NYJetsFan.com Forums: Geno Smith - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Jump to content

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit
azjetfan Icon : (17 November 2014 - 10:22 PM) Titans may pull this one out!
azjetfan Icon : (17 November 2014 - 11:17 PM) Or not
azjetfan Icon : (17 November 2014 - 11:18 PM) Mettle burger a 6th rounder played better than Geno or Sanchez
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 November 2014 - 05:34 PM) all these players that got cut today cause they bitched about touches
ganggreen2003 Icon : (18 November 2014 - 05:35 PM) Ben Tate, LaGarret Blount and Jason Avant
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 01:37 PM) aldaon smith did too, but he didn't get cut
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 06:51 PM) ALDAON SMITH
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 06:51 PM) TEH MILBER
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 08:51 PM) Fuck you lol ;)
Jetsfan115 Icon : (19 November 2014 - 08:51 PM) and it was brooks anyway ;)
santana Icon : (19 November 2014 - 11:36 PM) Titties
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:46 AM) Raul is bringing nothing to the table
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:47 AM) TEH TABLE
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 12:59 PM) he really doesnt
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 12:59 PM) besides funding the site
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 02:00 PM) Looks like the game will be moved to Monday night in either Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Washington DC.
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 02:55 PM) that makes it sound like I AM THE TABLE
MikeGangGree... Icon : (20 November 2014 - 03:36 PM) SUCK FOR TEH DUCK
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 08:28 PM) lets go chaaaaaaaales
azjetfan Icon : (20 November 2014 - 08:37 PM) We want raiders to win
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 08:59 PM) Michael Irvin pre-game, "Jamaal Charles makes defenders look like Ray Charles"
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:00 PM) JETS will play on Monday Night at 7pm in Detroit as per Fox Sports Mike Garafalo
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:07 PM) word
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:07 PM) i wonder how much tickets could be
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:16 PM) murray bringing it to the table for 05
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:16 PM) well bringing it to his bench
Jetsman05 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:22 PM) Unreal. My fantasy luck is awesome
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:25 PM) GIOVANI OCHO SANTOS
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:26 PM) If i win by 3 pts i'm going to get drunk with the tulane students
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 09:50 PM) I don't think murray comes back. That hit was pretty vicious
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) THEEE RAAAAAAIYYYYDDDAAAHSS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) Hell has frozen over
ganggreen2003 Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:46 PM) the Raiders have won a game against the KC Cheifs
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:51 PM) that celebration on 3rd down when they sacked alex smith was hilarious
santana Icon : (20 November 2014 - 11:51 PM) they had no clue it was 3rd down
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:56 PM) RAUL IS TEH TABLE
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Yesterday, 12:57 PM) HALA RAUL
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:22 PM) yeah buddy
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:23 PM) I wonder how much ticket to this jets game would be. I hope its free
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:24 PM) city of detriot needs something.
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:25 PM) yeah global warming
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:34 PM) Any word on what channel the game will be shown outside of the NY area?
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:07 PM) No idea
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 06:07 PM) Direct tv announced they will be showing it though
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:08 PM) I just found out it will not be shown nationally
Resize Shouts Area

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Geno Smith

#1 User is offline   The Reverend Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,181
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I know it's early. But has anyone seen ANY growth from him? He makes the same bonehead mistakes every week and I just haven't seen any kind of growth. Thoughts?
Sal Paolantonio commenting on the difference in the Ryan and Mangini atmospheres in the building:
"It's like going from Alcatraz to Dorney Park."

It is better to destroy than create what is meaningless, so the picture will not be finished.
erikcoleman#26
0

#2 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 17,029
  • Joined: 30-July 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I've seen him get worse. 1 TD 8 INT in the past 5 games. He is lost out there, I would bench him and start Simms at this point. I have serious doubts about Geno as our future QB. If this team had steady QB play, we would run away with the WC spot.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,588
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

There's no doubt that he's struggling to say the least. As soon as he throws the first INT in a game, we all know he's destined to throw at least one more. 10 games into his rookie season is too soon however to call him a bust. As stated before......Peyton Manning threw 28 in his rookie season. The alternative at this point is what? Start Matt Simms and then start over with next year's draft and basically call this one quits even though we're still the 6 seed for the playoffs at this point? Benching Geno would / could do more harm than good.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#4 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 7,020
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 17 November 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

