NYJetsFan.com Forums: Sanchez Injury - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets 0-2 vs bills this year. Does Rex Ryan survive the year?
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:16 PM) 27 and the all time leading goal scorer in european cup and la liga history... crazy
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:17 PM) raul ny cosmos hype is real!!... crazy
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:18 PM) I want nasri to bite neuer
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:28 PM) Agueroooooooo
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:28 PM) Xabi at faulttttt
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:30 PM) SPEEEEED
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:33 PM) KUUUUUNNNNN
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:33 PM) I like zabaleta a lot but hes such a dope haha
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:33 PM) what a f***ing player
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) unbelievable
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) Yeah
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:34 PM) its decided city should be renamed to Aguero and friends
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) haha yeah zaba looks like a player who should of played 15 years ago when tackles like that were deemed good
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) jeez
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:35 PM) mistakes by boateng and xabi
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) bayern exhausted from working with 10 men
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) aguero the long con
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) aguero isnt exhausted though
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) OP as fuck
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Pep will be fuming
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) no more fun practices for bayern
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) carrying team mates around and skipping
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:38 PM) all eyes on tomorrow. Liverpool don't get a result and Rodgers seat is on fire
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) what
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:39 PM) I thought I just read that liverpool is sticking with him
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:41 PM) they will, atleast until january... but if we do not get a result tomorrow, it'll go down hill even faster
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:41 PM) he won't survive the season if he doesnt figure it out
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:42 PM) moyes to liverpool confirmed!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) bayern two bad passes one bad tackle today punished by aguero
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:43 PM) otherwise city looked rather crapola
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 04:47 PM) moyesy coaching in your favorite league now
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:50 PM) yeah i saw that he was at real sociedad
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:51 PM) http://gfycat.com/MilkyMajesticDingo
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) also very casual
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:52 PM) boca represent
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) http://gfycat.com/Of...ingAmazonparrot
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:13 PM) that is the most raul goal i have ever seen
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 06:29 PM) What's our wish list for HC next year?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:37 PM) BILL LAZOR
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 07:41 PM) Why?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 08:09 PM) he worked with chip kelly and vick on the eagles. and has a cool name
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 08:41 PM) Eh
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Yesterday, 10:37 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 10:50 PM) The JETS really sucked a fat one last night
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 11:34 PM) Man the JETS are a 3 ring circus or American Horror Story: FREAK SHOW!!!!
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Sanchez Injury

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Now that I've had time to look back at the injury, I'm going to say that it wasn't entirely Rex's fault. We've all wanted a QB competition. There is no set #1 yet, so there is no reason Sanchez shouldn't play with the #2 team. If Sanchez was the appointed starter this move would have been terrible, but with the circumstances it can be filed off as acceptable.

#2 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostChaos, on 25 August 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Now that I've had time to look back at the injury, I'm going to say that it wasn't entirely Rex's fault. We've all wanted a QB competition. There is no set #1 yet, so there is no reason Sanchez shouldn't play with the #2 team. If Sanchez was the appointed starter this move would have been terrible, but with the circumstances it can be filed off as acceptable.

It should have been obvious at the point Mark entered the game that Smith is not ready to be our #1 QB. I am not a big Sanchez supporter but he has been mishandled by the team for 2 plus years (different receivers every year, no real competition, bad oline, and 3 OC's in 3 years) but he was clearly outplaying the competition this preseason and by halftime last night, he had the job won IMO. I just hope the injury isnt as bad as it certainly looked. Ryan just had to beat the giants so he puts our starter in with linemen who likely won't make the team protecting him. When he was sacked on the first play, that should have been enough to get him out of the game. This is all on our big mouth coach!

#3 User is offline   canuckfan Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, Hockey, Baseball, Military History

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostChaos, on 25 August 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I think this was entirely caused by Rex's impulsiveness; he risked far too much to gain far too little. You could tell the Giants D line we teeing off on Sanchez. When he got hurt he was already wrapped up by 2 other guys and you could tell the 3rd guy was targetting his throwing shoulder, and it was a late hit to boot. If it had happened that way to Brady, Goodell would have launched a full scale enquiry and half a dozen rule changes.

IMO, take your lumps and develop Smith & Simms and give McElroy a chance to run the offence. The season is going to be a migraine; if the D can step up and the O plod along then it might not hurt too much.

And Folk's a bum; Cundiff not much of an improvement though. We're in a tough spot.

#4 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Silly to even try to defend Rex's actions.

