NYJetsFan.com Forums: New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez: How Quickly We Forget - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:21 PM) Yeah this game means nothing...except to Stephen Hill (who fumbled lol) and 115
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:23 PM) Hill is a bum, hes pretty much never shown much football skill. The Jets fucked up big time taking him over Alshon Jeffery.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:29 PM) I'm still pissed off about that
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:43 PM) Its not that Im worried about the preseason game itself. i could care less about that. Its the fact of how bad we got destroyed. And some of the guys will be on the team and others on the fringe so getting destroyed like that doesnt fill me with confidence
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:44 PM) It would be one thing if it was just the second half or 4th quarter but this was the whole game. especially getting destroyed in the 1st quarter and at least part of the 2nd where a lot of the guys will be on the team
ROBJETS Icon : (28 August 2014 - 10:48 PM) 2nd and 3rd stringers making the team had something to prove and even our 2nd stringers got owned so yes Im very concerned. The first stringers need breaks and also if some of them get injured they need to step up. So no after this performance start to finish Im very concerned
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:39 AM) Meh...you're reading too much into it
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 06:40 AM) Even in seasons where the Jets blew, I haven't seen anyone refer to the preseason to complain. Ever.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:15 AM) fire izdik http://theredzone.or...rs/Default.aspx
Jetsman05 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 11:17 AM) I picture Rob and 115 as real life friends
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 04:01 PM) Holmes can still play, problem is that hes also a cancer. He wore out his welcome with the Jets
ganggreen2003 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 08:23 PM) did Hill get cut?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:00 PM) Haven't seen anything yet
MikeGangGree... Icon : (29 August 2014 - 09:06 PM) Whos ready for the season!!? WOOOOO
azjetfan Icon : (30 August 2014 - 11:54 AM) Hill has been cut
MikeGangGree... Icon : (30 August 2014 - 01:24 PM) Who wants to take bets he ends up in NE
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:18 PM) We'll I guess you guys are fools then in thinking im a fool for being concerned. Do any of you even know that in 2013 the Jets gave up the most passing yards in the franchise since 1986? And our secondary right now is worse than last year right now. To not be concerned is utterly foolish.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:19 PM) Unless our d-line has a monstrous year odds are the team will be eaten up in the pass. Every team will game plan to exploit the pass this year.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 02:56 PM) Patterson got cut
flood555 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:24 PM) Patterson must have been a huge cancer to get cut
flood555 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:26 PM) is there a midseason draft? we need a DB!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:58 PM) Our week 1 starting CBs will be Antonio Allen and Darrin Walls... wow
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 03:58 PM) interesting that Simms and Boyd were released
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 04:00 PM) No more McIntyre
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:20 PM) Pretty sure some of these cuts like Simms and McIntyre were made for removing some more cap space to try to find some decent corners and maybe another reliable wr. Possibly get some players cheap. I'd say the current 53 roster will change a good bit in the next week.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:23 PM) I just hope Geno doesn't get hurt or we are horse f*cked. Vick sure as hell can't stay healthy for a full season. I guess the FO could also be think of picking up an old vet cut as 3rd qb. Simms is ok but I'd never trust him to win a regular season game if he was put in.
ROBJETS Icon : (30 August 2014 - 05:25 PM) Anyway it's going yo be an interesting week.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 10:18 PM) I doubt it was about freeing up money, considering we are way under. Like more than $20 mil, way more than enough to find some vet minimum CB
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (30 August 2014 - 10:19 PM) it's more about the roster numbers. McIntyre was replaced by rookies. IK showed flashes when he played
bleedsgreen Icon : (Yesterday, 08:34 AM) McIntyre is a shock to me he was a solid backup and made some big plays
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:44 PM) 1 week till we are 1-0
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:44 PM) we need to annihilate the GAYders
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:28 PM) We claimed McFadden from the Browns. Knows the system should be able to contribute right away
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:29 PM) Watching the Browns game now. Playing all three CB spots. Looks OK. A little grabby although he has not been called for it
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 05:30 PM) Might be a little aggressive and get burnt over top
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:26 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:58 AM) ^^^ agreed
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 12:25 PM) all the admins on this page should be fired
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 12:25 PM) for being assclowns
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 04:17 PM) The Jets are fucked at CB, signing some bums now. We need Milliner to get healthy
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 04:20 PM) We have signed CB Phillip Adams
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:55 PM) The Gayders are playing Derek Carr against the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 05:55 PM) our D Line better put him in a WORLD OF PAIN
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 06:11 PM) Rookie QB in our house...Rex do your thing!!
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez: How Quickly We Forget

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Mark Sanchez: How Quickly We Forget

COMMENTARY | The New York Jets: Super Bowl contenders. It seems like an anachronism, a joke, a distant memory. Amazing that it was less than two years ago. The Jets, coming off of back-to-back trips to the AFC Championship appearances, one of the most complete teams in the NFL, were heading for shot number three at their first Super Bowl since 1969.

