NYJetsFan.com Forums: Has Geno Smith Already Out Done Sanchez? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:51 AM) According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:52 AM) Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:05 AM) Mehta is an idiot
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:25 AM) If colt McCoy lights it up do the jets make a move?
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:27 AM) I don't even care what they do for a while
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:28 AM) The team is a catastrophe
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:29 AM) I didn't see the game
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:29 AM) I remember the first bills game though I'm guessing it was like that with more sleeping in the end zone
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:32 AM) I'm with 0099...I hope they keep getting destroyed
Chaos Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:33 AM) it's a very Jets-esque move to sign McCoy if he does well
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 11:53 AM) I think they sign RGIII, Cutler, or Bradford
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 12:10 PM) why not all three
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 12:11 PM) Knowing this team, I wouldn't put that past them
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:07 PM) RAUL FOR QB
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM) the only real choice
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:10 PM) almost uefa time
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:11 PM) RAUL>SMITHSIAH, JUST ACCEPT IT
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 02:22 PM) FIRE IZDICK
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:07 PM) Rocking the atletico kit today 4-0 THE RAUL INFLUENCE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:15 PM) Haha you should make that into some kind of logo and put it in your sig
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:15 PM) Sig***
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:19 PM) TEH RAUL INFLUENCE
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:29 PM) LUDOGRETS
santana Icon : (26 November 2014 - 04:34 PM) LUDOGORETS
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) TEH IZDIK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) SUCK
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) FOR
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) THE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 November 2014 - 08:29 PM) DUCK
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 November 2014 - 09:32 PM) One of these days one of you are going to type it too fast and say "Suck the Duck".
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 09:41 PM) Hahaha
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (26 November 2014 - 10:45 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 02:04 AM) TEH POINT
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 11:14 AM) happy thanksgiving everyone!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:53 PM) I hope Dirty Sanchez gets beat by the Cowgirls even though I would prefer to see a tie so neither team wins
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:00 PM) Look at what a great system can do for a QB, Sanchez looks like a different QB with the Eagles.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:00 PM) Scanning the field and making quick decisions, I like how Chip has Sanchez throwing on the run which he was always great at.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:01 PM) I really hope we finally bring in a good offensive minded coach.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:45 PM) I really can't wait for this season to be done and over with
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:14 PM) SUCK THE DUCK!!!!
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:14 PM) WOOOOOOOOOO
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 02:14 PM) Happy Mr_Jet?
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:18 PM) Ray Rice has been reinstated!
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:19 PM) Sign him!
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:28 PM) Can he pass block?
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Has Geno Smith Already Out Done Sanchez? Geno smith cleared for practice

#1 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...ices-sore-ankle

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- With his offensive coordinator barking, "Don't limp, don't limp," a gimpy Geno Smith took the majority of the practice reps Sunday despite an ankle injury -- perhaps an indication of how much the New York Jets want him to replace Mark Sanchez.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Paul Sancya
Geno Smith took the majority of the practice reps Sunday despite a sprained ankle suffered against Detroit Friday night.
The rookie quarterback, who suffered a mild ankle sprain in the preseason opener Friday night, was cleared for practice after X-rays and an MRI exam. Smith limped noticeably at times, and his drop-backs were slower than usual, but he was determined to practice. And he got no argument from the coaches.

"Marty [Mornhinweg] told me about Brett Favre and how he played through pretty much every single injury," said Smith, referring to the Jets' coordinator, a former Green Bay Packers assistant. "I try to be the same way."

Smith acknowledged that he felt "slower," admitting his ankle was sore and less than 100 percent. But the Jets wanted to maintain their practice rotation as they move toward the second preseason game, Saturday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Coach Rex Ryan was non-committal about this week's starter. Sanchez started the opener, with many assuming it would be Smith in the second game. After all, it's a so-called open competition. But the coach offered a cryptic response when asked to explain his thought process.

"There could be some factors that change things," Ryan said. "I'm not going to get into the specifics, but obviously there could be some factors that change the original thought. We'll see as we get closer."

One of those factors is Smith's health. If he labors throughout the week, it could force Ryan to go again with Sanchez, which probably would effectively end the competition.

Ryan said he has no plans to name the opening-day starter before Saturday night. Chances are, he'll wait until next week. It seemed curious as to why the Jets simply didn't give Smith an extra day to rest his sore ankle. Ryan defended the decision, saying the medical staff felt there were no issues.

"When our trainers are like, 'Hey, look, he's a go' -- that's it, he's going to be out there," Ryan said. "He was cleared to practice. We'll see what he looks like [Monday]. Maybe it's different than what it looked like today, I'm not sure."

Every day of practice is critical for Smith, trying to learn an offensive system dramatically different than his college offense. He also said it was important to practice to show his new teammates he can play hurt.

"You can't miss a day of practice," he said. "I pride myself on being out there at all times, and one little ankle injury wasn't going to stop me from practicing with my teammates."

