NYJetsFan.com Forums: New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez: How Quickly We Forget - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop game vs packers MNf next
Jetsman05 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:45 PM) you want the NFL to say sorry and you want Morningwig canned. You're a clown
bleedsgreen Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:45 PM) Gotta give credit to greenbay. That's a good football team
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:46 PM) f*** an apology. It's not going to change anything in the standings which is what matters at the end of the season.
FlyHiJets Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:46 PM) definitely reminds me of AFC Championship in Denver
canuckfan Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:46 PM) marty ranks up there with bittfumble
canuckfan Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:47 PM) buttfumble
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:47 PM) The should have made sure he knew who was calling the time out. Hell Rex was on his right and Marty was on his left.
mgjetman Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:47 PM) Getting lazy with a minute 50 on the clock before half was the nail in the coffin.
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:48 PM) The ref
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:49 PM) There is plenty of blame to spread around. No team should lose a 17 point lead anyway.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:50 PM) DUDS - Miliner and Marty
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:50 PM) BRUTAL LOSS
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:52 PM) I really don't blame Marty because it's the refs job to make sure he sees who is calling the timeout. Plus the ball had already been snapped before he even noticed somebody was calling a TO.
mgjetman Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:53 PM) Just gave that game away. WTH!!!
Mr_Jet Icon : (14 September 2014 - 06:54 PM) He didn't even blow the whistle until Geno already had dropped back to pass. The play was already well underway.
bleedsgreen Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:03 PM) I heard it when the ball was already in the air
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) but it shouldn't of come down to that TO blunder
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) we did give up a 18 point lead
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) so we fucked up and lost
bleedsgreen Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) True
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:05 PM) time to get ready for MNF
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) Well it sucks when you start to feel the jets are going to lose the game them selves
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) the Vick play worthless
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) that run on 3rd and 5 worthless
santana Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:09 PM) chris Johnson also I don't know what his numbers were but ivory seemed to be a better back
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM) Marty just picks the worse time to call those wildcat plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:13 PM) they are drive killers
ROBJETS Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:27 PM) Problem is the corners. We knew this before the start of the season. I was amazed at how well they did last week and the first half but eventually the weakness showed
ROBJETS Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:28 PM) The corner positions will be addressed next year. Technically we are still in a rebuilding phase.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 07:39 PM) we did go toe to toe against a SB contender and we really shouldn't be heartbroken but if you call yourself a JETS fan and aren't a little pissed over a W that we had in our control then you need to go and hand in your JETS gear ... I'm looking at you 115
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:24 PM) 18 penalties in 2 games
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:25 PM) unacceptable
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 08:27 PM) Geno dropped from #1 to #28 in TOTAL QBR
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:10 PM) Cutler just got popped right in the chest
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:11 PM) that was a squared up right in the middle of the chest hit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (14 September 2014 - 09:13 PM) nice one handed catch by Marshall
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) NFL rules state that only the head coach can call a timeout on the sidelines…

Except in Green Bay where anybody up to the third row can call a timeout.
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 10:06 PM) I love NFL memes
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 11:30 PM) Well I will be at the game next Monday night
MikeGangGree... Icon : (14 September 2014 - 11:30 PM) So I will be doing everything I can to help our team win!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:15 AM) 2nd year in a row we should be 2-0
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 12:17 PM) TIMEOUT!!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:05 PM) SPIDER Y 2 BANANA
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:44 PM) FIRE IDZIK
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:54 PM) Eagles need to START SANCHEZ abandon the foles ship
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez: How Quickly We Forget

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez: How Quickly We Forget

COMMENTARY | The New York Jets: Super Bowl contenders. It seems like an anachronism, a joke, a distant memory. Amazing that it was less than two years ago. The Jets, coming off of back-to-back trips to the AFC Championship appearances, one of the most complete teams in the NFL, were heading for shot number three at their first Super Bowl since 1969.

But that was almost two years ago. Now it is 2013, and writers and analysts across the country are competing to see who can have the most pessimistic prediction for the Jets. First it was 7-9 at best, then a repeat of 6-10, then 4-12. Now with the preseason looming, the real crazies are coming out, with predictions like 2-14 or 0-16.