There's no doubt that he's struggling to say the least. As soon as he throws the first INT in a game, we all know he's destined to throw at least one more. 10 games into his rookie season is too soon however to call him a bust. As stated before......Peyton Manning threw 28 in his rookie season. The alternative at this point is what? Start Matt Simms and then start over with next year's draft and basically call this one quits even though we're still the 6 seed for the playoffs at this point? Benching Geno would / could do more harm than good.


Please.

Never, EVER compare Geno's rookie season to Peyton Manning's.

Probably a good thing Geno is struggling mightily though. Next year's QB class is as legit as they come and we can take one in the first 2 rounds now.
0

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,628
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

IDK WTF happened to geno to be honest.
a few things i noticed though are

negatives

1) Geno sucks under pressure. he's a rookie so hopefully he gets better but right now he is terrible when pressured. teams know this and keep rushing him.

2) Geno sucks on 3 step drops, he's short and indecisive

Positives

1) Geno is much better when he rolls out of the pocket. IDK why we stopped doing this
2) Geno was leading the NFL after 6 weeks in deep balls. jets completed more 40+ yard passes then any team. we need to throw deep. it also backs off the defense opening the run game.

So in short it appears rex is trying to "manage" geno with a crap o-line and its not working. we need to give him more rolling pockets, better protection, and more deep throws to be successful IMO
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#6 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,976
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

I think I have been Sanchized. I have little faith in rookie QBs unless they flash on a regular basis. Geno has not done this. Hopefully I am wrong
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,070
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

There's no way this kid's entire body of work deserves to be determined 10 games into a season with a talentless offense
Posted ImagePosted Image
0

#8 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,976
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cheese Land Baby
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

  • NFL Team:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 19 November 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

There's no way this kid's entire body of work deserves to be determined 10 games into a season with a talentless offense

I am not throwing him aside. I am just not getting on the bandwagon just yet.
Posted Image
0

#9 User is offline   HarlemHxC814 Icon

  • 06 Best Avatar Award / N.O.P. GUARD
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 5,070
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 19 November 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

I am not throwing him aside. I am just not getting on the bandwagon just yet.


Not saying you or anyone else has to by any stretch, but I've seen a ton of shit on the internet (primarily on facebook) from idiots who are saying to start Simms and garbage like that. Like Mr_Jet had pointed out, we knew Geno was going to have games like the ones he had against the Bengals and on Sunday. Everyone is calling for his head and he really doesn't have any help around him to do anything, and with that the kid has won 5 games for this team. He's making a lot of stupid mistakes, but I feel that once he cuts down on them (and I feel he will) the turnovers will reduce and he will be part of the solution instead of being a problem during the losses like he has. The Jets are 5-5 right now and tied for #6 in the AFC. Who predicted that at the beginning of the season? I certainly didn't. As far as I'm concerned people need to cut Geno a little bit of slack right now (of course him winning next week will cure a lot of that...until a subsequent loss). If we can get some players like Hakeem Nicks, Jimmy Graham, Eric Ebron, or Marqise Lee this offseason in conjunction with adding some better protection, I'm willing to bet you'll see a marked improvement with Geno in 2014
Posted ImagePosted Image
0

#10 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,628
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostHarlemHxC814, on 19 November 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Not saying you or anyone else has to by any stretch, but I've seen a ton of shit on the internet (primarily on facebook) from idiots who are saying to start Simms and garbage like that. Like Mr_Jet had pointed out, we knew Geno was going to have games like the ones he had against the Bengals and on Sunday. Everyone is calling for his head and he really doesn't have any help around him to do anything, and with that the kid has won 5 games for this team. He's making a lot of stupid mistakes, but I feel that once he cuts down on them (and I feel he will) the turnovers will reduce and he will be part of the solution instead of being a problem during the losses like he has. The Jets are 5-5 right now and tied for #6 in the AFC. Who predicted that at the beginning of the season? I certainly didn't. As far as I'm concerned people need to cut Geno a little bit of slack right now (of course him winning next week will cure a lot of that...until a subsequent loss). If we can get some players like Hakeem Nicks, Jimmy Graham, Eric Ebron, or Marqise Lee this offseason in conjunction with adding some better protection, I'm willing to bet you'll see a marked improvement with Geno in 2014


Our offense is still overall undertalented.

