NYJetsFan.com Forums: Marty Mornhinweg Praises Geno Smith - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

FANTASY FOOTBALL SIGN UP: http://nyjetsfan.com...ndpost&p=357345
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 07:06 PM) defense is playing like shit
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:00 PM) Geno still sucks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:08 PM) Petty 9/15 120 yards and a TD
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:27 PM) Sudfeld sucks 2 fumbles
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:28 PM) petty had then in the red zone going for the go ahead score
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:31 PM) OK we at the wash 42
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:32 PM) WOOOO TD!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:32 PM) f*** you Geno. Lets keep Petty
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:40 PM) Petty 15/24 230 yards and 2 TDs
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:40 PM) Geno 6/13 1Int
MikeGangGree... Icon : (19 August 2016 - 09:46 PM) BOOOO we lose
santana Icon : (20 August 2016 - 09:29 AM) I was at the game and I thought fitz looked like crapola
vjdbbq Icon : (21 August 2016 - 01:01 PM) You were looking at GENO !!!!!!!!!!!
santana Icon : (21 August 2016 - 02:24 PM) you have a crush on geno don't you
santana Icon : (21 August 2016 - 02:24 PM) it's ok
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2016 - 07:10 PM) WTF is taking so long to cut geno and milliner
ganggreen2003 Icon : (21 August 2016 - 07:10 PM) they both are bums and need to go away
Chaos Icon : (22 August 2016 - 08:29 AM) it makes zero sense to cut them.
Chaos Icon : (22 August 2016 - 08:30 AM) this isn't fantasy. cutting players has an impact on the cap.
Jetsfan115 Icon : (22 August 2016 - 10:20 AM) becuase we need them
Chaos Icon : (23 August 2016 - 11:25 AM) DRAFT UPDATE:

Date: Tuesday August 30, 2016
Time: 8:00 pm
Jetsfan115 Icon : (23 August 2016 - 02:20 PM) cap stuff http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38899
ROBJETS Icon : (24 August 2016 - 11:20 AM) All the Sanchez fans saying he finally has good receivers so he will play well will probably finally have your eyes opened. Looking like he will likely be cut from the Broncos by the end of preseason. He already lost his starting job to the backup and the rookie qb is playing decent too
ROBJETS Icon : (24 August 2016 - 11:21 AM) Sanchez isn't starting this week and may not play at all
ROBJETS Icon : (24 August 2016 - 11:22 AM) SOURCE: NFL LIVE yesterday
ROBJETS Icon : (24 August 2016 - 11:24 AM) 3 turnovers and one td in 2016 preseason
santana Icon : (25 August 2016 - 07:20 AM) he will probably start until week 4 lol hes their geno smith
santana Icon : (25 August 2016 - 07:20 AM) https://youtu.be/f7FZ04xFa2Q
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2016 - 06:37 PM) Browns trade former first-round pick Barkevious Mingo to Patriots
Jetsfan115 Icon : (25 August 2016 - 06:37 PM) for a conditional draft pick
Jetsfan115 Icon : (26 August 2016 - 05:43 PM) enunwa out for tomorrows game. should give the young WRs some good reps with the first team. CUrious as to who starts in the slot. Will give a good idea of who the jets consider at the top of the group
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 06:59 PM) Starting Offense is starting to worry me
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 07:00 PM) I know its only preseason but they haven't done anything at this in 3 games
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:19 PM) Harris got hurt is out for the rest of the game
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 08:53 PM) Well Milliner still sucks
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:07 PM) Hack is in
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:13 PM) Hack led a 80 yard TD drive!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:13 PM) 4/6 79 yards
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:42 PM) And a pick for Hack now
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:44 PM) Well if the giants take the lead It will be interesting to see hack in the 2 min drill
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:44 PM) and now the giants have the lead
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:45 PM) Hack has 2 mins and 3 timeouts so lets see what he can do
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:48 PM) Hack has missed 4 in a row
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:52 PM) 4th and 1
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 09:53 PM) Booooo we lose
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Marty Mornhinweg Praises Geno Smith

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Geno Smith may have experienced his fair share of growing pains during the offseason, but don't be surprised if the former West Virginia star wins the Jets quarterback competition against incumbent Mark Sanchez that begins in earnest on Friday in Cortland.
Smith admittedly has a large learning curve, but he won't have to master all the components of being an NFL quarterback to be the Jets' opening day starter.
"I will say this… I know this: He's way ahead of the pace of a normal rookie," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told The Daily News at the conclusion of the offseason program. "Guys that are quite skilled sometimes get away with some mechanical (flaws) in a game. They're just so good athletically that they get away with them for a period of time and then they get better and better and better and better."
"I think Geno's close," he added. "I don't think he's there yet. But he's close to being able to get into a game and function at a high level. So our whole challenge — and his challenge — is that first preseason game (against the Lions on Aug. 9). Now let's get to a point where you can function at a high level."
Quarterbacks coach David Lee delivered a blunt assessment of Smith's flaws during minicamp such as conveying plays in the huddle, mastering snap counts and recognizing "hot" reads, but he made it clear that the rookie could still get up to speed enough to be the Week 1 starter against the Buccaneers on Sept. 8.
Smith's biggest physical hurdle is sharpening his footwork on drop backs after spending much of his college career in shotgun. However, Mornhinweg has seen enough promising signs to give him hope.
"He's done a fabulous job," Mornhinweg said. "That is a heck of an offense that they have at West Virginia. However, we base much of our success of accuracy and timing and decision making and precision with the footwork… So, I know this: He's done an outstanding job (with) some of the things that he's done… He reverted back several times in practice: Both 7-on-7 and team (11 on 11). Just absolutely normal."

Rex Ryan suggested that the Jets could initially use Smith in a change-of-pace role similar to the 49ers' handling of Colin Kaepernick last season before he took over the starting job. However, Mornhinweg didn't want to speculate how/if Smith would be used if he doesn't win the quarterback competition.
"Those are too many ifs, ands and buts," Mornhinweg said. "I will say this: Geno is an excellent athlete. He's really progressed at a high level. He's done this fast and it's because he put in the hard work both on and off the field in preparation. He's done an outstanding job that way. I know he's got the mentality of if he can help the team in any way, he'll do it."
Mornhinweg admitted Smith's lack of exposure to a pistol or read-option offense in college wouldn't preclude the Jets from teaching him to do it now.
"Oh yeah. He does much of that really naturally," Mornhinweg said. "He's a natural football player. Football comes easy to him. So, yeah… Look, we've worked a little bit of these types of (read-option) things (in practice) to give our defense a look… But he'll do anything to help our football team. "

Mornhinweg said that he'll have "a big-picture plan that could be adjusted game to game and sometimes even within the game" during the preseason for Sanchez and Smith.
Smith has already said that he feels that he has "a great shot" to win the job, but can the Jets realistically expect him to be ready to be the starter for Week 1?
"We'll see. That's up to him," Mornhinweg said. "That's up to Geno. It's really that simple. He's been progressing at a very high rate."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz2Zz1TUKLN
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users