There is nothing quite like mob mentality, and it feeds on itself. If the offseason lasted forever, then without a doubt after a few years of this, we as a nation would all agree that the Jets will go 0-16 and we would all be calling for Geno Smith's retirement before his first snap.

Yet the beauty is that the offseason does not last forever, and that with real games comes reality. And how quickly we forget reality.

... That the Jets Usually Win

How quickly we forget that the Jets win more than they lose. Pessimists often call for more of the same, citing "same old Jets." But if the Jets win the majority of their games, does "same old Jets" mean more wins than losses?

In the Rex Ryan era (since 2009) the Jets are 34-30 in the regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs. The year before Ryan was hired, the Jets went 9-7. If the Jets were to lose 13 games or more (as seems to be the common prediction), it would be the first time since 1996.

Thus, we should at least remember that predicting a 3-13 season is not predicting more of the same but is in fact predicting something radically new.

... That the Jets Were 6-10 Last Season

How quickly we forget that these Jets (that's right, even with Mark Sanchez) won six games last year and were in playoff contention until Week 15. Despite having no Darrelle Revis (injury), no Santonio Holmes (injury) and no Sione Pouha (injury), the team won six games.

Now when citing why the Jets should be worse this year, the common logic is the loss of Revis, the loss of Pouha and the inconsistency of Holmes. But wait. If the team won six games without those guys last year, why would not having them this year mean they should be worse? The Jets have lost nobody who contributed significantly last year (yes, I am counting LaRon Landry). So how could any rationalist expect the team to be worse than last year?

... That Mark Sanchez Does More Than Buttfumble

Anyone who has followed the Jets the past six months knows that it is somewhat obligatory to mention the word "buttfumble" in any Jets-related piece. I think it is at a point now where fans will actually show up to games expecting Sanchez to take a snap and run headfirst into the rear end of whichever offensive lineman he wants to embarrass that day.

How quickly we forget that Mark Sanchez has a winning record as a starter in both the regular season and playoffs. How quickly we forget that he has outplayed both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady head-to-head. Sure, that one play (which did not even matter because the Jets had lost that game anyway) was pretty silly. But acting like it will ever happen again is simply foolish.

And how quickly we forget that Sanchez was the starter last year and had his worst year. What we learned in 2012 is that no matter how awful Sanchez plays, the Jets can still win six games. Six games is their absolute floor, because with Sanchez having a terrible season (the worst of his career by far) the rest of the team still managed to pull out six victories.

... That Rex Ryan is a Defensive Genius

How quickly we forget that as long as Rex Ryan is the head coach of the Jets, they will field a smart, strong, vicious, proud and unpredictable defense that will terrorize opposing offenses. With huge new pick-ups this year in Sheldon Richardson, Dee Milliner, Antwan Barnes and Antonio Garay to go along with quality veterans like Muhammad Wilkerson, David Harris, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, and Antonio Cromartie, there is no doubt the Jets will once again field an elite defense.

My conclusion is the only logical one. This team is the same or better in every respect from last year. However terrible your memories of the 2012 Jets might be, that team went 6-10. Thus (with an easier schedule this year to boot), the absolute floor for the Jets is 6-10. A more reasonable prediction would be 8-8 or 9-7.

And this is all assuming Sanchez is still the quarterback. If rookie second-round pick Geno Smith can surprise everyone and take the starter job (and succeed), then the sky is the limit. But if we want to play it safe, we should not expect Smith as a rookie to necessarily be much better than Sanchez.

If you want my prediction, I expect that whoever plays quarterback (either one last year of Sanchez or a learning year for Smith), the Jets will go 8-8. There is room for that to fall as low as 6-10 if things go poorly but also room for the team to have good fortune and go as high as 11-5.

http://sports.yahoo....-150200906.html

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

he's way more optimistic then i am lol. also this years schedule on paper looks tougher then last year. that should be accounted for as well
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostChaos, on 10 July 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I would be cool if they win less games than last year as long as they quit embarrassing themselves, play hard each week, and make forward progress showing us loyal fans that we are on the way back up (hopefully for a good while)

#4 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

this team was good 3-4 years ago...FIRE IDZIK
Posted ImagePosted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic