NYJetsFan.com Forums: Midseason Report: Give 'em A B - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets hire Maccagnan as GM and Bowles as HC. Who's starting the billboard fundraiser?
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 January 2015 - 09:21 PM) Mangini 49ers DC
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (23 January 2015 - 09:21 PM) Bad hire, the 49ers are seriously downgrading in coach. Going from Harbuagh to Tomsula, now Fangio to Mangini
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (23 January 2015 - 10:06 PM) Lol wow
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:17 AM) I hate when people say mangini built our team, I didn't know he was gm. Tannenbaum was good at making moves
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 02:05 PM) Bowles added pepper Johnson as dl coach, nice
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 04:13 PM) FIRE JOHNSON
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 04:13 PM) MORE TURNOVER
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 06:05 PM) I'm loving all these additions to the JETS coaching staff
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 06:06 PM) I can't wait to see what Maccagnan does in Free Agency and in the draft
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 07:40 PM) @AlbertBreer
The Jets are hiring Bears nat'l scout Rex Hogan as their director of college scouting. Chicago has released him from his contract
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 07:40 PM) @AlbertBreer 14m14 minutes ago
The Jets are also hiring Rams scout Brian Heimerdinger to a prominent front-office role. St. Louis let him out of his deal.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 07:48 PM) Heimerdinger is our director of player personnel now
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:12 PM) That is Mike Heimerdinger's son who used to be our OC in 05
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:12 PM) hopefully his son isn't as horrible as his pop was at play calling
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:17 PM) Everyone looks like a bad playcaller when you have no QB and have no talent
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:18 PM) When Heimerdinger was our OC it was when we had a ton of injuries on offense, were down to our 4th or 5th string QB
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:42 PM) FIRE HOGAN
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:42 PM) FIRE HEIMERDINGER
ganggreen2003 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 08:47 PM) STFU Harlem you are f***ing getting real annoying with this FIRE bullshit
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 09:13 PM) I thought you didn't pay attention to me
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 09:14 PM) You aaaaaare the wind beneath my wiiiiiiiiiings
a1elbow2.0 Icon : (24 January 2015 - 09:33 PM) I wonder if any possible new members come here, see no new posts for days and these about box conversations and wonder how the f*** this site is operational
MikeGangGree... Icon : (25 January 2015 - 12:22 AM) Would u rather FIRE EVERYONE or SUCK FOR THE DUCK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (25 January 2015 - 05:20 PM) Looks like we are having a blizzard the next 2 days over here.
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 January 2015 - 06:50 PM) My boss still said to come in lol
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (25 January 2015 - 06:50 PM) Possibility for midday dismissal though
Chadforpresi... Icon : (25 January 2015 - 09:52 PM) FIRE HARLEM
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (26 January 2015 - 01:11 AM) FIRE YOU
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 12:07 PM) FIRE NYJETSFAN.COM
azjetfan Icon : (26 January 2015 - 05:36 PM) this site has become dismal.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 January 2015 - 06:47 PM) Thanks Obama.
Mr_Jet Icon : (26 January 2015 - 06:49 PM) But really for all of you complaining about the site. What is there to talk about? We have a new GM and HC that we don't know how good or bad they'll be yet. So there really isn't much to talk about with the draft still months away.
azjetfan Icon : (26 January 2015 - 09:59 PM) Even I can't blame Obama :drinks:
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 11:42 PM) It could be worse
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 11:42 PM) we could be Phinzrage
MikeGangGree... Icon : (26 January 2015 - 11:43 PM) We got nothing to talk about
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 09:43 AM) HIRE MR JET
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 11:17 AM) There are some good OGs available in FA, we have to sign one
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 11:18 AM) Willie Colon was rated as one of the worst in football last season. So was Winters. Oday shows promise
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 11:18 AM) Orlando Franklin, Mike Iupati, Clint Boling. Should sign one
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 12:34 PM) Franklin or Iupati would be great
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 01:46 PM) hey reg how did you make out in this storm?
ganggreen2003 Icon : (27 January 2015 - 01:47 PM) we got slammed with snow but the wind didn't knock out our power so I made out pretty unscathed here in RI
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:14 PM) What sucks is that the NFL isn't going to throw the book at those CHEATS even though they may be found GUILTY
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 08:54 PM) This place is a GHOST TOWN
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Midseason Report: Give 'em A B

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

The Cincinnati debacle notwithstanding, the New York Jets have exceeded expectations with a 4-4 record. Some so-called experts didn't think they'd win four games for the entire season. You know who you are.

Before the season, I spoke to several personnel experts, and the consensus was that it was a six-win roster. A former Jets player, someone who understands the pulse of the team, told me in the preseason, "They're going to be terrible."

