NYJetsFan.com Forums: Expect Defense To Be More Aggressive Again With Rex Calling Plays - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets beat the fish in their own house. Possible 6th pick in the draft.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 PM) they will either win like crazy and make it to the afc champ game or they will just get bounced immediately
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 PM) MILBER
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 PM) TEH MILBER
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 PM) I would of rather seen the chiefs or houston with keenum at qb lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:50 PM) but 1977 will always go down as the year I WAS BORN!!!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:53 PM) 1977 also when atari was released
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 08:53 PM) Living in DC I figured youd like the Ravens some. I dont mind them. Cant stand the Steelers though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:54 PM) They are bad this year
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:54 PM) ugly games specially the last couple of weeks
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:55 PM) also we dont need 3 teams from the afc north
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) One wild card games next weekend will be AFC South divisional so anything could happen
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) meant North
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) I would rather see some fresh faces in the playoffs
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 08:57 PM) Yeah. Last year it was three from the AFC West
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:58 PM) bengals i don't mind. steelers and ravens bleh
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 08:58 PM) I hear you. thats why the Cardinals injuries pisses me off
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 09:00 PM) I wanted to see them have another chance win a Superbowl after they had the last one stolen from them by the Steelers
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 09:02 PM) Kurt Warner 5 years removed with one week of practice would probably play better than the third string qb they have starting now
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 09:02 PM) Well Im off here
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:10 PM) I live in Arizona so im a cardinals fan as well. Sucks about the QB problem with them. It was such a promising year too. Now they have no chance
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:27 PM) they have a chance they play the panthers in carolina
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:28 PM) they could take that game
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 09:53 PM) Mike Wallace is like Santonio Holmes
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:13 PM) santonio holmes is like mike wallace
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:17 PM) agreed
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:19 PM) @MMehtaNYDN 28s28 seconds ago
Woody Johnson will meet with Rex Ryan tomorrow morning when it's expected the owner will tell his head coach that he's making a change #nyj
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:19 PM) I wonder if antonio bryant will follow in their footsteps
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:20 PM) Antonio Brown.......the pick we traded to the steelers for holmes
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 11:22 PM) right brown*
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 11:24 PM) SQUISH THE FISH!!!!
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:50 PM) @mortreport Jets owner Woody Johnson will move swiftly Monday to fire both John Idzik and Rex Ryan, per sources. Johnson won't keep Ryan hanging on fate
JSOTF Icon : (Today, 08:09 AM) Any news on Sexy Rexy?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:25 AM) Good, don't leave Rex hanging. Clean house
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:27 AM) @JayGlazer 8s8 seconds ago
Rex Ryan was just informed that he has been fired. Black Monday has begun
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:31 AM) Jets announce that Idzik is fired as well. Cleanhoused
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:31 AM) @nyjets 2m2 minutes ago
This morning Woody Johnson informed John Idzik and Rex Ryan that they will not be returning to the team in 2015.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:33 AM) Good, don't waste any time. Now get moving to hire the next GM, hopefully hes good.
JSOTF Icon : (Today, 08:35 AM) WOW
JSOTF Icon : (Today, 08:37 AM) Where do they go now? Meaning Woody...
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:42 AM) Start by hiring a GM with a personnel experience.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:42 AM) Not another accountant.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:43 AM) I want them to hire Scot McCloughah, one of the best talent evaluators in the game
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:44 AM) @RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
Last time, #Jets owner Woody Johnson felt he got duped into thinking Idzik had football knowledge. With Casserly & Wolf, won’t happen now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 08:44 AM) LMAO @ Woody
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Expect Defense To Be More Aggressive Again With Rex Calling Plays

#1 User is online   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

1. Bringing the heat: One of the reasons why Rex Ryan has resumed control of the defense is because the Jets want to get back to their ultra-aggressive style from 2009 and 2010. There was a feeling in the locker room that they got too conservative under former coordinator Mike Pettine, whose role expanded over the previous four years to the point where he was heavily involved in play calling in 2011 and 2012. He left after the season in a mysterious lateral move to become the Bills' DC.

"We're going to do a lot of blitzing and getting after people," LB David Harris told me the other day. "There should be a different brand of football than you were used to seeing the last couple of years." Asked about last season's philosophy, Harris said, "We played more coverage. It wasn't like '09, that's obvious. That's all I'll say about that."

Interesting.

The statistics don't lie. Here's a breakdown of the Jets' blitz percentage (5+ pass rushers) over the past four seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information: 52.4 percent in '09 (first in NFL), 44.7 percent in '10 (third), 32.8 percent in '11 (12th) and 34.0 percent in '12 (11th). Detect a trend? In fairness to Pettine, he lost the top corner in football, Darrelle Revis, which may have caused him to become more cautious. Yet when I mentioned that alibi to two players, they shot it down, saying Antonio Cromartie capably replaced Revis as the No. 1 corner. I'll say this: The defense will be fun to watch in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/b..._medium=twitter

Pettine was more conservative than Rex and gained more control of the defense each year.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

The defense needs to ball out because our offense won't be able to score more than 14 PPG.

#3 User is offline   bleedsgreen Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

The 09 defense was one of the best I had ever seen. No one new where the rush was coming from the offensive lines were running the wrong way on most plays. They would bring up a huge amount of guys on the strong side then blitz weak side. The next play same set up then blitz strong side. QBs were going down all over the place we knocked like 5-6 out of games. Revis was playing lights out and shuting down everyone. Last year our defense looked like it couldn't stop a high school team. We have to get back to what we were doing in 09
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postbleedsgreen, on 17 June 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

The 09 defense was one of the best I had ever seen. No one new where the rush was coming from the offensive lines were running the wrong way on most plays. They would bring up a huge amount of guys on the strong side then blitz weak side. The next play same set up then blitz strong side. QBs were going down all over the place we knocked like 5-6 out of games. Revis was playing lights out and shuting down everyone. Last year our defense looked like it couldn't stop a high school team. We have to get back to what we were doing in 09

Our D will be fine. I dont agree with the High School bit. Stats say we were 12 overall last year without Revis. I know that is misleading due to our enept O but still we were better than most in the league. I dont think Revis leaving will be as big an effect as most think. I know he was a once in a lifetime type player but he is still playing CB not QB. The only real concerns I have with the D is the SS FS position. The problems we will have will be scoring points. Keeping the QB upright, blocking for Ivory and who the hell is catching the ball is a much bigger concern for me.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users