NYJetsFan.com Forums: Braylon Edwards Impressed With Geno Smith - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS SUPER BOWL THIS WEEKEND
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 03:25 PM) You know Rex will dial up some crazy packages for Brady. He probably has that D-line all riled up already.
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 03:44 PM) Riled up to get Fired up
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:19 PM) Connor Cook from MI State is projected to go in the middle of the first round.
Mr_Jet Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:48 PM) Cook is not ready for the NFL.
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:50 PM) Lol cook??
Mr_Jet Icon : (16 December 2014 - 04:54 PM) I think very highly of Connor Cook. But if he is projected to go in the first round of the 2015 draft, this is going to be a very weak draft.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 December 2014 - 05:02 PM) Connor Cook is going back to school..
santana Icon : (16 December 2014 - 05:52 PM) Lol school??
azjetfan Icon : (16 December 2014 - 06:31 PM) I don't know anything about him but he was projected by two different mock drafts to go to the Texans
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 December 2014 - 08:20 PM) Woody Johnson favorited a tweet about firing Idzik lol
jetfan4life12 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:15 AM) woody better fire that ass clown if he wants fans to attend games next season. He messed the whole thing up by hiring a GM without letting him choose the coach. He likely was told no by the top 20 candidates and stuck himself with is dick
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:18 AM) yup, I don't trust Idzik to make good use of our top draft pick or sign quality FAs. Or hire our next HC
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:18 AM) I want a new GM and HC
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 09:54 AM) Should I go Vincent Jackson or Jarvis Landry as my WR3?
Jetsfan115 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:13 AM) i'd go landry
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 11:40 AM) The opposite of what Mr Jet thinks about it.
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) Top Bantz by 05
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM) http://www.gfycat.co...ousAlaskanhusky
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 02:13 PM) 'Fire Idzik' banner returns for Jets
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM) jets fans are loony. shoutbox is clear evidence of that.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:28 PM) Nah Jets fans are all level headed individuals
Jetsman05 Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:40 PM) Zzzzz
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) i agree very level headed
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 04:44 PM) ILL KILL YOU ILL KILL ALL OF YOU I AAM THE TABLE!!!!
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:30 PM) @RapSheet: Sources: #Michigan has made another run at Jim Harbaugh after he initially rebuffed the school. U-M has made an offer of 6 years, $48M. Wow.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) @AdamSchefter: Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.
Chaos Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:33 PM) LOL
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:34 PM) cutler to jets confirmed!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM) Cutler?? WOOOOOO
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:39 PM) 49ers gotta whip out that check book
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 06:40 PM) jets resign rex for 2 more years and get cutler
santana Icon : (17 December 2014 - 07:26 PM) http://cdn.ksk.uprox...ing-650x487.png
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:19 PM) holy shit thrilling match up tonight
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:13 PM) Does it matter who wins tonight? Draft pick wise for the Jets?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:16 PM) Probably not. We probably want to draft above the Titans though if that is possible, they are a team that could use a QB. The Jaguars just drafted Blake Bortles, doubt they go first round QB 2 years in a row
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:29 PM) so titans win is best win
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) DRAFT WINSTON
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:52 PM) FIRE IDZIK
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:05 PM) I'm leaning towards wanting to draft Cooper or oline with the first pick. have a good line and or relceiver core and try and sign Bradford or trade for Cutler to play QB. And have Geno as back up for us.
2JBallar01 Icon : (Yesterday, 07:06 PM) Not sure if Winston can be a franchise QB. Even Mariota has question marks.
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:25 PM) That is why we need to draft Cooper at WR and then later in the draft go and get Petty
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:44 PM) clipboard jesus lead the way
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 09:48 PM) I miss leon
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:35 PM) If the Jets would have lost last week since the Jags won the Jets would have the 2 seed right now and not stuck at the 6 seed
ROBJETS Icon : (Yesterday, 11:36 PM) Oh well
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Braylon Edwards Impressed With Geno Smith

#1 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards has a message for teammate Mark Sanchez: Watch out, this Geno Smith kid is good.

Edwards has been around Smith for only a couple of days, but he said Friday that the rookie has a serious approach that reminds him of a former Seattle Seahawks teammate -- Russell Wilson. A lofty comparison, to be sure.
"It's going to be a battle," Edwards said of the Jets' quarterback competition. "Mark can't make mistakes like he has in the past. Things have to be legit with Mark for him to be the starter because he has a legit guy knocking at the back door."

The showdown began for real Friday, the first day of practice.

Before a relatively small crowd at SUNY Cortland, both quarterbacks got off to a nice start, neither committing a turnover and Smith showing off a big arm.

Edwards was impressed. He has been around several rookie quarterbacks in his 10 seasons, including Sanchez (2009) and the San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick (2011), and he said Smith has Wilson-like intangibles.

"Russell was a maniac when it came to studying film, breaking down film and asking questions," Edwards said. "Russell was a beast at that. That's what I see potentially in Geno, how he comes in the huddle, how he asks questions in meetings. He's right there with Mark."

Smith has a ways to go, especially with his grasp of Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast system. At West Virginia, Smith was used almost exclusively in shotgun, so this is a big transition. There were a couple of hiccups in practice.
"He didn't have the greatest practice -- don't get me wrong -- but you can tell with his attitude he's not just happy to be in the NFL. He's not happy to be backing up Mark Sanchez," Edwards said. "He's here to start. You can tell with his leadership."

Smith was pleased with his Day 1 performance.

"It felt pretty good. Things went smoothly," he said.

He joked that he's never at a loss for confidence. On Thursday, the second-round pick said his goal is to become one of the best quarterbacks in history.

The Jets would be happy if he ends up being the best quarterback in Cortland. After four seasons of Sanchez, who committed a league-high 52 turnovers in 2011 and 2012, the organization wouldn't mind a fresh start -- if Smith is up to it.

Coach Rex Ryan, whose job could be riding on the decision, raved about Smith's arm strength.

"He can throw it with anybody -- maybe not anybody," Ryan said. "I don't know if he can throw it with [Jay] Cutler or if he can throw it with the kid in Detroit [Matthew Stafford], but I know one thing: He can throw it. He's got a really live arm. There's no doubt."

Smith worked with the backups, but he'll get a chance to lead the starting offense, as per the quarterback rotation. Ryan declined to say when he expects to name a starter, but it figures to be after two preseason games.

Sanchez has been outspoken in his belief that he'll win the job, and he came away from Friday feeling no different.

"I thought I did well," he said. "I felt sharp, I felt accurate, and I felt good with my checks."

Sanchez said the notion of losing to Smith hasn't crossed his mind.

"I don't even think like that," he said. "I don't think about not winning the job. That's just the way I am. I'm pretty optimistic."

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users