[+] Enlarge
Rich Schultz/Getty Images
Muhammad Wilkerson is the defensive star through eight weeks, notching a career-high seven sacks.They were terrible in Cincinnati and in Tennessee, but the Jets aren't a terrible team. Despite having only one or two blue-chip players, DE Muhammad Wilkerson and maybe C Nick Mangold, they've managed to hang around in the wild-card race. Rex Ryan and his staff have done a nice job of coaching around the obvious deficiencies and a rookie quarterback. Sure, they've benefitted from a couple of huge breaks (the Lavonte David late hit and the Chris Jones push), but at least they were good enough to capitalize on them.

Without further delay, our mid-season awards:

Offensive MVP: QB Geno Smith. Not much competition here. Yeah, I know, he cost them a couple of games with turnovers, but he also won games with his deep-throwing ability (Buffalo Bills), poise in the clutch (Atlanta Falcons) and mobility (New England Patriots).

Defensive MVP: DE Muhammad Wilkerson. A no-brainer. He already has a career-high seven sacks, along with one interception and one forced fumble. He's a lock for his first Pro Bowl. If he keeps it up, he could get some votes for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Special teams MVP: PK Nick Folk. You can't quibble with perfection. The man is 19-for-19 on field goals, including three game winners. Next to Wilkerson, he's the team MVP.

Most Improved: RB Bilal Powell. He began training camp as an afterthought, but he worked his way up to the starting job. He has become a more elusive runner than in past years.

Least Improved: NT Kenrick Ellis. He was expected to make a big jump in Year 3, but he was slowed by a preseason back injury and hasn't come close to being a dominant run stuffer.

Biggest Surprise: NT Damon Harrison. "Big Snacks" came out of nowhere last year and Wally-Pipped Ellis in the preseason. Harrison is one of the reasons why the Jets are No. 1 against the run.

Biggest Disappointment: CB Antonio Cromartie. Coming off a Pro Bowl season, Cromartie already has allowed five completions of at least 46 yards. His uneven play has made it harder for the defense to deal with the Darrelle Revis void.

[+] Enlarge
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
In 2013, Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie hasn't quite lived up to his Pro Bowl season of last year.Best Rookie: DT Sheldon Richardson. If it weren't for him, GM John Idzik would be taking major heat for the Revis trade. Richardson, acquired with the Revis pick (No. 13 overall), is a future star.

Best Off-Season Acquisition: RG Willie Colon. Plagued by injuries in recent years, Colon hasn't missed a play and has added an element of toughness to the offensive line.

Worst Off-Season Acquisition: RB Mike Goodson. Because of his embarrassing arrest and the subsequent suspension, he was a disaster before he stepped foot on the field. Maybe next time the front office will put more stock in its background checks.

Best-kept Secret: CB Ellis Lankster. He's not the leading tackler on special teams (he's second, behind Nick Bellore), but Lankster is the most dynamic player on the coverage units.

Best Coaching Move: Rex Ryan decided before the season to take control of the defense, running it on a day-to-day basis. Ryan is at his best -- ditto, the defense -- when he's in charge.

Worst Coaching Move: The decision to insert Mark Sanchez in the fourth quarter of a preseason game, behind a backup offensive line, was a brainlock for the ages.

Biggest Concern: There's not enough offense. In their four losses, the Jets have managed only two touchdowns. They have to face four top-12 defenses in the second half. Uh, oh.

Key to the Second Half: Continued improvement from Smith. His passer rating in Games 5-8 (75.2) was better than Games 1-4 (68.6), meaning he's moving in the right direction, albeit with baby steps. The struggling pass defense is another key, but luckily for the Jets, they face only one top-10 passing offense -- Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

The Jets will make the playoffs if: They win at least five of their remaining eight. Take a look at the AFC standings; a 9-7 record could be good enough for the second wild-card spot.

Player Ready to Emerge: RB Chris Ivory. He showed flashes against the Patriots. With the weather beginning to turn, Ivory's power-running style will be critical down the stretch.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

A fair enough assessment, though I'd say the biggest concern is currently injuries and suspensions on offense. It's hurt not having Santonio Holmes healthy; though David Nelson has played well, you don't expect a FA who joined a couple weeks into the season to be one of the leading contributors at receiver. Further, not having Winslow has denied Geno a smart, veteran target to throw to and the news on Cumberland makes the TE situation even more desperate.

Overall this team is performing reasonably well. The inconsistencies have been maddening and some of the performances have been poor, but the road win in Atlanta, and beating New England were unexpected highlights.

#3 User is offline   reg83ny Icon

• TMZ Correspondent
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• MLB:

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

This year's jet team = schizo

You never know what team will show up on sundays. Never expected this.

#4 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Inconsistency is killing the team but it's great that they're blowing expectations out of the water so far.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users