O-line
colon, winters, and howard are below average. brick has regressed into being average and mangold while being good isn't being dominant as before

TE/WRs
holmes has been banged up and oft injured, Hill has been overall decent at best, Kerly is a good slot WR but is hurt now and not starting material, the rest are scrubs and throwaway. Winslow is not good, cumberland is a below average starter

RBs
bohanan sucks, ivory and powell are average RBs at best. goodson was a bust with an arrest and injury

We need to rebuild the offense period. 5 years since drafting sanchez and we still haven't built anything around the QB, now were doing it with geno
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#11 User is offline   Chaos Icon

  • D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 3,042
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

Regardless of what happens this season, I think the Jets should grab a QB within the first 2 rounds this coming draft. Having a young talented backup QB is always good, either as a potential start to keep the fire on Geno or trade bait for later if Geno steps it up.
0

#12 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

  • Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin
  • Posts: 23,628
  • Joined: 30-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cali

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostChaos, on 19 November 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Regardless of what happens this season, I think the Jets should grab a QB within the first 2 rounds this coming draft. Having a young talented backup QB is always good, either as a potential start to keep the fire on Geno or trade bait for later if Geno steps it up.


Some experts say draft a QB every year.
I mean if they do good in preseaon or mop up duty they have trade value.
cassel, schaub, flynn, and a few others got traded for a better pick then they were drafted with. PLus with sanchez gone and assuming geno starts, are we really ok with simms at number 2? I mean as a 3rd QB sure, but a backup not so much.
Get it done MT
Posted Image
0

#13 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

  • Old Timer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,298
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:AUSTIN,TX MALE member 2000-01

  • NFL Team:

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Simms throws a nice ball with a quick release why not give him a go and alternate with geno .its no big deal .thats is what we did last week anyway. NE lost so we lost nothing.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image
0

#14 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,404
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

View Postgmany3k, on 21 November 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

Simms throws a nice ball with a quick release why not give him a go and alternate with geno .its no big deal .thats is what we did last week anyway. NE lost so we lost nothing.

Two things on this.

Most of you guys stood by Sanchez for around 3.5 years and he was never a legitimate starting qb. If he wouldn't have been on a stellar team that literally carried him and covered up his poor play for two years he would have never made it to 4 years starting. Yet you guys want Geno benched in his rookie year and he has a lot average and below average players around him unlike what Mark had for two years.

Simms doesn't have the skill to be a starter. He is a #3 qb at best. Starting him or alternating him as a starter does nothing for this team. All teams look at tape and if anyone saw anything in him that shows he has starting potential he would either be starting for us already or took a deal somewhere else as a starter. You cant take what a qb does against mostly backups in a blowout game and say he should be starting. Odds are the starters would own him. If he showed enough in practice he would have been competing for a starting job by now.
0

#15 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

  • Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 7,020
  • Joined: 17-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Carolina
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

  • NFL Team:

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostROBJETS, on 21 November 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

Two things on this.

Most of you guys stood by Sanchez for around 3.5 years and he was never a legitimate starting qb. If he wouldn't have been on a stellar team that literally carried him and covered up his poor play for two years he would have never made it to 4 years starting. Yet you guys want Geno benched in his rookie year and he has a lot average and below average players around him unlike what Mark had for two years.

Simms doesn't have the skill to be a starter. He is a #3 qb at best. Starting him or alternating him as a starter does nothing for this team. All teams look at tape and if anyone saw anything in him that shows he has starting potential he would either be starting for us already or took a deal somewhere else as a starter. You cant take what a qb does against mostly backups in a blowout game and say he should be starting. Odds are the starters would own him. If he showed enough in practice he would have been competing for a starting job by now.