#5 User is offline   ST2543 Icon

• Free Agent
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Rex is a horrible coach, a great d-coordinator. We are once again the jokes of the nfl. He should have been fired along with Tannebaum except Woody is too damn cheap. We are looking at about three wins this year which will probably be one too many for the first overall pick which is always our luck which is we have none. Thank god for fantasy football.

#6 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

It's a competition. It's not like Rex marched out Brady or Manning. Sanchez hasn't been consistent this offseason and 24 hours ago people were calling for Geno to start. If the team isn't comfortable with Sanchez, they have the right to get him in and let him get more reps in the offense. With the limit practices this off season, teams have been playing their starters longer during the games. I'm more surprised by Cimini's tweet saying Sanchez didn't want to go in with the second string players. What makes him think he should just be handed the reins again?

#7 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

No one said anything when Geno played with the backups. Its a competition, to not play sanchez would indicate that its not.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

I know a lot of you are pissed. For one thing we all know Rex has always had a temper. Big deal. Who cares how he treated the media. He isnt the first coach to ream the media and get mad at them. Many coaches have done that so as far that goes you guys are making something out of nothing.

Next I see nothing wrong with Mark being out with the #2`s. Its a qb competition and because there is no clear cut starter you cant expect the rest of the starters to play the whole game against rookies and players who wouldnt make the team. For instance these guys are trying to earn a roster spot so any of our starters could have been injured if they played against players that probably wont make the other team.

And this has nothing to do with my dislike of Sanchez. I want him gone but I didn't want to see him injured.

Basically you guys need to think of this logically. Sanchez was green as hell his first two seasons and if the running game, oline, and defense wouldn't have been around the top ranking in the league Mark would have been just as bad if not worse.

I hate the injury but Geno needs to be starting. Yes he threw a lot of interceptions but he was able to drive the team down the field better than Mark ever has. Lets not forget that Mark turns the ball over a lot too and he has played 4 years.

Geno may have turned the ball over a lot but it was easy to see he has way less flaws than Sanchez. Just looking at his turnovers is like looking at the game with blinders on.I have never just factored in Marks turnovers alone.Its everything combined than Ive looked at. Looking at Marks stats he has been near or at the bottom of the league in multiple categories even if you dont factor in the turnovers.

Geno has very good pocket presence which Mark has never had.
Geno is fairly accurate(far more accurate than Mark has ever been).
Geno is already far closer to actual game speed than Mark is now after 4 years.
Geno isn't throwing the ball late and putting his receivers in bad positions like Mark often does.
Geno doesn't have tunnel vision and doesn't just look at one receiver like Mark does more often than not.
Geno actually sees the defenders rushing him and doesn't take unnecessary sacks like Mark does because many times Mark cant even read the pre-snap defense correctly and many times gets sacked by players he never even sees.

The main problem I'm seeing with Geno is he isn't yet reading the post snap defense down the field correctly or is misjudging the speed of the defenders when he makes the throws. Most of his int`s were close to the receivers and not totally inaccurate.

Basically to sum things up I see far more upside already with Geno than Sanchez even after 4 years. Yes he is green as hell and may or may not be the Jets future but Id rather live and die with someone who has possible potential than stick with a qb that will never get better and remain one of the worst starting qb`s in the league every year.

Also if you want to think of it another way.......How many HOF qb`s had very sh*tty first years??? The answer is many.

So yes. No matter what the Jets do with Geno Id rather take my chances with him because I see far more potential with him already. I mean hell if Sanchez played the Jets would likely win 6-8 games max so whats the difference? Also Sanchez sure as hell isn't going to groom Geno into a top level qb. The best thing for us with Geno is to groom him with playing time. I hate to see Sanchez hurt even though I want him gone but this could be the best thing for Geno because now the job is his to grow into.

#9 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

THE ANSWER IS MANY.

#10 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 25 August 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

I know a lot of you are pissed. For one thing we all know Rex has always had a temper. Big deal. Who cares how he treated the media. He isnt the first coach to ream the media and get mad at them. Many coaches have done that so as far that goes you guys are making something out of nothing.

The media was edging him on with the same questions over and over again.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

Anyone defending Rex is out of their damn mind. It was clear after the 2nd INT that Geno is no where near ready to start a regular season game.

Sanchez was the Week 1 starter by default, and to risk his health by playing him with practice squad fodder is sheer stupidity and mismanagement. Preach competition all you want, but the competition was over at halftime. And if that's not enough for you, what productive analysis are you really going to get from Sanchez playing against guys who will be working at Burger King in two weeks? That's Simms/McElroy time.

It was the stupidest decision of Rex's tenure here. Easily.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach

#12 User is offline   jetfan4life12 Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

It was the stupidest decision of Rex's tenure here. Easily.

