NYJetsFan.com Forums: Future Of Rex? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Today's Jets news: Sign Chris Johnson - http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38339 | Host Sidney Rice - http://nyjetsfan.com...showtopic=38341
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 02:34 PM) He ain't wearing 28
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:34 PM) Well considering they already retired #28 in honor of Curtis Martin, I don't see Johnson wearing #28.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:35 PM) Kind of defeats the purpose of retiring a number.
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:39 PM) But I know he better not wear LaMont Jordan's number. Or I'll be pissed.
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 02:40 PM) Snell
santana Icon : (Today, 02:41 PM) The title race is real
Chaos Icon : (Today, 02:42 PM) Jordan...what number was he? it was 30sometihng
Chaos Icon : (Today, 02:43 PM) tanaka had a great game today. gave up 2 hits due to bunts. 10K
Mr_Jet Icon : (Today, 02:48 PM) Jordan was #34 with the Jets.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:03 PM) Tanaka is looking like a stud
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) Jets added Vick, Chris Johnson, and Eric Decker to the offense.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) And this draft is loaded at the offensive skill positions
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:04 PM) Hopefully we can get anohter starting WR and starting TE in the draft
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:05 PM) Our offense could be much better than last year
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:05 PM) can't get much worse than what it's been the last 2 years
santana Icon : (Today, 03:22 PM) Very cool
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 03:24 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:32 PM) still need another WR
Jetsfan115 Icon : (Today, 03:33 PM) so i bet powell barely gets any touches this year and goodson gets cut
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:34 PM) Goodson is as good as gone.
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 03:34 PM) With all his legal issues and coming off injury he is done. Possibly even in the NFL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:39 PM) Powell is average anyways.
Chaos Icon : (Today, 03:39 PM) @ProFootballTalk 5m

Per source, Chris Johnson's two-year deal has a base value of $8 million, with another $1 million available in incentives based on yardage.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:40 PM) He does a lot of things well, but isn't talented enough. Johnson has breakaway ability still and Ivory is man beast running the football
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 03:41 PM) We will get another WR in the draft. Even in round 2 you can get a starting WR
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 04:09 PM) I am still standing by my CB in the first round and WR in the second prediction
santana Icon : (Today, 05:19 PM) The title race is bale
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 05:34 PM) Sidney rice coming in for a visit
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:49 PM) I think the Jets are getting themselves ready to draft best player available
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 05:49 PM) Last year they stuck to their board
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 06:27 PM) if they sign him I think that means they look to take a CB round 1
2JBallar01 Icon : (Today, 06:32 PM) “@AdamSchefter: RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.”
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:51 PM) @AlbertBreer 2m
Sidney Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks on a one-year deal, per source.
Expand
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:55 PM) There is really only 2 CBs worth taking at 18
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:56 PM) I rather get a offensive playmaker
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 06:58 PM) LaMont Jordan was 34
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 06:59 PM) liar
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) He wore #34 when he played for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) I should know I met him at an event in his last year with the JETS before he went to Oakland
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Today, 07:05 PM) GFYS 0099 you shit talker
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 07:06 PM) http://www.nydailyne...entry-1.1758342
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (Today, 07:06 PM) there's no reason we can't have someone off this site on that list too
azjetfan Icon : (Today, 07:08 PM) Rice resigned with Seattle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Today, 07:08 PM) did you scare him into going to Oakland?
Resize Shouts Area

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Future Of Rex?

Poll: Will Rex be the HC next year (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Rex be the HC next year

1. Yes (9 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. No (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

So I have one mindset that loved the guy and believes without him we would have 2 wins this year. I have another mindset that the reason why our O is so horrid is because of Rex. Is he not a well enough rounded head coach? Does he tend to pursuade the GM to draft heavy on defense because that is what he is comfortable with? I guess my question would start with would we be better with someone else and is so who would that be. Looking around the league I don't see a clear answer.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm with you on this 100%. I have no clue as to what should happen to Rex. Part of me wants him back. He guarantees a competitive D every season. But the nonsense that has been going on the offensive side of the ball has been...offensive. Part of it has to do with the lack of depth, another part with the lack of talent. With the Jets finally having some cap room and draft picks to play with this coming season, I want them to truly commit to the offense. But that brings forth another question, how long do we as fans keep making up excuses? We have blamed the lack of production by the offense on the OC, the talent, the QB, the injures, wasted money, etc etc. The buck needs to stop somewhere. I think Rex's future heavily depends on what happens the next 4 games against the Raiders, Panthers, Browns, and Dolphins. Jets need to remain competitive in these games for Rex to have a good shot at potentially returning.