Smith began to lose ground to Sanchez last week in practice, but Sanchez had an interception returned for a touchdown in the opener -- a horrible throw on a screen pass that exasperated members of the organization. It was reminiscent of 2012, when Sanchez committed 26 turnovers.

"I said, 'Oh, shoot,'" said Ryan, deadpanning, "I said something with an S."

"He clearly made a mistake on the interception. It was a huge error. You've got to get rid of that ball," added Ryan, who wanted Sanchez to throw it away instead of trying to throw it to a fullback -- Tommy Bohanon -- who was on his knees after getting knocked down.

Sanchez almost threw another interception on his second series before rallying the offense to an 80-yard touchdown drive, hitting Jeff Cumberland for a 26-yard score. Ryan commended Sanchez on his ability to rebound, saying he liked his accuracy on the touchdown drive. After the game, Sanchez praised rookie defensive end Ziggy Ansah for making a terrific play on the interception. On Sunday, he finally admitted it was his mistake.

"If it's a dead play, it's a dead play -- just let it go and dirt it," said Sanchez, who went 10-for-13 for 125 yards.

It was a relatively nondescript performance for Smith (6-for-7, 47 yards), but he received a positive review from Ryan. The only hint of criticism was that he needs to keep two hands on the ball while moving in the pocket.

"He did some good things," Ryan said. "He showed poise. I thought he looked pretty good. He played well."

Despite the limp, Smith was sharp in practice -- well, except for one play, a red-zone interception. He called it "a pretty good day of practice."

Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#2 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Sanchez pretty much solidified himself as the starter with that 3rd drive.

#3 User is offline   RetireChrebet Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, mma, yanks, basketball

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Practice? All I saw was 3 stalled drives and a twisted ankle. Sanchez wins the job hands down.

#4 User is offline   LeonhardSkynyrd36 Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Progression

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

retirechrebet, you should retire instead.

How can you claim he has won a job based on his performance, classic Sanchez!

He cant even throw a successful screen pass, and his touchdown was to a wide wide wide wide wide open jeff cumberland, nothing about that stood out to me at all.

You have seen Geno throw the ball 7 times.

The ceiling for Sanchez has already arrived, Geno's potential extends far beyond that. While it is only potential, I think most Jet fans would welcome potential.
ColesReturns87

#5 User is offline   Mr_Jet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

THE JETS SCORED A PRE-SEASON TOUCHDOWN!!!! That's what is important.

It was just one pre-season game and Sanchez has 4 years of NFL experience on Geno Smith. He is supposed to be better than Geno Smith right now. I'd be more afraid for the Jets' future if he wasn't better than Smith right now. But I'll wait until after the third pre-season game before I start getting happy about Sanchez. I'm more concerned about the running attack than I am about the QB battle anyway.
New York Jets
Super Bowl III Champions

Los Angeles Lakers
16-times NBA World Champions

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 June 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're the scumbag that thinks everyone should kiss the as$es of a bunch of criminals but I'm a dumbass. Yeah okay douchebag. Go give some illegal wetback or Revis another blowjob. But then again.....don't you live in an entirely different country but yet think you can tell us how to live? Go fvck yourself little boy. You're likely still living with mommy & daddy. Pu$$y.

View Postazjetfan, on 02 July 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

There are a few things I have realized about Mr. Jet over a few topics.

1) He is a racist. By constantly using race as a battling tool.
2) He is an extreme Liberal. If you are on either extreme you are probabaly more wrong than right.
3) He is one of those people who will never admit fault, error or defeat.
4)His life sucks and he takes it out on people who don't share in his views.

#6 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

Only way to satisfy the fan base is if sanchez or geno have success running the new offense. We will know that by week 2. As it stands no one should be happy that sanchez is potentially going to the starter for the jets.

So whats better 2-14 with geno smith or 8-8 with sanchez
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#7 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Sanchez will start and here's why: the offense is being run by Marty Mo, that doesn't just include the gameplan, but personnel too. Rex is basically the "HC in charge of defense". Marty is his counterpart on offense. Geno comes from a spread offense and the NFL game is moving too fast for him at this point, evidenced by the amount of "sacks" on him in camp. Sanchez on the other hand, looks to be far more polished than in the past, judging this based on his footwork which for once looked like a real NFL QB and not someone dancing salsa in the pocket. Also, this is the first time in 5 seasons that Sanchez has zero turnover at the WR position, which is huge because for once we didn't go out and get a shitty over the hill vet at the expense of a young guy making strides. Finally, and this is most important, Marty Mo has never went into a season with a rookie QB. So much of the WC offense he runs is predicated on timing and quick decision making that having a rookie in there wouldn't work. I know Sanchez isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to reading defenses, but he's been baptized by fire at this point to know enough to not do dumb shit.