Did you break down the DVR (game film) on Simms?
0

#16 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

  • LB Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,404
  • Joined: 29-September 05
  • Gender:Male

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 21 November 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Did you break down the DVR (game film) on Simms?

Honestly I shut that game off. It was to much to watch but that said you cant judge preseason heroes against backups and a guy that looked good coming in a blowout game for a limited number of plays. We all know how Cassel and Flynn have turned out yet you guys want Simms to start after far less playing time in a regular season game? Grasping at straws Id say.

Sorry but Id have to see far more from him to even consider it. Simms was brought in and then waived and then brought back in from lack of depth. He certainly wouldn't be 2nd string without the injury to Sanchez. The coaches see him every day and obviously he didn't make enough of an impact on the coaches. Take Tannehill for instance on Hard Knocks. He was lowest on the totem pole but made such an impact that he was made the starter. The way I see it he has to be making a lot of mistakes in practice to be kept down.

Yes its possible that he is a slow learner and needed time but I doubt it. Anyway like I said you guys were on Sanchez rod for years and when he made mistakes it was always placed on everyone else except the inaccurate guy throwing the ball.....yet now you want to give up on Geno already in his rookie year? What a joke
0

#17 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

  • Old Timer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,298
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:AUSTIN,TX MALE member 2000-01

  • NFL Team:

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

I was the 1st guy to say mark was not our guy at the 2nd season calling for a strong arm QB. I think mark made the 1st QB spot during preseason but do to the imury geno got the nod . I think geno is doing a fair job at QB , but he looks as good as eli out there in some games so, watching simms play , I see the team seems to move the ball and make progress on the field against starters I know I watched The whole game Rob. At this point simms couldn't do much worse than geno . Now coaches and scouts are never 100% in picking talent that can perform on the field these days , that is why we see an limitless supply of players in and out of the NFL.lets face you know the Brady story nobody saw that coming . Simms just looks confident when he h is in there . against the ravens our QBs get kicked in the mouth every year . so after all is said we are at 500 so whats 1/2 half of football to see simms in there after all he is just one injury play away from starting on any given sunday. as for practice mark was not our guy for 2 yrs but ryan and the staff kept him in as a starter . I for one am for doing things outside the box , like getting a basketball player to play the new tall TE's for defense so as to match up.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image
0

#18 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,588
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 17 November 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Please.

Never, EVER compare Geno's rookie season to Peyton Manning's.

Probably a good thing Geno is struggling mightily though. Next year's QB class is as legit as they come and we can take one in the first 2 rounds now.


Why not compare it? Peyton had 28 INT's in his rookie season when it was a run-first league. I'm not saying Geno will ever be as good as Manning but there's no way in hell anyone can say as a second rounder in his rookie season that Geno's a bum which some people are basically doing.

We've still got no legitimate #1 WR, our run game is barely alive, our O-line gets basically destroyed. Geno's worst characteristic is his turnovers. That can be improved upon with time. We sure as hell don't have anyone else that can do the job. Simms is really a 3rd QB forced into the backup spot by Sanchez going down.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

#19 User is offline   gmany3k Icon

  • Old Timer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8,298
  • Joined: 31-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:AUSTIN,TX MALE member 2000-01

  • NFL Team:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Mark played like a rookie for 4yr yrs . and we always are needing a new better WR . we are loosing as a team not geno's fault so with simms it could be some fluke luck .which by the way the Jets need an extra supply its half time at the ravens and geno can't make the team play better so don't be surprise if they just throw simms in their at some point.
21ST CENTURY NEW YORK STATE OF MIND ."REST IN PEACE NIGHT OWL TOM"Use Caution when reading my comments>.Posted Image
0

#20 User is offline   NJAzrael71 Icon

  • Formerly FlyHi
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,588
  • Joined: 06-August 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

  • NFL Team:

  • MLB:

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

I honestly don't care who's behind Center as long as we win, but I can only hope that the team doesn't do to Geno what was done to Sanchez. Sanchez MIGHT have been able to be a better QB had he not had a difference OC pretty much every year and no consistency with offensive playmakers.

My wife asked me what player on the team I'd like a jersey for and the only players I can even think of would be Wilk or Richardson at this point.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!
0

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users