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

If the season keeps going like this, probably not. They'll fire him and bring in a offensive minded HC to try and turn around this pathetic offense.

Or they may figure its a talent thing and keep the coaching staff and try to get offensive talent.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 04 December 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

If the season keeps going like this, probably not. They'll fire him and bring in a offensive minded HC to try and turn around this pathetic offense.

Or they may figure its a talent thing and keep the coaching staff and try to get offensive talent.

This is 100% a talent issue. Marty can run the O as well as anyone. I guess my point was is Rex hurting us by being such a one sided coach? There are other defensive minded coaches out there who are sucessful but I believe those other coaches are more rounded and have more talent. What amount of liability is Rex?
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 04 December 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

This is 100% a talent issue. Marty can run the O as well as anyone. I guess my point was is Rex hurting us by being such a one sided coach? There are other defensive minded coaches out there who are sucessful but I believe those other coaches are more rounded and have more talent. What amount of liability is Rex?

i agree with this. Rex has had us a top 10 defense every year and that is with a pitiful offense always giving away points. The offense woes are pure lack of talent. marty is a very good OC buy with a rookie QB a poor oline and a below average WR group what can you expect?
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   JSOTF Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

My gripe with Rex is he cannot get this team prepared for BIG games. Too many letdowns IMO.

#7 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostJSOTF, on 04 December 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

My gripe with Rex is he cannot get this team prepared for BIG games. Too many letdowns IMO.

It seems to me the opposite is true. We beat the Pats in a Playoff game we had no business winning but come out flat against the Steelers. This year we beat the Pats but then get killed by the Bengals. We beat the Saints but then..... It would seem we are ready for the big ones but we let ourselves get comfy after that win.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   ROBJETS Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thois team is still rebuilding. I dont know what my feelings are with Rex at this point but I dont think he should be judged for Tanny`s screw ups.

Really cant blame Idzik for Geno because we knew going into the draft that there probably weren't any legit top level qb`s but they had to try because sticking with Sanchez wasn't the answer.As bad as Geno has been at times it was a needed and refreshing change.

Most of the defensive draft picks worked out.... though the book is still out on Milliner.He may just need time since his position is one of the harder spots to play.

#9 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:21 AM

Really hope he's removed as HC.

#10 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Jets have exceeded expectations set by the organization and showed critics that we can compete...well defensively. I know this never happens but what are the possibilities of switching Marty and Rex roles as HC and DC. Rex has proven again and again why he should be a def coor., he has no clue what offense is.

#11 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

View Postblk_orion, on 05 December 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Jets have exceeded expectations set by the organization and showed critics that we can compete...well defensively. I know this never happens but what are the possibilities of switching Marty and Rex roles as HC and DC. Rex has proven again and again why he should be a def coor., he has no clue what offense is.

No chance at all... A HC would not accept a demotion on that team to a coordinator role. He may take a DC job elsewhere, but not here. And he would probably get another HC job elsewhere first.

Marty was a terrible HC in Detroit.

If Rex is fired, I would definitely hire a offensive minded HC, not Marty though. My first choice would probably be Jon Gruden, since he is a offensive minded coach and has experience as a HC. I wouldn't mind his brother either, Jay Gruden, hes done a nice job in Cinci as OC.

If we go to the college ranks for a HC, I would be up for David Shaw. He was in the NFL as a coach from 1997-2005, he has a offensive background and has experience as a HC but in college.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Smedsthejet Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 05 December 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Really hope he's removed as HC.

But who would be the candidates to replace him? Is there really a current coordinator out there who would do a better job than Rex?

#13 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostJetsfan0099, on 05 December 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

No chance at all... A HC would not accept a demotion on that team to a coordinator role. He may take a DC job elsewhere, but not here. And he would probably get another HC job elsewhere first.

Marty was a terrible HC in Detroit.

If Rex is fired, I would definitely hire a offensive minded HC, not Marty though. My first choice would probably be Jon Gruden, since he is a offensive minded coach and has experience as a HC. I wouldn't mind his brother either, Jay Gruden, hes done a nice job in Cinci as OC.

If we go to the college ranks for a HC, I would be up for David Shaw. He was in the NFL as a coach from 1997-2005, he has a offensive background and has experience as a HC but in college.