#8 User is offline   chocomag Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 13 August 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Sanchez will start and here's why: the offense is being run by Marty Mo, that doesn't just include the gameplan, but personnel too. Rex is basically the "HC in charge of defense". Marty is his counterpart on offense. Geno comes from a spread offense and the NFL game is moving too fast for him at this point, evidenced by the amount of "sacks" on him in camp. Sanchez on the other hand, looks to be far more polished than in the past, judging this based on his footwork which for once looked like a real NFL QB and not someone dancing salsa in the pocket. Also, this is the first time in 5 seasons that Sanchez has zero turnover at the WR position, which is huge because for once we didn't go out and get a shitty over the hill vet at the expense of a young guy making strides. Finally, and this is most important, Marty Mo has never went into a season with a rookie QB. So much of the WC offense he runs is predicated on timing and quick decision making that having a rookie in there wouldn't work. I know Sanchez isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to reading defenses, but he's been baptized by fire at this point to know enough to not do dumb shit.

I am amazed at all of you that think Sanchez should earn the starting spot by beating out Smith in practice. I watch lots of sports shows and the one thing that is consistent among the reporters when talking about the Jets is that they all finish with "But it's the Jets" as if that explains all of the illogical moves they make. And the sad thing is they continue to reinforce those sentiments.

Mark Sanchez is a practice player. His decision making after 4 years is atrocious - as evidenced by the INT he threw on the first series against the Lions - not unusual for him. Sure, he threw a TD to a receiver that was open by 10 yards. He didn't have to check off - he was his primary target.

Nobody believes Sanchez will be here next year with that big salary number and those low percentages and TD to INT ratios - nobody except maybe Rex. So in essence we have a lame duck QB and a rookie we need to assess. We have a team that does not figure to make the playoffs but even if they do does not have the horses to go deep into them.

When Dallas or Indy were in those situations with Aikman and Manning they played them and let them experience the speed of the game firsthand. Likewise with Luck, RG3, Wilson, Ryan, etc. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't record wise but it always works to get them the experience they need.

The Jets as sure as I am alive will elect to start Sanchez. Why? Because they are the Jets. They should start Smith. Even watching their passes, it is clear Smith has the superior arm and athleticism. So Sanchez has to rely on what to keep the job. Whatever it is I don't see it and haven't for quite awhile. What a shame

#9 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postchocomag, on 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Mark Sanchez is a practice player.

I like how people start to pull dumb shit out of thin air to support their feewings. Sanchez is a practice player? Really? How about all those 4 years of "the defense won the scrimmage"? How come every year Sanchez was dominated by our defense, now that he's throwing TDs he's a practice player? GTFOH

His decision making after 4 years is atrocious - as evidenced by the INT he threw on the first series against the Lions - not unusual for him. Sure, he threw a TD to a receiver that was open by 10 yards. He didn't have to check off - he was his primary target.

Every TD he throws is easy. Every INT he throws is catastrophic. Turnovers happen, that's bottom line. He needs to throw less INTs and not fumble. The knock against him has always been his completion percentage. So far from the small sample size this season, he's doing much better. I know that doesn't matter because since he threw the INT, he clearly should be shipped out of town.

So in essence we have a lame duck QB and a rookie we need to assess.

So you would rather start a rookie who isn't ready, didn't come from a pro offense without the benefit of having an adjustment period... for what? To see what we have? We know what we have. We have a rookie that needs time to develop. We're paying Sanchez who is in his 5th year and who, so far, has proven to be the best QB on the roster... why wouldn't we play him?

When Dallas or Indy were in those situations with Aikman and Manning they played them and let them experience the speed of the game firsthand. Likewise with Luck, RG3, Wilson, Ryan, etc. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't record wise but it always works to get them the experience they need.

No you idiot. Aikman, Peyton, Luck and RG3 were all Top 5 picks. They weren't guys who slipped in the draft and fell out of the 1st round completely! They were as polished a product as you can expect to get out of college. Manning and Luck were the best QBs in their classes a year BEFORE they even came out! How about Eli, Rodgers or any of the dozens of QBs that came into the league, sat and learned and ended up surpassing expectations? Why aren't you mentioning them? Because they don't serve your shitty agenda of trying to provoke an argument. Geno Smith is nowhere near the level of prospect that Aikman, Peyton, Luck and RG3 were coming out of school. There's a reason he fell in the draft.

Wilson was drafted as a project and absolutely DESTROYED Flynn in practice. You know how Geno just threw 4 INTS to the SCOUT DEFENSE in practice today? Wilson didn't do that. Wilson ran Flynn off the muthafucking field! That's what Geno needed to do to win the job, but he didn't

The Jets as sure as I am alive will elect to start Sanchez. Why? Because they are the Jets. They should start Smith. Even watching their passes, it is clear Smith has the superior arm and athleticism.

I think JaMarcus Russell has more arm and athleticism than any QB I've seen. Just to further drive home the point that you have zero clue.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users