That's saying a lot since he has done many things most NFL coaches wouldn't think of doing. You're right though, Mark should be pissed at the clear stupidity of putting him in there with no protection.

#13 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with putting Sanchez into that situation.

It's obvious now that Geno is very far from being ready. Sanchez last played in the 2nd Q of Game 2. Starters do not play the 4th preseason game. If Sanchez doesn't come in at that point in Game 3, he'd have a month off before facing the Bucs. Sanchez is far from a polished product and needs every bit of work he can get.

Yes it's a shame he got hurt, but by that token, we lost Pennington in the preseason and he was in the game with the ones. Who cares? If you're going to criticize a coach for putting his QB in the position to get hurt, you should advocate not playing a QB in the preseason at all since the games don't matter and the risk outweights the rewards.

#14 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 August 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

It's obvious now that Geno is very far from being ready. Sanchez last played in the 2nd Q of Game 2. Starters do not play the 4th preseason game. If Sanchez doesn't come in at that point in Game 3, he'd have a month off before facing the Bucs. Sanchez is far from a polished product and needs every bit of work he can get.

Yes it's a shame he got hurt, but by that token, we lost Pennington in the preseason and he was in the game with the ones. Who cares? If you're going to criticize a coach for putting his QB in the position to get hurt, you should advocate not playing a QB in the preseason at all since the games don't matter and the risk outweights the rewards.

Yeah but Rex is a stupid poopy head stop defending his actions

I agree with what you are saying. Not having a qb perform at a high level is forcing the jets to just throw shit out there to see what sticks. Geno needs more development but more importantly the run game needs to lead the offense. Let's face Sanchez the more seasoned qb will be better prepared to run this offense. The issue is he's still very average and his turnovers make him look like a bum. The fans will just have to suffer with Sanchez at qb till geno is nfl ready. If the jets had a successfull run game then they could use that as a crutch to force who ever into qb but that's not the case right now.
Nyjetsfan.com Jets Fan Forum and Chat

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Why are we assuming it was Rex's decision? I don't know maybe it was, but Idzik may have made that call (fire Idzik). He has said he will have a heavy hand in who is the starter. I know Rex will take the heat for the team but what happened behind closed doors?
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postsantana, on 26 August 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Yeah but Rex is a stupid poopy head stop defending his actions

I agree with what you are saying. Not having a qb perform at a high level is forcing the jets to just throw shit out there to see what sticks. Geno needs more development but more importantly the run game needs to lead the offense. Let's face Sanchez the more seasoned qb will be better prepared to run this offense. The issue is he's still very average and his turnovers make him look like a bum. The fans will just have to suffer with Sanchez at qb till geno is nfl ready. If the jets had a successfull run game then they could use that as a crutch to force who ever into qb but that's not the case right now.

I agree as well. Geno has not performed well enough in his limited playing time to get the start. Sanchez should get teh nod. Also I think Sims has earned the 3rd spot, outplaying McElroy and even Geno in his limited playing time.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostSecondHandJets, on 26 August 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Then let him get a series or two in Thursday's game with some guys who actually have a chance at blocking defenders. Not in the 4th quarter with practice squad linemen.

You say starters don't play the 4th preseason game. Clearly the Jets don't prescribe to conventional wisdom, as they've yet to name a starter and are allowing the competition to go into the 4th game. So there's no reason not to have held Sanchez back and let him get a series or two vs. Philly.

It was beyond stupid.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"

#18 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Plenty of past rookie QBs struggled in the preseason and then went onto have good seasons. Yeah he made some bad passes, but that doesn't mean the competition is over and it doesn't look like Rex is making that decision anyways.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 26 August 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Plenty of past rookie QBs struggled in the preseason and then went onto have good seasons. Yeah he made some bad passes, but that doesn't mean the competition is over and it doesn't look like Rex is making that decision anyways.

You said it yourself in the shoutbox during the game... it's clear Geno isn't ready to start and Mark was the Week 1 QB at that point.

#20 User is offline   SecondHandJets Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postsexyrexy, on 26 August 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Then let him get a series or two in Thursday's game with some guys who actually have a chance at blocking defenders. Not in the 4th quarter with practice squad linemen.

I heard this a lot... oh Sanchez was in there with 3rd stringers! Oh no! You acting like they were playing the 85 Bears on the other side. They were 3rd stringers against 3rd stringers. Sanchez didn't get hit hard because there was a talent disparity. Any player can get injured on any play. The reason you don't play your starters in the 4th game is exactly this, give him one or two series and he gets hit in the head and there isn't enough time to recover in time for the Bucs. Then its Rex's fault all over again.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users