NYJetsFan.com Forums: Rex's Defensive Coaching Tree - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets drop game vs packers MNf next
FlyHiJets Icon : (18 September 2014 - 10:57 AM) #68 should get retired but considering he didn't end his career with us............
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 11:18 AM) Decker is practing today, hopefully he's fine. I finally can watch a jets game live this Monday night
santana Icon : (18 September 2014 - 01:30 PM) That's good
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:11 PM) FIRE IDZIK
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:11 PM) FIRE RAUL
Jetsman05 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:27 PM) agreed
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:49 PM) Oh hey there buddy
Jetsman05 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:52 PM) harlem whats up dude
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:57 PM) Nada much man getting ready to watch this game
Jetsman05 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 06:58 PM) watching Kansas State shoot themselves
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 07:04 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 08:35 PM) Should have signed Hester.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (18 September 2014 - 08:36 PM) this game might be the worst game I have ever watched, pretty pathetic.
azjetfan Icon : (18 September 2014 - 09:31 PM) With our complete disaster of a secondary I am a little surprised we have not either signed a guy like Samuel or made a trade
azjetfan Icon : (19 September 2014 - 04:06 PM) Milliner also has a quad now. It really makes sense just to sit him until he is 100%. Lets get healthy instead of risking injury or letting Marshal go 80 for a TD.
azjetfan Icon : (Yesterday, 03:53 PM) Looks like Milliner will sit this week. Has not practiced this week.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:20 PM) WOO! Real! 8-2 shooting practice
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:21 PM) boo Liverpool
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:21 PM) FIRE RAUL!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:21 PM) idzik for admin! Milber for moderator!
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 04:32 PM) http://gifwall.net/g...a3jjPhnyiS0.gif
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 05:14 AM) RIP Rob Bironas
Canuck Jet Icon : (Today, 08:02 AM) Could some enlightened person explain why our secondary is such a mess despite tons of cap space? It's a passing league, better fix that soon or we'll see the Packers game all season.
greenandwhit... Icon : (Today, 10:21 AM) Grew up watching bironas... Good kicker RIP.
greenandwhit... Icon : (Today, 10:30 AM) Well as one aspiring to be an analyst on football i would say it's because we're trying to save up to makes some big moves next year. If you look at next year's potential free agents they're top of the line. If Ryan and Idznik can keep that cap room... Some great things can happen defensively.
greenandwhit... Icon : (Today, 10:30 AM) and offensively as well.
santana Icon : (Today, 01:32 PM) Dude bironas was solid that really sucks
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 02:30 PM) Sunday kinda sucks without jets football
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:50 PM) So who's having JETS withdrawls?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:50 PM) I didn't even watch any 1pm games cause all they had were the CHEATriots on
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:50 PM) now I'm flipping between the Den/Sea and the Az/SF games
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:51 PM) http://cdn.nextimpul...lbergstoned.gif
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:52 PM) HILARIOUS!!!!
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:56 PM) kraft is a pathetic troll
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 04:56 PM) and even a "fan" of the CHEATriots doesn't even give him any attention
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:28 PM) I still can't believe we lost to the packers and they go and lose to Detroit
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:28 PM) we lost that game they didn't beat us
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:55 PM) I really hope Decker is able to play tomorrow
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:55 PM) but without risking further injury cause we are going to need him later in the season
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:56 PM) and our running game better go off tomorrow night
santana Icon : (Today, 08:51 PM) some good games today
santana Icon : (Today, 08:51 PM) manning 4th quarter drive was pretty sick
santana Icon : (Today, 08:52 PM) so was russels OT drive
santana Icon : (Today, 08:52 PM) cousins looks legit for the skins
santana Icon : (Today, 08:52 PM) eagles another 4th quarter come back they seem really well conditioned
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Rex's Defensive Coaching Tree

#1 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

The Jets are riding high at 3-2 after Monday night’s road upset of the Falcons. A victory on Sunday against the winless Steelers, coupled with a Patriots loss at home to the undefeated Saints, would set up an AFC East showdown at MetLife Stadium between the 4-2 Jets and Patriots on Oct. 20.

Who would have thought that was possible at the beginning of the season?

The Jets’ surprising success isn’t the only reason why Ryan has had accolades (instead of arrows) thrown at him this season. His defensive coaching tree is off to a promising start. Bob Sutton (Chiefs) and Mike Pettine (Bills), both former Ryan lieutenants with the Jets, have unquestionably improved their units. At this point, the Jets ranked second in yards allowed per play, the Chiefs are seventh (20th last season) and the Bills are 15th (22nd in ’12).

Posted Image

“The strength of the system is the ability to make it player-driven, as we’ve done here,” Pettine said before taking on his former mentor in Week 3. “I wouldn’t say we’re significantly different from where we were in New York, but we are different based on the personnel that we have here—just as his personnel has changed slightly in New York and he’s adjusted his system accordingly.”

Sutton, 52, had a long college coaching career before joining the Jets in 2000 under Al Groh; he then worked under Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini. Prior to Mangini’s final season, in ’08, the Jets’ defensive staff was tasked with studying the system Ryan used as defensive coordinator of the Ravens.

“It’s so ironic,” Sutton told The MMQB during training camp. “We broke down every Baltimore game, trying to figure out what the heck this was—not quite understanding it; guessing. And then one year later (after Ryan was hired by the Jets) you’re saying, ‘Oh, this is what that was.’ It has been a great system for a number of years.”

Sutton says two factors stand out about Ryan’s system. It’s certainly complex, especially for opposing quarterbacks, but it’s commutable from player to player.

“When Rex got there, we watched the previous four years of cutups,” Sutton said. “I was thoroughly impressed by the number of players that played in the system and the results didn’t change. And then I said, ‘This is really good.’ ”

And then there is the proven ability to get the best out of the defensive linemen who are needed to key the system, from the Jets (Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Damon Harrison) … to the Chiefs (Dontari Poe, Mike DeVito, Tyson Jackson) … to the Bills (Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Alan Branch).

“One of (Ryan’s) best traits is his defensive linemen do a great job playing the ball, playing the blocker and getting off the blocks,” Sutton said. “That sounds like a simple thing, but I think that’s one of the things that goes unnoticed in Rex’s system. He’s had all these players go through the system—every year it seems like it’s somebody new—but every one of them does the same thing up front.”

How Ryan and his former understudies do that exactly remains a mystery.

“Can’t tell you,” Sutton said with a laugh.

But the results speak for themselves. Ryan’s coaching tree is growing well—he’d tell you that himself.

“I just think the proof is in the pudding,” Ryan said before facing Pettine and the Bills. “When you look at it from a statistical standpoint, it’ll bear out at some point. We lead the AFC in defense and Kansas City is second and it won’t be long before Buffalo joins those ranks. So the system is good, but the players make it, and you focus on what the players can do—and obviously Mike knows it. But there’s a lot of work involved. It’s a challenge to the players, but any player that plays defense wants to play in this system.

“That my defense, that’s his defense. Certainly we were together a long time. He’s somebody that I’m extremely proud of.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2...f1_a4&eref=sihp

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users