NYJetsFan.com Forums: More Playoff Teams? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets start voluntary offseason programs today
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:48 PM) whatever that means
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 03:59 PM) Some talk that Dennard might slide to round 2 now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby and Fuller are rising.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) Roby absolute physical freak but really inconsistent as a player
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) loved him going into school but never grew into the player i thought he would become
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) I don't want Roby, afraid we take him
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) f***ing draft should be this week, not 2 weeks from now
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) I rather go get a CB like Phillip Gaines in round 3.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:02 PM) 1-Odell Beckham Jr WR, 2-Jace Amaro TE, 3-Phillip Gaines CB.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:04 PM) Where is Marcus Roberson being projected
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:05 PM) round 2 I think
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:06 PM) he'll be a solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:18 PM) solid pro
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 04:19 PM) boston. strong.
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) you're a clown
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:14 PM) just for the record
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) FIRE RAUL
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) agreed
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM) EJ > Raul
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) lmao
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM) I wouldn't go that far
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) true
Jetsman05 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) but its closer by the day
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:13 PM) LET'S GO RANGERS!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Boo rangers
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) boo the Knicks
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Let's go wizards!
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:52 PM) SANTANA DESERVES BETTER
santana Icon : (22 April 2014 - 08:56 PM) Just landed in Reagan jumping on the wizards bandwagon taxi right out the gate
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:47 PM) Tanaka looks good so far
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 03:45 PM) The title race is REAL
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:36 PM) Teh Raptors!!!!!!!!!!
canuckfan Icon : (Yesterday, 04:37 PM) Let's go Habs!
Jetsman05 Icon : (Today, 05:18 AM) Pineda looks good so far
santana Icon : (Today, 07:18 AM) Pineda solid pro
santana Icon : (Today, 07:19 AM) Pineda went Boston strong on Boston
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:57 AM) He has, except he is stupid for putting the shit on his neck. He has to hide that better.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) @Bischoff_Scott: Per a source, the #Lions are having discussions about moving #Suh before the draft to move up as high as possible in the first round.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 09:14 AM) now that would be a fairly big move
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:46 AM) If they trade Suh to get Watkins, I would laugh. That doesn't really make their team better, they already have a high yardage passing attack
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:47 AM) They have the best WR in football and they signed Tate who will be a excellent #2 to Johnson
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 09:53 AM) too many smokes screens. f*** the extra 2 weeks of this shit, the draft should be tonight!
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 01:04 PM) The media is so dumb, Jon Gieger Revis' best friend tweets a pic from the Jets website and says it's revis, and all of the media goes along with it making fun of the Jets when it was really Jeremy Kerleyr.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 08:29 PM) uh oh - "Bradley Roby charged with operating a vehicle under the influence"
MikeGangGree... Icon : (Today, 10:56 PM) THE YANKEES
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

More Playoff Teams?

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 2,953
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Quote

@ESPNNFL - THIS JUST IN: The NFL is mulling the possibility of expanding to 14 playoff teams and cutting preseason to 3 games. (via @MortReport)


So losing/.500 record = playoffs? :banghead:
0

#2 User is online   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

  • THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,621
  • Joined: 08-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida.used to live in NY.
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hate it!!! stick with 12. 12 get in and 20 go home
Posted Image Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,247
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

It may stop the rare occasions where a 10-6 or better team misses out on the playoffs, but expanding the playoffs to 14 would more often lead to 8-8 teams making it in. Plus you'd have to eliminate the #2 seed getting a bye or have a play-in game between the #7 and #6 seeds, which would add in another week and disadvantage the top two seeds who would be out of action for a fortnight.
0

#4 User is offline   santana Icon

  • I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 7,731
  • Joined: 03-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 29 September 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

It may stop the rare occasions where a 10-6 or better team misses out on the playoffs, but expanding the playoffs to 14 would more often lead to 8-8 teams making it in. Plus you'd have to eliminate the #2 seed getting a bye or have a play-in game between the #7 and #6 seeds, which would add in another week and disadvantage the top two seeds who would be out of action for a fortnight.


Its so they make sure the whole nfc east gets in every year haha
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!
0

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,539
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

no just no then we'll have 7-9 teams in the playoffs
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,523
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Let's not forget.....Seattle made it in a couple years back with a 7-9 record. The expansion is meant to prevent situations like this in that there were teams with more wins that did not make it into the postseason because of the current structure. I have a feeling we're going to end up seeing more 7-9 regardless.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#8 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,539
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 01 October 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Let's not forget.....Seattle made it in a couple years back with a 7-9 record. The expansion is meant to prevent situations like this in that there were teams with more wins that did not make it into the postseason because of the current structure. I have a feeling we're going to end up seeing more 7-9 regardless.


at this rate the cowboys might win the NFC east at 6-10
Get it done MT
Posted Image
1

#9 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,523
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostJetsfan115, on 01 October 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

at this rate the cowboys might win the NFC east at 6-10


This season that is entirely possible. Washington has imploded. Chip Kelly got figured out in just 2 weeks. The Giants can't seem to get out of their own way or stop a wet paper bag so the division is primed for Dallas to win. Believe it or not the AFC East is currently the most competitive if you think about it considering there's no team under .500 at the moment.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#10 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 8,247
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Here's the teams that would have qualified for the playoffs over the last few years if 7 teams made it:

2012: Steelers (8-8), Bears (10-6)
2011: Titans (9-7, 1 game ahead of the dysfunctional Jets!!!), Bears (8-8)
2010: Chargers (9-7), Giants (10-6) - this is the year the Seahawks won the NFC West at 7-9, and two 10-6 NFC teams missed the playoffs
2009: Texans (9-7), Falcons (9-7)
2008: Patriots (11-5 - 8-8 Chargers made it as AFC West champions), Buccaneers (9-7)
2007: Browns (10-6), Vikings (8-8)
2006: Broncos (9-7), Rams (8-8)
2005: Chiefs (10-6), Cowboys (9-7)
2004: Bills (9-7), Saints (8-8 - two 8-8 teams, the Vikings and Rams, made it to the postseason!)
2003: Dolphins (10-6), Vikings (9-7)

So that's five 8-8 teams, nine 9-7 teams, five 10-6 teams and one 11-5 team.

While only a quarter of teams are 8-8, nearly three quarters of the teams that would have qualified finished with eight or nine wins. 9-7 may be a winning record - and one of our recent AFC Championship games came with that record - but it would still mainly benefit mediocre teams; the difference between 9-7 and 7-9, after all, is really usually a lucky break or two.
0

#11 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,765
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 03 October 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Here's the teams that would have qualified for the playoffs over the last few years if 7 teams made it:

2012: Steelers (8-8), Bears (10-6)
2011: Titans (9-7, 1 game ahead of the dysfunctional Jets!!!), Bears (8-8)
2010: Chargers (9-7), Giants (10-6) - this is the year the Seahawks won the NFC West at 7-9, and two 10-6 NFC teams missed the playoffs
2009: Texans (9-7), Falcons (9-7)
2008: Patriots (11-5 - 8-8 Chargers made it as AFC West champions), Buccaneers (9-7)
2007: Browns (10-6), Vikings (8-8)
2006: Broncos (9-7), Rams (8-8)
2005: Chiefs (10-6), Cowboys (9-7)
2004: Bills (9-7), Saints (8-8 - two 8-8 teams, the Vikings and Rams, made it to the postseason!)
2003: Dolphins (10-6), Vikings (9-7)

So that's five 8-8 teams, nine 9-7 teams, five 10-6 teams and one 11-5 team.

While only a quarter of teams are 8-8, nearly three quarters of the teams that would have qualified finished with eight or nine wins. 9-7 may be a winning record - and one of our recent AFC Championship games came with that record - but it would still mainly benefit mediocre teams; the difference between 9-7 and 7-9, after all, is really usually a lucky break or two.

Nice work Smeds! I would not complain with those teams making it in.
Posted Image
0

#12 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 6,980
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Funniest thing here: Chip Kelly got "figured out"
0

#13 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,523
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 04 October 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Funniest thing here: Chip Kelly got "figured out"


I know. Not the best phrase or a Pulitzer type statement but weeks 1 & 2, their Offense was clicking. After that, they haven't done shit. 33 Wk 1, 30 Wk 2, 16 wk 3 & 20 wk 4.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#14 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 6,980
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 05 October 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

I know. Not the best phrase or a Pulitzer type statement but weeks 1 & 2, their Offense was clicking. After that, they haven't done shit. 33 Wk 1, 30 Wk 2, 16 wk 3 & 20 wk 4.