I think he knows he would be hired pretty quickly as a HC somewhere else. He has not had a team with talent on the Offensive side of the ball yet. In the AFC Championship years he had all but a QB. He could go to a team like the Lions, Cowboys, Falcons or even Panthers. All teams with HCs on the hot seat and with a QB.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostSmedsthejet, on 05 December 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

But who would be the candidates to replace him? Is there really a current coordinator out there who would do a better job than Rex?

More than willing to take a chance on someone else, yes.

Not sure exactly what Rex has done the past couple seasons to warrant any sort of unconditional backing.

Jay Gruden or Pete Carmichael would be my choices.

#15 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 05 December 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

More than willing to take a chance on someone else, yes.

Not sure exactly what Rex has done the past couple seasons to warrant any sort of unconditional backing.

Jay Gruden or Pete Carmichael would be my choices.

I would not say unconditional. Do you think Jay or Pete could have done more with the current staff?
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

View Postazjetfan, on 05 December 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I would not say unconditional. Do you think Jay or Pete could have done more with the current staff?

Don't just blame every roster move on Tanny.

Rex has had his say.

This team gets worse EVERY year further from Mangini.

#17 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostJetsman05, on 05 December 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Don't just blame every roster move on Tanny.

Rex has had his say.

This team gets worse EVERY year further from Mangini.
I would be silly to argue that point because you are right. My point is he should not be in the drafting and FA process. This should be on the GM And scouting staff. I believe we have the coaching staff in place to win. We need to evaluate how we bring in new talent. The opposite of the Parcells comment about groceries.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   blk_orion Icon

• Line Coach
  • Icon

• MLB:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

I agree that we have the coaching staff in place to win. Let's see what Idzik bring in this offseason.

View Postazjetfan, on 05 December 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I would be silly to argue that point because you are right. My point is he should not be in the drafting and FA process. This should be on the GM And scouting staff. I believe we have the coaching staff in place to win. We need to evaluate how we bring in new talent. The opposite of the Parcells comment about groceries.

#19 User is offline   arizonaJETSfan Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

we gotta watch our $ spent. We drop too much for sanchez (& I LIKE HIM...but not at the price tag) It would be nice if we could be comfortable under the cap for a change (I know its a pipe dream cause people want their $) But dam, why cant we get better talent evals on the draft picks. I see so much wasted & picks traded for maybes. I hate that bellichek did us dirty takin the HC job for less than 24 hours, but that fool does it right (gotta respect his gangster) As much talk as our D has generated...we still have no steady play up front, no play makin LB, wasted corners, & shallow at safety. (& thats our GOOD side of the ball!)
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   a1elbow2.0 Icon

• Drafted Rookie
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've been pretty much out of town on the board this year because I have only seen two Jets games (that and the board is really slow anymore and I don't have a lot of new stuff to say), so here is my year ending poll vote and opinion:

Yes, Rex gets fired and deserves to be fired.

This team continues to get less talented all the time and that isn't just a draft issue. Guys who four years ago were considered elite or higher tier (Mangold, Harris, Ferguson) have all dwindled to this-guy's-a-starter status. This isn't just poor investment in new players, it is the coaching staff's inability to develop players. We have three or four players from the past five drafts who are useful to this team (Richardson, Wilkerson, Kerley and Davis). Not every player we are drafting is trash. That is absurd. It isn't just that some teams draft great, it is that they find ways to use guys. The Jets, under Ryan, don't do this.

Another huge issue is the way Ryan handles situations. Sanchez was considered to be risky because he only had a year of experience, but he ended up the starter and was under that pressure from the start. Now Smith, another player with some transitional issues from college to the NFL, is tossed in right away and struggles. Smith has player terribly and outside of some good plays at the start of teh season, he has played worse almost every week. Yet again, this team doesn't/won't trust the backup QB enough to bring him in. Sanchez had all sorts of bizarre "tools" given to him that were basically public humiliations (the stop light bracelet, sliding school from a Yankee, etc) and now Milliner has been repeatedly benched, etc. These aren't ways to train or motivate players. Either Milliner should start or not-it shouldn't be a weekly halftime decision.

Outside of new examples of why Ryan is an awful HC and why he is a great DC, this is the same year we have had for the past two years. Get rid of Ryan, improve player scouting in the organisation and get a plan for the future. If Mangini can get fired in a season where his starting QB is injured the final third of the season and they still go 9-7, then Ryan definitely can go.

View PostClemens11, on 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

1 int for every 4 tis is a pretty nice ratio to me

Bottomfeeder Tracker: 6-17 vs teams with a winning record.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users