But that was almost two years ago. Now it is 2013, and writers and analysts across the country are competing to see who can have the most pessimistic prediction for the Jets. First it was 7-9 at best, then a repeat of 6-10, then 4-12. Now with the preseason looming, the real crazies are coming out, with predictions like 2-14 or 0-16.

There is nothing quite like mob mentality, and it feeds on itself. If the offseason lasted forever, then without a doubt after a few years of this, we as a nation would all agree that the Jets will go 0-16 and we would all be calling for Geno Smith's retirement before his first snap.

Yet the beauty is that the offseason does not last forever, and that with real games comes reality. And how quickly we forget reality.

... That the Jets Usually Win

How quickly we forget that the Jets win more than they lose. Pessimists often call for more of the same, citing "same old Jets." But if the Jets win the majority of their games, does "same old Jets" mean more wins than losses?

In the Rex Ryan era (since 2009) the Jets are 34-30 in the regular season and 4-2 in the playoffs. The year before Ryan was hired, the Jets went 9-7. If the Jets were to lose 13 games or more (as seems to be the common prediction), it would be the first time since 1996.

Thus, we should at least remember that predicting a 3-13 season is not predicting more of the same but is in fact predicting something radically new.

... That the Jets Were 6-10 Last Season

How quickly we forget that these Jets (that's right, even with Mark Sanchez) won six games last year and were in playoff contention until Week 15. Despite having no Darrelle Revis (injury), no Santonio Holmes (injury) and no Sione Pouha (injury), the team won six games.

Now when citing why the Jets should be worse this year, the common logic is the loss of Revis, the loss of Pouha and the inconsistency of Holmes. But wait. If the team won six games without those guys last year, why would not having them this year mean they should be worse? The Jets have lost nobody who contributed significantly last year (yes, I am counting LaRon Landry). So how could any rationalist expect the team to be worse than last year?

... That Mark Sanchez Does More Than Buttfumble

Anyone who has followed the Jets the past six months knows that it is somewhat obligatory to mention the word "buttfumble" in any Jets-related piece. I think it is at a point now where fans will actually show up to games expecting Sanchez to take a snap and run headfirst into the rear end of whichever offensive lineman he wants to embarrass that day.

How quickly we forget that Mark Sanchez has a winning record as a starter in both the regular season and playoffs. How quickly we forget that he has outplayed both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady head-to-head. Sure, that one play (which did not even matter because the Jets had lost that game anyway) was pretty silly. But acting like it will ever happen again is simply foolish.

And how quickly we forget that Sanchez was the starter last year and had his worst year. What we learned in 2012 is that no matter how awful Sanchez plays, the Jets can still win six games. Six games is their absolute floor, because with Sanchez having a terrible season (the worst of his career by far) the rest of the team still managed to pull out six victories.

... That Rex Ryan is a Defensive Genius

How quickly we forget that as long as Rex Ryan is the head coach of the Jets, they will field a smart, strong, vicious, proud and unpredictable defense that will terrorize opposing offenses. With huge new pick-ups this year in Sheldon Richardson, Dee Milliner, Antwan Barnes and Antonio Garay to go along with quality veterans like Muhammad Wilkerson, David Harris, Kenrick Ellis, Quinton Coples, and Antonio Cromartie, there is no doubt the Jets will once again field an elite defense.

My conclusion is the only logical one. This team is the same or better in every respect from last year. However terrible your memories of the 2012 Jets might be, that team went 6-10. Thus (with an easier schedule this year to boot), the absolute floor for the Jets is 6-10. A more reasonable prediction would be 8-8 or 9-7.

And this is all assuming Sanchez is still the quarterback. If rookie second-round pick Geno Smith can surprise everyone and take the starter job (and succeed), then the sky is the limit. But if we want to play it safe, we should not expect Smith as a rookie to necessarily be much better than Sanchez.

If you want my prediction, I expect that whoever plays quarterback (either one last year of Sanchez or a learning year for Smith), the Jets will go 8-8. There is room for that to fall as low as 6-10 if things go poorly but also room for the team to have good fortune and go as high as 11-5.

http://sports.yahoo....-150200906.html

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

he's way more optimistic then i am lol. also this years schedule on paper looks tougher then last year. that should be accounted for as well
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostChaos, on 10 July 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I would be cool if they win less games than last year as long as they quit embarrassing themselves, play hard each week, and make forward progress showing us loyal fans that we are on the way back up (hopefully for a good while)

#4 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

• 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

this team was good 3-4 years ago...FIRE IDZIK
Posted ImagePosted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic