NYJetsFan.com Forums: Who Will Be The Final Afc Playoff Team? - NYJetsFan.com Forums

Toggle shoutbox NYJETSFAN BANTER

Jets pick up option on Wilkerson
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:24 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Jetsfan115 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:32 PM) still need another WR
Jetsfan115 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:33 PM) so i bet powell barely gets any touches this year and goodson gets cut
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:34 PM) Goodson is as good as gone.
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:34 PM) With all his legal issues and coming off injury he is done. Possibly even in the NFL
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) Powell is average anyways.
Chaos Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) @ProFootballTalk 5m

Per source, Chris Johnson's two-year deal has a base value of $8 million, with another $1 million available in incentives based on yardage.
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:40 PM) He does a lot of things well, but isn't talented enough. Johnson has breakaway ability still and Ivory is man beast running the football
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 03:41 PM) We will get another WR in the draft. Even in round 2 you can get a starting WR
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 04:09 PM) I am still standing by my CB in the first round and WR in the second prediction
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:19 PM) The title race is bale
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:34 PM) Sidney rice coming in for a visit
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:49 PM) I think the Jets are getting themselves ready to draft best player available
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 05:49 PM) Last year they stuck to their board
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:27 PM) if they sign him I think that means they look to take a CB round 1
2JBallar01 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:32 PM) “@AdamSchefter: RB Chris Johnson's 2-year deal with Jets has a team option in it for year two. Jets have option to pick up year two at $4M in February 2015.”
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:51 PM) @AlbertBreer 2m
Sidney Rice has agreed to terms with the Seahawks on a one-year deal, per source.
Expand
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:55 PM) There is really only 2 CBs worth taking at 18
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:56 PM) I rather get a offensive playmaker
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM) LaMont Jordan was 34
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 06:59 PM) liar
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) He wore #34 when he played for the JETS
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) I should know I met him at an event in his last year with the JETS before he went to Oakland
ganggreen2003 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:05 PM) GFYS 0099 you shit talker
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) http://www.nydailyne...entry-1.1758342
HarlemHxC814 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:06 PM) there's no reason we can't have someone off this site on that list too
azjetfan Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM) Rice resigned with Seattle
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM) did you scare him into going to Oakland?
Chaos Icon : (16 April 2014 - 08:18 PM) unfortunately those sites are too much bigger than our
MikeGangGree... Icon : (16 April 2014 - 10:51 PM) WOOOO
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM) I'm sure it's possible but this isn't a blog site as much as its a login and yell about the jets site
santana Icon : (16 April 2014 - 11:01 PM) WOO
Chaos Icon : (Yesterday, 07:39 AM) yeah...TheGangGreen didn't participate either. they're represented as a forum too on Google
Jetsman05 Icon : (Yesterday, 01:11 PM) offesnive tehhhh
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 01:46 PM) 05 on point today
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 02:36 PM) lol
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:31 PM) It's 0099's favorite day of the year
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:32 PM) it's National High-5 day :WTF:
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:32 PM) who the hell high 5's people anymore
ganggreen2003 Icon : (Yesterday, 05:32 PM) just dap and leave it there
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:43 PM) everyone high 5s
santana Icon : (Yesterday, 05:44 PM) bubba watson when he won the masters last weekend went through a gauntlet of high 5s
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:05 PM) GG03 is the high 5 master
Jetsfan0099 Icon : (Yesterday, 06:07 PM) FIRE IDZIK
Mr_Jet Icon : (Yesterday, 10:45 PM) People don't dap anymore either.
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1

Who Will Be The Final Afc Playoff Team?

#1 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

The Kansas City Chiefs are all but a lock to take the first wild-card spot in the AFC. Four teams are competing for the sixth and final AFC playoff bid. Which team has the best chance to get in? Our team reporters make the case for, or against, the Ravens, Dolphins, Jets and Chargers.

Baltimore Ravens (7-6)

Remaining games: at Lions, vs. Patriots, at Bengals

Don't count out the Baltimore Ravens, even though it's easy to do when looking at their remaining schedule. Of the contenders for that second AFC wild-card spot, the Ravens have the most difficult final three weeks of the regular season, facing three division leaders, including two on the road. Despite the odds stacked against them and the fact that they're 1-5 on the road, the Ravens will make the playoffs because they're hitting their stride at the right time. It's games like this past Sunday's historic finish against the Minnesota Vikings that make you think the defending Super Bowl champions have regained their magic.

NFL Playoff Machine

Check current playoff seedings and figure scenarios through the end
of the season. Playoff Machine
All three phases are starting to click for the Ravens. On offense, Joe Flacco is starting to stretch the field again, and his favorite target, tight end Dennis Pitta, has returned after dislocating his hip in late July. Defensively, the Ravens have allowed the eighth-fewest points in the league in addition to ranking in the top three on third down and in the red zone. On special teams, the Ravens have the NFLís most consistent kicker in Justin Tucker and an explosive returner in Jacoby Jones.

The ability to make plays late is why the Ravens look like a postseason team again. The Ravens struggled early this season because they couldnít win the close games. Baltimore was 1-3 in games decided by three or fewer points in September and October. Now, the Ravens are 3-1 in such games in November and December.

Plus, their final stretch isnít as daunting as it seems. The Lions have lost three of their past four games, and running back Reggie Bush aggravated a calf injury Sunday. The Patriots lost tight end Rob Gronkowski to a season-ending injury, and they may not have as much at stake when they play the Ravens because New England can clinch the AFC East on Sunday. And the Ravens beat the Bengals earlier this season. In fact, there is a still a chance that the Ravens could be playing for the AFC North title, and not a wild-card berth, in the season finale in Cincinnati.

-- Jamison Hensley, ESPN.com Ravens reporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins (7-6)

Remaining games: vs. Patriots, at Bills, vs. Jets

A month ago, the playoff prospects of the Miami Dolphins seemed iffy at best. This was a group that couldnít finish in the fourth quarter and was distracted by off-the-field issues involving the bullying scandal with offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin.

But something clicked with Miami at just the right time. The Dolphins have won three of their past four -- which includes two straight road games in December -- and that's enough to make me believe they can make the postseason for the first time since 2008.

Which of these teams has the best shot at making the playoffs?

24%
Baltimore Ravens
55%
Miami Dolphins
14%
New York Jets
7%
San Diego Chargers
(Total votes: 978)
The Dolphins are not only the hottest of the four remaining teams competing for the AFC's final wild card, they're the most resilient. No team has gone through the adversity and distractions Miami faced during the Martin-Incognito scandal. The Dolphins had NFL investigators at their training facility interviewing every player, coach and key executives. The media scrutiny was intense. Both took time and energy away from their preparation.

Still, Dolphins second-year coach Joe Philbin did a good job keeping the team focused with recent wins over the San Diego Chargers (6-7), New York Jets (6-7) and Pittsburgh Steelers (5-8). The victories over the Chargers and Jets, in particular, provide key head-to-head tiebreakers that could pay dividends. Those are two of the teams Miami is battling for the final wild card in the AFC.

Miami's biggest concern is the Ravens, who beat Miami in Week 5. However, Baltimore has a tougher remaining schedule. The Ravens will play at the Detroit Lions (7-6), the New England Patriots (10-3) and at the Cincinnati Bengals (9-4). Baltimoreís opponent winning percentage is .667. The Ravens could slip up at any moment. Miami has an opponent winning percentage of .512 and will be favored in at least two of its final three games.

Considering all that has transpired this year in Miami, the Dolphins would be a phenomenal story if they made the playoffs.

-- James Walker, ESPN.com Dolphins reporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Jets (6-7)

Remaining games: at Panthers, vs. Browns, at Dolphins

The Jets will miss the playoffs for the third straight year. If you're living in a vacuum, that might be a disappointing, considering they were 5-4 at their bye week. But remember the big picture: This is a rebuilding season under first-year general manager John Idzik. The Jets are starting five rookies, including quarterback Geno Smith. They're too young and too inconsistent to win their final three games, which probably is what it will take to have a chance at a wild-card spot. Remember, they haven't won two in a row all season, and there's no reason to think they can start now.

The offensively challenged Jets will have a hard time scoring points against the Carolina Panthers. When they can't run the ball and have to rely on Smith, it usually doesn't end well. Smith has talent, but he has thrown 20 interceptions, making poor decisions and trying to force the issue when adversity strikes -- typical rookie stuff. His supporting cast is highly suspect. You could argue that the only skill-position player meeting expectations is running back Chris Ivory. No doubt, the offense is headed for an overhaul in the offseason -- and that may include the quarterback position. At best, Smith remains a question mark.

Rex Ryan relied on his defense in most of the wins, but the unit appears to be wearing down. The Jets have allowed 838 total yards in the past two games, the highest back-to-back total in the Ryan era. If fatigue is a factor, it's understandable, considering how long the defense has been on the field. The once-formidable secondary, hurt by poor cornerback play, is allowing too many big plays. There's no telling how many yards the Jets will surrender to Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon. The recent addition of future Hall of Fame safety Ed Reed hasn't helped much.

Unfortunately for the Jets, they still have two games on the road. They're a terrible road team -- a 1-5 record, having been outscored 105-26 in the past three.

The Jets still are playing hard for Ryan, evidenced by last week's 37-27 win over the Oakland Raiders, but they simply don't have the talent or consistency to make a strong and late push for a wild-card spot. Even if they do make it interesting, their awful conference record (3-7) will doom them in applicable tiebreaker scenarios. The bigger suspense is whether Ryan will return. He has only one year remaining on his contract, and his record over the past three years is 20-25.

-- Rich Cimini, ESPN.com Jets reporter

San Diego Chargers (6-7)

Remaining games: at Broncos, vs. Raiders, vs. Chiefs

San Diego played its best game of the season this past Sunday in a 37-14 rout of the New York Giants to get to 6-7. However, the Chargers dug themselves too much of a hole to climb out of in the last three games to make a postseason run.

Even though they play two of their final three games at home, the Chargers face teams with a combined record of 25-14.

Miami already holds the head-to-head tiebreaker against the Chargers because they defeated San Diego earlier in the year. And San Diego has a worse conference record (3-6) than the Dolphins (6-3) and the Ravens (6-4), so the Chargers would have to finish a game ahead of both of those teams.

The Chargers also have been inconsistent, winning two games in a row only one time this season, so the likelihood of this team stringing three wins together, including a victory against the Broncos, who are undefeated at home, isnít good.

However, one thing giving San Diego a glimmer of hope is quarterback Philip Rivers. He's playing the best football of his career right now and is 27-6 in the month of December since taking over as the team's starter in 2006. Rivers also is 5-2 at Denver over that time. Having a franchise quarterback playing at a high level can help mask some of the mistakes this young team makes on a weekly basis.

Even with the fleeting playoff hopes, San Diego coach Mike McCoy said his team is focused on getting a win in Denver on Thursday.

"We are not worried about how we are going to feel next week or at the end of this year or what this does for next year," McCoy said. "We are trying to win every game we can -- the next game and that's all we are worried about. We are not worried about the future. The future is now."

-- Eric D. Williams, ESPN.com Chargers reporter

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   bleedsgreen Icon

• Pro Bowl
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

We have no chance unless we win out and get some help from other teams
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Jetsfan0099 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

The Dolphins... Easiest remaining schedule, they'll finish 9-7.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jetsfan115 Icon

• Assistant Head Coach
  • Icon
  • Group: Assistant Admin

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'd say the chargers are out. no way they beat den or KC let along both. they'll finish 7-9, Mia will lose to NE but probably beat us and buffalo and be 9-7, ravens will probably drop all 3 and be 7-9, we'll beat the browns and finish 7-9. sadly i think maimi is gonna get in easily based on that.

with that said. assuming mia loses to NE and if we can pull an upset off against carolina, week 17 could be a playoff game between us and mia
Get it done MT
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jetsman05 Icon

• Patron Saint of ESPNU
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Jets, Gators, Liverpool, Lightning

• NFL Team:

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ravens get in and go to the AFC title game

#6 User is offline   santana Icon

• I'm batman
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Keeping this place from breaking... and titties.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Chargers won their game

Looking slim every week
Posted Image
Damn it huevos rancheros move out the way!

#7 User is offline   azjetfan Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon
  • Interests:Football, golf, banking and home improvements

• NFL Team:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostJetsfan115, on 12 December 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

I'd say the chargers are out. no way they beat den

Opps
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm thinking it's too late for the Jets but the NFL has been a mess on a weekly basis. Time to see what the team's got.

#9 User is offline   JSOTF Icon

• LB Coach
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Lets see if we can even win 2 games in a row first!!! LOL... Then continue winning....Thats the only way to even think we might have a slim shot.....Im not betting my paycheck on it..

#10 User is offline   MikeGangGreenFan2 Icon

• THE KNICKS
  • Icon
  • Interests:playing football
    watching the yankees WIN
    playing video games
    and a shit load of other things.

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

THE JETS!!!
Posted Image Posted Image

#11 User is offline   sexyrexy Icon

• Special Teams
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postsantana, on 13 December 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Chargers won their game

Looking slim every week

If the Jets beat the Dolphins, I read they would have the tiebreaker with SD due to record vs common opponents.

Not saying it's likely, just saying SD isn't as big a threat as Baltimore or Miami at this point.
"My first thought was I looked and I saw who was second and [thought], 'Hey, I finally beat Belichick at something. I got him. I knew it would take time, but I finally got him.'"
--Rex Ryan on being voted the most overrated NFL head coach

#12 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Miami will get the final spot. Here's something to ponder...... New England could end up as a WildCard by way of Miami winning the division if they lose out and Miami wins out.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

#13 User is offline   Chaos Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostFlyHiJets, on 15 December 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Miami will get the final spot. Here's something to ponder...... New England could end up as a WildCard by way of Miami winning the division if they lose out and Miami wins out.

It's like being between a rock and a hard spot. I'll take NE failure over the Dolphins winning the division. It'll be painful nonetheless.

#14 User is offline   FlyHiJets Icon

• D Coordinator
  • Icon

• NFL Team:

• MLB:

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostChaos, on 15 December 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

It's like being between a rock and a hard spot. I'll take NE failure over the Dolphins winning the division. It'll be painful nonetheless.

Here's a nice thought for you though........if Miami & Baltimore both win out and New England loses out (unlikely but possible), New England not only loses the division but also miss the playoffs completely.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive.

When someone annoys u, it takes 42 muscles in ur face 2 frown. BUT, it only takes 4 muscles 2 extend ur arm & b!tch-slap that mother@*?!&! upside the head!!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users