He hasn't been figured out.
0

#15 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,358
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 06 October 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

He hasn't been figured out.

Not sure what you mean by that?

I thought he was nothing but an as usual "over hyped" college coach before the season started. And the way I see it Kelly is just a repeat of what most college coaches do in their first NFL coaching job. Most fail miserably. Second timers tend to do better.

I didn't think Kelly was going to come into the NFL and change the NFL as the media acted like he was going to do and he hasn't proven me wrong yet. If he lasts more than a few years before being fired I will be surprised. I expect him to go back to college in the next few years.
0

#16 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 6,980
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 07 October 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean by that?

I thought he was nothing but an as usual "over hyped" college coach before the season started. And the way I see it Kelly is just a repeat of what most college coaches do in their first NFL coaching job. Most fail miserably. Second timers tend to do better.

I didn't think Kelly was going to come into the NFL and change the NFL as the media acted like he was going to do and he hasn't proven me wrong yet. If he lasts more than a few years before being fired I will be surprised. I expect him to go back to college in the next few years.


He hasn't proclaimed to "try to change the NFL" or anything of the sort. He doesn't even have his QB in (or most of his guys), he is coaching a team most predicted to win 6 games this season (on that pace). Oh and he has a chance to win the division still.

You don't "figure" someone out in 5 games. He's not had enough time to judge him.
0

#17 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 6,980
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 03 October 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

This season that is entirely possible. Washington has imploded. Chip Kelly got figured out in just 2 weeks. The Giants can't seem to get out of their own way or stop a wet paper bag so the division is primed for Dallas to win. Believe it or not the AFC East is currently the most competitive if you think about it considering there's no team under .500 at the moment.



View PostJetsman05, on 04 October 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Funniest thing here: Chip Kelly got "figured out"



View PostROBJETS, on 07 October 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Not sure what you mean by that?

I thought he was nothing but an as usual "over hyped" college coach before the season started. And the way I see it Kelly is just a repeat of what most college coaches do in their first NFL coaching job. Most fail miserably. Second timers tend to do better.

I didn't think Kelly was going to come into the NFL and change the NFL as the media acted like he was going to do and he hasn't proven me wrong yet. If he lasts more than a few years before being fired I will be surprised. I expect him to go back to college in the next few years.



!!!!!!!!
0

#18 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,358
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostJetsman05, on 23 December 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

!!!!!!!!

Not so much Chip Kelly as it is Foles. If not for Foles this team would definitely not be in this position.Not even close. Trying to say anything different is a bunch of crap. The gm is the genius for bringing Foles in.Not to mention Foles got in due to injury not some genius coaching decision.

On top of that the NFC East is a total toilet with Dallas having one of the worst defenses in the NFL still having a chance to win and get in next week. Also if Philly loses next week they will have went 3-3 in one of the if not the worst division in football.Some divisions have worse records but this division is just plain terrible.

So that said I'm still not convinced he is some great coach yet. Lets be logical and revisit this topic in a another year or two to see how this team fares multiple years. You can use Rex is an example. The team he was given had a heck of a lot of talent and made it to the AFC Championship two years with a sh*t qb and was considered a great coach but now that the team has had very little talent he is considered a terrible coach by many.

I find what Reid has done with the Chiefs far more impressive than a Philly team that could go 9-7 and be out of the playoffs but we will see what they are really about in the playoffs since they are more likely to win next week with Romo out.
0

#19 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,358
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

As far as adding more playoff teams as to the initial thread question I'm against it like many others. However Id like to see the seeding rules changed. In the NBA you can get a higher seed even if you aren't a division winner. I like those rules because in my mind a division winner that goes 9-7,8-8, or whatever shouldn't get a home playoff game over a team that didn't win its division and has a better record.
The NFC South and NFC West Wild Card teams both will have a better record(unless the Saints lose to the Bucs week 17) than either of the NFC North or NFC East division winner.

Basically just saying that winning a division shouldn't always guarantee a 3rd or 4th seed if they have a bad record. Id like to see division winners with bad worse records than the current wild card teams get 5th and 6th seeds.
0

#20 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 6,980
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, Chip Kelly gets no credit for Nick Foles season. None.

Chip Kelly is the coach. Who is known for offense. Who you said was figured out.

He's now 2nd in the league in points scored and about to go to the playoffs with a team everyone said would be drafting inside the top 5.

Stoppit.
0

Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users