 05:15 PM) SUCK FOR THE DUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 05:15 PM) !!!!
ROBJETS Icon : (Today, 05:15 PM) They were trash without manning too.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:16 PM) f*** THE DUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 05:16 PM) GASP!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 05:16 PM) How dare u say that
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Thurman Preparing Jets For Defining Stretch

#1 User is online   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Jets defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman glanced up from his desk to the team’s schedule hanging above it and rattled off a succession of foes: Falcons, Steelers, Patriots, Bengals and Saints.

It’s the Jets’ midseason schedule, a stretch from Oct. 7 to Nov. 3, that could send the team into oblivion or give them a chance to shock people. The Jets will see some of the best quarterbacks in the NFL — enough to give any defensive coordinator pause, especially if you’re working in seven new starters like Thurman is.

“We’re going to play against some great quarterbacks and some great offenses,” Thurman said. “We’re going to have to be hitting on all cylinders if we’re going to be effective.”

N.Y. Post: Charles WenzelbergNO D-NIAL: New Jets defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said his unit is “going to have to be hitting on all cylinders if we’re going to be effective.”The 57-year-old is in his first year as the Jets’ coordinator after four years of coaching the team’s defensive backs. “DT,” as he is known around football, took over for Mike Pettine in January then saw the Jets defense go through an extreme makeover.

Gone are Bart Scott, Sione Po’uha, Bryan Thomas and Darrelle Revis — all staples of the defense under Rex Ryan. It is possible Thurman’s defense will have five players in either their first or second seasons when the Jets open against Revis’ Buccaneers in September.

“They’re doing pretty good right now, but we’ve got miles to go to get those guys to understand how hard they’re going to have to play, how difficult it is to play at this level against some of the offenses we’re going to play,” Thurman said in his office last week.

Thurman has been preparing for this job for decades. As an All-American safety at USC in the 1970s, he helped mentor a young Ronnie Lott.

“By far, he was one of the biggest influences of not only my football life, but life in general,” Lott said in a phone interview this week.

Lott said Thurman even came back to USC after he was in the NFL and would teach things he learned from Tom Landry as a member of the Cowboys. Thurman’s influence was so profound on Lott, he thanked him in his Hall of Fame induction speech.

“He’s been coaching since he learned the game,” Lott said. “He’s just been a person that has always been a coach. You knew that it was going to be transferrable for him to be a coach. He’s always had a knack of communicating in a way that guys can understand it. A lot of coaches can’t communicate.”

Thurman went on to have a nine-year NFL career, mostly with the Cowboys. When his playing career ended, he spent two years coaching with the Cardinals then returned to USC as a defensive backs coach. During his time at USC, Thurman notably recruited future Giant Jason Sehorn and turned him into a cornerback.

Thurman then coached with Ryan in Baltimore for six years, and Ryan brought him along when he took the Jets’ head coaching job in 2009.

Under Thurman, the Jets’ secondary became a strength. Last year he had the team’s only two Pro Bowlers — Antonio Cromartie and LaRon Landry — and held together the unit after Revis was lost to injury in Week 3.

Now, Thurman takes over a Jets defense with plenty of new faces, and says the team’s youth on defense has its benefits and its drawbacks.

“We’re more athletic,” Thurman said. “We’re faster. It’s nice to see, but less experienced. It’s a trade-off. When you get young guys who are athletic and hungry and want to make their own name, it’s not always bad.”

Thurman knows his mission is to bring the young guys along, and the clock is ticking. All he has to do is look up from his desk for a reminder of that.

http://www.prosports...rticleId=253392
brian.costello@nypost.com

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users